Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

uPen posted:

Any idea on when it's expiring?

It's being closely monitored. You guys will know once we have an answer.

So, is it to late to join the "Who has the biggest GCCX directory" game?

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Can I note at this point that we all have tens of gigabytes on our disks dedicated to watching a middle-age Japanese dude play old video games? :v:

(Not that this is a bad thing, mind, that Bomberman episode ruled)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ledneh posted:

Can I note at this point that we all have tens of gigabytes on our disks dedicated to watching a middle-age Japanese dude play old video games? :v:

I bought a 32gig usb flash drive just to store GCCX episodes on. If I had the money I would have gotten a larger storage device. :ohdear:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I had no idea all the 24H segments combined would make up an hour-long video. Holy christ. I thought it'd be about 20-30 minutes. Good thing I decided to cut out most of the post-clip commentaries.

Gutcruncher posted:

Sorry, the Yooogle TransCriber CX knows no encouragement. It knows no happiness or pain. It knows only its programming.

That name amused me far more than it should. I want it as my new username. (Disclaimer: I'm kidding!)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Can anyone source me the song at the beginning of Abe's cooking bit in the condensed special? I've heard it before on the 3 minute cooking show that I see on the Japanese channel here in Southern California (18.2 on OTA).

The theme song to the Kewpie 3-Minute Cooking show. Here's the full version. It's a daily 10-minute show that's been running for half a century. Seriously, it started in 1963 and it's still going, so it's pretty much THE cooking theme in Japan.

britt posted:

Abe's cooking segments were my favorite part of the compilation. They are actually compelling me to go out and get some ramen for lunch.

Yeah I want to try making his pan-fried ramen now. Or at least as close an equivalent as I can manage. The show should sell some form of Abe cook book. Speaking of which, according to an interview I read in their latest book, they're not going to do Abe's food booth again because they ended up not being able to break even with that venture.

I'm not going to translate entire segments out of the book but there's a lot of interesting bits of info like that, so I'm going to compile them and post them here bullet point-style soon.

makere posted:

BTW, what's VTR short for? Video Tape Recording?

Yes. It's a commonly used term over there.

Some more info from the book: for several seasons some staff (I forget whom) refused to switch from VHS to digital recording, mostly out of stubbornness and wanting to stick to traditional ways. I forget what season they switched to digital but it sure made editing a hell of a lot easier for the directors.

The White Dragon posted:

If there's anything this episode has taught me, it's that Japan loving loves Jack Bauer.

Have you seen the series of Jack Bauer Calorie Mate commercials or The Jack Bauer Song made to promote the season 6 rental DVD?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 12, 2012

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Man, Abe knows what's up. You gotta grate your garlic, son. And get rid of those nasty-rear end ends on your sprouts.

Also, putting whole tiger prawns in the curry ramen: straight balla.

Edit: There should be a GIF of 'Tanny' ogling Toujima eating his ice cream. "You just love that ice cream, don't you, you naughty, naughty boy."

Tupperwarez fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 12, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

according to an interview I read in their latest book, they're not going to do Abe's food booth again because they ended up not being able to break even with that venture.

HWHAT

The only possible reason is that Abe is just too intimidatingly macho for all those shy cringing nerds. I would eat the hell out of anything Abe made. And I mean that in the creepiest way possible.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Speaking of giant GCCX directories I was just preparing some special bonus 24 hour challenge footage and my video stopped compiling because I had 700kb free.

So that's going to be slowed down for a few days until my new drive shows. I'll have more bonus :twentyfour: stuff soon though.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Corridor posted:

HWHAT

The only possible reason is that Abe is just too intimidatingly macho for all those shy cringing nerds. I would eat the hell out of anything Abe made. And I mean that in the creepiest way possible.

You are literally that girl at the one event that screamed 'Scold me, Abe-sama' while the crew walked past the line, aren't you?

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

Phuzzy posted:

girl at the one event that screamed 'Scold me, Abe-sama' while the crew walked past the line

weirdest boner, etc

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

irc://irc.synirc.net/retrochat

This is the SA IRC chat room for retro videogames. Lots of GCCX talk gets thrown around in there too.

Just reposting this to get more people to join in. If you don't have IRC, there are lots of handy built in extensions you can put in your Firefox or Chrome to use IRC.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Did Multiupload get taken down too? Can't seem to connect to it anymore.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

It could just be the servers being down, but seeing how they kind of hosted files as well I'd be unsurprised if they got shut down by the FBI.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ledneh posted:

I've been burning them to data DVDs season by season (and now that they're not doing goonseasons anymore, just when there's enough material to fill a DVD.)

I don't really have that much hard drive space to spare, so onto discs it goes.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ineffiable posted:

irc://irc.synirc.net/retrochat

This is the SA IRC chat room for retro videogames. Lots of GCCX talk gets thrown around in there too.

Just reposting this to get more people to join in. If you don't have IRC, there are lots of handy built in extensions you can put in your Firefox or Chrome to use IRC.

For Firefox users, what's the best extension/program that keeps a list of all your favorite IRC rooms?

Also, the audio quality of the last two Lemmings videos are noticeably lower quality than the other videos. I assume it's due to the source of the videos, but it's murder to listen to on headphones. Everyone speaks with a bit of an echo.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Chatzilla is pretty good.

Also, I cracked up at the Sega logo jingle lyrics. "Ki-be!"

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I absolutely lost it time and again for the Abe(the food!), Wrestling,and Tanii segments---I guess we are lucky that the SEX parody of the show isn't shadowing it directly otherwise the segments would just be too ridiculous considering how far the real team already took it into hilarious creepiness.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Is a master torrent going to be put together one day? All of the multiupload links have been busted for two days and theres a couple episodes I wanted to catch up on like Hokkaido Serial Murders.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I absolutely lost it time and again for the Abe(the food!), Wrestling,and Tanii segments---I guess we are lucky that the SEX parody of the show isn't shadowing it directly otherwise the segments would just be too ridiculous considering how far the real team already took it into hilarious creepiness.

The 24-hour segments alone would probably get the Health Department involved. Moshi Moshi Tactics would get a lot more interesting, though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I'm watching the video clip show now, and... holy crap. $290 for one udon dish? And Arino doesn't even react? Somebody's pampered.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm watching the video clip show now, and... holy crap. $290 for one udon dish? And Arino doesn't even react? Somebody's pampered.

Are you sure it wasn't 290 yen?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

uPen posted:

290 yen is like 4 bucks so no.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

uPen posted:

Remember, he was getting fresh fish for Arino, and you'd be surprise. I think because it is for TV, and because he was doing it for the boss, and because he's a big foodie, and because he's loving awesome, Abe was willing to spend that kind of money.

I mean seriously, Abe is awesome. Like he'll come to your house in the middle of the evening, cook you dinner, and then tell you to get back to playing your game and just watch in silence as you play and he drinks one of your beers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm 99% certain that most of that $290 went into other people's dishes as well. Arino probably got about $30 worth of ingredients that primarily went to him mainly in the fish that Abe bought enough of to make his portion. The stuff Abe was buying isn't that expensive; especially at a wholesale market like he went to (they didn't show much of it because Japanese viewers are going to be familiar with it but the market has hundreds of stalls like those so you can find really good deals on pretty much anything).

I also suspect that Abe really did spend the night at Nakayama's in the first segment. I think he went over there so the two of them could set off for Tsukiji first thing in the morning. That's important for getting the freshest ingredients since the stock there changes extremely rapidly.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 13, 2012

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Cemetry Gator posted:

...and because he's loving awesome, Abe was willing to spend that kind of money.
You mean he was willing to have someone else spend their money!

:v: "12,000 yen. Just for you."
:cool: "Pay him."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It's time for some more :twentyfour: content.

Kibe's Best Bouts

These segments didn't get translated because they're about 90% clip show that was used to fill time. In total they wind up being about an hour long though they finished it up by 7am.

For the segment Staff Writer Kibe counts down his ten favorite challenges and then a lengthy clip of the dramatic high point of that episode is shown.

10. Mega Man

They show the battle with Yellow Devil, the bane of ever Mega Man player's existence. Since this episode hasn't been translated yet I won't spoil the moment but it's a doozy of a fight.

9. Bonanza Brothers

Inoko MAX's "helpful" coop play is the focus of the clip.

8. Out of this World

They show Arino's fight against the shadow beast at the beginning of the game where he dies every way possible in that segment until he finally puts it all together.

7. Mighty Bomb Jack

The entire run against the last level during the fan event is shown.

6. Quiz: The Feudal Lord's Ambition

For the last round of the game Arino had to do the questions alone with only a few points of health remaining.

5. Quest of Ki

Okay, not really.

What they did show was the final run on level 98 that was the climax of eight hours of trying to beat it.

4. Ninja Gaiden

It's the final showdown but the sun is blinding Arino? Only one man can step up deal with this challenge.

3. Tokimeki Memorial

This was the only time that they didn't actually play a clip from the game. They no longer had the right to show extended footage from the game. So instead AD Itou redrew the scenes which they showed while audio from some of the high points of the episode played (occasionally cutting back to Arino's reaction).

Since this is something different here are all the pictures Itou drew:

2. Super Mario Brothers 2

Obviously this is the Japanese version (Lost Levels) rather than Doki Doki Panic (aka Super Mario 2 USA). The infamous triangle jump is shown off here.

1. Mystery of Atlantis

They show the final few levels of the run where Arino had to jump perfectly from pillar to pillar and then climb out of the level to find the correct path.

I've got one more :twentyfour: bonus coming but it's going to be pretty late in the week and probably of less interest to most people in the thread. It's just something that came to mind while working on the episode.

Bonus Abe:

Here's Abe promoting his manga which was in the Game Center CX Complete book:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I hope to see the Megaman 1 episode get translated soon. All the female AD Takahashi epiosoded are subed or in the process of being subbed(Waagan Land). Megaman is the only one left. The Yelloe Devil fight in Rockman and Rockman 3 are 2 of my top GCCX moments.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

joek0 posted:

I hope to see the Megaman 1 episode get translated soon. All the female AD Takahashi epiosoded are subed or in the process of being subbed(Waagan Land). Megaman is the only one left. The Yelloe Devil fight in Rockman and Rockman 3 are 2 of my top GCCX moments.

Dude, you seriously have a problem concerning female AD Takahashi.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Can we all agree that Inoko Max and Nakayama are tied for the top slot. I mean, Nakayama is so awesome, he just tries so hard, but it is clear that he isn't good on camera, which is what makes him great.

Here's a quick question: What did Inouye (Inoko Max) do during the Takeshi's Challenge Live Challenge that got such a negative reaction?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kiranamos posted:

Speaking of which are there any Sasano vids left to be subbed?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's a quick question: What did Inouye (Inoko Max) do during the Takeshi's Challenge Live Challenge that got such a negative reaction?

A very cheesy Beat Takeshi impression, apparently.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Kiranamos posted:

I just like the episodes she is in. She is a pretty capable AD even with her less than normal AD gaming experience.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Corridor posted:

Sasano...:allears:

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Corridor posted:

Sasano really only plays games during season 2. He is a Director in Season 3 and makes less appearances. He is gone by season 4.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

quote:

Hope Kotaku dies horrible death/releases rights, must see this. :stare:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

There may be a small appearance I'm forgetting but I don't think so. Urakawa has really taken over by the middle of season three and then after that he just doesn't turn up often, even in those "Let's get the old AD's back together" moments (other than Ninja Gaiden obviously).

Tojima, Inoue, and Nakayama seem to be their go to guys for when they want the old AD's to come back.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Checking in to say that I love Abe's cooking bits, and it doesn't even bother me that they go into "variety" mode with Arino being a picture-in-picture head on the top left. I usually hate that but with Arino in there it actually added to the experience.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Nickoten posted:

Checking in to say that I love Abe's cooking bits, and it doesn't even bother me that they go into "variety" mode with Arino being a picture-in-picture head on the top left. I usually hate that but with Arino in there it actually added to the experience.

It annoyed me a bit, though I'll grant that Arino did add a few good jokes. 99% of the time, though, I thought it was just distracting for no good reason. This one I'll just chalk up to cultural differences.

Abe really did steal the show this time. After Inoko MAX he's easily my favorite crew member. More cooking shows should have the host randomly look around somebody's fridge for a beer.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I'm a bit confused about the three current videos for the Lemming event. Don't tell me you are doing the entire 24 hour event, or the ones you did so far are based on features for the event?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The first video was an hour-long 'documentary' covering the event, shown after the fact. It plays out very similarly to a regular episode.

The second video is a compilation of various segments shown during the 24 hour event, edited together by the SA Team.

There isn't a third video, unless you're thinking of the epsiode where Arino first played lemmings, which is just a regular episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

If everyone is coming out with their favorite AD I need more Inoue Max.

All episodes with Most Shocking MAX needs to be translated!

Edit: Is there a Inoue/Abe segment? This must be seen!