Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Orzo posted:

So I picked up Alice Madness Returns from gamefly. It's actually pretty fun so far and really pretty. Did it just have bad marketing?

That so far tells me you're not too far in. The game is certainly fun and pretty. But then you start to realize that you've seen pretty much all the game has to offer and the rest of it is just doing the exact same thing in different pretty environments. I had a great time with it at first, but then after a while it just starts to draaaaaaag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Crappy Jack posted:

That so far tells me you're not too far in. The game is certainly fun and pretty. But then you start to realize that you've seen pretty much all the game has to offer and the rest of it is just doing the exact same thing in different pretty environments. I had a great time with it at first, but then after a while it just starts to draaaaaaag.

It definitely gets repetitive at the end where they just pad the game with making you do the same thing repeatedly. The combat and platforming is nothing to write home about but the art style is lovely, the scenery is lovely and the different dresses each level are lovely :gay:

Protip: Save your teeth/upgrade bucks for the Teapot Cannon- that weapon makes enemies go boom in just a few quick shots!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Crappy Jack posted:

Ah, I figured that might happen. You're right, I'm not that far in; hopefully the art direction is good enough to make me overlook the gameplay.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Orzo posted:

So I picked up Alice Madness Returns from gamefly. It's actually pretty fun so far and really pretty. Did it just have bad marketing?

Hope you enjoy playing the one and only boss fight the entire game has.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I thought the gameplay in Alice was mostly fine -- at least par for the course for that kind of platformer. The art direction was good, and each Chapter had a nice, distinct look. My major issue with the game was that each Chapter was at least an hour too long. The tedious things about the game would have had much less opportunity to be grating if they didn't stick around so drat long.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ChetReckless posted:

I thought the gameplay in Alice was mostly fine -- at least par for the course for that kind of platformer. The art direction was good, and each Chapter had a nice, distinct look. My major issue with the game was that each Chapter was at least an hour too long. The tedious things about the game would have had much less opportunity to be grating if they didn't stick around so drat long.
It feels like another causality of the AAA / AAA-downloadable divide. That same game, but stripped of the padding and with probably half the art content, would have worked terrifically as a $15 game about as long as Bastion or whatever. It seemed like they just didn't have $60 worth of game there... which is why I continue to wait to find it in a bargain bin someday soon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just played through the coop demo of Syndicate and it was actually pretty fun. But that trailer and the music at the end of the demo :stare: It looks amazing. I am kind of excited for it now after being kind of demoralized by all the naysayers in the Syndicate thread.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

ChetReckless posted:

Definitely agreeing with this. I thought the last really good level was the card bridge, and there's still 3-4 hours to get through after that. It is worth a play through though if you're interested. Also if you have some spare points kicking around pick up the DLC. It's cheap and makes the game very very easy if you want breeze through it.

Hartseeker
May 24, 2009

Strap one on, it's time to jam!
Since I'm planning to get Disgaea 4 sometime soon, I was thinking about picking up one of the PS3 Atelier games alongside it. I haven't played any of the previous ones, but the series seems like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. I really like life sim-type stuff like Persona and Harvest Moon, and these game seem pretty similar.

Since there have been a few already released over here, should I just pick one of them up, or should I just wait for the new one coming out? This probably won't be for a few months, so I have no idea if I'll be able to find one for cheap or not.

Also, since it's a Gust series, is there anything obnoxiously nerd-pandering in these games? Given the kind of poo poo I saw in Feinne's LP of Ar Tonelico 3 (Teenage stripper nanomachine android song mages?! :catstare:), I'd like to know ahead of time if the Atelier series has anything quite as bad in it, and whether or not it would detract from the overall gameplay.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Hartseeker posted:

Since I'm planning to get Disgaea 4 sometime soon, I was thinking about picking up one of the PS3 Atelier games alongside it. I haven't played any of the previous ones, but the series seems like the kind of thing I'd enjoy. I really like life sim-type stuff like Persona and Harvest Moon, and these game seem pretty similar.

Since there have been a few already released over here, should I just pick one of them up, or should I just wait for the new one coming out? This probably won't be for a few months, so I have no idea if I'll be able to find one for cheap or not.

Also, since it's a Gust series, is there anything obnoxiously nerd-pandering in these games? Given the kind of poo poo I saw in Feinne's LP of Ar Tonelico 3 (Teenage stripper nanomachine android song mages?! :catstare:), I'd like to know ahead of time if the Atelier series has anything quite as bad in it, and whether or not it would detract from the overall gameplay.

I have no idea on how hard the games are to come by nowadays but Atelier Totori is a great game if you're interested in them (Rorona isn't bad but Totori made a bunch of improvements to the formula that makes Rorona hard to go back to). But yeah Atelier Meruru comes out in May if you just feel like waiting for that. The games are very anime and occasionally pander-y, but they never reach AT3's levels of weirdness.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ChetReckless posted:

The art direction was good, and each Chapter had a nice, distinct look.

Yeah, to be fair, the art direction is amazing, and the parts where you're in the "real" world are some the best parts of the game. They're also what Tim Burton's Alice should've been, which made me kind of sad when I thought about it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I guess while it's up, what kind of games are the Atelier games anyways? I've never really gotten a clear cut description, most I can glean is that they're RPGs with some kind of simulation element.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hartseeker posted:

Also, since it's a Gust series, is there anything obnoxiously nerd-pandering in these games?

I don't think it's possible to have a Gust game without some level of pandering, but there are very few games that even begin to approach Ar Tonelico 3's level. If you could suffer through that, you should be fine. Get Totori, as it is substantially better than Rorona (basically 'Rorona but more').

sentrygun posted:

I guess while it's up, what kind of games are the Atelier games anyways? I've never really gotten a clear cut description, most I can glean is that they're RPGs with some kind of simulation element.

On the PS2, the Atelier games are just standard RPGs, but they have a strong crafting system with a focus on refining your recipes to make better and better versions of equipment.

On the PS3 and the DS, the Atelier games are about time management, fulfilling set tasks while trying to juggle adventuring, getting along with your party members in events, refining your recipes, and making money via alchemy requests.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

sentrygun posted:

You run an alchemy workshop where you take requests for items to craft, and go exploring to fight monsters and get more materials to craft more stuff. The combat is really simple but the crafting system is really the main focus of the game and is crazy deep. Time gradually passes as you do stuff and the plot advances on specific dates. Rorona gets really stressful with the constant request deadlines (main reason I didn't enjoy it so much), but Totori is much more laid-back and is a nice game to just chill out with.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Krad posted:

Hope you enjoy playing the one and only boss fight the entire game has.
Interesting point, I realized when I thought about this that I don't care about the number of boss fights in a game, ever. I'm fine with no boss fights as long as the normal gameplay is fun.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
All I had to see was "The Simpsons: Arcade Game" and I clicked purchase. Just wanted to post that

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the_american_dream posted:

All I had to see was "The Simpsons: Arcade Game" and I clicked purchase. Just wanted to post that
I read a review of that to the effect that because it doesn't have all the features of a modern beatemup, nor does it incorporate any Simpsons canon past the second season or so, it's awful.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I read a review of that to the effect that because it doesn't have all the features of a modern beatemup, nor does it incorporate any Simpsons canon past the second season or so, it's awful.

Not going to lie, im probably mainly buying it for the nostalgia. Much like the Turtles in Time arcade game, its not really adapted for home use. Its for that reason that I think the SNES Turtles in Time is the best version.

I mean you see something similar for the X-men arcade game. They are designed to be quarter munchers, so you get bosses that absolutely kick your rear end unless you spam mutant powers or slowly chip away at their health with incomplete combos.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Yeah, The Simpsons arcade game hasn't really aged well. It might be fun with a bunch of friends locally, but otherwise it's kind of a slog.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well I mean I can see how gameplay failings are a reason to knock it down on the review, but of course it doesn't have any Simpsons stuff past season two, it was made...during season two.

edit: also they dinged it for having characters from Life in Hell in it, which all the young'uns wouldn't recognize.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 13, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

"Lightning of genius" is the line for a big reveal in next month's issue of Official PlayStation Magazine France.

God of War 4? inFamous? MGS Rising: Revengeance?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Policenaut posted:

God of War 4? inFamous? MGS Rising: Revengeance?
Final Fantasy XIII-3?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Raiden Fighters III confirmed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you're considering all games that involve lightning in some way that could be almost anything.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Infamous 3? Although I don't know why OPSM France would get the exclusive

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Maybe Kratos is gonna go hit Thor in the face.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I preferred The Simpsons to that Turtles in Time reskin because at least The Simpsons was how I remembered it, warts and all. While I appreciate the reskin of TiT, the lack of some of the moves and levels the SNES version had really soured me on it.

Lightning of Genius and that being the French mag makes me think it's a new title from that Heavy Rain weirdo which would own.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Can anyone schooled in French say whether that is basically the expression "a flash of genius"? That's what they think over on 2ch, in that case it woudln't be anything to do with lightning.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eclair is literally lightning, but yeah that expression is "flash of genius."

The text below basically says "What can this image symbolize? The speed, power/force, or maybe strike twice?"

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 13, 2012

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It's probably just Lightning Bolt Simulation/Puzzler game made some weird eastern-europe country.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

OneDeadman posted:

It's probably just Lightning Bolt Simulation/Puzzler game made some weird eastern-europe country.

Maybe it's Fantavision 2!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think Sony actually has a new FantaVision game, Vita comes with this free little thing called "Fireworks" that you play around with and make fireworks like in that game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I preferred The Simpsons to that Turtles in Time reskin because at least The Simpsons was how I remembered it, warts and all. While I appreciate the reskin of TiT, the lack of some of the moves and levels the SNES version had really soured me on it.

Lightning of Genius and that being the French mag makes me think it's a new title from that Heavy Rain weirdo which would own.

The Turtles in Time reskin was even worse than the arcade original.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Samurai Sanders posted:

Can anyone schooled in French say whether that is basically the expression "a flash of genius"? That's what they think over on 2ch, in that case it woudln't be anything to do with lightning.

Aphrodite already translated it correctly, but it most likely is going to be Raiden/Revengeance related. Konami (and especially MGS) stuff is always announced in France/Germany first, even MG3 and SH3 debuted at GamesCon before they were even mentioned or even hinted at in Japan. There's a game expo in Germany at the end of February so it would line up, usually more toy focused rather than electronic stuff but I believe Konami has actually had stuff there before. GamesCon isn't til August though...

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 13, 2012

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009
drat, this weeks list of Playstation releases really hurts me. 5 sequels to some of my favorite Playstation franchises all in the same week and 4 of them are on a handheld console I do not want.

Oh well, at least Twisted Metal is awesome. But I would love to have a new Uncharted, Super Stardust, Lumines and WipEout to play.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Aphrodite posted:

Eclair is literally lightning, but yeah that expression is "flash of genius."

The text below basically says "What can this image symbolize? The speed, power/force, or maybe strike twice?"

Confirmed, Rocksteady is making a Flash game. :allears:

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Krad posted:

gently caress Flash, Green Lantern first.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Capcom_Unity streamed an English PS3 build of Dragon's Dogma yesterday. If you missed it, the stream recording is already up.

http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/b/308377887

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

The thread's just gonna keep recommending Valkyria Chronicles to literally everyone who posts, huh. Not that I have a problem with that, it owns.
The thread title should almost contain "We're Not Going to Shut Up About VC". I literally started it again last night on my new unit after my old one red lighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

Don't get my hopes up like that. :smith:

• Locked thread