Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity
I once tasted honey-glaced lamb with lavender that was delicious, but I have never managed to reproduce any similar effect with it at my kitchen :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
The Aussies have this stuff called Musk Candy. It is surgical appliance pink and tastes like Gramma's Avon drawer. Ack. ACK.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.

axolotl farmer posted:

Lavender smells like old people. Why would you ever want a dessert that tasted like old people?

I work in a nursing home. I should be so lucky if they smelled like lavender.

The things I tried last year that I didn't like were durian, some kind of minty jello thing in China, sea cucumber sushi, and dog.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When we would drive to Georgia from South Florida, we'd see these little stands on the side of the roads, with farmers selling their own peaches, boiled peanuts, and those gorgeous tomatoes. My dad would always pull over, buy a boatload of peaches, or boiled peanuts, or tomatoes, and let us eat some right then and there, while talking to the farmer for a bit. I remember biting into a ripe, fragrant peach, and having the thing explode in my mouth. The juice would splash the top, sides, and back of my whole mouth, even with a small bite, and a bit would run down my hand. I can remember those peaches to this day.

Never have I been able to stomach the peaches I've eaten outside of North Florida or Georgia. They're just nowhere near as good smelling or tasty. I feel you, SJury.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
There is no Kimchi for 60 miles of my house, and I can't stand the craving.
Edit: I just noticed the stickied thread, I know what I'm doing next weekend!

homerlaw fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 12, 2012

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

dino. posted:

When we would drive to Georgia from South Florida, we'd see these little stands on the side of the roads, with farmers selling their own peaches, boiled peanuts, and those gorgeous tomatoes. My dad would always pull over, buy a boatload of peaches, or boiled peanuts, or tomatoes, and let us eat some right then and there, while talking to the farmer for a bit. I remember biting into a ripe, fragrant peach, and having the thing explode in my mouth. The juice would splash the top, sides, and back of my whole mouth, even with a small bite, and a bit would run down my hand. I can remember those peaches to this day.

Never have I been able to stomach the peaches I've eaten outside of North Florida or Georgia. They're just nowhere near as good smelling or tasty. I feel you, SJury.

And then you grab another one and bite it without looking and chomp down on a stink bug :barf:

Sets one hell of an aversion in your head, and I'm still trying to get rid of it. I know you smell awesome and should taste good little peaches but I just can't stop thinking of the worst god drat taste and the vomiting for hours when I try to eat you. It's not you, it's me :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dino. posted:

Oh, god. gently caress me. The only thing I liked better than the peach stands were the pecan stands, or the little pecan grove stores that had pecan everything. We'd bring napkins with us because those peaches were just so incredibly good we couldn't wait until we got them home where it was a bit less likely to pour all over your shirt. Lottery tickets and peaches, every weekend in summer. :allears:

E: Lavender sucks because it's way too strong. I get hay fever around it and the taste makes me think of the time I tried to drink my mom's perfume as a kid, on a far less terrible scale. Either I've had it made terribly wrong or it's just not for me.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Man, lavender wins. I use springs to garish my bloody marys.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

A Bloody Mary with lavender should be a Bloody Maude or something.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Vegetable Melange posted:

Man, lavender wins. I use springs to garish my bloody marys.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GenericOverusedName posted:

And then you grab another one and bite it without looking and chomp down on a stink bug :barf:
This is worse than the entirety of the last thread to me.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Things I don't like even though foodlaw says I should:

Uni
Natto
Raw Clams
Green Peas
Fish Eyes
Brain
Kidney
Banana

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Toast posted:

Agreed with the lavender, I don't understand it... it isn't a nice dessert flavour. Even when it's done really well it's still not great and I just thinking about all the different more awesome flavours you could have used instead.

I make a honey mint lavender sauce with leg of lamb that is great. The key is to use only a little. I mean really, a little. The strength of the flavor is 100 times greater than the strength of the smell, so if you judge by smell, you will be eating a bowl of grandma-smelling soap.

For the sauce, I use a good full fat Greek yoghurt, fresh mint, salt, and lavender flowers. I let that all sit for about a day, then press the yoghurt through a strainer to remove mint leaves and lavender flowers. Then I add the honey to taste, and serve chilled. It is great.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Toast posted:

Agreed with the lavender, I don't understand it... it isn't a nice dessert flavour. Even when it's done really well it's still not great and I just thinking about all the different more awesome flavours you could have used instead.

I gotta disagree with this too. the first restaurant I worked in made an asian pear sorbet which I got stuck in charge of. it had star anise and some mint and lavender pearls, and it was absolutely stellar. I still make it every now and again because it's just that good - and try and find other places to use it (cold smoking works well) to highlight its light floral-y ness.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
I freely admit it's a personal taste thing, was just agreeing with Kiteless. I don't have a huge appreciation for floral flavours at the best of times and lavender really hits that button.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Rose or orange blossom water is delicious, speaking of flower notes. A little sprinkling in quince jelly or in a cassata siciliana filling goes a long way. It makes the whole kitchen smell like a perfume shop in a souk.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Gotta agree with the lavender hate, though I think it is less a product of the flower itself than ingrained western grandma memories.

Toast
Dec 7, 2002

GoonsWithSpoons.com :chef:Generalissimo:chef:
Yeah, rose is about my only exception to the rule. If only for rose turkish delight.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Test Pattern posted:

Things I don't like even though foodlaw says I should:

Natto
I think "foodlaw" readily accepts that natto is not for everyone.

I have difficulty coping with the notion of eating blue cheese, and I generally do not like eating the rind of soft cheeses like brie. I can't order cheese platters because I would be too embarrassed to ask for them to leave off blue cheeses.

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012
There is a lot of issues with odd food. I think a lot of it is cultural. I don't like being told that bleu (blau?) cheese is icky and I have no taste from people that like durian and eat those half-developed duck eggs (don't get the eggs at asian markets with the red stamp on them unless you know exactly what you are getting into), but then again I like things like haggis and morsilla, which are really just culturally competent sausages.

Is foodlaw the one that goes: "It is by food alone I set my stomach in motion. It is by the haute cuisine that my gut acquire speed, the heart acquires the burn, the heartburn becomes a warning. It is by my wallet alone I set the table in motion."?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
No, because often the best foods are the cheapest.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Man I would kill for a huge hunk of blue cheese, a baguette, and some wildflower honey right now.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Desiree Cousteau posted:

bleu (blau?) cheese

Blue.

I should make a risotto soon. I have dried porcini mushrooms and garlic and I can think of a few other things to put in it. Probably rosemary.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lavender in desserts is awesome. You are all as broken as the former spicehate thread people

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Do you like patchouli in your desserts, too? Because that's on the same level as appetizing, to me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

kiteless posted:

Do you like patchouli in your desserts, too? Because that's on the same level as appetizing, to me.

I've never had it, but I'm sure in the right hands and in the right prep it could work.

Edit: Maybe a cardamom and hemp custard, coffee caramel, and patchouli air.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kenning posted:

Man I would kill for a huge hunk of blue cheese, a baguette, and some wildflower honey right now.

That does sound pretty amazing. Blue cheese was one of those foods for me that I always, always hated until I finally tried some gourmet as gently caress blue cheese and what I was supposed to appreciate finally clicked for me.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I've never had it, but I'm sure in the right hands and in the right prep it could work.

Edit: Maybe a cardamom and hemp custard, coffee caramel, and patchouli air.

I'd eat that completely unironically.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Okay, this is a set of menus from restaurants/hotels/steamboats in the 1800s, and it rules rules rules:

http://digital.lib.uh.edu/cdm4/browse.php?CISOROOT=%2Fp15195coll34

They loving love boiled meat though:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I just read the devil in the white city and the best parts that weren't about civic planning were the menus.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Okay, this is a set of menus from restaurants/hotels/steamboats in the 1800s, and it rules rules rules:

this is literally the coolest loving thing

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
That reminds me, my local train station has a small museum, and I can see from outside that they've got a couple of old menus from dining cars. Next time the museum is open, I'll go snap some photos.

Edit: One of the few things I cherish about no longer being a mod: I don't have to click on horrible links to see if anyone needs a ban. Thanks for the cleansing, mp.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

The type and handwriting :swoon:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ricola, those old menus are awesome. Sending the link all across the office now.

Did you come across these as part of your dadjob?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Round of beef a la mode sounds an awful lot like svíčková, the Czech national dish. It's pretty tasty. I should probably do a thread about it at some point.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vegetable Melange posted:

I just read the devil in the white city and the best parts that weren't about civic planning were the menus.

That was a pretty good book.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

I made C&C cakery's lavender cupcakes with lemon cream cheese frosting and they were amazing. Not at all overpowering.

Also. Tupelo honey- overrated or awesome? I discovered the Marine Corps MCX (Why can't we have nice things, Army?) and they carry it in their gourmet foods section. Can't decide if it's worth twenty bucks, though.

i shoot friendlies
Jun 25, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

I discovered the Marine Corps MCX (Why can't we have nice things, Army?)

Because you don't rate. USMC alum, San Diego, 1998.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Steakandchips posted:

Ricola, those old menus are awesome. Sending the link all across the office now.

Did you come across these as part of your dadjob?

No, Mrs. Ricola found them while digging through archives of old books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
You know those plastic knife edge guard things? Anyone know a source for 'em longer than 12"?