Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Splizwarf posted:

You missed the part where I said my Nook handles my pdfs quite well and makes my computer look lovely. Also, where I chimed in during the several page discussion about how well the Nook handled pdfs. I have no idea how you got "an iPad would be better for him" from what I said, I think you might've been pretty selective in your reading.

Sure, your Nook handles pdfs well. But, have you seen the last few pages of people talking about wonky behavior they have with pdfs on Android? Unfortunately because it works well on your device doesn't mean it will on others.

quote:

I tried to treat this reasonably but it's basically a (maybe unintentional) troll, since it's in response to me saying I have a tablet that I can take notes on and read textbooks, which lacks only Bluetooth to be perfect.

I got the impression you were looking for a new tablet. Sorry if that isn't the case.

quote:

is a dick thing to say. My reasons are valid because they're my reasons. Are you seriously trying to tell me my opinion is "false"? :rolleyes:
Your opinion is false because it's not based in reality, and several people have already pointed that out. If I said I didn't want a PS3 because it only had 5 games to choose from, then my opinion is wrong because it's based upon incorrect information.

quote:

Dude, seriously; I already own an Android tablet that I like, and you clearly don't and don't intend to, so what's your stake in this thread? Why are you here?

Chill out. Again, my apologies since you weren't looking for a new tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Splizwarf posted:

Also, this:

is a dick thing to say. My reasons are valid because they're my reasons. Are you seriously trying to tell me my opinion is "false"? :rolleyes:
No, your opinion isn't false. What you said you based your opinion on is false. iTunes isn't this clunky thing you're making it out to be anymore. (There also should be no reason you'd need to restore a Mac formatted iPod from OS X instead of Windows to make it work, as well, but whatever). I haven't managed my iPhone in iTunes since the final betas of iOS5. There's just no need anymore. On top of that, there's this irrational fear people seem to have of iTunes, like it's this impossible software that ruins lives merely by opening. It's just a program you manage your media with. Instead of dragging a file into your Kindle folder on your Android phone, you drag the files into the Kindle app sharing pane in iTunes. Etc, etc. It's just really not the issue you're making it out to be, especially since iOS5 untethered everything, so that makes your reasoning false, even if your opinion technically can't be.

Also this:

quote:

Dude, seriously; I already own an Android tablet that I like, and you clearly don't and don't intend to, so what's your stake in this thread? Why are you here?
isn't going to magically make people go away.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

I tried to treat this reasonably but it's basically a (maybe unintentional) troll, since it's in response to me saying I have a tablet that I can take notes on and read textbooks, which lacks only Bluetooth to be perfect.
How was my post a troll, exactly? I actually wanted to know what his objections were to the ipad since it did everything he was looking for. It just seemed odd to me that he was pretty against getting one for no reason in his initial post.

quote:

Actually, I have owned a few android tablets in the past and gotten burned on those purchases pretty badly, one in particular being the gtablet. Mostly cause I was busy trying to fix them and justify how they aren't horrid pieces of poo poo instead of just returning them.

And why am I here? I guess I like discussing about Android tablets too. You see, serious discussions don't have to be glowing praise about the subject matter. Sometimes it can include critiques as well.

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Basically I'm asking what tablet I should get for 3-400 bucks. The bigger then better.

You could look into this one and see if it fits your bill.
http://lepantab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kitten smoothie posted:

You said you don't want an iPad because you don't like plugging it into iTunes. They told you that you never need to plug an iOS 5 device into iTunes, not even once. You can choose to reject that reality and substitute your own all you want, but it doesn't make it any less factually incorrect.

I didn't say that, I gave an anecdotal example of an issue I had with a related product, implying that my problems with it were partly from not understanding how Apple does stuff. I explicitly said I didn't want an iPad because I don't want to take the time to learn the ropes of a third OS. I tried to be super clear about it. v:shobon:v

El Duke posted:

isn't going to magically make people go away.

When I said that I was responding specifically to

My Linux Rig posted:

Have you seen how people waste their time on them here? Adding wires to the gps to make it usable, rooting them, flashing them with hacked up roms, disassembling them and adding cardboard to them, etc.

Which seemed like an "outside, looking in" thing to say, I didn't get from that an impression that he'd actually owned one, much less several; my bad. I wasn't trying to get him to leave, I was seriously trying to ask what his interest in being here was, which he answered. I agree with Doctor rear end in a top hat, though, I think few if any of us here are doing goofy hardware mods to try and fix our equipment; that's why My Linux Rig's comment scans as a weird cheap shot.

My Linux Rig, I tried to be clear about why I thought your post was a bit of a troll, I said "I have an Android tablet that almost meets my needs, the only thing missing is Bluetooth" and your answer is "Get an iPad"; can you see where that might taken badly?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Splizwarf posted:

I didn't say that, I gave an anecdotal example of an issue I had with a related product, implying that my problems with it were partly from not understanding how Apple does stuff. I explicitly said I didn't want an iPad because I don't want to take the time to learn the ropes of a third OS. I tried to be super clear about it. v:shobon:v

Look, if you want an Android tablet because you're already invested in the ecosystem, just say it. As many people pointed out, iOS5 has COMPLETELY eliminated the need to ever plug your ipad into iTunes. From unboxing to the day you sell it/you break it/it dies. Backups go to iCloud and are restored from iCloud upon setup (and it magically redownloads all of your apps).

As for learning a new OS, it's literally 5 seconds to pick up iOS. If you come from the tinkering background of Android, this should be a non-issue for you. "Press butan, launch app" is about as simple as it gets.

IDGAF if you want an Android tablet or an iPad, but harping on this whole I HATE ITUNES AND I DONT WANT TO LEARN A NEW OS is a veiled "heh, Crapple iBad amirite?"

No one trolled you, they were pointing out your bad arguments, based on your (once completely valid) experiences. Chill. Want an Android? Go for it.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I just said I have an Android tablet. I think I said that in each of my last several posts.

LmaoTheKid posted:

As for learning a new OS, it's literally 5 seconds to pick up iOS. If you come from the tinkering background of Android, this should be a non-issue for you. "Press butan, launch app" is about as simple as it gets.

If this was the case, my wife would never have any complaints or frustrations with her iPhone. This seems like a suspicious blanket generalization.

LmaoTheKid posted:

I DONT WANT TO LEARN A NEW OS is a veiled "heh, Crapple iBad amirite?"

What the gently caress? No, it's an "I'm loving busy and don't care", like I said pretty clearly.

LmaoTheKid posted:

your (once completely valid) experiences.

Really? Because it happened last weekend; wow. I guess this poo poo changes pretty fast, I can't keep up anymore.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

LmaoTheKid posted:

iOS5 has COMPLETELY eliminated the need to ever plug your ipad into iTunes.

I wouldn't go as far as "COMPLETELY". You still need iTunes to transfer files into apps, and Wifi sync is a bit on the clunky side at times meaning it's often faster/less hassle to just plug it in.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Instead of releasing the Galaxy Tab 2, Samsung should just update the Galaxy Tab Plus to ICS. It's an upgrade in software only ffs, never change Samsung.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Is there any way to make Chrome on a tablet report itself as a desktop browser? They put that "request desktop version" in the stock browser but inexplicably it seems missing in Chrome.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kitten smoothie posted:

Is there any way to make Chrome on a tablet report itself as a desktop browser? They put that "request desktop version" in the stock browser but inexplicably it seems missing in Chrome.

No. This has been a pretty common complaint. Plus it doesn't do Flash.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
As it is a beta product I'm sure features like that will be added, not Flash though.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

ScottyJSno posted:

Is the Acer Iconia Tab A500 all that bad? and is the USB port only good for fat32?

I like mine, there is a ICS Rom out there for it. Havn't tried using the USB port for anything but charging other devices though.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

No. This has been a pretty common complaint. Plus it doesn't do Flash.

Flash mobile is dead. I'm not sure why Flash support is even considered a feature anymore.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Deuterieux posted:

Flash mobile is dead. I'm not sure why Flash support is even considered a feature anymore.

Sometimes its pretty cool to watch streaming sports on your phone when you're on the bus or train.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Deuterieux posted:

As has been pointed out, people do use it. Since I've been using the Chrome browser I've run into a few instances where I yearned for flash.

Of course in one of those instances when I switched to Browser+ flash didn't even work, but yea, it's flash. I'll be happy when it truly is dead.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

E2M2 posted:

Sometimes its pretty cool to watch streaming sports on your phone when you're on the bus or train.

If you're in the US, the Watch ESPN app could be pretty useful for this, assuming your cell provider partners with ESPN.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Justin.tv/Twitch.tv doesn't have a htlm5 site. Only reason I still like flash. Been thinking of trying to make an Adobe Air app to fix that though.

nimper posted:

If you're in the US, the Watch ESPN app could be pretty useful for this, assuming your cell provider partners with ESPN.

Your cable provider has to support it too I think. I always have to log into my Time Warner account when I use this anyways. Funny thing is Watch ESPN is a flash app and requires adobe air

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

donglelord posted:

Justin.tv/Twitch.tv doesn't have a htlm5 site. Only reason I still like flash. Been thinking of trying to make an Adobe Air app to fix that though.

Your cable provider has to support it too I think. I always have to log into my Time Warner account when I use this anyways. Funny thing is Watch ESPN is a flash app and requires adobe air

https://market.android.com/details?id=tv.justin.android.viewer&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsInR2Lmp1c3Rpbi5hbmRyb2lkLnZpZXdlciJd

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Whoaa, but This app is incompatible with all of your devices. It is also apparently very lovely.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Five bucks with a two star rating?

I'll stick to flash for now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Vagrancy posted:

You still need iTunes to transfer files into apps

There are apps that can access the file system without itunes and you can manually put stuff into your device. The mame app works this way. Apps can also provide wifi access independent of itunes to copy data too and from the device.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Vagrancy posted:

I wouldn't go as far as "COMPLETELY". You still need iTunes to transfer files into apps, and Wifi sync is a bit on the clunky side at times meaning it's often faster/less hassle to just plug it in.

I don't have a ton of apps that use documents, but if I click a download link or attachment for .xls files, .epub files or .pdf files, I can download them right to the appropriate app. From my limited experience with the iOS SDK I know you can register file extensions globally, so as long as your app registers its extension you should be able to put files on the device from the browser or from DropBox or from emails or what have you.

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 13, 2012

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Don Lapre posted:

There are apps that can access the file system without itunes and you can manually put stuff into your device.

Those still require iTunes installed to interface with the device, so you might as well just use iTunes.

quote:

Apps can also provide wifi access independent of itunes to copy data too and from the device.

True, though you can't always guarantee that the app developer has implemented such a method. Dropbox sync is a much more common implementation, and even that gets left out at times.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

edit: Nevermind.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Is there any plan for Samsung to upgrade the Tab 8.9 to ICS?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

wandler20 posted:

There is, the real question is when it will happen and if it will be before the heat death of the universe.

My money is on no.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ScottyJSno posted:

Is the Acer Iconia Tab A500 all that bad? and is the USB port only good for fat32?

It definitely works with NTFS volumes too, at least on the stock firmware (currently 3.2)

The main issue I have with my A500 is sheer heft - its on the chubby side even for a fairly early Honeycomb tablet. Some build issues too, flimsy microSD slot cover, cruddy feeling orientation lock switch but these are pretty minor in the scheme of things.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

wandler20 posted:

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=8894

They say it will, but their clever weasel wording on the blog post here makes clear that they have no timeline in mind.

Meanwhile today they launch a device with nearly equivalent specs and ICS. Samsung strikes again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

dissss posted:

It definitely works with NTFS volumes too, at least on the stock firmware (currently 3.2)

The main issue I have with my A500 is sheer heft - its on the chubby side even for a fairly early Honeycomb tablet. Some build issues too, flimsy microSD slot cover, cruddy feeling orientation lock switch but these are pretty minor in the scheme of things.

Yeah, the A500 is about an average experience for its generation. Nothing really great, nothing really terrible. A bit too big and clunky but still a tablet.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Splizwarf posted:

My Linux Rig, I tried to be clear about why I thought your post was a bit of a troll, I said "I have an Android tablet that almost meets my needs, the only thing missing is Bluetooth" and your answer is "Get an iPad"; can you see where that might taken badly?

My answer wasn't "get an ipad", rather my question was "why don't you want an iPad?", cause it seemed a bit weird that you stated that exclusion for no particular reason.

If you want advice on buying tablets and say "I don't want an ipad", someone might want to know why so they can give you better advice.

Edit: oh, I must have misread the "I wish I had a tablet" and took it as a request for buying advice. Sorry, but it's not like the question wasn't valid.

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 13, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

davestones posted:

Perhaps rather foolishly we have just invested in a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 purely for magpie purposes. Aside from browsing the internet and using BBC iplayer is there any other suggestion as to what it could be used to do, or any apps etc that are a must-have? We both use Nexus android phones so are well-versed on the ecosystem but half of our apps don't seem to exist for this thing on the marketplace.

Wading through the internet posts about rooting and whether pdfs render faster than a kindle etc is rather tedious at times!

Makes a good ebook reader. Also, crucially, Worms in 10.1"! The Awful app (sa reader), but presumably you have that for your phones. Office type apps and viewers are good on my XOOM, thanks mostly to the screen size.

But hold on, this is a samsung device. There should be 37 strange proprietary apps for making toast, designing virtual flowers, counting pet hair, weighing your stool and sharing the results with acqaintances and of course keeping track of your starcraft ii games. Are the Koreans losing their touch???

E: just wanted to say, for the benefit of the couple of goons asking about purchasing a tablet, that my 3.2 XOOM doesn't have any glaring issues with os or interface. In fact, I haven't had anything, unless you count the google books app not wanting to work. It's not slow at anything, even with a screen and a half of apps queued up. Lots of connectivity and the screen is great. I didn't buy an ipad for a number of reasons which include the fact that an ipad 2 in similar spec would be nearly twice the price, with the only obvious benefits being that it's slightly slimmer. The built in browser does what it says on the tin. I'm not a doctrinaire apple hater and have an ipod touch which is very good at being a music player with extra stuff that isn't poo poo. But even without ICS, the apple product didn't come close to justifying its price to me. I've had more app problems with the ipod than I have had so far with the xoom, which although I've not had it long, has a lot more apps on it already. I'm struggling to find anything to hate basically. Maybe I need to get a. Pdf reader...

Saga fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 13, 2012

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Getting a tablet for my wife soon. She wants something that's good with a stylus so she can draw, is the flyer pretty much our best choice at the moment?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

ScottyJSno posted:

I've had mine for a week and a half and I like it alot. Only complaint I have is that 720p playback can be a bit choppy sometimes and it is a tad heavy, but for $349 I have no buyer's remorse.

Replying on it via the Awful app as a matter of fact :haw:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Flyer, Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet, Samsung Note

If you want something different, you could import an Asus EA800. drat, I wanted one but they never brought it to the states.

Otherwise, look into a Windows 7 tablet. There are quite a few. Just be sure that they have a proper pen digitizer.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I've had mine for a week and a half and I like it alot. Only complaint I have is that 720p playback can be a bit choppy sometimes and it is a tad heavy, but for $349 I have no buyer's remorse.

720p playback is bad on all Tegra2 devices right? I think if you encode them a certain way they will play back better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

May I ask where you got it for $350?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004XZL980/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1329190318&sr=8-1&condition=used

You can get them for about $300 used on Amazon

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Wal-Mart still has it on sale locally, but inventory is low. I was gonna get the 7" version on sale for $259 (since, gently caress, it was only $60 more than a Kindle Fire) but no one had them in stock so I said gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So why does each stylus I've seen all have large points? I've tried to find a fine point stylus, but the few I've seen have a fine pont that require you to attach a circular disc at the end.

Is there a TRUE fine point stylus out there? Like ones used on computer drawing tablets.

Also, I sent my Prime in for RMA last week. The rma status page says they haven't received it yet. My delivery receipt said it would be delivered on saturday(USPS). How long should I wait until I contact asus to see if they received it?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 14, 2012