Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0g
Jul 18, 2003

I'm curious.... have any of you used a zofran pump? My wife is on and I'm kind of paranoid its going to somehow hurt the baby. I read online that its a class b and somewhat safe but now I'm curious if any of guys used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

car dance posted:

I am 35 weeks pregnant now and I can actually feel my hips shifting, widening and pulling apart when I move. I actually feel sometimes like they're going to snap, though I know it's probably normal. Is this related to anything that may be a sign that I'm going to go in to labor soon or can this happen way before birth?

I'm a 35 weeker too and have had loose, clicky hips since around week 18. Its gotten to the point where I can't roll in bed or get up without feeling like they're dislocating. My physio said it's supposed to happen a few weeks before birth, but some people are unlucky and the hormone surge that causes it happens earlier.

Any tips from goon mommas about how to cope with this stage in pregnancy? I'm not bored, I have plenty of college work that I'd like to get done before the baby arrives. I'm just so sick of being pregnant right now. There seem to be zero options for going out and I'm so uncomfortable and irritable. Who are these crazy women who enjoy being pregnant?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
I just ate a lot of my favorite foods at that point--not exactly the best coping strategy, but it cheered me up. :) Bowlsful of blackberries at a time. And I think that was about the time when I started answering "How are you?" with "DONE." There comes a time where you just run out of excited perkiness!

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

netally posted:

Any tips from goon mommas about how to cope with this stage in pregnancy? Who are these crazy women who enjoy being pregnant?

Unfortunately I have no advice for you, but as one of the crazy women who enjoyed being pregnant I can say it was because the kid wasn't causing me to be uncomfortable. I never had any of the problems most women have in late pregnancy. Clicking hips? No. Shortness of breath? No. Nausea? No. Having to pee constantly? No. Painful Braxton Hicks? No. Etc....

I think Ezra was being good to me so I wouldn't evict him from the womb. He was born at nearly 41 weeks and only then because he was forcebly removed. If it was up to him, he would still be in there now.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Ate a ton of my favorite foods, washed and put away all the cute baby clothes, laid around watching Netflix and cuddling with my husband, floated around in my ym's pool, tried not to think about my due date.

Pregnant women hate hearing this but at least in my experience it's loving true: relax and sleep while you can. People told me this and I rolled my eyes like the giant cranky pregnant bitch I was, but I should have listened.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

b0g posted:

I'm curious.... have any of you used a zofran pump? My wife is on and I'm kind of paranoid its going to somehow hurt the baby. I read online that its a class b and somewhat safe but now I'm curious if any of guys used it.

I hadn't heard for a pump for Zofran before, but Zofran is given out in pill form by pretty much all OBs for even mild morning sickness. Everyone I know who has been pregnant in the past 3 years or so has gotten Zofran, myself included. Plenty of my friends used it every day, multiple times a day, and were fine.

I'm personally paranoid and chose not to take it, except two times when I hadn't eaten for a few days and I felt the risk of not eating for days was greater than the risk from the pill. For the record, all of my friends think I'm taking caution to the extreme.

It's one of those decisions where you can only go on the information that's available to you at the time, and right now the available information is "we don't think it's a problem." We all grew up drinking from plastic bottles with BPA in them and nowadays people act like one plastic container is going to kill your baby, but I think most of us have all our limbs and major organs. And our parents certainly can't and shouldn't beat themselves up over any risk that BPA may or may not pose because at the time, there was no indication that there was any risk whatsoever.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Twatty Seahag posted:

Pregnant women hate hearing this but at least in my experience it's loving true: relax and sleep while you can. People told me this and I rolled my eyes like the giant cranky pregnant bitch I was, but I should have listened.

I wish I had gotten off my rear end and finished a handful of projects I had laying around my house. I was all :smug: thinking "I'll just do it when the baby is napping" and those projects are still laying around unfinished 14 months later.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

VorpalBunny posted:

I wish I had gotten off my rear end and finished a handful of projects I had laying around my house. I was all :smug: thinking "I'll just do it when the baby is napping" and those projects are still laying around unfinished 14 months later.

Yeah, same here. It never crossed my mind that my baby would not nap or sleep without my boob in her mouth. :suicide: Case in point: there is a 3-month size sweater for her on knitting needles missing a sleeve. She is 13 months old.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

netally posted:

I'm a 35 weeker too and have had loose, clicky hips since around week 18. Its gotten to the point where I can't roll in bed or get up without feeling like they're dislocating. My physio said it's supposed to happen a few weeks before birth, but some people are unlucky and the hormone surge that causes it happens earlier.

Any tips from goon mommas about how to cope with this stage in pregnancy? I'm not bored, I have plenty of college work that I'd like to get done before the baby arrives. I'm just so sick of being pregnant right now. There seem to be zero options for going out and I'm so uncomfortable and irritable. Who are these crazy women who enjoy being pregnant?

Sounds exactly like my pains. I'm definitely also sick as hell of being pregnant. She's a boxer in there and hiccups hurt and my wrists aren't getting enough blood and my feet sure are! This is my first kid. What I've been trying to do to make things easier on myself to make myself more comfortable is to have a lot of pillows around where I'm sitting. I also have been making lots of lists about the awesome things I'm going to do once I can actually walk normally again. Oh and looking on baby websites for things (nesting while not having to move my lower half). Naps are also great, as simple as that sounds.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

netally posted:

Any tips from goon mommas about how to cope with this stage in pregnancy?

I'm 37+5 now and completely over being pregnant. I think it has more to do with the fact that I'm still working a very physically demanding job than it has to do with the pregnancy itself. Just the thought of having to go back to work tomorrow with how pregnant I am is so depressing. My hands are swollen and numb, my feet are swollen, my back has finally started to hurt, I'm completely exhausted all the time...The only saving grace is that I love my job and my co-workers are awesome.

I wish I could offer some helpful advice but I really just feel the same way you do and want it to all be over with. I try to rest up during the weekends but it's so boring and lonely.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Bahunter22 posted:

Yes. They're turning white after she's done, then they burn for a few minutes after and then the color returns to normal. They're also often squished into the shape of her mouth for a bit when she's done.

I had this exact thing happen to me in the first month. How old is your kid again? It seemed to resolve as his mouth got bigger so he could get a deeper latch.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

netally posted:

I took a bath everyday (sometimes two hours) and I'm pretty sure that it helped me in a lot of different ways - relaxing, sore muscles and joints, circulation.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.

Bahunter22 posted:

Anyone with big knockers have experience with nipple blanching after they nurse? I'm getting baby to open as wide as possible when she nurses and I make sure to break the latch (correctly) if its causing pain right off the bat, but the blanching when we are done is really lovely and it burns.

Fortunately I don't get the burn, but my nipples definitely get compressed, in the "new lipstick" shape. Check out this page on Kellymom for info about blanching after nursing. It could still be a shallow latch. For all the insistence in articles that pain is not normal and you can correct it, sometimes there's just not a lot you can do at first since the baby's mouth is so tiny. For me the latch keeps getting better over time as he gets bigger.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Mangue posted:

I'm 37+5 now and completely over being pregnant. I think it has more to do with the fact that I'm still working a very physically demanding job than it has to do with the pregnancy itself. Just the thought of having to go back to work tomorrow with how pregnant I am is so depressing. My hands are swollen and numb, my feet are swollen, my back has finally started to hurt, I'm completely exhausted all the time...The only saving grace is that I love my job and my co-workers are awesome.

I wish I could offer some helpful advice but I really just feel the same way you do and want it to all be over with. I try to rest up during the weekends but it's so boring and lonely.

How are you still working? :psyduck:

I have a customer service job at a desk and I took off on disability at 36 weeks. I thought I was just being lazy, but my god, at 38.5 weeks now, I am so grateful I did. I'm exhausted all the time and my brain has melted out of my ears. You are a lot stronger of a woman than I am!

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

How are you still working? :psyduck:

I have a customer service job at a desk and I took off on disability at 36 weeks. I thought I was just being lazy, but my god, at 38.5 weeks now, I am so grateful I did. I'm exhausted all the time and my brain has melted out of my ears. You are a lot stronger of a woman than I am!

Mostly it's out of not really having a choice. I just got this job back in November so I'm a brand new employee, don't qualify for FMLA, and even though I'm ridiculously pregnant, I can still perform my job duties. I'm still on orientation/in training and work under the supervision of someone else at all times so they can pick up any slack or step in if I'm screwing something up.

I really do think my job will help get this little one out quicker though. At my 37 week appointment I was 3cm, 70% effaced, and at 0 station. All that walking around every day has jump started my progression I think. I'm hopeful that I'll have this little bugger within the next week. Hopefully. Please?!?!?!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mangue posted:

Mostly it's out of not really having a choice. I just got this job back in November so I'm a brand new employee, don't qualify for FMLA, and even though I'm ridiculously pregnant, I can still perform my job duties. I'm still on orientation/in training and work under the supervision of someone else at all times so they can pick up any slack or step in if I'm screwing something up.

I really do think my job will help get this little one out quicker though. At my 37 week appointment I was 3cm, 70% effaced, and at 0 station. All that walking around every day has jump started my progression I think. I'm hopeful that I'll have this little bugger within the next week. Hopefully. Please?!?!?!

This really bums me out to hear :( We really need mandatory paid maternity leave in the US.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
I had some stuff about short term disability, but decided that I really should just let it go. Basically I only got a third of what I got from my last leave under the same circumstances, but there's nothing I can do about it now. I guess I just recommend doing your research before taking your leave to maximize your benefit.

My company just hires the lamest people around (myself not included of course). I was working up to and including the day I had my second, because I had to fix my coworker's mess. I just sit on my rear end all day, but it's mentally taxing. Plus it was my last chance at a full night's sleep and I was up until at least midnight working on it. Stupid jerk still screwed it up and I had to rewrite everything once I got back.

opie fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 6, 2012

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Thanks for all the advice. I'm just one of those annoying people who isn't good at relaxing, but I will try to get in lots of bath and naps when I can! I think I'm mostly sick of the hip pain. I'm usually pretty active, and lately its been hard to even go for a short walk without pain. I should enjoy being lazy and fat while I can!

Mangue posted:

That's awful. You're my hero right now for being able to do this! Aren't work concerned about you going into labour on the job? I hope you're not at risk of injury.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

netally posted:

Thanks for all the advice. I'm just one of those annoying people who isn't good at relaxing, but I will try to get in lots of bath and naps when I can! I think I'm mostly sick of the hip pain. I'm usually pretty active, and lately its been hard to even go for a short walk without pain. I should enjoy being lazy and fat while I can!

Honestly, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. I had a REALLY hard time relaxing pretty much the whole third trimester and it drove me nuts that people kept telling me to "get rest while I could" or however they phrased it. And as it turned out, I slept better when my baby came than I did before, I think mostly because I wasn't bothered by laying down with her (we still cosleep now) and I had no problem napping when she napped.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I'm spending pretty much every weekend sat on my couch with my laptop (bought during pregnancy, to keep myself entertained!), and each evening in the bath. No relaxation problems here :D Now if only I didn't have to work during the day!! Another 12 weeks to go before I'll be stopping work, and I've had enough already.

Mostly just laziness though, rather than true discomfort. I'm more tired than usual and the hours are long (in work 11+ hours) but it's a desk job so not physically taxing at least.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm in week 36 and don't have too many big complaints. Since I have GD I'm tired of eating healthy. I want a hot fudge sundae and bbq chicken pizza something fierce.

Etiquette question...my office pitched in and threw me a surprise shower on Friday. I don't know who donated money but I'd like to show my appreciation. How do I show my gratitude to the nameless group? Office wide email? Suggestions?

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
My baby has a Mongolian spot. I had no idea Caucasian babies could have them! For the first few days of his life I thought he had a bruise on his butt, and was ready to have words with the nursery staff. He's nearly a month old now and it hasn't faded and doesn't hurt, so it's just a regular old Mongolian blue spot. Anyway, as I researched it, I saw that apparently Mongolian spots can raise questions of abuse when someone that doesn't know what they are sees one, especially if your baby is light-skinned, so if your baby is born with one, you should have the nursery staff document that somewhere. Hopefully this one fades and people don't think I'm spanking my baby.

(Now I really want to have that genetic test done that traces your mitochondrial DNA around the world though. Obviously my son is the nth-great-grandson of Genghis :smugdog:)

Gravitee posted:

Etiquette question...my office pitched in and threw me a surprise shower on Friday. I don't know who donated money but I'd like to show my appreciation. How do I show my gratitude to the nameless group? Office wide email? Suggestions?

My work took up a collection for me, and I did an office-wide email of thanks. I think it's about the only way to handle it, but I did get a couple of responses from people who felt bad that they hadn't been able to give me money and that made me feel bad.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Chicken McNobody posted:

My baby has a Mongolian spot. I had no idea Caucasian babies could have them! For the first few days of his life I thought he had a bruise on his butt, and was ready to have words with the nursery staff. He's nearly a month old now and it hasn't faded and doesn't hurt, so it's just a regular old Mongolian blue spot. Anyway, as I researched it, I saw that apparently Mongolian spots can raise questions of abuse when someone that doesn't know what they are sees one, especially if your baby is light-skinned, so if your baby is born with one, you should have the nursery staff document that somewhere. Hopefully this one fades and people don't think I'm spanking my baby.

(Now I really want to have that genetic test done that traces your mitochondrial DNA around the world though. Obviously my son is the nth-great-grandson of Genghis :smugdog:)

When I went to the wikipedia article and saw that photo, I would have mistaken that for a bruise too. Or possibly that the kid sat in Kool-Aid.

I don't know if you're joking about the DNA test or not, but if you're actually interested, I can give you info about your options (it's a bit of a hobby of mine). But to get all technical on you, your son couldn't have mitochondrial DNA from Genghis because everyone, male or female inherits their mitochondrial DNA from their mother who gets it from her mother, etc. So a mitochondrial test will only reveal your mother's mother's mother's mother's... origins, and Genghis was a dude, so he never passed on his mitochondrial DNA. Never fear though, your son could still have Genghis's Y chromosome, or some of his autosomal DNA (the DNA that's on Chromosomes 1 though 22)!

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

Gravitee posted:

I'm in week 36 and don't have too many big complaints. Since I have GD I'm tired of eating healthy. I want a hot fudge sundae and bbq chicken pizza something fierce.

Maybe bring in some cookies or something and say they are a thank you?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Chicken McNobody posted:

My kids' pediatrician marked down all known birthmarks on the kids' charts. You should point it out to your pediatrician if you haven't already.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Mnemosyne posted:

When I went to the wikipedia article and saw that photo, I would have mistaken that for a bruise too. Or possibly that the kid sat in Kool-Aid.

I don't know if you're joking about the DNA test or not, but if you're actually interested, I can give you info about your options (it's a bit of a hobby of mine). But to get all technical on you, your son couldn't have mitochondrial DNA from Genghis because everyone, male or female inherits their mitochondrial DNA from their mother who gets it from her mother, etc. So a mitochondrial test will only reveal your mother's mother's mother's mother's... origins, and Genghis was a dude, so he never passed on his mitochondrial DNA. Never fear though, your son could still have Genghis's Y chromosome, or some of his autosomal DNA (the DNA that's on Chromosomes 1 though 22)!

Now I feel dumb...genetics class wasn't that long ago. :( I really do want to have the correct tests done, though. I've hit a roadblock in my genealogical research because I have too many prostitute ancestors. :forkbomb: A general idea of where in the world my people are from is probably the best I can do!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Chickalicious posted:

I had this exact thing happen to me in the first month. How old is your kid again? It seemed to resolve as his mouth got bigger so he could get a deeper latch.

She just turned 1 month old yesterday.

The Young Marge posted:

Fortunately I don't get the burn, but my nipples definitely get compressed, in the "new lipstick" shape. Check out this page on Kellymom for info about blanching after nursing. It could still be a shallow latch. For all the insistence in articles that pain is not normal and you can correct it, sometimes there's just not a lot you can do at first since the baby's mouth is so tiny. For me the latch keeps getting better over time as he gets bigger.

I have noticed since I posted that in the last couple of days I haven't wanted to die nearly as much as I did before. I am hoping its as both of you said and her mouth was just too tiny. I always redo her latch if she is being lazy but even at her widest she just couldn't get much in before.

Her new thing is clamping down when she falls asleep and yanking away from me still attached. Its super fun for my breasts. :bang:

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My prenatal vitamins have "Contains Soy" on the bottle. Is this for allergy information only, or is there something I need to be concerned about with soy now?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

sheri posted:

My prenatal vitamins have "Contains Soy" on the bottle. Is this for allergy information only, or is there something I need to be concerned about with soy now?

It's just for allergy concerns.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Chicken McNobody posted:

Now I feel dumb...genetics class wasn't that long ago. :( I really do want to have the correct tests done, though. I've hit a roadblock in my genealogical research because I have too many prostitute ancestors. :forkbomb: A general idea of where in the world my people are from is probably the best I can do!

Don't feel bad, understanding genetics is confusing. If you were really looking for a DNA test though, I didn't want you to buy a test that was mitochondrial DNA only and then be bummed when you got the results and discovered it was only part of what you were looking for. If you're looking to test, I would recommend 23andMe, though FamilyTreeDNA isn't bad either. Both do autosomal tests, so you get info on your mitochondrial DNA, your X chromosomes (or Y if you're a dude),and Chromosomes 1-22.

To keep this relevant to the pregnancy thread, I've tested both myself and my husband with 23andMe, though the original test that I bought for myself was a few years ago and had nothing to do with me getting pregnant. One thing I learned was that I'm a carrier for Hemochromatosis, and since it's more prevalent in people of "Celtic" descent, that meant it was more likely than average that my husband also carried it. So when I got pregnant, I tested him too, because I wanted to know if this baby was at risk for Hemochromatosis. Fortunately, it turned out he isn't a carrier, and also fortunately, I'm not a carrier for anything else. So we're good, but I enjoyed having the extra peace of mind (and now I have my husband's DNA to play around with).

So anyway, a useless but neat side benefit of having us both tested at 23andMe is that they have a little tool that lets you see the likelihood of certain traits in the offspring of any two people that have been tested. They test for way more than this, and things like the eyecolor here are an oversimplification of the genetics involved in eye color, but it's pretty cool to know at 5 months pregnant that your kid won't be lactose intolerant, and has a 72% chance of having light eyes.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
22 weeks in and I've just seen our baby kicking and making Mrs. D's belly move for the first time.

I cried like a baby :3

randomfuss
Dec 30, 2006
Hello, I am pregnant again! My son is 13 months now, and I am at 13w. With my 1st, I started showing at 9 weeks (according to my colleagues who complimented me out of the blue). Of course I show now, but I changed teams and now I am actively hiding my pregnancy. Do you have any advice on how to keep this up at least until the end of the month (2 more weeks...)?

My activities involve talking to people, holding meetings and participating to events involving alcohol (I managed to keep off booze with random excuses). The booze is a weekly tradition because we are crazy europeans who like beer.

My husband thinks my colleagues are blind. None of them seems to suspect a thing.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
You could possibly tell your coworkers that you are on painkillers for something. Or maybe say something about watching your carbs? I dunno. Seems like a tough spot to be in for a short time.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

It finally happened. A month old and I have put Freya in her car seat just so it would be quiet for more than 30 seconds. There's no reason she should be crying but she's screaming her head off anyway. This is the worst part about newborns because there's literally nothing you can do to make them happy sometimes.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Aqua Hamster posted:

It finally happened. A month old and I have put Freya in her car seat just so it would be quiet for more than 30 seconds. There's no reason she should be crying but she's screaming her head off anyway. This is the worst part about newborns because there's literally nothing you can do to make them happy sometimes.

Hey, whatever works. She's safe and comfortable in her car seat, there's no reason to feel guilty about putting her there if it calms her down.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Aqua Hamster posted:

Do you guys ever wear her? A lot of babies feel comforted by being that close, and it means your hands are free to do other things.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

I just don't want to get her in the habit of only falling asleep if she's going to be going on a car ride or something. Right now we don't have a thing to carry her on our chest or whatever, but it's something I'm looking at with my next check/tax return. She loved laying on my chest while I pat her back, usually she falls right asleep, but last night/this morning she wasn't going to have any of it.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Check your local Craigslist for a Moby or another wrap. They're reasonably cheap new as far as baby carriers go, so you should be able to get a used one inexpensively (there are like 6 or 7 on my local Craigslist for $20-25 right now, and they retail for $45-ish). And then there are tons of YouTube videos to teach you how to wrap with it.

The only issue with stretchy wraps like that is by the time the baby's a certain weight they stop being as useful. If you want a carrier that will last a lot longer, look into getting a mei tai, Ergo or Beco used. They're going to cost more, but they will also last longer.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Aqua Hamster posted:

I just don't want to get her in the habit of only falling asleep if she's going to be going on a car ride or something. Right now we don't have a thing to carry her on our chest or whatever, but it's something I'm looking at with my next check/tax return. She loved laying on my chest while I pat her back, usually she falls right asleep, but last night/this morning she wasn't going to have any of it.

It's going to be many months before any sleep habits are formed. So right now, you do what works as long as it is safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Aqua Hamster posted:

A great place to get a well-made inexpensive ring sling is sleepingbabyproductions. Her basic fabric ring slings are study, but inexpensive. I'm big into babywearing, and have close to a dozen carriers now. A Moby is nice to have when they're small and light, but as they get bigger, you'd be better off with a ring sling, a mei tai (like BabyHawk), or a woven wrap (like a Didymos). Hope that helps.