Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm trying out Plume for the first time as my default Twitter app, but I'm not sure if I'm customizing it right.

I want to set it so that I get Mentions and Messages while still having a long sync interval for other Tweets. I had it set like this in the official Twitter app, with the interval at four hours but I got Messages and Mentions immediately. I tried to do the same in Plume but it didn't work. Is there another setting I need to change or is Plume not as sync-happy as the official Twitter so having a lower sync time okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm trying out Plume for the first time as my default Twitter app, but I'm not sure if I'm customizing it right.

I want to set it so that I get Mentions and Messages while still having a long sync interval for other Tweets. I had it set like this in the official Twitter app, with the interval at four hours but I got Messages and Mentions immediately. I tried to do the same in Plume but it didn't work. Is there another setting I need to change or is Plume not as sync-happy as the official Twitter so having a lower sync time okay?

The official Twitter client has push notifications for messages and mentions. My guess is an internal API.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The official Twitter client has push notifications for messages and mentions. My guess is an internal API.

Ahh, okay. That makes sense then. I'll give Plume a try still, thanks!

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

It's a 20% Time project.

Is it? Google Voice started as an independent startup called Grand Central that Google acquired for $50 million. I know 50 mil isn't poo poo to Google but you have to think that GV is a product with dedicated staff behind it.

fudsak
Feb 4, 2004

Steriletom posted:

Yeah, I know. I'm tired of being woken up by notifications but I refuse to turn off my ringer as I have had family/friends contact me in the middle of the night before with legit emergencies.

I use Tasker to mute everything at night except for a white list of callers. Works amazing.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

So if you do this do all outbound texts come from your GV number?

Edit: just tried it, the answer is no. And it basically just enables SMS forwarding to your phone without having to use the web control panel. Consequently, contacts are not matched since it uses the SMS forwarding "magic" phone numbers.

No, contacts aren't matched - which is stupid, since the whole thing is managed by Google and it should know better. If you text the "magic" number it provides you with, though, doesn't it come up as being sent from your GV number? I switch back and forth and haven't heard reports of weirdness from people. It's still not ideal, I'll admit, but sending SMS messages is so much more reliable than using the official app.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

UncleSmoothie posted:

Is it? Google Voice started as an independent startup called Grand Central that Google acquired for $50 million. I know 50 mil isn't poo poo to Google but you have to think that GV is a product with dedicated staff behind it.

Google Voice is also one of the reasons that Google's voice-to-text engine is so drat good. Sure, it can't transcribe a voice mail for poo poo but when you're dictating text to the phone it's voodoo levels of good. Seriously, Google could figure out drunk Fran Drescher.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Manky posted:

No, contacts aren't matched - which is stupid, since the whole thing is managed by Google and it should know better.

Isn't this what the unified privacy policy is supposed to accomplish?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Isn't this what the unified privacy policy is supposed to accomplish?

Google really ought to tie all their crap up in a nice little package. One Google account has all this crazy stuff, email, messaging, social networking, phone/texts, printing, but it's all different platforms that at best acknowledge each other's existences. Why they don't want these platforms under one roof I don't know, but that leaked G+ blog post from a while back made it sound like they just suck at leveraging platforms.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Manky posted:

but that leaked G+ blog post from a while back made it sound like they just suck at leveraging platforms.

It's because it's true. Google has some massive project ADD. They need to pull back into what they already have out there and focus on following through.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's because it's true. Google has some massive project ADD. They need to pull back into what they already have out there and focus on following through.

Which, to be fair, they've been doing a lot of lately. I'd guess that the failure of Wave, the closure of Google Labs and the opening of Google+ was an impetus to start bringing everything under one scalable, manageable roof; but when you're dealing with separate projects and code-bases and objectives across an infrastructure as big as theirs, though, it's sadly not something you can do overnight.

There's got to be some unification effort across their web, Chrome, Android and ChromeOS projects. The capability and opportunity's there, Google aren't a web behemoth for nothing, but I'm getting messages that there's no fixed goal beyond improving their Web search and ads. Stick with what they know? Fling poo poo at the wall and see what sticks? Go all-in on crazy billionaire-with-too-much-money projects?

landis
Jun 16, 2003

Until the end.
Didn't they recently restructure leadership as well? I got the impression that they were really trying to minimize the ADD and focus on core products, including Android/GV/etc.

I'll have to track down the link but I seem to remember them ticking off those things specifically (in addition to the obvious stuff like search) as focus areas moving forward.

All that said, and maybe in ICS it's different, but I've had very little trouble with GV on my phone. Take that as you will because I'm not a heavy texter, I probably use the PC side more often, and tend go into conversations from the notification bar. My biggest gripe with it is the widget, sometimes it just goes completely blank, but I can't recall the last time it happened so maybe it's better with the latest update.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

UncleSmoothie posted:

Oh, I don't actually know; just has that delightfully scattered 20% Time flavor we've grown to know and love/hate.

Speaking of which; my Google+ has been blowing up today with posts, which would be neat but they're all from people I don't know. Apparently it's the "Hot on Google+" category invading my stream for no reason today. Can anyone tell me where to turn that back off like it was yesterday?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Splizwarf posted:

Oh, I don't actually know; just has that delightfully scattered 20% Time flavor we've grown to know and love/hate.

Speaking of which; my Google+ has been blowing up today with posts, which would be neat but they're all from people I don't know. Apparently it's the "Hot on Google+" category invading my stream for no reason today. Can anyone tell me where to turn that back off like it was yesterday?

http://thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2012/02/13/google-rolling-out-granular-control-for-whats-hot-aiming-for-more-relevant-content/

Slider for that section is rolling out today.

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

IT Guy posted:

I keep getting a notification on my phone that storage space is getting low. It's not though... Why is this popping up (won't go away)?

Did you clear the cache and clear the data for the Market app? It solved it for me without reseting the device.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
For anyone who doesn't want to read the link that that link references, the answer is there's now a slider with no words, numbers, or any other identification on the What's Hot page on the desktop/web interface only, which if it's moved to the right at all will add stuff from the global What's Hot list to your personal stream (instead of the What's Hot page). I thought Mystery Meat Navigation was deprecated in the modern internet, but hey. Move it all the way to the left to fix it.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Any recommendations on music apps? I tried Winamp because I use it on my PC (I like its media library way better than iTunes) and I could transfer music over wifi, but the wifi transfer seems flaky at best and it kept grouping things in odd ways, like splitting an album into two albums with the exact same name and random tracks from the album in each. I tried PowerAmp, and I liked that I could download album art with it, but got really annoyed when I checked the option to hide the shuffle and repeat controls and song ratings which it handily splays right over the album art, and it wouldn't stop displaying them. I rage-uninstalled it and have been using the stock music app, which isn't bad but is fairly feature-free. I'd like the ability to transfer music wirelessly, download album art, and edit ID3 tags. Does such an app even exist?

Edit: While I'm at it, how about weather apps? Weather channel's is slow and bloated and only shows the radar for the last half hour; AccuWeather is a pile of poo poo covered in pretty chrome.

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 14, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of music apps being dumb, I've had a problem with Google Music on my Galaxy Nexus: when on the now playing screen, the seekbar and the back/play/next buttons are on top of the artist and album lines. As in, overlapping. This might be an issue with having changed the DPI, but that would really be irritating, especially since I should have more room, not less.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Speaking of music apps being dumb, I've had a problem with Google Music on my Galaxy Nexus: when on the now playing screen, the seekbar and the back/play/next buttons are on top of the artist and album lines. As in, overlapping. This might be an issue with having changed the DPI, but that would really be irritating, especially since I should have more room, not less.
Of course that's because you hosed with the DPI.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Of course that's because you hosed with the DPI.

Balls. It's literally the only app that's had a problem (well, since flashing AOKP; using the LCD density whatever app hosed up lots of things).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Balls. It's literally the only app that's had a problem (well, since flashing AOKP; using the LCD density whatever app hosed up lots of things).
How is that AOKP? I occasionally look the thread and it's always "This ROM is great! Total daily driver!" followed by "Calendar won't sync but great ROM!" and "Only three restarts today, love this ROM!"

I don't long for much apart from statusbar tweaks (dBm and battery as a percentage) and 180 degree rotation.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

How is that AOKP? I occasionally look the thread and it's always "This ROM is great! Total daily driver!" followed by "Calendar won't sync but great ROM!" and "Only three restarts today, love this ROM!"

I don't long for much apart from statusbar tweaks (dBm and battery as a percentage) and 180 degree rotation.

I've really liked it so far. No problems with the calendar, and the only bug I've noticed is that two or three times (in maybe a week and a half of having it) I'd unlock it but the touch-sensitive area is mis-aligned, so the bottom portion of the screen wouldn't work. Wasn't too much of a hassle after the first time since I use WidgetLocker, so I could just tap on a widget and then go home.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

So I finally got done reading this thread and I had a question. Would it be possible to get a verizon android phone, pay for only a data plan, and use apps to do calls and texts through the data allowance?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

blackflare posted:

So I finally got done reading this thread and I had a question. Would it be possible to get a verizon android phone, pay for only a data plan, and use apps to do calls and texts through the data allowance?

I don't believe Verizon will allow you to activate a phone on a line without a voice plan, but if you have a family plan, you could add a line for only $10/month and just never use voice on that line.

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

Lprsti99 posted:

This is what I do, works a treat. Even better, this way you can filter who gets to wake you up! No more calls at 6:30 in the morning from work trying to get me to come in!

Can you share your settings? I've been trying for the past half hour but have not gotten the desired effect.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Penguissimo posted:

I don't believe Verizon will allow you to activate a phone on a line without a voice plan, but if you have a family plan, you could add a line for only $10/month and just never use voice on that line.

Wouldn't he also have to pay $30/month for the data?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Any recommendations on music apps? I tried Winamp because I use it on my PC (I like its media library way better than iTunes) and I could transfer music over wifi, but the wifi transfer seems flaky at best and it kept grouping things in odd ways, like splitting an album into two albums with the exact same name and random tracks from the album in each. I tried PowerAmp, and I liked that I could download album art with it, but got really annoyed when I checked the option to hide the shuffle and repeat controls and song ratings which it handily splays right over the album art, and it wouldn't stop displaying them. I rage-uninstalled it and have been using the stock music app, which isn't bad but is fairly feature-free. I'd like the ability to transfer music wirelessly, download album art, and edit ID3 tags. Does such an app even exist?

Edit: While I'm at it, how about weather apps? Weather channel's is slow and bloated and only shows the radar for the last half hour; AccuWeather is a pile of poo poo covered in pretty chrome.

Mixzing is my choice for music, and World Weather Clock Widget for weather (fairly basic weather info, so if you want more detailed hour-by-hour stuff it's not a great choice, but I like the time / date / temp / humidity / wind 4x1 widget).

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I discovered by accident that in both the Facebook app and the mobile site (which are basically the same drat thing anymore), you can swipe to the left on one of your own posts or comments to have the option to delete it.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does anyone here use Path?
It feels like it's useless if you don't have friends or family with smartphones but maybe I'm missing something?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Steriletom posted:

Can you share your settings? I've been trying for the past half hour but have not gotten the desired effect.

Sure. First, define a variable, %NIGHTMODE, for example, and initialize it to false. Create a task named Night Mode, and, in order, add these tasks:

code:
Task > If: %NIGHTMODE ~ False
   Audio > Silent Mode: On
   Variables > Variable Set: %NIGHTMODE to True
   Alerts > Flash: Night Mode Enabled
Task > Else: If, %NIGHTMODE ~ True
   Audio > Silent Mode: Off
   Variables > Variable Set: %NIGHTMODE to False
   Alerts > Flash: Night Mode Disabled
Give the task an icon (paint palette on the bottom right), and then add a Tasker widget that calls the Night Mode task.

Now, create a profile, I named it Unsilent Night, with two Contexts, both of type State. One should be Variable > Variable Value, set to %NIGHTMODE Matches True. The second is Phone > Incoming Call, in the Caller field, hit the Magnifying Glass, and set Any Favorite Contact (or however you'd like to set it up). In the Entrance Task, set Audio > Silent Mode to Off, and you can also set Audio > Ringer Volume to 7 (the max). Add an Exit Task, and simply have it set Audio > Silent Mode to On.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

regulargonzalez posted:

Mixzing is my choice for music, and World Weather Clock Widget for weather (fairly basic weather info, so if you want more detailed hour-by-hour stuff it's not a great choice, but I like the time / date / temp / humidity / wind 4x1 widget).

Mixzing seems great, thanks! As far as weather, I really just want the ability to see a really good radar that shows like three hours' worth of movement. Forecasts are a dime a dozen, and the stock flipclock is good enough for me in that respect.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Mixzing seems great, thanks! As far as weather, I really just want the ability to see a really good radar that shows like three hours' worth of movement. Forecasts are a dime a dozen, and the stock flipclock is good enough for me in that respect.
About two years ago, Weatherbug was highly regarded (I know it's surprising given it was adware like five years ago). I don't remember if it has radar though.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
How's Tapatalk? It's a buck on Amazon right now, and I hear it's pretty solid for most every message board out there.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I really like the 1Weather app. It's simplistic but still informative enough to understand the basics of the next few days to me.

I also like that it has "1" in the title so it'll be the very first thing in your App Drawer. That really works for me because it makes it the first thing I check in the morning.

Also, it'll sync and let you know if there's a storm or whatnot coming your way a day or so in advance with a vibration/sound. I like it doesn't really use up battery to do that either.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Wouldn't he also have to pay $30/month for the data?

Yeah, I worded that poorly; I was referring only to the non-data expenses, since that was what he was worried about avoiding. But he would also have to pay for data.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lprsti99 posted:

Tasker stuff

Oh, I just remembered, before I set up the widget, I did it a slightly different way, which was more set and forget. Basically, you'd use the same variable, but just set it to true at 10 pm or so, and change it to false whenever, say 7 am. Now, make a profile that says "When the variable is true, the phone is charging, AND the phone is face down, turn Silent Mode on," with an exit task to turn it off again. Finally, make a profile that basically says, if the variable is true, and a favorite contact is calling, turn Silent Mode off, and make sure to give it a high priority, so it overrides the other profile.

You could even set up a profile to just silence your phone whenever it's charging and face down, and train yourself to flip the phone depending on if you want to take calls. I love this app.

Sorry if I'm rambling/incoherent, tired as poo poo, going to sleep.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Lprsti99 posted:

Oh, I just remembered, before I set up the widget, I did it a slightly different way, which was more set and forget. Basically, you'd use the same variable, but just set it to true at 10 pm or so, and change it to false whenever, say 7 am. Now, make a profile that says "When the variable is true, the phone is charging, AND the phone is face down, turn Silent Mode on," with an exit task to turn it off again. Finally, make a profile that basically says, if the variable is true, and a favorite contact is calling, turn Silent Mode off, and make sure to give it a high priority, so it overrides the other profile.
Why use a variable at all? Just add the time, charging, face down and "Not Incoming Call C:FAV" as contexts, "Silent Mode On" as enter task and "Silent Mode Off" as exit task.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cakefool posted:

Is there any way to get agenda widget to display astrid takes only in 1 widget & calendar only in another?

Or do I need 2 separate apps?

To answer my own question: turn off global settings & sign different calendars/tasks to each widget.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

About two years ago, Weatherbug was highly regarded (I know it's surprising given it was adware like five years ago). I don't remember if it has radar though.

It's still pretty good if you just want to keep weather stashed in the notification bar. The BW widget craze pretty much stole all their thunder though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

gmq posted:

Does anyone here use Path?
It feels like it's useless if you don't have friends or family with smartphones but maybe I'm missing something?

No, you've got it right. It's an excellently made app, great design with lots of features, but since "no one" uses it, it's close to useless.

• Locked thread