Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jeremys Iron posted:

Awesome news - I also appreciate how much cheaper and yet still very nice the Hellboy Library books are compared to omnibuses.
The price points for these really are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Yay! My girlfriend has no interest in comics but she flips through the Hellboy library editions because they are so big and fuzzy and pretty.

I'd like to follow Hellboy and BPRD monthly but the collected editions are nice enough to wait for.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm wrestling with the idea of buying the Secret Warriors omni.
I never wrestle with the idea of double dipping on Hellboy/BPRD

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
Am I right in thinking that the BPRDs are not being produced in super-fancy 'library' collections? I've considered picking them up a few times but never have.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jeremys Iron posted:

Am I right in thinking that the BPRDs are not being produced in super-fancy 'library' collections? I've considered picking them up a few times but never have.

There is this http://www.amazon.com/B-P-R-D-Plague-Frogs-Collection-Vol/dp/1595826092/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1329162928&sr=8-3

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Jeremys Iron posted:

The Plague of Frogs hardcovers (as above) are still pretty loving fancy. Three trades in one (non-oversized) HC, delightful paperstock, tonnes of extras, collected chronologically - putting various one-shots where they come in the story.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The BPRD books are regular dustcover having hardcovers. The good news is Mignola's work in single issues shows off the spectacle and horror of folks making their way through the war, but in the collections you get a better picture of the larger mythology he is building.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The BPRD books are regular dustcover having hardcovers. The good news is Mignola's work in single issues shows off the spectacle and horror of folks making their way through the war, but in the collections you get a better picture of the larger mythology he is building.

I'm never quite sure how fair it is to call it Mignola's work, really. By the end of the second Plague of Frogs HC, I think his input was down to having a phone call once every miniseries with Arcudi to discuss where the plot was going.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I'm never quite sure how fair it is to call it Mignola's work, really. By the end of the second Plague of Frogs HC, I think his input was down to having a phone call once every miniseries with Arcudi to discuss where the plot was going.

That's absolutely wrong, the big plot always comes from Mignola and he always looks over scripts and edits dialogue or gives Arcudi pointers. Plus he's doing the covers for the series and if you notice he does the designs for new characters that Guy Davis then adapted. Plus at that point he was doing covers for the series, he's very modest and says Arcudi does the heavy lifting but it's all Mignola plots.

By the way if you all like the production behind the Hellboy and BPRD books check out the Manara Library editions Dark Horse started putting out last year, they really are fantastic. Even if you're not familiar with the mans work the first volume is completely stand alone and has one of Manara's and Hugo Pratt's very best stories in it. If anybody is really hesitant I can snap some pictures of volume 1 and volume 2. In Volume 2 they use two papers stocks one glossy for the in color first story, and the second a more matte but still very nice paper stock for the black and white story. That's just some great attention to detail you hardly see from publishers these days.

JackDarko fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 13, 2012

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

JackDarko posted:

That's absolutely wrong, the big plot always comes from Mignola and he always looks over scripts and edits dialogue or gives Arcudi pointers. Plus he's doing the covers for the series and if you notice he does the designs for new characters that Guy Davis then adapted. Plus at that point he was doing covers for the series, he's very modest and says Arcudi does the heavy lifting but it's all Mignola plots.

By the way if you all like the production behind the Hellboy and BPRD books check out the Manara Library editions Dark Horse started putting out last year, they really are fantastic. Even if you're not familiar with the mans work the first volume is completely stand alone and has one of Manara's and Hugo Pratt's very best stories in it. If anybody is really hesitant I can snap some pictures of volume 1 and volume 2. In Volume 2 they use two papers stocks one glossy for the in color first story, and the second a more matte but still very nice paper stock for the black and white story. That's just some great attention to detail you hardly see from publishers these days.

Huh, cool! I'd always been concerned that his name on it was a bit of a swizz, so it's nice to know that he earns his keep (so to speak).

And yeah, I have both the Manara HCs (and even vol one of the Erotic companion series pre-ordered). I've only read the first, and love the art, but... Hugo Pratt writes some odious stories, and they almost put me off the whole thing. They aren't even bad, as such, they just use rape and sexual violence in what is (to me, at least) a disgusting manner.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Huh, cool! I'd always been concerned that his name on it was a bit of a swizz, so it's nice to know that he earns his keep (so to speak).

And yeah, I have both the Manara HCs (and even vol one of the Erotic companion series pre-ordered). I've only read the first, and love the art, but... Hugo Pratt writes some odious stories, and they almost put me off the whole thing. They aren't even bad, as such, they just use rape and sexual violence in what is (to me, at least) a disgusting manner.

Thanks for being so cool about that didn't want it to come off like I was attacking you, but yeah Mignola puts in work.

It's difficult to say if that comes from Pratt or Manara, the stories I've read from just Pratt like Corto Maltese have none of that in them. I get the feeling he gives Manara the stuff he wants to draw, or is it what the European audiences want?

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

JackDarko posted:

Thanks for being so cool about that didn't want it to come off like I was attacking you, but yeah Mignola puts in work.

It's difficult to say if that comes from Pratt or Manara, the stories I've read from just Pratt like Corto Maltese have none of that in them. I get the feeling he gives Manara the stuff he wants to draw, or is it what the European audiences want?

Hmmm. Hard to say, then. I'd assumed from the fact that Manara's self-penned story in Volume One was, while hardly progressive, at least non-rapey, that it was Pratt, but I guess you never can tell who's responsible for what (edit: Which, thinking about it, is a nice circular ending to this conversation). Anyway, it's an artists book, and the art is stellar, so I'm not too concerned.

Do you (or anyone else, really) happen to know quite how complete the full collection will be? I'm curious to know if that weird X-Women strip will make it in. I can't see how it could, but stranger things have happened.

Also, in other delightful collected editions news: The Empowered phonebook edition is out soon! Who's psyched? I'm psyched.

Fight My Dad! fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 13, 2012

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Hmmm. Hard to say, then. I'd assumed from the fact that Manara's self-penned story in Volume One was, while hardly progressive, at least non-rapey, that it was Pratt, but I guess you never can tell who's responsible for what (edit: Which, thinking about it, is a nice circular ending to this conversation). Anyway, it's an artists book, and the art is stellar, so I'm not too concerned.

Do you (or anyone else, really) happen to know quite how complete the full collection will be? I'm curious to know if that weird X-Women strip will make it in. I can't see how it could, but stranger things have happened.

Also, in other delightful collected editions news: The Empowered phonebook edition is out soon! Who's psyched? I'm psyched.

I'll make this my last reply just to not annoy you. I can't help but reply! I am very excited about it I am pretty sure Warren wrote the solicit and it shows how much he cares about the book that he mentions it has really good paper right there in the solicit.

I don't think it will involve any of that but it is supposed to be 7 volumes long with 3 separate erotic volumes, so who knows. I've searched and searched and there's no interviews about the books or anything I guess their target market are really just Manara fans.

Thanks for linking that by the way I had not read it before, and it's making me think about comic criticism in that I agree that a writer should work with an artist to become a cartoonist not to over power the other.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yay! My girlfriend has no interest in comics but she flips through the Hellboy library editions because they are so big and fuzzy and pretty.

I'd like to follow Hellboy and BPRD monthly but the collected editions are nice enough to wait for.

Do what I do and just buy both.

Mike Mignola, take all of my money.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Did Image push the King City trade back? I thought it was supposed to come out at the end of the month but Amazon has it coming out in March and if I have to wait another month for this stupid thing I'm going to flip my wig!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did Image push the King City trade back? I thought it was supposed to come out at the end of the month but Amazon has it coming out in March and if I have to wait another month for this stupid thing I'm going to flip my wig!!

Amazon is always a week or two late, at least. They get their books through slower channels than Diamond.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

I think it's still due to come out Feb 22nd. Amazon dates are NOT release dates, they rarely get trades on the release date, they almost always get them a few weeks later.

edit: ^^ What he said ^^

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Previews has got the list for May's Marvel books up.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=118188

As normal, just the titles and prices for now. No content info until the actual solicits go up.

Only a couple of things worth noting as far as I can see.

quote:

MAR120695 ESSENTIAL BLACK PANTHER TP VOL 01 $19.99

MAR120638 NEW X-MEN OMNIBUS HC NEW PTG $125.00

MAR120655 X-MEN OPERATION ZERO TOLERANCE HC $75.00

Definitely getting the BP Essential and... that's about it. Already got the three New X-Men OSHCs but I reckon a lot of people will be excited for a reprint of the omnibus.

Is it just me or are Marvel really slowing down with the amount of OSHCs they release? And they seem to be really ramping up the release of the Premiere Classics line. It's just a shame a lot of the books can hardly be considered "Classic".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Shameless posted:

Previews has got the list for May's Marvel books up.

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/918?articleID=118188

As normal, just the titles and prices for now. No content info until the actual solicits go up.

Only a couple of things worth noting as far as I can see.

Definitely getting the BP Essential and... that's about it. Already got the three New X-Men OSHCs but I reckon a lot of people will be excited for a reprint of the omnibus.

Is it just me or are Marvel really slowing down with the amount of OSHCs they release? And they seem to be really ramping up the release of the Premiere Classics line. It's just a shame a lot of the books can hardly be considered "Classic".

I guess the Essential Black Panther series is going to be the Kirby Jungle Action stuff though that seems like it would be pretty light for an Essential.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

I guess the Essential Black Panther series is going to be the Kirby Jungle Action stuff though that seems like it would be pretty light for an Essential.

I think it's got the McGregor Jungle Action stuff in too. Amazon lists both McGregor and Kirby and says it's 528 pages.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Shameless posted:

Already got the three New X-Men OSHCs but I reckon a lot of people will be excited for a reprint of the omnibus.

I've already got the New X-men Omnibus preordered but I wish they would have reprinted the smaller OSHCs instead. I'm getting sick of huge tomes that have binding issues over time.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
This is probably considered off-topic but I'm gonna ask here anyway: I need shelf buying advice.

I want to avoid the flimsy $100 pressboard shelves you see at Walmart. I browsed through an office supply company's online store and while some of their shelves seem quite sturdy, they also fly past $300+ very quickly. My question, I suppose, is how much is too much for a sturdy 6ft tall shelf? At what point am I just paying a markup for expensive wood and finishes?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Hatter106 posted:

This is probably considered off-topic but I'm gonna ask here anyway: I need shelf buying advice.

I want to avoid the flimsy $100 pressboard shelves you see at Walmart. I browsed through an office supply company's online store and while some of their shelves seem quite sturdy, they also fly past $300+ very quickly. My question, I suppose, is how much is too much for a sturdy 6ft tall shelf? At what point am I just paying a markup for expensive wood and finishes?

Just get an Expedit from Ikea. It's pressboard but decent quality.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Hatter106 posted:

I'm really happy with these Ikea expedit things for shelving. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=expedit

I've had two of the 5 foot ones filled with comics and hardcovers and heavy art/photography books for about a year and they aren't warping. They're cheap, sturdy and they look pretty nice I think. I know you say you don't want pressboard type stuff, but real wood is 'spensive and might be hard to find what you want under 300.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The thickness and weight distribution of expedit shelves makes it unparalleled for holding books. I have a number of 2X2 ones for books and DVDs and a 4X4 for comics. They look nice, are cheap, and well constructed.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

As an owner of Secret Wars 2 Omnibus I can verify that even the 5x5 Expidit is more than capable of containing both its weight and awfulness. They can also hold books as big as an Absolute. I think the limits so far have been Wednesday Comics, a couple of the larger C. Ware Acme books, and the Prince Valiant books being released by Fantagraphics.

They're also deep enough to hold two layers of dvd cases, although you can't stack dvds 2-high.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 18, 2012

Jeremys Iron
Aug 18, 2006

"Now if you'll excuse me, it's 8 O'clock, Time to get Bizzay"
My latest shelving plan involves a giant 5x5 expedit which I'll be picking up in a couple of months - they seem to be the go-to shelving for nerds with heavy comics. My only concern is that the shelves are so 'tall' that a lot of my actual books will be wasting space by only taking up a small fraction of it.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Thanks for the tips, fellas. As long as they're tall to hold an Absolute, the Expedit shelves seem to be the way to go. Now to decide between the 2x4 or whether I have enough books to justify the 4x4...

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Buy a 4x4, use the extra space to justify buying more books.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Jeremys Iron posted:

My latest shelving plan involves a giant 5x5 expedit which I'll be picking up in a couple of months - they seem to be the go-to shelving for nerds with heavy comics. My only concern is that the shelves are so 'tall' that a lot of my actual books will be wasting space by only taking up a small fraction of it.

While tall, they aren't "holy poo poo look at all that wasted space" tall. I lose about 3" in height with my omnibus shelf and about 4-5 on trade shelves. Depth is another story I could almost fit another row on the backside.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Speaking of books that won't fit on any god intended shelving unit, George Sprott by Seth is gigantic. It isn't as tall as Wednesday Comics but it is wider. Also, Seth comics are super cool and I would buy a book that was just him illustrating every house on my block.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Internet Wizard posted:

Buy a 4x4, use the extra space to justify buying more books.

This is how it always starts...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Apparently DC put up 13 issues of Shade the Changing Man on their digital platform. Does this mean that they're planning on releasing the rest of the trades? Please?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm thinking about picking up the new hardcover DCU By Alan Moore that Amazon will have available on March 20. It clocks in at a whopping 464 pages which is a steal at $24. I've only read a little of Moore's work, Watchmen being possibly my favorite comic of all time (no surprise there) but I've never read any of his traditional cape stuff (barring Killing Joke). How is the content? I've heard that the Green Lantern story "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" is great, but is it contained here? I'm not terribly familiar with my DC universe either, so will I be lost? The book contains:

Voodoo #1-4 (I know nothing of this)
Deathblow #1-3 (Is this that Jim Lee 90s book?)
Superman Annual #11
Detective Comics #549-550
Green Lantern #188
Vigilante #17-18
Omega Men #26-27
DC Comics Presents #85
Green Lantern Corps Annual #2
Superman #423
Action Comics #583
Secret Origins #10
Green Lantern Annual #3
Batman Annual #11
Batman The Killing Joke (Already own a copy of this)
Wildstorm Spotlight #11

edit; I am also in the process of picking up the Ultimate Spider-Man trades (the big hardcovers collecting two arcs each) and I know they're out of print and some of them are like $40 or whatever, and yeah it sucks but thems the breaks. However, volume 8 is selling on Amazon for loving $90! What's the big deal with this book?

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 22, 2012

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

I've heard that the Green Lantern story "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" is great, but is it contained here? The book contains:

Green Lantern #188

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogo

It first appeared in Green Lantern vol. 2 #188 (May 1985), in a story titled "Mogo Doesn't Socialize."

Yeah, it's in there.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

However, volume 8 is selling on Amazon for loving $90! What's the big deal with this book?

Nothing, it's just OOP. Hit up used book stores before you buy them on Amazon.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Happy Hippo posted:

Deathblow #1-3 (Is this that Jim Lee 90s book?)

It's almost certainly the Deathblow: Byblows mini-series, which is based on the same character, but is actually a crazy post-apocalyptic story where a female clone of the original character is running around in animal hides fighting robots.

Beyond that, it looks like this is mostly his Wildstorm stuff (previously collected in the Wild Worlds TPB) combined with the traditional "stuff Alan Moore wrote before Watchmen" content (previously collected numerous times, including the DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore TPB).

It varies from passable to pretty awesome. The Wildstorm stuff always seemed weaker to me because I had very little idea what the hell went on in the books before Moore got his hands on them. I could tell he was doing "Weird Alan Moore Things" to them, but was never sure exactly what he was subverting/improving in the process versus random stuff he was just creating new.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Size matters

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
My comic book guy got a few of those and I looked at them (well, looked at the cover I wasn't going to make him take the plastic off) and they are so nice. While they certainly wouldn't be worth 150 dollars to me, personally, I could see them easily being worth that to an artist or collector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Thanks for the replies, guys.