Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thehandtruck posted:

Actually that's what I'm using. It's just annoying to have to every 10 minutes do Ctrl+S, then go to file, save as, select dropbox, and it do it all over again.
Why not just save to the dropbox folder to begin with? Or make a symlink from your save directory to dropbox (I assume that's possible but I'm not exactly sure how except for on *nix.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

thehandtruck posted:

Actually that's what I'm using. It's just annoying to have to every 10 minutes do Ctrl+S, then go to file, save as, select dropbox, and it do it all over again.

You do realize that dropbox will do this for you without you needing to do anything, right?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

thehandtruck posted:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/26559/change-the-default-save-folder-for-windows-7-libraries-to-something-else-like-your-dropbox/

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: nevermind just found my answer

Xandu fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 14, 2012

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Besesoth posted:

Nobody's talking about the soap, dude, we're talking about washing your dishes with a filthy sponge, which is like bathing with used toilet paper.

Well he did mention that his housemates didn't use hot water, or at least just rinsed with it.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

randyest posted:

Why not just save to the dropbox folder to begin with? Or make a symlink from your save directory to dropbox (I assume that's possible but I'm not exactly sure how except for on *nix.)

It does save to my dropbox to begin with, but I also want the file in another folder NOT in dropbox, specifically a thumb drive that I do specific work in.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

thehandtruck posted:

It does save to my dropbox to begin with, but I also want the file in another folder NOT in dropbox, specifically a thumb drive that I do specific work in.
OK sorry, I didn't fully understand you needed the auto-backup to be on a thumb drive rather than the cloud. Given that, I can't think of an easier way than ChubbyEmoBabe's macro technique or using the last macro on this page.

If you want to get all fancy and install a cron-like utility and/or rsync you could do it transparently and automatically that way, but the macro seems easier. Or you could just pay for this app.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

randyest posted:

OK sorry, I didn't fully understand you needed the auto-backup to be on a thumb drive rather than the cloud. Given that, I can't think of an easier way than ChubbyEmoBabe's macro technique or using the last macro on this page.

If you want to get all fancy and install a cron-like utility and/or rsync you could do it transparently and automatically that way, but the macro seems easier. Or you could just pay for this app.

Cool thanks. I think I'll check out those macros. It does seem crazy that this isn't a built in feature though right? I mean it seems pretty straightforward?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

thehandtruck posted:

Cool thanks. I think I'll check out those macros. It does seem crazy that this isn't a built in feature though right? I mean it seems pretty straightforward?

It's not something that people often do, and it's not something that you're encouraged to do. Despite how you're looking at the problem, you aren't working on two copies of the file at the same time, you're working on the most-recently-saved copy of the file, and then attempting to save it to two separate places. If Word crashes, only one of those files is going to have the "recovery version" information. If Word crashes while it's saving, you're going to have two out-of-sync copies of your file. If you open one copy of your file in a different editor, the changes aren't going to be saved to both locations. Basically, Word doesn't want to make it easy for you to think you're editing one file that's saved in two places, because you're not.

"Data consistency" is one of The Big Problems in computer science, and there are some pretty good solutions to it out there. "Saving two copies" isn't really one of them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Farecoal posted:

Do you have to activate a Vanilla Visa gift card before using it? I tried using it on Steam, but its been rejected multiple times now. I went to the Vanilla Visa website, and my card information worked there, but for some reason Steam won't accept it. I made all the numbers were right and that I have enough on the card.
You probably got it working by now but they don't instantly activate all the time. My Vanilla Visa card took a few hours to get the money in it, while my 2nd one activated by the time I got home. Just give it time :)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
is there a camping thread somewhere around here? Couldn't find anything in CC>DIY/Hobbies.

edit: nevermind, it's in watch and weight, link for anyone who was interested

vvv :ninja:

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 14, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

is there a camping thread somewhere around here? Couldn't find anything in CC>DIY/Hobbies.

edit: nevermind, it's in watch and weight, link for anyone who was interested

the Hiking & Backpacking thread has a camping section thats pretty good.

edit: That edit wasn't in the quote when I quoted it :stare:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do vets have a clinical way to test for scabies (a.k.a. mange) on cats, or will they just make the same appraisal that we've made, which is "if it's not X Y or Z, it sounds like it might be scabies, in which case you should do X."
My situation is, the cat has these spots where she keeps gnawing her fur off. we know it's not fleas or ticks. We have reason to believe it's not a food or litter allergy, since we've dealt with that before. We have reason to suspect it may be scabies (we've seen what might be burrows in the itchy spots; the fact that she's itching in a few localized spots and not all over like with fleas, which are more mobile). Will going to the $50 vet help, or will she just tell us what we already suspect and recommend some skin cream we could have gotten on our own?

Besesoth posted:

Nobody's talking about the soap, dude, we're talking about washing your dishes with a filthy sponge, which is like bathing with used toilet paper.
(and other dish-washing people)

The point of washing your dishes is to remove grease, same with your hands.

Antibacterial soap doesn't mean poo poo unless you're washing something porous that had raw meat on it. The point of soap is to get off gunk. Soap molecules surround gunk and allow it to be carried away.
Pathogens live in little (sometimes undetectable) spots of gunk. The point of cleaning is to remove that gunk. Then, once it dries, they have nowhere to live on the plate.
So the keys to cleaning are soap to loosen the gunk, and abrasion/physical force to remove it.

So considering that, I'd say that if a sponge that is so filthy that it can't carry gunk away / imparts more gunk, then yes, clean it. If a sponge smells gross and bacterial, but it can still remove gunk, don't worry about it, just don't ingest the sponge water directly.

Several studies (don't feel like looking them up) have verified that hot water does not really affect the bacteria removal of hand washing - it just makes it more comfortable, encouraging people to take their time rubbing their hands around with soap.
Hot water does, however, affect dishes to a point: the heat reduces the viscosity of oily stuff, helping it to come off more easily.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
What is this snake oil?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/14/spray_antennas/

Does that mean I'll be able to get antennas for my WiFi router with a bigger range? I don't see how spraying "nano-capacitors" on antennas is going to make a lick of difference. It seems like this would be huge news if it really worked.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How do doctors decide on being a proctologist, or a gynecologist or a podiatrist. Especially a gynecologist if they are male? I want to only deal with vaginas for the rest of my life.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

alnilam posted:

Do vets have a clinical way to test for scabies (a.k.a. mange) on cats, or will they just make the same appraisal that we've made, which is "if it's not X Y or Z, it sounds like it might be scabies, in which case you should do X."
My situation is, the cat has these spots where she keeps gnawing her fur off. we know it's not fleas or ticks. We have reason to believe it's not a food or litter allergy, since we've dealt with that before. We have reason to suspect it may be scabies (we've seen what might be burrows in the itchy spots; the fact that she's itching in a few localized spots and not all over like with fleas, which are more mobile). Will going to the $50 vet help, or will she just tell us what we already suspect and recommend some skin cream we could have gotten on our own?

Take that cat to the vet. It could be developing infections due to the bites or god knows what else. You can post your question here and get more answers, but most of them are probably going to be "go to the vet!"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

What is this snake oil?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/14/spray_antennas/

Does that mean I'll be able to get antennas for my WiFi router with a bigger range? I don't see how spraying "nano-capacitors" on antennas is going to make a lick of difference. It seems like this would be huge news if it really worked.

Antenna design is really weird, almost as much art as science (of course it's all determined by science, but the design itself is hard to be deterministic about). People are still finding out new stuff like, if you put X evenly spaced radial wires underneath instead of Y of them, it'll project more outward than upward by Z percent.

Capacitance and inductance has a lot to do with radio signal resonance. Surrounding an antenna with nanocapacitors, it's not impossible that it would help. But it wouldn't seem to me that spraying nanocaps, with no regard to where, how, or what capacitance, would improve every antenna ever by 100x. It may be engineered to work for certain bandwidths, that'd be a little more believable.

Unless there are more details out there than what I've read, I wouldn't get super excited about it yet - it's likely to be much more niche application than the PR is spinning it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

b0nes posted:

How do doctors decide on being a proctologist, or a gynecologist or a podiatrist. Especially a gynecologist if they are male? I want to only deal with vaginas for the rest of my life.

Often times, money. Especially proctology, which nowadays is generally the purvey of endoscopists. Endoscopists have a very fast turn around time between patients, so they can make a lot of money in a day, for not a lot of work, very little risk of the patient dying or getting complications, and all you have to do is be willing to look up a lot of poopers.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Where's a good place to ask about health insurance? I want to make sure what my health insurance company is doing is right. It feels off to me, but if its a legit thing, I'll go with it I guess.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I went to the ophthalmologist today and he said I have something going on with my eyes where the lids don't open as much as they should. He said "oh it's only a little bit and it's symmetrical so don't worry about it," so I'm not concerned or anything. I'd like to read more about it out of curiosity though, and I can't remember what the word he used for it was.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

b0nes posted:

Experience on rotations in medical school/desire to spend time in the OR vs. clinic/lifestyle vs. money considerations, mostly. With the exception of podiatry, which is its own school/professional track. Assuming you're serious and think OB/GYN would be exciting because you're a warm-blooded heterosexual male, I'm going to share a choice :nms: tale from the medical school megathread, which you should also check out if you're interested in pursuing medicine as a career.

Disgusting tale follows (can't empahsize enough how reading this may induce vomiting):

Pregnant woman in Obs for some pelvic pain, had some incredibly thick, greenish discharge. Like the clear plastic speculum looked like it was dipped in a can of primer after.
Of course it's + for GC, CT, BVag, AND Trich. But that's pretty routine by now.

What got me was when I went to talk to the patient after the results posted and walked in on the BF going down on her.

HIS BEARD LOOKED LIKE HE FELL INTO A TUB OF COTTAGE CHEESE

Pharmaskittle posted:

I went to the ophthalmologist today and he said I have something going on with my eyes where the lids don't open as much as they should. He said "oh it's only a little bit and it's symmetrical so don't worry about it," so I'm not concerned or anything. I'd like to read more about it out of curiosity though, and I can't remember what the word he used for it was.

Ptosis is probably what you're thinking of.

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 15, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

What should I be typing to find more music like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFJKlwiYhnU ?

Besides it being lobby music, what really appeals to me is that it has the feeling of being really far away and is coming through speakers with no bass..like I'm in a lobby and their speakers are in the ceiling.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

Besides it being lobby music, what really appeals to me is that it has the feeling of being really far away and is coming through speakers with no bass..like I'm in a lobby and their speakers are in the ceiling.

It's "Muzak". You might also have luck with "elevator music".

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

I believe that is a bossa nova rhythm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jrJ5mcCshw

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Seems your question has already been answered, but by my guess it's earlier than Bossa Nova. Try looking up combinations of "muzak" and "samba."

Here are some some fine selections with which to fill your elevator speakers in the meantime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbHkgWD3gk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ont0plYtgYM

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

My dad has a case of a degreaser called "Tornado 50"...The only thing I can think of is going to their website and using the contact info call or email them to see if you can order a jug.

As an update, I sent them an email and they told me to call their 1-800 number, so I did, but that was out of service. I called their regular number and talked to the girl that works in the office and found out that the smallest order you can get is a case of four one-gallon jugs for $47 plus $25 shipping (HAZMAT). I ordered a case because it kicks the poo poo out of Simple Green or any other cleaner I have ever used and I don't want to run out of it.

I asked why their market is so limited and found out it is a small family company with four employees and she said they don't have the infrastructure to deal with high volume, so mainly they just sell to commercial buyers that buy it by the pallet or 55gal drum. Her brother is the owner of the company and close to retirement age so jumping into a national or international market is a bigger bite than he is willing to chew.

Nair McBoodles
Aug 24, 2003

This ain't nothing but a summer jam. We're gonna party as much as we can.
Are there any rules for suffixes to words that maintain the verb/noun/whatever status? I feel like sometimes they change the meaning of the word and sometimes they don't. What I want is some guideline that lets me know if adding these suffixes leads to a new word or else just unnecessary syllables. There is probably no actual rhyme or reason like much of English. For this to make sense, I'll need some examples.

Dynamic versus dyanmical. They mean the same thing, though there might be slight variations in the definition rankings.

Waste versus wastage. They mean different things. Wastage is often used to describe a more gradual loss while waste tends to be more from inefficiency or destruction.

Majestical versus majestic. They mean the same thing. Merriam-Webster's online dictionary won't even acknowledge majestical, but it's certainly in common use.

Economic versus economical. Economic refers more to the field, while economical refers more to resource management.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

quote:

Waste versus wastage. They mean different things. Wastage is often used to describe a more gradual loss while waste tends to be more from inefficiency or destruction.

I don't think this is accurate. Wastage usually describes the process of something be wasted. Waste refers to the actual material.

As for majestical vs. majestic, majestic is much more standard.

There's no rule, but generally adding extra suffixes doesn't lead to a new word.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

SkunkDuster posted:

As an update, I sent them an email and they told me to call their 1-800 number, so I did, but that was out of service. I called their regular number and talked to the girl that works in the office and found out that the smallest order you can get is a case of four one-gallon jugs for $47 plus $25 shipping (HAZMAT). I ordered a case because it kicks the poo poo out of Simple Green or any other cleaner I have ever used and I don't want to run out of it.

I asked why their market is so limited and found out it is a small family company with four employees and she said they don't have the infrastructure to deal with high volume, so mainly they just sell to commercial buyers that buy it by the pallet or 55gal drum. Her brother is the owner of the company and close to retirement age so jumping into a national or international market is a bigger bite than he is willing to chew.

If you're looking for good cleaners, Kleen Warrior is fantastic too. We use it at work and it just kills grease/dirt/pen marks. We used it to scrub 4 years worth of dirt from our tiling grout and the floor looked brand new.

Plus we sprayed it in the owner's mouth and he seems okay so it must be safe too!!!!

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Are there programs that can make images like this

or is it just lots of hours in photoshop

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Andreamosaic is what I've used to make something sort of similar. It's possible that if you manually select only pictures with a white background you'll get something similar but honestly I don't know if it'll be enough. It's free though so give it a shot.

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Andreamosaic is what I've used to make something sort of similar. It's possible that if you manually select only pictures with a white background you'll get something similar but honestly I don't know if it'll be enough. It's free though so give it a shot.

http://www.andreaplanet.com/andreamosaic/

perfect, thanks

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

To help with specific artists, give Henry Mancini and Stan Getz a try. That should give you a jumping off point. Mancini especially has an album called "martinis with mancini" that's hilarious.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Like someone else said, there is no "small travel questions" thread in the travel subforum, so here we go:

I need a passport (US) before March 14th...I looked at the US passport website, and it seems the best way is to wait until two weeks before my travel date, then go in person to a regional passport office (one just 30 minutes from me,) and get one there. I should have it within a week...an expedited one by mail should be 203 weeks, but could easily be more, I think...

Has anyone had any experience going in person to a passport office?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

Like someone else said, there is no "small travel questions" thread in the travel subforum, so here we go:

I need a passport (US) before March 14th...I looked at the US passport website, and it seems the best way is to wait until two weeks before my travel date, then go in person to a regional passport office (one just 30 minutes from me,) and get one there. I should have it within a week...an expedited one by mail should be 203 weeks, but could easily be more, I think...

Why are you supposed to wait? I'd get it as soon as possible.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I got one from the regional office in DC about two years ago.

You'll have to bring your travel itinerary (to prove that you're leaving within two weeks,) and ALL of your documentation. If you don't have something you don't get a passport. The website does list everything you'll need though. Get your pictures taken somewhere before going to the office; there will be a place next to the office usually but they'll charge something obscene. You have to make an appointment and you want to get there well before your appointment time. You'll give some person your documents, they'll go over them, and then you'll sit and wait for several hours, and then they'll give you the passport.

The website says that the expedited time is 2-3 weeks door to door right now with overnight delivery; I'd seriously consider going that route. If you wait you'll have to schedule an appointment, and they may not have one at a time that suits you.

I also remember needing my parents birthtowns for some reason, so find that out so you don't have to call them from the office.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I went in October or so for a trip in December. They tell you something like 4-6 (or 6-8?) weeks, but mine came in 2 or 3. In any case, it's better to go earlier, since you'll just pay more for expedited service.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why are you supposed to wait? I'd get it as soon as possible.

That's the rule for going in person to the office...like Fork of Unknown Origins said, you have to bring proof of your travel itinerary or they'll be all :frogout:

Ok, well I have all my forms (thankfully, I have an older passport that, while expired, is still valid to let me receive a new passport with no other documentation), all I need is my passport photo...there's a place right down the road from my office that does them fairly cheap. I guess I'll get that done on my lunch break, overnight it with expedited service, and ask for it to be overnighted back...that gives me just over three weeks to get it.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Will my 90's shiny Pokemon cards appreciate at all at any point in the future or will they forever be stuck at garage sale prices? Is it worth it to get them mint certified before throwing them up on eBay? Sadly, none of them are Charizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Will my 90's shiny Pokemon cards appreciate at all at any point in the future or will they forever be stuck at garage sale prices? Is it worth it to get them mint certified before throwing them up on eBay? Sadly, none of them are Charizards.

It's incredibly unlikely, especially if you don't already have something considered rare.