Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Now to find my spare tube, and mount this worn-and-punctured tire as my spare...

It's so tiny! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the walkin dude posted:

And they have split rims so you don't even need tire irons. Who knew the Italians were so good at engineering!

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

the walkin dude posted:

3.5x10", or do you just mean the scooter? (both)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And they have split rims so you don't even need tire irons. Who knew the Italians were so good at engineering!

Yeah, it's pretty rad. Though using tires designed for tubeless rims still makes it a bit of a pain to change tires, even with a split rim - when I did it, it took lots of warm, soapy water and lots of jumping and standing on the tire to break the bead. At least with my Continental Zippy 1 tires. It is apparently possible to split the rim enough to swap the tube without removing the tire, but I've never needed to do it.

The spare rim mounts around the battery, by the way, and all gets tucked in under the left side cowl (out of frame).

When your original design concept was for extremely cheap transportation for a country recovering from the wrong end of a war, you make things very easy to work on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Split rim is the best design. Makes changing tires super quick and easy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

_Dav posted:

BINGO. 4 headers is so 'normal' looking that its boring. Not a fan of the single header on Sv650s though, looks doofy.

It's "normal" because it goes up thru the inside of the bike and out underneath the seat, in the tail. It's a cheap Japanese 600...

I'll take my boring headers cause I have no worries about burnt boots or tail bags :)

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

3.5x10", or do you just mean the scooter? (both)

The tires. I miss my Roughhouse 50. Ravenous yet tiny "dirt-bike" tires!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bucephalus posted:

:colbert:

this is the best post.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Stay tuned, Charlie...I'm replacing the stator in my wife's uncle's GL1200. :suicide:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Bucephalus posted:

Stay tuned, Charlie...I'm replacing the stator in my wife's uncle's GL1200. :suicide:

Step 1: remove engine.

Step 2: fix hernia.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Adjusted the valves, adjusted the cam chain tensioner, and tried to install the stock airbox. gently caress that. Seems fine with the pods on it. I just need to get the correct size so they aren't squished between the frame and carb, and blocking the choke.

MSF next weekend. Can't wait to ride this thing.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BlackLaser posted:

Adjusted the valves, adjusted the cam chain tensioner, and tried to install the stock airbox. gently caress that. Seems fine with the pods on it. I just need to get the correct size so they aren't squished between the frame and carb, and blocking the choke.

MSF next weekend. Can't wait to ride this thing.

Personally I prefer pods, even if they make it a bit harder to sync the carbs. The only downside is you really can't ride in heavy rain. I ruined the 77 cb750k doing that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Airboxes (airboxen?) is the achilles heel of japanese bikes. Shinto knows how the gently caress you're supposed to replace it. It's like they welded the frame around it. I can remove mine if I remove the engine first.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Personally I prefer pods, even if they make it a bit harder to sync the carbs. The only downside is you really can't ride in heavy rain. I ruined the 77 cb750k doing that.

It's perfectly doable to jet and synchronize carburetors equipped with pod filters, if you know what you're doing. It's sometimes a painful task, but it's manageable.

I've never heard about anyone having problems in heavy rain, but it's possible, I guess.

The real problem with pod filters is that you remove the rear support for your for your carburetors, and 99% of all installs I've seen doesn't address this problem.

If you install pod filters you MUST get creative and fix some support between the engine and the carburetor block.

Without this you will destroy your intake boots and, more important, introduce a tsunami-like effect in your float bowls. A stable float level is much more important for correct carburetor operation than most people recognize.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
I found it interesting reading about the problems they had trying to make carbs work in planes when they were going upside down or pulling high g manoeuvres.

This eventually led to something known as 'Miss Shilling's orifice'

quote:

Early in its development, the Merlin engine's lack of direct fuel injection meant that both Spitfires and Hurricanes, unlike the Bf 109E, were unable to simply nose down into a steep dive. This meant a Luftwaffe fighter could simply "bunt" into a high-power dive to escape an attack, leaving the Spitfire behind, as its fuel was forced by negative "g" out of the carburettor. RAF fighter pilots soon learnt to "half-roll" their aircraft before diving to pursue their opponents.[78] Carburettors were adopted because, as Sir Stanley Hooker explained, it was believed that the carburettor "increased the performance of the supercharger and thereby increased the power of the engine."[79] In March 1941, a metal diaphragm with a hole in it was fitted In the fuel line, restricting fuel flow to the maximum the engine could consume. While it did not cure the problem of the initial fuel starvation in a dive, it did reduce the more serious problem of the carburettor being flooded with fuel by the fuel pumps under negative "g". It became known as "Miss Shilling's orifice" as it was invented by Beatrice "Tilly" Shilling. Further improvements were introduced throughout the Merlin series, with Bendix-manufactured pressure carburettors, which were designed to allow fuel to flow during all flight attitudes, introduced in 1942.[79]

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Sir Cornelius posted:

The real problem with pod filters is that you remove the rear support for your for your carburetors, and 99% of all installs I've seen doesn't address this problem.

If you install pod filters you MUST get creative and fix some support between the engine and the carburetor block.

Without this you will destroy your intake boots and, more important, introduce a tsunami-like effect in your float bowls. A stable float level is much more important for correct carburetor operation than most people recognize.

I guess I know what I'm doing today :doh:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sir Cornelius posted:

It's perfectly doable to jet and synchronize carburetors equipped with pod filters, if you know what you're doing. It's sometimes a painful task, but it's manageable.

I've never heard about anyone having problems in heavy rain, but it's possible, I guess.

Jetting pods isn't difficult, it's just a bit harder to get a good sync. They're a bit more touchy.

I've never had a problem, even with my makeshift wire hangar supports. But yes, please support the rack from the back.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Jetting pods isn't difficult, it's just a bit harder to get a good sync. They're a bit more touchy.

I've never had a problem, even with my makeshift wire hangar supports. But yes, please support the rack from the back.

The bigger issue with pods is the problems of moving your legs around and adjusting the mixture as a result of funnelling more or less air across the mouths of the carbs. The airbox provides a consistent intake path and flow, pods generally do not.

That's not to say that there aren't bikes that respond well to pods, it's just that it depends on a couple of variables that have to be established before you go ripping off airboxes.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Z3n posted:

The bigger issue with pods is the problems of moving your legs around and adjusting the mixture as a result of funnelling more or less air across the mouths of the carbs. The airbox provides a consistent intake path and flow, pods generally do not.

That's not to say that there aren't bikes that respond well to pods, it's just that it depends on a couple of variables that have to be established before you go ripping off airboxes.

The type of pod filter also makes a huge difference. Some bikes respond really well to foam pods, others work better with k&n.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
My TW200 I purchased a while back had a 230 kit done on it. The guy that did it was literally a Nazi which I found out by the SS stickers hidden on it when it arrived to my house. Nazis think using a dremel to add a coolant passage and letting the metal shavings fall into the crank case is an okay thing to do. My engine still runs despite all that but I dont want to deal with a midseason breakdown and dont want to deal with rebuilding the engine before spring. I found another ridiculous TW200 for sale and have purchased that.

Most of my parts from my current TW200 will be going to the new one and I've started to remove them. A fresh 4k mile engine, unscraped body, and cleanly installed everything will be a nice reboot for my bike.

Fender (not actually installed just fitted in the pic), Tank, Risers, Bar, Seat, rear grip, light, and plate mount will all be moved to the new bike.

The new one

I now have 3 motorcycles and a scooter. I have a problem. Zuma, 2nd Gen SV650, and 2 silly TW200's. I'm so pumped for the summer.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
where are you finding these insane tw200s? or are they finding you? :psyduck:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

where are you finding these insane tw200s? or are they finding you? :psyduck:

I eye the tw200 forums often, I had been looking for a new engine for a bit and the only one I've seen that I'd trust is 1k. I figured since the exhaust is worth 500 and this one is much cleaner why not go for it. Buying one mostly done is wayyyyyy cheaper than piecing together. I'll swap the stuff I want onto this body and sell my old one.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Replaced the rigged up toggle switch the PO was using for an ignition switch with an OEM keyed one off ebay for $11. Why the gently caress would you go through all the trouble of soldering up some lovely switch when replacements are that cheap? At least he didn't gently caress the harness up and the replacement took all of 5 minutes to plugin.

Fine southern craftsmanship ahead.:bahgawd:

Also the combo of oil and sugar sand has been blasted off the bike.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

titanium posted:

My TW200 I purchased a while back had a 230 kit done on it. The guy that did it was literally a Nazi which I found out by the SS stickers hidden on it when it arrived to my house. Nazis think using a dremel to add a coolant passage and letting the metal shavings fall into the crank case is an okay thing to do. My engine still runs despite all that but I dont want to deal with a midseason breakdown and dont want to deal with rebuilding the engine before spring. I found another ridiculous TW200 for sale and have purchased that.

Most of my parts from my current TW200 will be going to the new one and I've started to remove them. A fresh 4k mile engine, unscraped body, and cleanly installed everything will be a nice reboot for my bike.

Fender (not actually installed just fitted in the pic), Tank, Risers, Bar, Seat, rear grip, light, and plate mount will all be moved to the new bike.

The new one

I now have 3 motorcycles and a scooter. I have a problem. Zuma, 2nd Gen SV650, and 2 silly TW200's. I'm so pumped for the summer.

Gay marriage may be legal again in California very soon. :allears:

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

titanium posted:

Is that a fleshlight in your exhaust?

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

Just finished putting on new pads and a rotor on the XS. Old pads were about as thick as a piece of construction paper, what a difference now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Finally had time to change the chain and sprockets on the SV. Front sprocket was toast.

Then I was all ready to ride in this morning for beautiful weather and the drat thing wouldn't start. I just wanted to ride my drat motorcycle but now I get to play find the short when I get home.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Forty Two posted:

:lol: I didn't notice that. Someone better buy him a custom Fleshlight-related avatar.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Forty Two posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed that. I've seen them on occasion on old VM bugs.

I think they are DB killers.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Forty Two posted:

Yeah I dont know wtf the lighting was doing there but its just a flat cap exhaust off one of those dumb stacking plate exhaust systems, maybe soot got cleared off of the plate odd or something. Its awful compared to how the BEAMS exhaust sounds.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Don't worry, I'm not judging. I too understand you passion for vehicles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjeqlmb7Ri8

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

I'm replacing the stator in my wife's uncle's GL1200. :suicide:

Welp

Toast:

PO fuckery:

^That is not the correct lower fairing crosspiece for this bike...it was held to the downtubes with hose clamps.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I bought it....

$3800 out the door no BS. Really surprised, the dealer was awesome.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fuuuuuuuuuck I'm jealous

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Did some lane splitting at traffic lights, got in front of some Subaru WRX. Lights went green, and the WRX just surges around me with the driver yelling at me and doing the one finger salute.

I'm just sitting there thinking "wtf?" and go my merry way, watching him go on the motorway onramp ... I had some errand to do which took me all of 5 minutes.

Caught up to the fucker in that time and returned the salute. :smug:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Odette posted:

Did some lane splitting at traffic lights, got in front of some Subaru WRX. Lights went green, and the WRX just surges around me with the driver yelling at me and doing the one finger salute.

I'm just sitting there thinking "wtf?" and go my merry way, watching him go on the motorway onramp ... I had some errand to do which took me all of 5 minutes.

Caught up to the fucker in that time and returned the salute. :smug:

This is the sole reason close-ratio sportsbike gears are any good: you roll off from some lights and some wanker acts like Mr. WRX did in your situation, you're still in first and can make them feel even more impotent before you're even grabbed another gear. It's a safety feature.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Man, just yesterday some guy with an Impreza with a sticker saying some crap like "Keep drooling I'm spooling" on it would not piss off. My roommate with a literally taped together XJ600 smoked him off the line eventually.

Also somebody tried to steal his bike last night but left mine mysteriously alone. Assholes tried to screwdriver the key, then pulled random wires to try to hotwire it. Luckily they managed not to short anything and he got it working fine within the hour.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Bixington posted:

Man, just yesterday some guy with an Impreza with a sticker saying some crap like "Keep drooling I'm spooling" on it would not piss off. My roommate with a literally taped together XJ600 smoked him off the line eventually.

Also somebody tried to steal his bike last night but left mine mysteriously alone. Assholes tried to screwdriver the key, then pulled random wires to try to hotwire it. Luckily they managed not to short anything and he got it working fine within the hour.

On the topic of bumper stickers; my uncle has a Dodge Demon 440. It's been heavily worked over and is putting around 800 to the ground. He has a bumper sticker that says, "My fuel pump is louder than your Prius!" and it is....

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I can hear my Buell's fuel pump over the Jardine can. That's how you know it's working!

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

clutchpuck posted:

I can hear my Buell's fuel pump over the Jardine can. That's how you know it's working!

On the SV the fuel pump was really loud when it was priming.. on the Tuono I can't tell if its working or not when I turn the key. And definitely can't hear it while running.. top end noise from the motor is pretty intense.. like its lubricated with loose nuts and bolts..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

clutchpuck posted:

Hearing it prime when I first turn the key makes me feel like a fighter pilot :c00l: