Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
How often do those memos ever get actioned nowadays in the era of the multiplexes? Usually they have some minimum wage kid hitting a button on an automated machine and then running away, to the point where if there is a problem with the sound or image even ten seconds in, you have to out in the lobby to find someone to fix it. I can't imagine changing the default settings when you're lucky if that same screen will be showing the exact same movie all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

They posted an image from Being John Malkovich on the FB page, in reference to next week's announcements.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

FitFortDanga posted:

They posted an image from Being John Malkovich on the FB page, in reference to next week's announcements.

Sweet. I get the impression that it's not well loved around these parts but I've been a big fan since the first time I saw it. I've been putting off buying it on DVD forever...guess this will be a good excuse to grab it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Ratedargh posted:

Sweet. I get the impression that it's not well loved around these parts but I've been a big fan since the first time I saw it. I've been putting off buying it on DVD forever...guess this will be a good excuse to grab it.

People can speak for themselves but I love this movie. I think I might have to trade in my current DVD copy and shell out for the Blu Ray at some point.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

Ratedargh posted:

Saw it for the first time during the holidays, and loved it. I'll definitely be purchasing it when announced.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I like all of Kaufman's films but I feel like Eternal Sunshine is the only one that stands up to multiple viewings. By the third time I saw BJM, the quirkiness wore off and felt more forced in spots and I feel there were issues with the pacing in the second half.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Maybe I'm reading this email wrong, but in addition to a 50% code for criterion.com (SWAK, starting at noon tomorrow), they gave out a $10 credit to everyone who created a wishlist on the site?

So, that's basically going to be a disc for $9.99 + shipping?

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

robix smash posted:

Maybe I'm reading this email wrong, but in addition to a 50% code for criterion.com (SWAK, starting at noon tomorrow), they gave out a $10 credit to everyone who created a wishlist on the site?

So, that's basically going to be a disc for $9.99 + shipping?

Yeah, if you got the wishlist credit. And you only get to use it once. For most people, though, it's not really much of a sale.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
If it wasn't for shipping to Canada - $20 bucks right off the bat - I'd probably order a couple DVDs tomorrow. That said, I wonder if the credit works on stuff that's under $10, like an Essential Art House DVD.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

kuddles posted:

I like all of Kaufman's films but I feel like Eternal Sunshine is the only one that stands up to multiple viewings. By the third time I saw BJM, the quirkiness wore off and felt more forced in spots and I feel there were issues with the pacing in the second half.

It's one of those movies where you can watch it multiple times, but you need to space out the viewings to at minimum once a year. Same with Adaptation, which is my favorite of his, but after I saw it I immediately watched it again with my mom the next day and now I don't know if I want to see it again for a long time.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Jack Does Jihad posted:

Yeah, if you got the wishlist credit. And you only get to use it once. For most people, though, it's not really much of a sale.

In conjunction with a 50% off sale it's pretty useful, I think.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
It's a good deal for enough people to crash the site at 11:59.

Ridley327
Feb 9, 2009
I managed to get my order through, but be prepared to deal with a lot of 500 errors along the way.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Yeah, I finally got through. 8 1/2 for $16.80, pretty good.

robix smash fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 14, 2012

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Could be worse, I didn't even get an email. The hell, Criterion.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
FINALLY got my order through.

Solaris
Blow Out
Belle du Jour
Paths of Glory
Branded to Kill
Tokyo Drifter

$109.82 w/ free shipping after $10 credit.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Site is so hosed. :(

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I've picked out what I want (probably, I think) but I'm going to wait until this evening, it's just insanely hard to get through right now.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Going for Blus of The Lady Vanishes, The Rules of the Game, and Bigger Than Life.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I really wanted Letter Never Sent more than anything, but seeing as that doesn't come out 'til next month, settling for Sans Soleil/La Jetee on blu is a more than welcome consolation prize.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
No one "settles" for Chris Marker; one just remembers that his films are what you meant to buy in the first place. :colbert:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Going for Blow Out, Paris, Texas, and La Jetee/Sans Soleil. If anyone wants to talk me out of these purchases, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Of course this is all moot if I can't access the site by evening.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Going for Blow Out, Paris, Texas, and La Jetee/Sans Soleil. If anyone wants to talk me out of these purchases, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Of course this is all moot if I can't access the site by evening.
You just gotta believe in yourself! I just brute forced my way through the whole process for Thin Red Line, Bottle Rocket, and Darjeeling Ltd.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Is there a code or something that gives you the 50% off? Or does it appear when you have stuff in your cart?

Because everything in-store is still showing up as its normal price for me.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

GonSmithe posted:

Is there a code or something that gives you the 50% off? Or does it appear when you have stuff in your cart?

Because everything in-store is still showing up as its normal price for me.

Maybe try scrolling back seventeen posts on this very page?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Maybe try scrolling back seventeen posts on this very page?

Woops :v:

Thank you for being so kind about it, though.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

kaujot posted:

No one "settles" for Chris Marker; one just remembers that his films are what you meant to buy in the first place. :colbert:

A fine point. I want an Eclipse set for his more obscure stuff that is pretty hard to get here, like, oh, I don't know, One Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenievich. Are you listening, Criterion?! :argh:

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Kull the Conqueror posted:

A fine point. I want an Eclipse set for his more obscure stuff that is pretty hard to get here, like, oh, I don't know, One Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenievich. Are you listening, Criterion?! :argh:

Icarus Films was listening. (You can usually find better prices on their stuff elsewhere though.)

I'm actually pretty impressed at Icarus's catalog. Did they only recently start making their stuff available for home video (as opposed to institutional use) or have I just been in the dark?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm looking to grab:

Chungking Express (BR)
Eyes Without A Face
Godzilla (BR)
The Red Shoes (BR)

Might swap Eyes Without A Face for something else but I can't decide. Their site being uncooperative is not helping :argh:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

leokitty posted:

I'm looking to grab:

Chungking Express (BR)
Eyes Without A Face
Godzilla (BR)
The Red Shoes (BR)

Might swap Eyes Without A Face for something else but I can't decide. Their site being uncooperative is not helping :argh:
If you just want to browse, try Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Criterion-Col...on%20collection

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fenix down posted:

You just gotta believe in yourself! I just brute forced my way through the whole process for Thin Red Line, Bottle Rocket, and Darjeeling Ltd.

I want to believe, but...but... :negative:

I mean I guess I can just wait for the B&N sale, whenever that is, but...still! Immediacy!

Edit: Argh Paris, Texas sold out. Wait, why is THAT the movie people are buying on Valentine's Day? Why not something actually romantic, like Wings of Desire or Salo? :(

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 14, 2012

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

fenix down posted:

If you just want to browse, try Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Criterion-Col...on%20collection

I make up my mind by adding things to my cart and hemming and hawwing about them :(

Revolute
Aug 2, 2007

we've got our peace of mind
Godzilla sold out while the site was making GBS threads the bed :negative:

Still got blus of Three Outlaw Samurai, Kuroneko and Modern Times. Good deal.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I missed out on Godzilla too :smith: But they just sent out an email saying they'll be sending a separate code for anything that went out of stock after this is done, so yay for that.

Did wind up changing my mind: Chungking Express (BR), The Red Shoes (BR), and Heaven Can Wait for me and Rushmore (BR) as a gift to my fiance. Hooray.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In the time it took to go from My Wishlist to My Cart, Seven Samurai sold out. :negative:

Ended up with Broadcast News, Sanjuro, and Jimi at Monterey blu-rays.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 15, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Goddammit. I wish I had read this thread yesterday, because half of what I wanted is out of stock.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criterion's sale clusterfuck has forced them to postpone the new announcements until tomorrow. But they posted another hint, apparently a still from Certified Copy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion's sale clusterfuck has forced them to postpone the new announcements until tomorrow. But they posted another hint, apparently a still from Certified Copy.

I hope that they can get the rights to The Unbearable Lightness Of Being from Warner. The more Juliette Binoche on Blu-Ray, the better :swoon:

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Criterion are totally jerks for releasing a still that looks so much like In the Mood for Love, but isn't. I can't see ever watching Certified Copy a second time honestly.

kuddles posted:

Goddammit. I wish I had read this thread yesterday, because half of what I wanted is out of stock.
There is going to be a second code for out of stock items they said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

i thought they'd said they weren't releasing it. What changed?