Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

j3rkstore posted:

Is there any downside to buying off-lease NetApp shelves on ebay? Some of the retailers have warranty options so I'd be looking at those.

I recently got a quote for a shelf which totals more than I paid for the filer, disks, and software. Now the rep is telling me drive prices are going up 10-15% which I think is :psyduck:

It depends on what you plan on storing on them. If it's just your warez :unsmith: collection, go for it! If it's a snapmirror/snapvault secondary for corporate windows workgroup data, I'd say you're probably ok as well. If it's your CRM or corporate email, I'd say it's a bad idea. You'll be protected from low level disk errors provided you keep enough spares around for the aggregates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

evil_bunnY posted:

Where do you intend to get replacement drives?

I've seen next-business-day from multiple retailers for products under warranty, with the option to extend to 3 years.

:filez: on a SAN, maybe when I win MegaMillions?

Puck42
Oct 7, 2005

bort posted:

e: /\ /\ /\ that sounds to me like your monitoring software needs a MIB with the vendor-specific info. You have that already?

Yeah, I'm hitting the OIDs directly using snmpget/snmpwalk and getting nothing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

j3rkstore posted:

:filez: on a SAN, maybe when I win MegaMillions?
I have 2 MD1000's at home, and I regret nothing.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 11, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I could have had a rhombically bent AX4.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

I have 2 MD1000's at home, and I regret nothing.

I absolutely do not store any warez on my FAS3210 with PAMII at home. None at all. The DS4243 attached to it is totally work related. :ninja:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

You have 220V in your house? :slick:

Do you have to keep that rig air conditioned? That's a half ton right there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bort posted:

Some of us live in civilized countries.

My shelves are in a sound proof cabinet with a pair of outside ducts.

bort posted:

I could have had a rhombically bent AX4.
Accidental dropkick?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 12, 2012

bort
Mar 13, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Accidental dropkick?
A tech dropped it on its ear re-racking it. It looked sort of like :\ but with a smashed ear.

evil_bunnY posted:

Some of us live in civilized countries.
:911: Where the metric system is considered a left-wing issue.

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

bort posted:

Most power supplies will autorange from 90 to 250, so you can hook them up to 240V single phase. Just have to find yourself a NEMA 6-15P/6-20P to C13 cord.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005

bort posted:

240V...

Small split system keeps it cool, enough. Definitely no autosupports going out of her thats for sure.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Doing a new SMB Vmware deployment, thinking that the Netapp FAS2240-2 looks like my best bet in this space. Any other opinions on this?

We will have:
4-6 physical hosts running about 50 VM's, not heavy IO. ~1.5TB non-deduped
One physical database cluster SQL08, heavy-ish IO. 2TB currently

Dedupe is the only fancy feature I'm really interested in. Reliability of the unit is paramount.

Price point I'm looking at is low-end san territory, $20k or so to start plus reasonable expansion costs.

EMC VNXe, dedupe appears not as good and this thread basically turned into a poo poo on EMC support factory, so that's a turnoff.

Equallogic didn't seem particularly compelling, no 10g/8g FC options in this price range.

NFS still seems to be nicest way to present deduped volumes to vmware, but I guess vaai is going to change this, so not be as much of an issue if the arrays supports that. Can't think of a compelling reason for iscsi/nfs besides that.

Assuming I could direct connect my database pair via the netapp's 4 x SAS ports, or are those reserved for disk shelf expansions?
Also, don't currently work with any Netapp resellers. Is it worth finding one or just go right to netapp, who's going to have better pricing?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Oh Openfiler has Dedupe and DRBD?

So long freenas

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm trying to figure out a list of SAN vendors to look at.

So far we've looked at:
Compellent
Sun
IBM

Others I can think of:
Netapp
HP Lefthand
EMC
Equalogic
3par (gently caress, also owned by HP?)

Are any of those not making products anymore? Any other companies I should try and look at?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Yes thats a super open ended question. Whats your budget/feature requirements/etc/etc/etc

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What Syano said. But if your requirements match what they can provide, and you don't have a dedicated storage admin, I wouldn't sell Equallogic short.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

I wouldn't sell Equallogic short.

This, for clients want a VM setup I usually just go get a Equallogic setup as it is really easy to install, maintain, and provides a decent value.

Bitch Stewie
Dec 17, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm trying to figure out a list of SAN vendors to look at.

So far we've looked at:
Compellent
Sun
IBM

Others I can think of:
Netapp
HP Lefthand
EMC
Equalogic
3par (gently caress, also owned by HP?)

Are any of those not making products anymore? Any other companies I should try and look at?

As Syano said, it's a bit like simply asking "what car should I look at?" without knowing if you want 7 seats and have fat kids or you want a sports coupe...

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Interestingly, it appears that the iSCSI initiator in Server 2008 R2 is much faster than in Server 2003...we upgraded a box that was connected to our Netapp via 10Gbe and measured throughput jumped from 100MB/sec to 400MB/sec. Has anyone else noticed this?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well I was hoping for just a list of major manufacturers.

We're looking at getting an all encompassing SAN to hold our VM infrastructure and user data. We really like compellent for the automatic tiering, because it fits well our data.

We're a university department, and professors will buy blocks of space for themselves, and then never touch it, so we like that it will migrate down to the lowest tier on its own. And also that our VMs would migrate to the top on their own, and lots of home directory data would live somewhere in between. We'll hopefully be fully virtualized as well, which everything will live in VMDK files.

I think our budget is $100k, but I'm really not sure on that. A lot depends on if its good enough to get people to buy in, so the budget is kind of an open ended question.

If anybody makes anything that compares with the automatic tiering and block level RAID of compellent I'm all ears.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Get that EMC Storage book I posted in the other thread it will really help you make a clearer decision.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Corvettefisher posted:

Get that EMC Storage book I posted in the other thread it will really help you make a clearer decision.

Yeah, I emailed my boss, if he doesn't get back to me I'll just order them myself. It can come out of my tax refund, since that's going into my VCP fund anyway.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Doing a new SMB Vmware deployment, thinking that the Netapp FAS2240-2 looks like my best bet in this space. Any other opinions on this?

We will have:
4-6 physical hosts running about 50 VM's, not heavy IO. ~1.5TB non-deduped
One physical database cluster SQL08, heavy-ish IO. 2TB currently

Dedupe is the only fancy feature I'm really interested in. Reliability of the unit is paramount.

Price point I'm looking at is low-end san territory, $20k or so to start plus reasonable expansion costs.

EMC VNXe, dedupe appears not as good and this thread basically turned into a poo poo on EMC support factory, so that's a turnoff.

Equallogic didn't seem particularly compelling, no 10g/8g FC options in this price range.

NFS still seems to be nicest way to present deduped volumes to vmware, but I guess vaai is going to change this, so not be as much of an issue if the arrays supports that. Can't think of a compelling reason for iscsi/nfs besides that.

Assuming I could direct connect my database pair via the netapp's 4 x SAS ports, or are those reserved for disk shelf expansions?
Also, don't currently work with any Netapp resellers. Is it worth finding one or just go right to netapp, who's going to have better pricing?

Look at Nimble, it's a bit over your price range, but I'm pushing about 50% block level dedupe (They keep referring to it as compression which it technically isn't) on my SQL db's and my VMFS operating systems datastore is barely using any of the space I allocated it: to the point where I'm about to create a new datastore, migrate and reclaim some storage.

I've just started working with this thing and compared to the frustrations of EMC and Unisphere I'm having a blast.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Rhymenoserous posted:

Look at Nimble, it's a bit over your price range, but I'm pushing about 50% block level dedupe (They keep referring to it as compression which it technically isn't) on my SQL db's and my VMFS operating systems datastore is barely using any of the space I allocated it: to the point where I'm about to create a new datastore, migrate and reclaim some storage.

I've just started working with this thing and compared to the frustrations of EMC and Unisphere I'm having a blast.

I would never use Nimble given how small and new they are. We looked at them in the past because one of their reps is a personal friend of one of the managers here, and they have such a small user-base and team. Just my personal opinion.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Rhymenoserous posted:

Thanks for the tip, have never heard of these guys but it looks good on paper. Just the usual concerns with not using a main tier vendor, support, training etc. These are fixed units with no expansion trays?

I would be surprised to get any dedupe on my db's, where we do have similar db data we use SQL08's compression and it's fabulous. Mostly looking at that feature for my VM's because as you've pointed out I could turn my 2TB of VM storage into like 100G since they all run the same Win2k8 or Ubuntu distro with very little custom data.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

three posted:

I would never use Nimble given how small and new they are. We looked at them in the past because one of their reps is a personal friend of one of the managers here, and they have such a small user-base and team. Just my personal opinion.

Nimble is comprised of ex-NetApp folks, so they are attempting to play in roughly the same space by doing something like "NetApp, but better". I have no idea if the product is compelling or not, but given that they only started in 2009 I'd be wary of putting anything enterprise class on their gear until they have some sort of track record and some valid references.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I would be surprised to get any dedupe on my db's, where we do have similar db data we use SQL08's compression and it's fabulous. Mostly looking at that feature for my VM's because as you've pointed out I could turn my 2TB of VM storage into like 100G since they all run the same Win2k8 or Ubuntu distro with very little custom data.

Compression and dedupe work in different and sometimes complementary ways. Compression works on blocks or contiguous segments of blocks, while dedupe works across all blocks in the volume. So compression may shrink a segment of 4 distinct blocks into two distinct blocks, while dedupe might then see that those two distinct blocks also exist elsewhere on the volume and replace them with pointers. Depending on the type of data you can easily see benefits from both. And obviously if you're running multiple SQL instances compression doesn't work across those, but dedupe will (depending on the SAN layout).

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

For fucks sake EMC.

I've had this one unit showing drive 0 failed for two weeks now. Everyday they call me and ask me to send SPCollects (log files), which I inform them over and over again that I can't do, it errors out. But every day they ask the same thing. They send a tech out, he looks at it, says he can't talk to it, does nothing, and bounces me back to web support, who again does the same song and dance.

EDIT:
What the gently caress? These things run Windows XP Embedded?

Serfer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 16, 2012

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > Enterprise Storage Megathread: For fucks sake EMC.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

Serfer posted:

What the gently caress? These things run Windows XP Embedded?

Clariion right?

Aside from the horrible installation support from EMC, I was always amused with the mishmash of hardware and software on their stuff. Their control station was an Intel ISP1100 running some old version of Redhat (7 I think).

Nothing was more frustrating than being at work for 32+ hours while their techs *RACK* the system. They were opening everything one at a time, reading all the manuals FOR THE RAILS, then phoning home ASKING FOR MORE SUPPORT. Wouldn't give me a chance to do it as they wouldn't approve it.

When they were finally finished with racking and cabling (another 36 hour day), we were left with a disgustingly messy installation. Co-worker and I re-racked/re-cabled it in a 4 hour maintenance window a few years later when we had to move it because the facility built out our racks improperly (perpendicular to a hot/cold aisle).

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Welp, I think I can cross EMC off of my list.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
I've had great experiences with the EMC techs that have come onsite to relocate arrays/add disk trays etc. They were nice friendly guys, knew their poo poo, kept everything neat and worked quickly. I suppose it varies from region to region though.

Phone support is a different story altogether

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If there's even a hint of bad support that's a serious deal breaker for us, since we've had some pretty bad support with existing Sun stuff.

optikalus
Apr 17, 2008

GrandMaster posted:

I've had great experiences with the EMC techs that have come onsite to relocate arrays/add disk trays etc. They were nice friendly guys, knew their poo poo, kept everything neat and worked quickly. I suppose it varies from region to region though.

Phone support is a different story altogether

In EMC's defense, it was only the initial install guys that were garbage. We had some great techs come after the install to assist with new shelf installations, flare upgrades, etc.

However, they should be sending top guys to make sure the system gets up and running and is installed properly and professionally. First impressions are the most important. Wasting 60+ hours of the client's time for a simple installation should never happen.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If your budget provides for it, I honestly wouldn't consider anything other than netapp.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Was it even EMC techs? In my experience, almost every storage vendor will send their resellers to do the initial install. This was the case when Isilon (EMC) did an install for me last week, in fact.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

adorai posted:

If your budget provides for it, I honestly wouldn't consider anything other than netapp.
truth that. We needed the oomph of top tier netapps (17 62xx clusters) and had the $$$. We have no regrets. Netapp has made me fall in love with NFS after a year long stint with nearly 100% block. gently caress configuring FC. I'll take IP any day.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spoon daddy posted:

(17 62xx clusters)
Jesus son...

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

spoon daddy posted:

truth that. We needed the oomph of top tier netapps (17 62xx clusters) and had the $$$.

How much did that cost?!

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

feld posted:

How much did that cost?!

More importantly, are you hiring??? I would love to just hold my body against that rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

spoon daddy posted:

(17 62xx clusters)

I wanna work there.