Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

red19fire posted:

It was mentioned in the UFC thread that Nick Diaz trains for triathlons year-round, and that's why he has such good cardio.

Swimming is probably the hardest part of that training, and I was wondering if there are any other modern fighters that use swimming to develop cardio. I remember reading that Ali used to run and box in swimming pools to develop power, but haven't heard of many other fighters doing it; aside from BJ Penn's jump out of the pool video.

Purely from a training standpoint, it seems to be only a win-win situation: virtually no joint impact and incredible for improving overall cardiovascular fitness quickly. The only downsides I can think of for fighters are: potential shoulder issues from poor form, low availability or access to pools, and the time investment it takes to develop good form. And also the hassle of having a pool membership and suiting up/showering off versus the ease of running.

I think Rampage started using it for Cardio or at least, part of his cardio routine for the Bones fight, maybe before and he said it helped.

I know guys who do a lot of swimming as training for soccer and other sports.

I don't know what the best way to train cardio for a fight would be, but I know a lot of guys will do stuff like 6 minute rounds (sometimes extra rounds) with a fresh fighter rotating in each round with a 30 second rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Would a fighter do more interval training than straight endurance stuff like Nick does, or is it a mixture of the two?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Would a fighter do more interval training than straight endurance stuff like Nick does, or is it a mixture of the two?

A mixture. Interval training helps you for the short bursts of energy like grappling scrambles or flurries of strikes, but over the course of a fifteen minute fight or even a five minute round you need to use the aerobic pathways so you need to train straight endurance too, or else you won't recover between flurries or between rounds.

Interval training does result in some initial aerobic improvement as well, but generally you want to do both for a mixed sport like mma.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

BlindSite posted:

I think Rampage started using it for Cardio or at least, part of his cardio routine for the Bones fight, maybe before and he said it helped.

That's right, if I recall correctly it was on one of the primetime shows that he swam in the pool for some of his cardio training because his knees were (are) shot. I remember being angry at how quickly he gassed, at any rate.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Grifter posted:

I still have a file that dokmo provided access to years ago, it basically has fighters, event names, rounds, and win methods. It's somewhat inconsistent but consistent enough that you can pull data from it fairly easily. The problem is that while it starts at UFC 1, it only goes up to 2009. I could copy it into google docs if you don't have it already.

I'd like to take a look at it, at least. Sorry for falling off the face of the earth, my school does half-semesters so right now I'm in the middle of midterms week.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

david carmichael posted:

Yeah, exactly. This is how powerful models are developed. By committee.

it's an algorithm to evaluate an opinion: "who is the better fighter?" or even something like "does _____ have a lovely ground game?"

it's not some sorting algorithm that you can just sit in a dark room and autism about until one day you emerge with a stone tablet that simply says "Shannon Ritch"

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
its not a dark room, its a burrow, and i can have autism about anything. i have documentation to this effect.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Save Russian Jews posted:

one day you emerge with a stone tablet that simply says "Shannon Ritch"

Man, he's got some serious loss streaks

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Haha not only has he never gone to a decision-- he went on a five year streak of first round endings, TWICE. WHAT A WARRIOR get this guy in the ufc.

abortionfailure
Jun 29, 2006

perpetuatin the stereotype
watching people discover the wonder and joy of shannon ritch for the first time is like watching a 4 year old kid's eyes light up when he comes down the stairs on christmas morning

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
Having never seen this Shannon Ritch guy fight, and based solely on his ridiculous record, I like to think he comes out like a froth mouthed berzerker from the opening bell :black101:

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

I'd like to take a look at it, at least. Sorry for falling off the face of the earth, my school does half-semesters so right now I'm in the middle of midterms week.
There you go.

Polemides posted:

Having never seen this Shannon Ritch guy fight, and based solely on his ridiculous record, I like to think he comes out like a froth mouthed berzerker from the opening bell :black101:
He clearly knows BJJ from all his sub wins, but also gets subbed in the first round all the time. :psyduck:

Grifter fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 15, 2012

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

he was in felony fights? hahahaha is all I have to say to that.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I was just sitting here remembering UFC 83 and how mad we all were at Kalib Starnes for running away the whole fight... Why did he do that? I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think his reasoning was something like he had already broken his foot and didn't really want to get injured any further. He was pretty sure he was losing the fight at that point and didn't see a point in taking a risk that could lead to a more severe injury. By not throwing in the towel, it gave him a chance to look for anything stupid Quary might have done and possibly steal an undeserved victory.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DannoMack posted:

I was just sitting here remembering UFC 83 and how mad we all were at Kalib Starnes for running away the whole fight... Why did he do that? I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it.

He made a post on Sherdog that basically just says he couldn't take Quarry down and every time he tried to strike with him he almost got knocked out. Also he broke his foot when Quarry checked a leg kick. In his mind the fight was already hopelessly lost and he could either move backwards or get knocked out.

It makes as much sense as any other explanation I've heard.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
How'd Dana like that?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

gimpsuitjones posted:

How'd Dana like that?

He didn't.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That man is clearly too intelligent to be a cage fighter. May I recommend Guerilla Partisan?

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
He also said that the fight before that last one, his medical bills ended up being higher than what he was paid. So he was not fighting in protest.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Thanks for the info, guys. I feel sympathy for him now at least.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fozzy The Bear posted:

He also said that the fight before that last one, his medical bills ended up being higher than what he was paid. So he was not fighting in protest.

I think this turned out to be bullshit

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I think this turned out to be bullshit

It is bullshit; even before the UFC provided health insurance to its fighters, it always carried event insurance that covered injuries incurred on the event (that's legally required for most states that had an AC and the UFC did it across the board).

I don't remember for sure but I'm pretty sure him having a broken foot turned out to be bullshit too.

Biafraid
Jan 31, 2008

yeah.
Sure didn't hurt his ability to run backwards any.
Also he flipped off Quarry and called him a human being after Quarry did his now classic running-man impression at him, so gently caress Kalib Starnes.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

ForbiddenWonder posted:

he was in felony fights? hahahaha is all I have to say to that.

The best thing about felony fights was when noted gay mixed martial artist and stupid tattoo-haver Shad Smith beat the poo poo out of some mongoloid at a skate park for 50 bucks. Eventually he was like "Woa man, enough is enough," but the kid he was savaging was all like "Cmon bro, is that all you got?" So he beat him a little more then he was all "You people are sick," and walked away while the cameraman called him a pussy. Then they convinced him to keep fighting and he was bouncing the dudes head on the pavement.

This is a true thing that happened.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRn2oX9Jlkg

Kung Fu Fist Fuck fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 17, 2012

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I know there are some guys who want to bring back knees to the head of grounded fighters. What's the reasoning behind that?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
There isnt really a good reason for them to be illegal, and it could make side control and north/south alot more interesting

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I know there are some guys who want to bring back knees to the head of grounded fighters. What's the reasoning behind that?

A lot of PRIDE NEVER DIE whiners seem to think that it would neutralize wrestlers - nowadays if you shoot and fail to get a takedown, you either disengage or scramble for better position. With knees to the head, the defender can scramble your brain with knees.

In reality, it would lead to somebody like GSP actually stopping a lot more people since you can throw knees from side control and north-south without losing your position.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 22, 2012

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dangersim posted:

There isnt really a good reason for them to be illegal, and it could make side control and north/south alot more interesting

this

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dangersim posted:

I'm not certain how much it would actually change things since people would alter their training and styles to deal with the new weapons against those positions, but there being no real reason for it being banned is reason enough to un-ban it, honestly.

Techniques should only be banned if they carry an extremely high, immediate risk of permanent injury. This keeps things like small-joint manipulation, eye gouging, nutpunching, etc out, while letting in knees and kicks to grounded opponents.

Honestly, if something as dicey as a heelhook isn't banned, where you're loving with the knee in a way most other techniques do not, it makes very little sense that we don't allow one more variety of applying concussive force to the head.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'm not certain how much it would actually change things since people would alter their training and styles to deal with the new weapons against those positions

Shinya Aoki got KO'd in Japan by shooting for a lovely double from a million miles away and got stuffed and kneed, and knees to the head have been legal there forever.

I wouldn't count on fighters suddenly learning great defenses for knees in side control or north-south, ESPECIALLY if they're not a wrestler who can create scrambles.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
stomps are the only pride rules thing that should remain banned. add the other stuff and allow 12->6 elbows.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

1st AD posted:

Shinya Aoki got KO'd in Japan by shooting for a lovely double from a million miles away and got stuffed and kneed, and knees to the head have been legal there forever.

If you're talking about against Nagashima, that technique would have been legal in the UFC as well (you can knee a shooting opponent), and that was also brilliant timing. The debate is centered more around kneeing a guy who's really kneeling, or is on his back, etc. Adding knees in that area of the game doesn't change things that much IMO. Rampage used to throw himself in the air to bring down knees from side control and I don't recall it knocking anyone out. It's another way to hit a person, which is already legal on the ground outside this one strange case, and you're also sacrificing your base somewhat in exchange for throwing the strike, so there's plenty of means to defend it be it using the opening to reclaim guard, stand up, or sweep.

I haven't actually thought much about whether stomps should be legalized or not, so I'm not going to express an opinion in that regard, though my gut reacts very negatively to the idea of headstomps for some reason.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Wanderlei even said that he thinks stomps and soccer kicks are too much and should remained banned, but knees should be allowed

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

If you're talking about against Nagashima, that technique would have been legal in the UFC as well (you can knee a shooting opponent)

No I mean against Mach. Sakurai EASILY sprawled on him and while Aoki was dumbly trying to get hold of a single he got KO'd.

Point being that dominant positions like side control will continue to be dominant, except with ground knees you can more easily finish a fight there.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 22, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Stomps and soccer kicks shouldnt really be legal because the only time you ever see someone land them is when a guy is getting beaten so badly that the fight should be stopped anyway, and especially since the refs are so lovely at stepping in there would be a lot of knocked out dudes getting their heads stomped

fawker
Feb 1, 2008

ARMBAR!
Knees to a grounded opponent need to be brought back because Mark Coleman used it to win the GP way back when. Just see how much happiness it brings him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpegokRf1Y&t=40s

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
it's important that butt scooting be neutralized so please legalize stomps and soccer kicks.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

because its really cool to see a guy get kneed in the skull and/or face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

1st AD posted:

No I mean against Mach. Sakurai EASILY sprawled on him and while Aoki was dumbly trying to get hold of a single he got KO'd.

as the fight is only about 30 seconds long, you should rewatch it, because this isn't how it happened and the truth is in fact much more heroic and satisfying