Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I made a pot of this, this morning! I was surprised to find that I think I actually over-roasted these beans. I'm always scared that I'm going to underroast them and SNIP!
seconds earlier. Last time, I pulled them about 15 seconds into the start of the second crack.

What I do with new beans is to pull a bean or two and chew on it with a sip of water,so I can taste it on-the-fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

flacoman954 posted:

What I do with new beans is to pull a bean or two and chew on it with a sip of water,so I can taste it on-the-fly.

Will that give an accurate representation of what it'll taste like when brewed?

Also, do I need to learn how to "cup" my beans? It seems overly complicated :saddowns:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

If you finish first crack it is safe to say, they will not be under roasted.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
And 15 seconds into second crack is a pretty dark roast. At that stage you've pretty much lost all of the bean characteristics.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So my girlfriend bought me an Aeropress. I don't have a grinder though, so I went to Philz Coffee in SF and bought some beans from there and had them ground in the store. I'm currently on my second cup of coffee today.

QUestions:

I bought the Kyrocera Hand Grinder. That being said, is my bag of pre-ground beans ruined because they were ground at the store? Should I just finish off the bag and then go about buying unground bags moving forward?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I bought the Kyrocera Hand Grinder. That being said, is my bag of pre-ground beans ruined because they were ground at the store? Should I just finish off the bag and then go about buying unground bags moving forward?

Yes.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So after stalking this thread I went out and visited Intelligentsia for the first time and had a shegole Ethiopian coffee. It was fun to see several Hario's running on their counter after seeing them in the op. The coffee was the first cup I'd ever enjoyed black, and it was pretty drat flavorful. Still a little bitter so I put in one packet of sugar to take off the edge and then it was perfect. Wow. My whole life I'd always been pouring in cream and sugar in an attempt to turn it into hot chocolate.

I've ordered a Hario and a CCD from Amazon, time to jump in.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I'm finally figuring out how to brew good coffee. Turns out I was confusing sourness for bitterness, so I thought I was overextracting and would in turn grind coarser. I should have been grinding finer. Anyway, time to buy some higher grade coffee to celebrate, perhaps the Benjamin Miranda from Coava if it's in store.

Storage question: Is it OK to store coffee in the bag it comes in if I seal it well and press out the air while sealing it? I've been looking for air-tight containers in local stores, but so far I've only found this, which seems overkill. I'd rather go for a cheaper option if it works.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Ziplock baggies are plenty airtight, if you've got those laying around the house. If not, I haven't really noticed much of difference between Ziplock and just using the bag it came in.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

Gravity Pike posted:

Ziplock baggies are plenty airtight, if you've got those laying around the house. If not, I haven't really noticed much of difference between Ziplock and just using the bag it came in.
Yeah, judging by smell I haven't seen anything bad about using the bags they came in, even if it didn't have a one-way valve.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

that Vai sound posted:

I'm finally figuring out how to brew good coffee. Turns out I was confusing sourness for bitterness, so I thought I was overextracting and would in turn grind coarser. I should have been grinding finer. Anyway, time to buy some higher grade coffee to celebrate, perhaps the Benjamin Miranda from Coava if it's in store.

Storage question: Is it OK to store coffee in the bag it comes in if I seal it well and press out the air while sealing it? I've been looking for air-tight containers in local stores, but so far I've only found this, which seems overkill. I'd rather go for a cheaper option if it works.

Does it have a 1-way valve? If so, it is fine. I keep my coffee in the bag in a tupperware container in a dark place

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Gravity Pike posted:

I don't know about overkill, but I got one of these as a gift and it works really well. It also works great for tea! :monocle:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Any recommendations for a grind and brew (drip) automatic?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bobx66 posted:

Any recommendations for a grind and brew (drip) automatic?

Yeah, don't get one.

get a Baratza Maestro Plus refurbished and a Bonavita BV1800

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, don't get one.

get a Baratza Maestro Plus refurbished and a Bonavita BV1800

How do you recommend I attach the two devices together and add a timer?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Set an alarm, get up, and make it.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Uugh, they've been out of Refurb Maestro Plus's every time I've checked for the past three months. It'd totally be worth the $50 to me if I could pay that now and get it three months ago, but I keep on thinking, "Nah, they'll get more in soon, you can wait another week to save $50."

Gambler's fallacy, maybe?

Edit: The tinkerer in me wants to build a good automated coffee maker. I've got the electronics background for it. Hook a burr grinder, heating element, thermometer, and a couple of stepper motors up to a micro-controller, *beep*boop* good coffee, zero effort. I just can't figure out what brewing method would work with that. Getting the lid/plunger on a press is too hard, a clever might work, but it'd need to be pre-loaded with a filter...

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 9, 2012

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
It would certainly be nice if the web store gave a clearer indication of when the refurbs are out of stock. I am surprised they've been unavailable for so long, though. Maybe you're just getting unlucky?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gravity Pike posted:

Uugh, they've been out of Refurb Maestro Plus's every time I've checked for the past three months. It'd totally be worth the $50 to me if I could pay that now and get it three months ago, but I keep on thinking, "Nah, they'll get more in soon, you can wait another week to save $50."

Gambler's fallacy, maybe?

Edit: The tinkerer in me wants to build a good automated coffee maker. I've got the electronics background for it. Hook a burr grinder, heating element, thermometer, and a couple of stepper motors up to a micro-controller, *beep*boop* good coffee, zero effort. I just can't figure out what brewing method would work with that. Getting the lid/plunger on a press is too hard, a clever might work, but it'd need to be pre-loaded with a filter...
Well, I sent back a broken one a few weeks ago, so there should be at least one pretty soon? :)

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

Looks like they recently added some Maestro Plus refurbs, I was just able to add one to my cart - https://www.baratzallc.com/products-page/products/maestro-plus/

Too bad I'm a bit strapped for cash right now else this would be on it's way to me.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Hurry up, Gravity Pike!

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

llibja posted:

Looks like they recently added some Maestro Plus refurbs, I was just able to add one to my cart - https://www.baratzallc.com/products-page/products/maestro-plus/

Too bad I'm a bit strapped for cash right now else this would be on it's way to me.

Already gone. It was probably just nm's grinder. :)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I had the same problem getting a Maestro Plus a few weeks back. I gave them a call and asked nicely and they made me one. :)

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Got one! Thanks for looking out for me, guys. :shobon:

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Got one! Thanks for looking out for me, guys. :shobon:

:):hf::)

Glad you were able to snag one.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I tried some coffee from Mexico today for the first time, and even though it wasn't a great machine brew, I could taste milk chocolate. I'll have to visit that region again.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
What's the process of taking fresh roasted coffee (less than 1 day) and making it drinkable? There will be a bunch of bloom, but are there extra steps?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
You could try grinding it a little early to give it some time to outgas. That works okay for espresso, anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

So, wow. Thanks to this thread I discovered that black coffee can actually be good, and that I can make great coffee at home for pretty cheap.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 15, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Can I brew several cups in a pourover, and then stick it in the fridge for the rest of the week? Does it keep well?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Steve Yun posted:

Can I brew several cups in a pourover, and then stick it in the fridge for the rest of the week? Does it keep well?

Depends on what you want to use it for. I don't like to reheat coffee that's already been brewed, as it seems to lose too much in the reheating. If you want to use it for iced coffee, or other cold coffee beverages, yeah, it keeps very well. But if that's the case, you might want to consider cold brewing, which consists of merely tossing grounds in with cold water, and letting it sit in your fridge overnight. Filter, and you're done.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've been getting into the coffee craze first with the AeroPress and now the CCD. I was wondering if there were any large differences between filters for the CCD? I can only find the following brands online: Filtropa, Rockline and the ubiquitous grocery store Melitta #4 filters.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Get something white. Make sure you pre-wet.

I use the filteropia ones.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
I've been wondering about the differences in filters for pour-overs too. I currently use a filter made of ripstop nylon, but am open to changing it up.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

nm posted:

Get something white. Make sure you pre-wet.

I use the filteropia ones.

Wait, you want the "bleached" (that's what they're labeled as) filters and you want to moisten them before you put the grinds into them? Is this the same for a regular drip machine as well?

Also, holy poo poo was the $30 infrared thermometer the best purchase I've made recently. Roasted a batch of Brazil Santos and some Nicaraguan this past weekend and brought a thermos of one each day to work. The coffee tastes incredible, isn't burnt and doesn't taste like dirt water. I got the temperature to 445-446f.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Feb 15, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Has anyone tried out this kettle for using with pour overs? http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV3825B-1-Liter-Electric-Kettle/dp/B005YR0GDA/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 it seems to have the same spout style that makes the buono so great, but you're not paying $50 for a non-electric, thin-sided kettle.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

Wait, you want the "bleached" (that's what they're labeled as) filters and you want to moisten them before you put the grinds into them? Is this the same for a regular drip machine as well?

Pre-wetting a filter does two things, it warms up the housing that holds the filter so it's not cooling down the water as much and the more important thing is that it's giving the filter the shape of the filter housing. If you put a dry filter in and just start pouring water onto the grounds, the filter can buckle and bend in ways that aren't good. I find this actually happens even more in traditional drip machines. Even if you're not using hot water, just dampening the filter a bit to make sure the sides are fitted to it is a good idea.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Has anyone tried out this kettle for using with pour overs? http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV3825B-1-Liter-Electric-Kettle/dp/B005YR0GDA/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 it seems to have the same spout style that makes the buono so great, but you're not paying $50 for a non-electric, thin-sided kettle.

Amazon reviews look good. Get one and let us know how it is!

I've got a Buono at home but one of these would be nice to have in the office.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

rockcity posted:

Pre-wetting a filter does two things, it warms up the housing that holds the filter so it's not cooling down the water as much and the more important thing is that it's giving the filter the shape of the filter housing. If you put a dry filter in and just start pouring water onto the grounds, the filter can buckle and bend in ways that aren't good. I find this actually happens even more in traditional drip machines. Even if you're not using hot water, just dampening the filter a bit to make sure the sides are fitted to it is a good idea.

prewetting also rinses some of the loose paper dust off of the filter reducing filter taste. I usually fold over the edges (melitta filters), fill the filter, dump the water, then fill again and dump. I have a low effort gray water system (read: I have a few buckets) for my coffee/tea excess water so it's not that big of a deal for me to use that much water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Okay, so in my newbie testing...

My hario coffee came out a little thinner and a little harsher than in the CCD. I have a blade grinder and I could see that there was a mix of coarse bits and fine powder. I'm guessing the CCD is a lot more forgiving of sloppy grinds. Yes/no?

At any rate, time to buy a burr grinder...