Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

I don't consider this a bad thing. The only measurement translation I've had an issue with was in the 52 Stations of the Tokaido episode, when the term li got translated as miles. A li is about half a kilometer, so calling it a mile is pretty significant difference. It was largely incidental in 52 Stations, so not a huge complaint. I consider it sillier in the Three Kingdoms subs I'm watching, where they discuss military camps spread over 700 li but just say 700 miles instead. It gets kind of ridiculous at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Hokuto posted:

I don't consider this a bad thing. The only measurement translation I've had an issue with was in the 52 Stations of the Tokaido episode, when the term li got translated as miles. A li is about half a kilometer, so calling it a mile is pretty significant difference. It was largely incidental in 52 Stations, so not a huge complaint. I consider it sillier in the Three Kingdoms subs I'm watching, where they discuss military camps spread over 700 li but just say 700 miles instead. It gets kind of ridiculous at that point.

Yeah, the Li -> Mile thing really had nothing to do with how far it actually was, but the fact that pretty much nobody has even heard of a Li or knows that its a unit of measurement.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
That part's fine, really. What gets me isn't translating li as miles, but doing that while not converting the actual numeric values when they are somewhat important, like in the Three Kingdoms example I cited. In the 52 Stations episode, it was minor enough to be incidental and not really matter in terms of breaking immersion or anything, and it was actually somewhat necessary when considering the numbers shown on the game screen itself. It's just something I thought was worth mentioning while the subject was brought up.

In general, I support maintaining in-show measurement units unless a client specifies otherwise or there's a real chance viewers won't know what something is.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Lock posted:

That said, I believe it was in the wrestling match, metric and standard were mixed... I think height was given in feet and inches, but weight in kilos? I forget exactly, but it threw me for a minute.

Oh, that's right. I converted their heights to feet and inches because I'm pretty sure most English-speaking countries are more used to measuring people's heights in that instead of cm, and the cm measurement is already shown on-screen there by the show.

Hokuto posted:

I don't consider this a bad thing. The only measurement translation I've had an issue with was in the 52 Stations of the Tokaido episode, when the term li got translated as miles. A li is about half a kilometer, so calling it a mile is pretty significant difference. It was largely incidental in 52 Stations, so not a huge complaint.

Like Gutcruncher said, I only translated li to miles because a li is not commonly known and we like to avoid translator's notes as much as possible. Actually, 53 Stations was my very first translation job for SA GCCX, and I had translated half the episode already before I joined. In my original translation I used "Ten lis? Eight lis?" then put a note saying "one li = half a kilometer." That's because back when I used to translate GCCX by myself using Overstream.net, I didn't localize a lot of things. I kept in honorifics and didn't translate kachou, I think. Basically I was translating more for Japanese culture enthusiasts.

Gutcruncher timed and edited that one, and I can't remember if he changed li to miles or if that was my decision. Either way, despite the difference between measurements, in the end I decided it didn't matter. If we converted the measurement to miles, it would've been "Four miles? Three miles?" I suppose... but I didn't want to change the numbers. All the information that needs to be conveyed is that Kantaro is going very far and is wondering how many more X he has left to go, whether it be lis, miles or kilometers. It would only get ridiculous if it was translated to something extremely short like yards or meters, because that would ruin the meaning.

I'd also like to point out that in the Sunsoft remix album, there's a slow version of "Love Song for Momoko" (which I uploaded here) and they translated it to English as "Ten miles? Eight miles?" too. I was amused by that.

/end derail. The upcoming live birthday challenge was in slight danger of being postponed due to Arino getting the flu, but I asked Producer Kan about it last night and he said Arino is okay now. The challenge is going to as planned. I'm getting pretty excited for it and you'll all see why once you see it.

How many more days until the live show? Ten days?! Eight days?!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 14, 2012

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good
I'm American and I only remember 3 Celsius temperatures that help me gauge stuff - Freezing is 0, room temperature is 23-24 and body temperature is 37.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

zari-gani posted:

Like Gutcruncher said, I only translated li to miles because a li is not commonly known and we like to avoid translator's notes as much as possible. Actually, 53 Stations was my very first translation job for SA GCCX, and I had translated half the episode already before I joined. In my original translation I used "Ten lis? Eight lis?" then put a note saying "one li = half a kilometer." That's because back when I used to translate GCCX by myself using Overstream.net, I didn't localize a lot of things. I kept in honorifics and didn't translate kachou, I think. Basically I was translating more for Japanese culture enthusiasts.

Gutcruncher timed and edited that one, and I can't remember if he changed li to miles or if that was my decision.

That first half you translated actually had a lot of translator notes, and even had two whole sets of lyrics for the song with a little *use whichever you want*. I ended up actually doing a combination of the two, since there were parts in one translation that I liked more than parts in the other.

I just remembered that the .txt file that website gave me for your subs was literally just ONE HUGE WALL OF TEXT. That was a lot of fun to figure out!

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010

zari-gani posted:

I have decided that Nakayama is my new favourite AD. I'm sorry, Inoue. Maybe if you had won that wrestling match.

I don't know if I have a favorite AD. I love love love Kibe though. :swoon:

Per the wrestling match, not experiencing the full backstory or hate Inoku MAX got, other than that fax calling him a bastard, if I was him, I would have played up the heel angle and worn a Team No Respect t-shirt or something. Really hammed it up like in pro wrestling during the promo. And then yeah, get beat in the wrestling match, and hammed it up some more. Have fun with it!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Gutcruncher posted:

That first half you translated actually had a lot of translator notes, and even had two whole sets of lyrics for the song with a little *use whichever you want*. I ended up actually doing a combination of the two, since there were parts in one translation that I liked more than parts in the other.

I just remembered that the .txt file that website gave me for your subs was literally just ONE HUGE WALL OF TEXT. That was a lot of fun to figure out!

I was actually hoping you'd use either one version of the other. Version A was the more accurate translation, whereas Version B had slight liberties taken with them but was written in a way so the song could be sung in English and match the music.

Gutcruncher posted:

That's weird -- they should've been cut into separate lines at least. That's how it looked when I viewed the file.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jimmy Colorado posted:

I don't know if I have a favorite AD. I love love love Kibe though. :swoon:

Per the wrestling match, not experiencing the full backstory or hate Inoku MAX got, other than that fax calling him a bastard, if I was him, I would have played up the heel angle and worn a Team No Respect t-shirt or something. Really hammed it up like in pro wrestling during the promo. And then yeah, get beat in the wrestling match, and hammed it up some more. Have fun with it!

Based purely on stereotypes rather than any direct knowledge of Japanese pro-wrestling, I wonder if taking ~80 seconds to quietly say "I just have to win" down by the riverside might be their equivalent of grabbing the mike and yelling that they're gonna shove their opponent's fractured skull up his rear end.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

But are those metric or imperial days? I really wish you'd give us more notes.

Personally, Celsius to Fahrenheit never gave me much of an issue, but I'm one of those weird guys who can multiply a number by 9/5 then add 32 in his head. This does not make me as popular at parties as you might expect.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

softcorps posted:

All I'll say is that translation is one of those things that people who haven't done it (well) won't quite fully understand, and those that have done it will froth at the mouth about mostly-insignificant details with each other, having completely lost perspective.

Hell, those that don't do it will froth at the mouth...

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Son Ryo posted:

Of course, I also feel like if you have to localize the names of the games and the characters you should translate the measurements too, to be consistent, but it doesn't matter that much.

This and that are different though. Talk about inches and centimeters/miles and kilometers and you won't get blank stares. But try talking to someone about Makaimura and Akumajo Dracula and Noko-Nokos... As for the stuff that hasn't been localized already, I think "Hokkaido Serial Murders" gives a better idea of what the game is about than "Hokkaido Rensatsu Satsujin Jiken."

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 14, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I think it's time to talk torrents since our direct download options are just giving headaches after headaches. Right now these are only my thoughts on how it should work; I'm open to suggestions.

First, I think that the torrents should be broken down by season. Putting everything in one giant torrent may look more convenient but an "80 GB" download would scare off people. A text file can be used in place of episodes that have been licensed. For the SA Team this would mean that seasons four, six, and nine are complete and ready to go.

As for the rest I think the videos should be done on a per episode basis (with the occasional two parter getting one torrent). They can eventually be merged together when the season is finished.

Also the veil has gone up again so... Welcome, new posters!

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
I think you've hit it on the head, Random Stranger.

Setting up Full Season torrents would work wonders for if someone is looking for a particular Corner or a specific AD.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
zari-gani, (or anyone planning on watching the live challenge for that matter) is there any chance we could get the fax number for the live challenge while it is going on? I'm sure some of us here would like to send Arino some faxes of encouragement from abroad, even if we can't directly see the action.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
Don't forget that you can selectively choose which parts of torrent files you do download. So if you put a list of each seasons episodes on the torrent info there's always that option for people looking for specific episodes while keeping it to a seasonal format.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

As far as I'm aware there's no way to see the live challenge streamed online, so I can't see it until someone in Japan makes it available for download or streaming after the fact. But I do think we should try and get the fax number to send messages.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Champignon posted:

zari-gani, (or anyone planning on watching the live challenge for that matter) is there any chance we could get the fax number for the live challenge while it is going on? I'm sure some of us here would like to send Arino some faxes of encouragement from abroad, even if we can't directly see the action.

Even if we can't watch it live we're hoping that the fax number will get reposted all over the place when the show is on. If we keep our eyes on the appropriate places then it will appear, it can be posted to this thread, and then we can all send our faxes.

FWIW, https://faxzero.com/sendfax/Japan can send a fax created from a DOC file for $3.63. There may be better options out there though.

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.

softcorps posted:

Just noticed Primoman has a GCCX avatar and caption. That's... dedication?

All the cool kids have GCCX related avatars :colbert:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

That's right. I'm halfway to being cool. Just wait 'til someone gets a GCCX related avatar, caption AND username.

I'm late to comment on the 24-hour Lemmings documentary but I love that little laugh Arino gives right before saying "Too late!" when he has cooling pads stuck all over his face. It's a little maniacal.

For those wondering what Arino was referring to when he said "They look like Issei Fuubi Sepia!" when three Lemmings in a row were digging down together, I give you a blast from the 80's past: Issei Fuubi Sepia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNsl6oRYSSU

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 15, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Random Stranger posted:

First, I think that the torrents should be broken down by season. Putting everything in one giant torrent may look more convenient but an "80 GB" download would scare off people. A text file can be used in place of episodes that have been licensed. For the SA Team this would mean that seasons four, six, and nine are complete and ready to go.

I dont think this would scare anyone off. Youve been able to pick and choose what files you can download out of a torrent for years now. Maybe store everything in seasonal folders just to keep everything tidy, and you can update the master torrent with new files as needed.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Awesomonster posted:

All the cool kids have GCCX related avatars :colbert:

I'm not cool. :sigh:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I'm with the all episodes in one torrent crowd. You can name the episodes to clearly state which season they're from so if you want a specific season it'll be easy to grab just that. You can even have them in season separated folders if you think it's necessary. It's a lot easier to download compared to opening a hundred torrents for separate episodes and also easier to seed.

Regarding ADs I'll go with Urakawa as my favorite. I guess I respect his gaming skills.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Is there a karaoke version of Last Continue available anywhere? I know it's available to sing at karaoke places in Japan, but I've been looking for a version without the singing just for personal use.

Did you know AD Watanabe and AD Ito were the backup singers? Kinda sucks they got no recognition for it.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 15, 2012

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

zari-gani posted:

This and that are different though. Talk about inches and centimeters/miles and kilometers and you won't get blank stares. But try talking to someone about Makaimura and Akumajo Dracula and Noko-Nokos... As for the stuff that hasn't been localized already, I think "Hokkaido Serial Murders" gives a better idea of what the game is about than "Hokkaido Rensatsu Satsujin Jiken."

Translation and localization are different-- this isn't TV Nihon, nobody's asking you to leave stuff in Japanese, but--

Wait, I've been down this road before and the conversation afterwards wasn't very pretty. I'll shut up now.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

I'm not cool. :sigh:

You're the exception that proves the rule.
I am well aware of my not cool status.

I have been really busy but now I have so much Game Center to catch up on, I am not sure where I am ever going to find enough time. Thanks again, SA Team. You're all heroes.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
To be honest, I'd rather just get individual episode torrents. I want to get the newest episode, seed it, and then be done with it. Nothing would be more annoying than seeing just 1 file and having to constantly go in every time I re-download it and say "don't download" to 99% of the torrent(and yes I'm aware this is just a minor inconvenience but it's the principle of it to me). I think what we have right now works and putting stuff into seasons when it's completed would mainly be for the convenience of new fans.

And my naming scheme is different than what is used here so once I finish seeding, the file gets renamed and put on my external so I'm not going to be seeding some huge 80-100+GB file forever. If you're the type with the space and bandwidth to seed a file like that then it really shouldn't be a big deal to seed individual episodes(or seasons) since we just started and there's only like what, 5 torrents?

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 15, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Here's a reaction image for no real reason:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Meme Emulator posted:

I dont think this would scare anyone off. Youve been able to pick and choose what files you can download out of a torrent for years now. Maybe store everything in seasonal folders just to keep everything tidy, and you can update the master torrent with new files as needed.

You and I know about that. But remember, you got a lot of people out there.

Remember, one giant torrent would be incredibly inundating to a lot of people. Not only would they see a huge file for their Arino goodness, but that would also be a ton of episodes. They wouldn't know exactly where to start. Where as if we split it up in a sort of logical way, they could say "I'm more interested in these episodes, so I'll download them now and check out the other stuff."

Honestly, I can't think of anyone who wouldn't download the series because they had to click on multiple links, but I can think of a lot of people who would say "Wow... that's an 80 gig file!"

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Season downloads are a wayy better solution to shows that have as many episodes and seasons as GCCX does. More so because it's unevenly translated, it'll be easier to keep track of completed seasons if they're separated.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Season packages would probably be the best bet. It allows the finished season torrents to stabilize, while keeping the total number of torrents low enough to seed. It'd be unfeasible to efficiently seed all of the individual episodes separately, due to tcp congestion issues.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So I've had a question mulling around in my head for the past little while. What's the music playing in the background at this point in the Lemmings documentary? If anyone could find it on its own, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Considering you can pick and choose files out of the torrents, season files would be pretty nice. Of course, individual episode torrents also seem to be working pretty well. I'm just happy we're moving to torrents because the last few direct download places are just awful.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

StoryTime posted:

Season packages would probably be the best bet. It allows the finished season torrents to stabilize, while keeping the total number of torrents low enough to seed. It'd be unfeasible to efficiently seed all of the individual episodes separately, due to tcp congestion issues.

Nthing this suggestion. The previous thread had "goon seasons" and I had all my files organized based on those. I'm such a nerd.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
Wow. I can't believe I created such a derail with one question. :sweatdrop: I suppose I should've known better than to question it but for some reason, it didn't occur to me (even though I know) that Zari being Canadian or that not everyone watching is American, would make it obvious it probably wouldn't need to be translated for most people. I just simply thought... "32C and.. it's... hot...? I guess...? I wonder why they left it like that..." Sorry for asking... :(

Snot Man posted:

So you like him a normal amount, then?

Yes. A normal amount. :v:

Crotch Bat posted:

The yen is worth more now(~1.3 cents) but I find a 1:1 scale(1 yen = 1 penny) to come somewhat close to representing actual value for the purposes of watching a show. So 100 yen = 1 dollar, 1000 yen = 10 dollars, 10000 yen = 100 dollars and so on.

Yup, that's pretty much what I've always done for a rough estimate, just shove the decimal point two places to the left and add a dollar sign! Not accurate but close enough.

zari-gani posted:

The upcoming live birthday challenge was in slight danger of being postponed due to Arino getting the flu, but I asked Producer Kan about it last night and he said Arino is okay now. The challenge is going to as planned. I'm getting pretty excited for it and you'll all see why once you see it.

... Are you trying to subtly tell us he's going to finish the 53 Stations of Tokaido?! :eek:

I hope someone will stream it like they did with the New Year's Eve Special a while back. I will GLADLY get up super early to watch Arino LIVE! :xd: I also hope there's a way for us to fax him too! With the internet, there has to be a way to do it where you don't even need a scanner and can send things drawn in Photoshop directly. I hope so! Arino's team will be surprised to get messages from us Gaijin! :xd:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Does anyone happen to have an alternative for getting the Flashback episode? Multiupload doesn't seem to be working.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

When it comes to seeding though, it makes way more sense to have a singular torrent, all the people can leech off of a common source and it keeps you from having to beg for seeders on Season 4.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
What's the song that plays before Nakayama steps in the ring? Sounds like boss music from some game.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

Meme Emulator posted:

When it comes to seeding though, it makes way more sense to have a singular torrent, all the people can leech off of a common source and it keeps you from having to beg for seeders on Season 4.

I agree. You end up splitting any willing seeders between a variety of sources, slowing the whole system down.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
There's no way that people are ever going to come to consensus on how to torrent the back episodes. There have been 30 or more posts on the subject, each one with a different configuration.

Whoever is going to do it should just do it however they want to and everyone else can live with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

xamphear posted:

There's no way that people are ever going to come to consensus on how to torrent the back episodes. There have been 30 or more posts on the subject, each one with a different configuration.

Whoever is going to do it should just do it however they want to and everyone else can live with it.

Really? Looks like just about everyone is cool with torrents in season packages. Only a couple don't like the idea that a large torrent seems daunting, and the guy who's most vocal against having to selectively download 1 file from a larger package says that it's just "the principle of it" that annoys him.

It really would make things easier for seeders, that's for sure. And more seeds benefits everyone. Plus I know that whenever I go to download a bunch of episodes of something from a torrent, I vastly prefer to have one torrent with a bunch of files instead of like 20 torrents cluttering up my client window.