Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Do you really need to ask that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just look at the Penn State incident

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This begs the question: Did any Pittsbuirgh sports beat guys try to defend Big Ben after the allegations?

Yes including Chris Mueller who was one of the only ones to speak out against Penn State's handling of the sandusky business.

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

leokitty posted:

When I was flying back from Pittsburgh they had a statue of Franco Harris next to a statue of George Washington in the terminal. That sums up the way the city feels about the Steelers, I think.
But when George Washington took the Oath of Office it hadn't already bounced off another president-elect... :confused:

Moose Bigelow posted:

Yes including Chris Mueller who was one of the only ones to speak out against Penn State's handling of the sandusky business.
Can you post that? I wound up chatting with that guy on Twitter, and he seems really disdainful of the mental gymnastics a lot of fans seem to go through with being Steelers boosters but somehow not backing Roethlisberger. Maybe his impatience comes from having gone through that himself, I dunno, but it's interesting to hear that at one point he was firmly in Roethlisberger's corner.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Holocausplay posted:

But when George Washington took the Oath of Office it hadn't already bounced off another president-elect... :confused:

It's wartime Washington. Also, in case you didn't know, the Harris statue is actually an action shot of the Immaculate Reception. I love that statue, it's one of the easiest ways to sum up any city with a single image.

As for Roethlisberger, a whole lot of people--myself included--defended him from an innocent-until-proven-guilty stance at the outset, especially in light of the previous allegation which had legitimately seemed like a crazy woman. Some proportion of those, again including me, have since had it proven to our satisfaction that Ben is a scumbag rapist. So that could conceivably also describe Mueller.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Josh Hamilton has had his substance abuse problems, sure. But what if he met Whitney Houston? DOCTOR Patrick Rishe, Ph.D. explains in Forbes

Choice quotes, emphasis mine:

quote:

It will remind Mr. Hamilton that his 2010 MVP award and back-to-back appearances in the World Series won’t save him from weak moments in the future that could – in the extreme – cause irreporable harm to himself and others.

quote:

I applaud the Texas Rangers for making a “Bodyguard” investment in an effort to increase the likelihood that one of their prized assets has every chance to maximize his productive potential.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

If any of you are keeping track at home, Jason Whitlock has come around to offer some kind of apology-like thing after Tweeting the following about Jeremy Lin after he dropped 38 on the Lakers last Friday:

Jason Whitlock posted:

Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

SporkOfTruth posted:

Josh Hamilton has had his substance abuse problems, sure. But what if he met Whitney Houston? DOCTOR Patrick Rishe, Ph.D. explains in Forbes

Choice quotes, emphasis mine:

An economics professor who couches addiction in terms of rational actor theory, thereby demonstrating his complete lack of understanding of real people in the real world. Never thought I'd see the day.

e: Oh, I didn't notice it was in Forbes. No wonder.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

If any of you are keeping track at home, Jason Whitlock has come around to offer some kind of apology-like thing after Tweeting the following about Jeremy Lin after he dropped 38 on the Lakers last Friday:

My favorite sportswriter twitter moment of the weekend was Buzz Bissenger flipping out over Jeremy Lin and saying that jews run the world.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I'm a fan of a local sports radio producer getting fired for drunk tweeting

quote:

Bacsik, 32, said he was "drunk at a bar" Sunday night as he watched the Mavericks lose Game 4 of their NBA playoff series to San Antonio. He began sending disparaging tweets that included "Congrats to all the dirty mexicans in San Antonio" and "If I get cancer and I'm going to die I wil blow NBA offices."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I'm a fan of a local sports radio producer getting fired for drunk tweeting

Isn't that the dude that gave up 756 to Barry Bonds?

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
Sure is

dont use twitter yall

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

barkingclam posted:

My favorite sportswriter twitter moment of the weekend was Buzz Bissenger flipping out over Jeremy Lin and saying that jews run the world.

Link/screenshot please

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

barkingclam posted:

I thought Bissenger was Jewish?

edit: Yes, he is.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 14, 2012

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

zakharov posted:

Link/screenshot please

He said it here and a few other times, too.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

leokitty posted:

When I was flying back from Pittsburgh they had a statue of Franco Harris next to a statue of George Washington in the terminal. That sums up the way the city feels about the Steelers, I think.

The side of the Heinz Regional History Museum has three pictures:

1) George Washington at the Forks the Ohio
2) A steel mill
3) Franco Harris

That's all you need to know to get the full Pittsburgh experience.

Maybe put a sandwich with fries and an egg and coleslaw on it in Washington's hand.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

barkingclam posted:

What a moron.

:ughh:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Sure is

dont use twitter yall

Use twitter literally all of the time

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

stuart scott irl posted:

Use twitter literally all of the time

saying "don't use twitter" in reference to that is akin to what's his name's hatred for Blogs

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
Murray Chass. The man you are looking for is Murray Chass, noted blogger.

If you haven't read that page, you should. It is hilarious.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Medical Sword posted:

saying "don't use twitter" in reference to that is akin to what's his name's hatred for Blogs

Murray Chass.

I think that statement is ok if you add some modifiers.

Don't use twitter when you're drunk and just got dumped yall.

Don't use twitter when you're racist yall.

etc

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

barkingclam posted:

Remember when Bissinger ripped Will Leitch on that Bob Costas show for how online journalism sites and blogs behaved? Guess he learned that he enjoyed being an rear end in a top hat on the internet in the mean time! (Seriously, read his tweet log.)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Badfinger posted:

Murray Chass.

etc

more like replace any reference to twitter w/ "dont be a shithead"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Badfinger posted:

Murray Chass.

etc

It's okay to use twitter when you just got dumped, we will send you HugNotes. SAS good vibes twitcrew represent. :3:

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Has anyone linked to this high class sports journalism?

http://deadspin.com/5884764/the-mlb-scout-and-his-sex-slave-a-baseball-love-story

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Its Miller Time posted:

Has anyone linked to this high class sports journalism?

http://deadspin.com/5884764/the-mlb-scout-and-his-sex-slave-a-baseball-love-story

Pretty cool how they censor all the names and then leave the dude's initials in one of the e-mails.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Badfinger posted:

This is actually the best time for people to use twitter

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

leokitty posted:

This is true, it's led to the best Jose Canseco tweets.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

dog poop n doritos posted:

This is true, it's led to the best Jose Canseco tweets.

Bats

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bats

Jesus christ how did I forget about bats

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

leokitty posted:

Not US though.

Everyone else.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Rick Reilly really is terrible.
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7574087/overlooking-jeremy-lin

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

calcio posted:

Rick Reilly really is terrible.
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7574087/overlooking-jeremy-lin

quote:

Lin had a lower interest rate than CDs. He went unoffered coming out of high school and undrafted out of Harvard. Now the kid is Lin-fuego.

How could so many be so blind? How could they not see a Tiffany diamond at Goodwill prices? What was he? Linvisible?

Across the bay lies Cal, where Lin desperately wanted to play. But Bears coach Ben Braun was Lindifferent. He passed.

Holy poo poo are these bad.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

And remember folks: That guy is a multi-millionaire!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
At least Reilly laid off on the dental jokes this time!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

barkingclam posted:

At least Reilly laid off on the dental jokes this time!

What a coLincidence! I guess Reilly was just maiLin' it in!

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
I love Sam Miller. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16041

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

This is amazing.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I remember watching that game. I was at my aunt's house for some reason, I think it might have been someone's birthday?

It was pretty awesome for me because I'm almost certain you could count the number of games where the Giants scored double-digit runs on one hand.

also seriously how do you give up a grand slam to Miguel Tejada in 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

That's a good article. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

quote:

We reach the point in the game when the TV production crew realizes that there are more than three innings left and nothing interesting can happen. Which is a scary feeling. Sometimes you get that feeling on Friday afternoon at 2:20 where you know you’re not going to get any more work done until the weekend, and you have to kill two hours and 40 minutes without getting busted. And sometimes you get that same feeling on Tuesday morning at 10:15 and you have to kill three days, six hours, and 45 minutes without getting busted. So things get weird.

This is a very resonant part of that article.