Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Ha, love the bug complaint someone sent Jeb about a stack of redstone inverters from bedrock to the new world height ground their FPS to a halt, what did you expect would happen with some odd 250 redstone torches alternating states.

Also, where are people coming up with Jeb removing the air block, I must have missed that, all I see is references to increasing block ID number and adding an additional blocks of air to the game to increase world height. Nothing about removing air blocks and mucking with redstone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
New snapshot everybody:

Mojang posted:

Here’s the development snapshot of week 7, 2012! List of changes:
  • Added new world file format called “Anvil” (256 max height and 4096 block IDs*)
  • Multi-player light calculations do no longer cause affected blocks to be transmitted to the clients, instead the clients will recalculate the light on their own
  • Villagers will repopulate villages based on how many houses there are available
  • Some nights in villages will be worse than others…
  • Added a redstone-controlled light source
  • Decreased chance for the rare mob drops
  • All animals use the new AI system now

Get the snapshot here:

Client: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w07a/minecraft.jar
Server: http://assets.minecraft.net/12w07a/minecraft_server.jar

Oh, but that's not all.

quote:

* The game can’t use the full range of IDs yet because there are still some assumptions that IDs above 256 are items.
Indie Charm :allears:

Other things I've noticed:
  • full-brightness during the day in creative all modes
  • easier to see through water
  • no caves

edit: the lamps

tinaun fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 15, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tinaun posted:

Indie Charm :allears:

It's a snapshot, quit your whinin'.

So someone get a shot of the new lightsource?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Is there any sort of expected delivery for the full 1.2 update? After 1.1 came out soon after 1.0 I thought all this snapshot stuff would be fitted into the 1.2 update in the same amount of time, but it seems like they're cramming more and more stuff into snapshots rather than the official update on a regular basis.

I just want to run this new stuff on my little server!

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

MikeJF posted:

So someone get a shot of the new lightsource?
Here:

Unliit on the left, lit on the right. Same amount of light as glowstone/jack o lantern from the look of things.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I just found a bug in the snapshot. Stop laughing. I sent a message already anyway.

It's in the world creation menu. I can only speculate that there's a timer missing for graphics or something. In the world creation menu I noticed the computer emitting a high pitched whine. As soon as I left the menu it stopped. Tried again, same result. Pitch changed a little with different options selected like peaceful, hardcore etc. Whatever was going on was beating the poo poo out of the GPU. The temperature went up by 10*C in maybe 5 seconds. So FYI get your world set up quickly because that poo poo can't be good for the hardware.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
That is some nice water

Looks a bit dodgy underwater still.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
The zombie siege was fun. Glitchy, but fun. I did my best to secure the villagers while zombies ravaged their doors, but one house had poor lighting and skeletons spawned inside it. I had to protect three households full of mindless villagers. It doesn't help the village spawned awkwardly, with doors out of reach from the ground. In the end, I only saved one villager. I'm not quite sure what went wrong, but one of them left the house and ran into the night. Also, I broke a window and jumped from a tower onto a roof. It was cool.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Old and new ceiling:

A skyscraper that high is going to take fuckallday to climb to the roof!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

krushgroove posted:

Is there any sort of expected delivery for the full 1.2 update? After 1.1 came out soon after 1.0 I thought all this snapshot stuff would be fitted into the 1.2 update in the same amount of time, but it seems like they're cramming more and more stuff into snapshots rather than the official update on a regular basis.

I just want to run this new stuff on my little server!

The majority of the current update has to do with a new world format or has to deal with the AI overhaul. Would be silly to release 1.2 with half finished major changes to the game, in fact it would probably be really hard to release it until they are finished. 1.2 will be out when world format Anvil is stable and when the AI has successfully been moved over to the new system so that Jon no longer has to update and maintain outdated code which takes away time and resources from him doing better things. :P

1.1 was mostly just random things, 1.2 seems to be large world and AI changes and is actually how large I would like patches to be. Would rather wait for a huge amount of substantial changes then a few ones that come out rapidly. Plus, gives Jeb and Jon time to flesh out ideas, zombies breaking down doors has led to zombie sieges which has led to npcs having more interesting (though still not useful) AI interactions and the ability to maintain their population levels since Jon was given time to sit down and fiddle with it instead of trying to rush and get it out the door.

Jusupov posted:

That is some nice water

Looks a bit dodgy underwater still.

It is nice, but water is only like that in creative mode so you can build underwater without straining your eyes to see. Creative mode also actives full bright mode for light levels.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 15, 2012

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Enzer posted:

It is nice, but water is only like that in creative mode so you can build underwater without straining your eyes to see. Creative mode also actives full bright mode for light levels.

Hmm looks the same to me whether I'm on creative or survival on a multiplayer server.

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Nenonen posted:

Old and new ceiling:

God, that really makes me wish they hadn't killed the old water elevators. poo poo's gonna be really annoying without rapid vertical transporation.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
This is the first time I've actually bothered with downloading a snapshot, because gently caress yes these are the updates I want to see! I only messed around in survival for 15 minutes, but god drat does this version run smooth! I swear I was getting higher FPS the more I upped the graphics.

It turned to night as I was building my world-height nerd pole, and when I looked up I was all like 'gently caress I've built into space'.

also the water looked clear in survival too, which is a very, very welcome change.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Eggie posted:

The zombie siege was fun. Glitchy, but fun. I did my best to secure the villagers while zombies ravaged their doors, but one house had poor lighting and skeletons spawned inside it. I had to protect three households full of mindless villagers. It doesn't help the village spawned awkwardly, with doors out of reach from the ground. In the end, I only saved one villager. I'm not quite sure what went wrong, but one of them left the house and ran into the night. Also, I broke a window and jumped from a tower onto a roof. It was cool.

This sounds amazing. Jeb really is the best thing to have happened to this game.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I might need to dust off the booster track elevator idea I was messing with a little while ago in order to get myself to the top of some new megaconstruction. I think I got the whole thing to fit in a 3x4 space hidden inside a wall.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

tinaun posted:

• no caves

Wh...what? :( Seriously?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

thehustler posted:

Can anybody tell me a foolproof way of temporarily disabling blaze spawners? I put glowstone all around them because apparently torches don't really work. But they still spawned outside the glowstone. Is the spawning range quite large, and hence I need more glowstone to make it stop?

Then I need to figure out how to build a grinder for them...

Anybody? I've found my first nether fortress and want to set everything up nice and safe.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

General_Failure posted:

I just found a bug in the snapshot. Stop laughing. I sent a message already anyway.

It's in the world creation menu. I can only speculate that there's a timer missing for graphics or something. In the world creation menu I noticed the computer emitting a high pitched whine. As soon as I left the menu it stopped. Tried again, same result. Pitch changed a little with different options selected like peaceful, hardcore etc. Whatever was going on was beating the poo poo out of the GPU. The temperature went up by 10*C in maybe 5 seconds. So FYI get your world set up quickly because that poo poo can't be good for the hardware.

It's the capacitors on your motherboard/graphics card/whatever - Minecraft has done this for me in the past and it freaks me out.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98227

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jusupov posted:

Hmm looks the same to me whether I'm on creative or survival on a multiplayer server.

To me too. Maybe it can differ based on biome, so in swamps you get muddier water?

I just found a sandstone well kind of structure in the desert. It looks like I have missed a lot of stuff lately...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Doniazade posted:

God, that really makes me wish they hadn't killed the old water elevators. poo poo's gonna be really annoying without rapid vertical transporation.

Water elevator was really just a bug and not something that I'd ever want in my buildings, unless I was building a water park. Some kind of special vertical minecart track, or an elevator shaft thing that would be like ladders but instead of having to climb it it would take you superfast to the next stop, would be handy. Or just a powered ladder that allowed you to climb fast. Then you could place normal ladders at the stopping points so you don't miss the floor.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I think it's funny when people complain they removed a bug that was exploited to serve some function. Hopefully, they will add some sort of mechanical elevators to the game in the future. (this will never happen)

And please, please, no one say "OH THEY HAVE ELEVATORS ALREADY!!!! IN A MOOOOOOODDDDDD"

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Death Himself posted:

I might need to dust off the booster track elevator idea I was messing with a little while ago in order to get myself to the top of some new megaconstruction. I think I got the whole thing to fit in a 3x4 space hidden inside a wall.

You can fit it in 3x3 like this

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

a starwar betamax posted:

I think it's funny when people complain they removed a bug that was exploited to serve some function. Hopefully, they will add some sort of mechanical elevators to the game in the future. (this will never happen)

And please, please, no one say "OH THEY HAVE ELEVATORS ALREADY!!!! IN A MOOOOOOODDDDDD"

But it's my understanding that if you want new additions and bug fixes, you're supposed to turn to mods and not wish for regular old boring Minecraft to be improved. :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Enzer posted:

The majority of the current update has to do with a new world format or has to deal with the AI overhaul. Would be silly to release 1.2 with half finished major changes to the game, in fact it would probably be really hard to release it until they are finished. 1.2 will be out when world format Anvil is stable and when the AI has successfully been moved over to the new system so that Jon no longer has to update and maintain outdated code which takes away time and resources from him doing better things. :P

1.1 was mostly just random things, 1.2 seems to be large world and AI changes and is actually how large I would like patches to be. Would rather wait for a huge amount of substantial changes then a few ones that come out rapidly. Plus, gives Jeb and Jon time to flesh out ideas, zombies breaking down doors has led to zombie sieges which has led to npcs having more interesting (though still not useful) AI interactions and the ability to maintain their population levels since Jon was given time to sit down and fiddle with it instead of trying to rush and get it out the door.

Yeah I know these are big changes and agree it's best to release them when they're complete instead of half-assing it, I was just wondering if anyone knew if they are working to a particular deadline or just releasing it when it's complete. I'm assuming "when it's done it's done" until I hear otherwise :)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's a cool schematic for an elevator, but it's the sort of thing that I wouldn't bother with. It's neat and all, but a ton of work to implement.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Jeb is doing a good job!

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

thehustler posted:

Anybody? I've found my first nether fortress and want to set everything up nice and safe.

What the heck? I gave a pretty thorough response to you half way down the last page: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430275&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=334#post400596880

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

tinaun posted:

• no caves

So wait, one of the features of this game they just took out?

Huh?

Still, this looks awesome. I can't wait to check this out.

Another thing, are these lamps just glowstone but with the ability to turn them off/on with redstone switches?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

FaceTime posted:

Another thing, are these lamps just glowstone but with the ability to turn them off/on with redstone switches?

Yes

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

FaceTime posted:

So wait, one of the features of this game they just took out?

Huh?
The new map system probably broke the cave generation. It's called a development snapshot for a reason, they'll have reimplemented caves by the time 1.2 is released.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mr Phillby posted:

The new map system probably broke the cave generation. It's called a development snapshot for a reason, they'll have reimplemented caves by the time 1.2 is released.

I wouldn't put it past Jeb to have turned off cave generation to test something else and forgotten to turn it back on.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, holy poo poo. The baby villagers :3:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

I wouldn't put it past Jeb to have turned off cave generation to test something else and forgotten to turn it back on.

He must be busy fixing it, let's see...

@Jeb posted:

In a cab with @notch, going to fly to Copenhagen to visit Lego world (tomorrow)!

Let the :emo: begin!

MiracleMouse
Nov 6, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Old and new ceiling:A skyscraper that high is going to take fuckallday to climb to the roof!

Curious... Is the 256 ceiling a mod or is that standard now? When I played MC it was 128 from the bottom of the map to the top, but that was back in alpha and a long time ago. So, and If I am correct, the water level was at about 64 and the sky topped off at 128.

E: increase clearity of my question

MiracleMouse fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 15, 2012

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

@Jeb posted:

In a cab with @notch, going to fly to Copenhagen to visit Lego world (tomorrow)!

I wonder if Notch is going to get inspiration for Minecraft World(tm).

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Finally a place where it is minecon everyday!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Even if it is just a snapshot, the prospect of Minecraft being reduced to Craft is not pleasant.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Nenonen posted:

He must be busy fixing it, let's see...

Let the :emo: begin!

Check a few tweets below that, Jeb knows about the bugs, says he doesn't have time to push out another snapshot today because Notch is dragging him onto a plane. Really doubt that bug would make it to release. :v:

MiracleMouse posted:

Curious... Is the 256 ceiling a mod or is that standard now? When I played MC it was 128 from the bottom of the map to the top, but that was back in alpha and a lomg time ago. So, and If I am correct, the water level was at about 64 and the sky topped off at 128.

E: increase clearity of my question

The current snapshot (a pre-release of the upcoming 1.2 patch for testing purposes/proving they are still working on the game) has changes so that the roof of the world has been raised to 256. 64 is still sea level and clouds are still at 128, you can just now build beyond that height as of next patch. World generation has not (and will not for 1.2 at least) been changed to reflect this so it is literally just extra open space in which to build upwards. Once the new way of storing biome data is fully in place I can see Jeb adding new super high elevation biomes.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 15, 2012

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Old and new ceiling:

I forgot to quote this and say YES!!! :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

MiracleMouse posted:

Curious... Is the 256 ceiling a mod or is that standard now?

Will be standard when the new version drops.

0-64 = Below Sea
64-258 = Above Sea