Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I am so loving excited for new Streetlight material. Please don't disappoint me Tomas, you fuckface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlandMan123
Nov 29, 2004
I guess the holidays are over for them.

nerve posted:

I am so loving excited for new Streetlight material. Please don't disappoint me Tomas, you fuckface.

Oh, don't get your hopes up. You know it'll be another five years.

What did you all think of Tomas' solo album (sorry, sorry, "Toh Kay"'s solo album)? I thought it was going to be awful, and found myself upset that he once again was rerecording a bunch of old songs, but upon listening, I was pretty blown away. It really showcases what an excellent composer--and guitarist--he is that songs written for an 8-some piece ska band worked just as well as a solo folk album. And I don't even like folk.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
I preferred recordings of his more recent live performances to the actual recordings. The editing is kind of obvious.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
All jokes aside, a remastered Smiles for Macavity would loving own bones.

e: I just really want a studio version of Point-Keaseby-Counterpoint

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

All jokes aside, a remastered Smiles for Macavity would loving own bones.

e: I just really want a studio version of Point-Keaseby-Counterpoint

If the theoretical BotAR 99songs ever came out that's what I want the inevitable Streetlight cover to be.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

I want to hear an updated version of Mrs Butterworth. Last time I asked him to play it he told me to go gently caress myself :swoon:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FloppyDiskCommando posted:

I want to hear an updated version of Mrs Butterworth. Last time I asked him to play it he told me to go gently caress myself :swoon:

I think I was there when that happened.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

wait so have I met you? I feel like we've been at a million shows together

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh hey ska thread what's goin

gently caress YEAH

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
B***HES

Also this thread got me to check out Toh Kay's album. Is there something that's stopping him from writing new songs?

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.
BTMI! are touring Australia next month. gently caress yeah!

They're playing 2 venues in Melbourne. The Tote is first, and it's an legendary venue. Almost got shut down a couple of years ago due to new liquor licensing laws but kept open due to community support. Should be an awesome gig.

Their other show is some place called "Disgraceland". There's an address for it and it appears to be a random unmarked warehouse in an alleyway about 5 minutes from my house.

I'm so loving excited!

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

baked posted:

BTMI! are touring Australia next month. gently caress yeah!

They're playing 2 venues in Melbourne. The Tote is first, and it's an legendary venue. Almost got shut down a couple of years ago due to new liquor licensing laws but kept open due to community support. Should be an awesome gig.

Their other show is some place called "Disgraceland". There's an address for it and it appears to be a random unmarked warehouse in an alleyway about 5 minutes from my house.

I'm so loving excited!

Wow I'm super glad you posted this. I would have missed it completely.

Seriously, thank you.

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.
Holy poo poo!

Holy poo poo!

Edit: Damnit the real world sucks. If I hadn't started school this year I would try to get to some of the Sydney shows as well. Any goons going to the Brisbane show/been to the venue?

Gabbleduck fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 12, 2012

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
http://kroq.radio.com/2012/02/06/ska-favorites-reel-big-fish-recording-new-album-get-a-sneak-peek/

RBF in the studios.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

The multiplying villainies of nature do swarm upon him...

They posted about this on Facebook awhile ago. So glad to see it's true :) Their acoustic album was pretty awesome. Really, they can take my money any day. Love them.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
http://theimpossiblesreturn.com/

See you fuckers in Austin.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Just came here to post that. I'm buying a ticket now, and sorting out the possibility of actually going later.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Just wanted to say this thread has introduced me to the awesomeness that is ASOB. Just downloaded two of their CDs and donated them some moneys because holy crap they're good. Definitely trying to drag some friends to see them in May.

Edit: Oh, sold out :( Any helpful goons willing to sell me an extra ticket to this? Sounds like an absolute blast.

Beowulf fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 13, 2012

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rear end-JUyWFfs
I only just realised this video existed, and I haven't stopped smiling since I started watching. I want to dance like they do.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Beowulf posted:

Edit: Oh, sold out :( Any helpful goons willing to sell me an extra ticket to this? Sounds like an absolute blast.

I may have an extra ticket, but it'll be hard to say until closer to the show date. However, it sounds like they're planning on another show for the people who missed out on this one.

FlaJackknife
Aug 19, 2010
Oh hey, a ska music thread, how have I missed this for so long? Diehard Bosstones fan here..any other goons crazy enough to make the trip to Throwdowns since post-hiatus?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm less of a ska fan than I used to be, but when I was younger I was very keen on 2 Tone groups like Madness, the Specials and the Selecter. Those were some of the first bands that really caught my attention; Madness in particular appealed to me because I discovered them when I was learning to play the saxophone.

I think the first American ska album I listened to was Dub 56 by the Toasters. It was great. They're probably one of the jazzier Third Wave bands, and there's was some really fantastic horn playing on that record (I might mention the sax solo on the track "Sweet Cherie", which is fairly simple but nevertheless very effective).

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
BTMI loves you and wants you to have another single:

http://bombthemusicindustry.tumblr.com/post/17621199208

(at the bottom). It's pretty great. Listen to it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

FlaJackknife posted:

Oh hey, a ska music thread, how have I missed this for so long? Diehard Bosstones fan here..any other goons crazy enough to make the trip to Throwdowns since post-hiatus?

been to every throwdown in the past 10 years except this year :/

FlaJackknife
Aug 19, 2010
That's a shame, I'd say this past year was one of the best since they reunited. What kept you from going? I'm a member of their site forums and the group of us always get together for a weeks worth of partying which makes the trip all the more worth it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Born and raised in Boston, moved to NJ for grad work and it was the first year I spent away from there. Always the highlight of the holidays for me.

Speaking of which, I know its the TYOOL 2012, but I miss even the beginning of the decade where the Aquabats came to Boston almost always a day before classes ended and the summer was basically a long string of tours from all the bands ever, and those who didn't tour individually were on Warped Tour. About the only band I make it out to see these days is Streetlight. RBF is just kind of boring now and Big D is even less worth my time.

Although upon moving to New Jersey, I discovered that almost everybody here universally hates Streetlight and prefers Catch 22.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

If you missed getting tickets to the ASOB show at the Warsaw, the gang is planning on playing a show at a much bigger venue the day before.

Tickets go on sale Saturday. At this rate in a few weeks they'll announce that they're on the list for this year's Warped Tour.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

FlaJackknife posted:

Throwdowns are overrated. Especially the people that stay at the Buck.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

Miscellaneous_T posted:

If you missed getting tickets to the ASOB show at the Warsaw, the gang is planning on playing a show at a much bigger venue the day before.

Tickets go on sale Saturday. At this rate in a few weeks they'll announce that they're on the list for this year's Warped Tour.

Oh jesus do I want to go to both? :ohdear:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gogey posted:

If I wasn't going to be staying in Albany and had a place to crash in Brooklyn or Jersey I'd think about it.

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Gogey posted:

Probably. At least that's how I answered the same question for myself.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

Oh poo poo :O MUST BUY TICKETS

Edit: can't explain how much my discovery of that band has amazed me. It's like the best thing since I found out Op Ivy existed.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Gogey posted:

I'm going to be staying in NYC for the whole weekend regardless, so I'm definitely going to both.

EDIT:

Beowulf posted:

can't explain how much my discovery of that band has amazed me. It's like the best thing since I found out Op Ivy existed.

Yeah, I might catch some poo poo for saying this, but ASOB is probably my favorite ska band to ever exist, so this random reunion show is loving ill. I saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor last year and that show won't even come close to how awesome these shows will be.

Misc fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 17, 2012

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

I live on Long Island so it's not actually hard for me to go in :v:

FlaJackknife
Aug 19, 2010

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Throwdowns are overrated. Especially the people that stay at the Buck.

I was waiting to see how long you'd notice this Skippy!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Living in Brooklyn is the best.

Beowulf
Jun 16, 2003

2 tickets to the Webster Hall ASOB show secured! :dance:

Neeb
Oct 21, 2010

buttslave posted:

BTMI loves you and wants you to have another single:

http://bombthemusicindustry.tumblr.com/post/17621199208

(at the bottom). It's pretty great. Listen to it.

Yeah this is pretty sweet - gets kinda Neutral Milk Hotel at the end as well with the synth/vocals in unison.

Streetlight are a little less generous it seems, but 3 seconds are better than none, right?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10101324536999053&set=vb.366037625746&type=2&theater

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Alright, I'm not sure if this should go here, or in the punk thread. But my friends had a pretty decent ska band for a bit, then moved on to other projects. Well I checked out one of those projects, and having heard them earlier I was impressed. They have really come along from "It's okay you're my friends" to "You guys aren't actually that bad". You guys should really check it out because they have it streamable on bandcamp. Give it a listen. It is Not Bad :v: http://eviction.bandcamp.com/album/finding-joy-through-sorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabbleduck
Mar 13, 2011

Three hots an' a cot.

Miscellaneous_T posted:

Yeah, I might catch some poo poo for saying this, but ASOB is probably my favorite ska band to ever exist, so this random reunion show is loving ill. I saw Godspeed You! Black Emperor last year and that show won't even come close to how awesome these shows will be.

If you have any poo, fling it now!

Nah, for me ASOB is the epitome of what my teenager self considered punk. The tone, energy and I dunno, indignation maybe? Plus they're doing it all in the ska genre so i'd have to agree with you.
I listened to Goodbye Cool World from start to finish today and what's so amazing to me is that it really feels new. Most songs/bands/entire genres(ska included) are just attempts by the 'artists' to break into a scene or get recognized by some niche. Goodbye Cool World is a series of attempts of creating something. All the songs are so full on and packed with different instruments and chord progressions I don't even recognize. It's like a little easter egg you get from listening to Kings of Minneapolis Pts. 1 and 2 really loud and realising there's some kind of piano instrument playing this beautiful thing throughout part 1. And the fact that it's just him and a couple of his mates recording themeselves on all the instruments and stitching it all together, holy crap.

I was a bit suprised that they needed to say they were moving away from ska last year or whatever. That's some of their earliest stuff and I would only call Sorry Brooklyn, Dancing Won't Solve Anything. a ska song.
I just gotta say I also think this is really cool about All Alone In my Big Apartment 'The drums on this are a laundry bin, a set of keys and a bag of pasta being smashed against a box of Couscous.'
And it sounds haunting and awesome.