Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Daeren posted:

You can get a bunch of stuff in your diet that'll make you fat as gently caress while still remaining totally vegan. For instance, deep fried peanut butter? Vegan. Those honey bun things in vending machines that each have around 100% of your daily recommended saturated fat? Vegan.

Edit: technically those honey bun things might not count if people count honey as non-vegan, but I knew a ton of vegans who said honey and only honey didn't count for some reason :psyduck:

Bees are jerks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Carbs don't fill you up as fast as protein per calorie. When you're vegan, you're eating a lot of carbs.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

bunnielab posted:

Bees are jerks.

I thought they were bulemic?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I thought they were bulemic?
They are not mutually exclusive.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
has anyone ever tried to make the steam bun things that are popping up in restaurants here and there? I think momofuku was one of the first classy joints I heard of that had them - inevitably they are 2 bite size and filled with a slice of pork belly

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
also : dino - tell me about mustard oil

I bought some a couple weeks ago, because my indian home cooking book suggested it was the only way to get a good tasting vindaloo. (a dish I have never been able to nail to my satisfaction). haven't tried to use it in anything yet...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

has anyone ever tried to make the steam bun things that are popping up in restaurants here and there? I think momofuku was one of the first classy joints I heard of that had them - inevitably they are 2 bite size and filled with a slice of pork belly

Yeah, I made them for my ICSA: effort entry. They're not hard, but they're hella cheap and easy to get at chinese bakeries, so I never make them.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Daeren posted:

Edit: technically those honey bun things might not count if people count honey as non-vegan, but I knew a ton of vegans who said honey and only honey didn't count for some reason :psyduck:

SEE ALSO: Assholes who are inconsistent. Honey is loving not vegan.

@Mindphlux:

Do Roman beans!

Heat a generous measure of mustard oil in a large skillet, and add black mustard seeds. Wait for them to crackle and pop, and then add cumin seeds. Add (topped and tailed) green beans, and stir to combine. When cooked through, stir in Roman Mustard. Roman mustard is made by soaking mustard seeds in verjuice and water overnight, and then grinding it with flaked peeled almonds, pine nuts, and a bit of extra water to get it going. It is most delicious even without the Roman mustard.

Same goes for any dish that involves popping spices in hot fat. Mustard oil is most delicious.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

dino. posted:

This is the chili with/out beans argument but for vegans, isn't it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

yeah, vegans can't even agree with each other what they are. It's sad because everyone else in the world knows exactly what they are :v:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Yawgmoth posted:

No, it's like those assholes who call themselves vegetarian, but eat chickens, fishes, and all other manner of "exceptions", which then causes the "vegetarian option" to be something that I'd never eat in a million years when growing up. There's a difference, kiddo. I poo poo you not, I've been to events where the vegetarian option was actually bacon wrapped chicken. >_< Another one when in college, where it was a tuna sandwich. Yet another one, where everything was fine "Except we cooked it in chicken stock. That's OK, right?" It's why there's this ongoing joke that chicken must apparently grow on trees, and fish is a root vegetable, because everyone seems to forget that they're animals. :gonk:

Off-topic from getting Dino's blood pressure up: I never had that box macaroni and cheese that the guy from newb thread mentioned. Is it that bad? Isn't it just like pasta that you add cheese to? Or is it like those instant cup a soup things with all kind of dehydrated stuff in? I've had cousins who said it's lovely. I thought all pasta (that's dried) came in boxes anyway. Surely that doesn't count as boxfood. It's not like you can minute-rice pasta, is it? Someone fill me in plz.

dino. fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 16, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Yawgmoth posted:

I'm with dino on this one; why would anyone even try to argue that honey is vegan? It's nectar processed by bees, and unless you want to claim that insects are somehow not animals, I don't understand how you can call yourself vegan and eat honey.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pnumoman posted:

I'm with dino on this one; why would anyone even try to argue that honey is vegan? It's nectar processed by bees, and unless you want to claim that insects are somehow not animals, I don't understand how you can call yourself vegan and eat honey.

I don't think you can call yourself a vegan and eat anything. Any thing that has grown in the ground has either had insects killed in order for it to make it to market or has had animal by products such as manure and worm castings added to it to help it grow. If one was to be a true idealistic vegan all of these things are off limits.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
And more on that boxfood thing. My nephew loves that Kraft Easy-Mac and asks his mum to make it all the time. Is that the same stuff? If so, that doesn't look so bad. OK, it looks bad. But still. I'm not familiar with how you make it, because while the mother's making said easy mac, I'm usually entertaining said kiddo.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

Some people are vegan because it's a matter of consent. What about abandoned hive honey?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Some people are vegan because it's a matter of consent. What about abandoned hive honey?

How 'bout we talk about something more interesting than idiotic hypotheticals?

Pic related.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The box mac & cheese is usually (unless you buy the expensive stuff) a box of noodles with powdered cheese sauce mix. You just add milk & butter to it. Only good thing about it is that it's cheap. If you buy the cheap stuff it's like $.50 for a box of it.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Yeah, it's probably godawful to anyone with real taste in macaroni and cheese, but I practically inhaled Kraft's macaroni and cheese when I was a kid so I still have a soft spot for it. Just the shape ones, though - I always said they tasted different and my mom just assumed I was being a dumb kid for the longest time, but then my dad tried one with shapes and one with elbow noodles and he was like "What the hell these do taste different." I have no idea why.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eeyo posted:

The box mac & cheese is usually (unless you buy the expensive stuff) a box of noodles with powdered cheese sauce mix. You just add milk & butter to it. Only good thing about it is that it's cheap. If you buy the cheap stuff it's like $.50 for a box of it.

O_O Is there any relation to that powdered cheese like they put on popcorn and stuff? I used to like that cheese popcorn they'd sell in those giant boxes with the caramel, butter, and cheese popcorn. Those boxes are rather tiny. I see pasta on sale for like $1 for 2 lbs. I guess it's because the sauce comes with it? Still, if you're adding your own butter and milk, why not just add some cheese to the thing and have done with?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

dino. posted:

O_O Is there any relation to that powdered cheese like they put on popcorn and stuff? I used to like that cheese popcorn they'd sell in those giant boxes with the caramel, butter, and cheese popcorn. Those boxes are rather tiny. I see pasta on sale for like $1 for 2 lbs. I guess it's because the sauce comes with it? Still, if you're adding your own butter and milk, why not just add some cheese to the thing and have done with?

Kraft Dinner really, really is that much cheaper than buying your own cheese.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones

dino. posted:

Because that's so much work!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Kraft Dinner really, really is that much cheaper than buying your own cheese.
I saw cheese in the store for like $2 for a pound! I don't think you'd need /that/ much cheese, right? Right? Bueller? Bueller? I'm guessing that it's the convenience of having it all right there.

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012

dino. posted:

And more on that boxfood thing. My nephew loves that Kraft Easy-Mac and asks his mum to make it all the time. Is that the same stuff? If so, that doesn't look so bad. OK, it looks bad. But still. I'm not familiar with how you make it, because while the mother's making said easy mac, I'm usually entertaining said kiddo.

I realize that this pushes me darned close to apostasy, but what makes Kraft Mac and Cheese into the food of the gods is to add half a tin of diced up spam into it. You may say treyf, but your tummy says "nom!"

Oh, and for the ballerina, try Pearls Before Swine:

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2009/09/08

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

dino. posted:

I saw cheese in the store for like $2 for a pound! I don't think you'd need /that/ much cheese, right? Right? Bueller? Bueller? I'm guessing that it's the convenience of having it all right there.

There's something to be said about the texture of kraft mac. So much so that Modernist Cuisine tries to get the same effect but with better quality cheese and things like sodium citrate and iota carageenan. Making mac and cheese in the traditional manner: making a bechamel, turning into a mornay, cooking real noodles, are all very time consuming compared to parboiled noodles and instant sauce.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My roommate set fire to some bacon in our toaster oven and ended up using the fire extinguisher on it. He wiped it down and says its clean. I don't smell any fumes, but should we toss it anyways?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The bacon or the toaster?

e: if it's been well cleaned and everything has burnt off the elements, it's fine.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 16, 2012

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Making mac and cheese in the traditional manner: making a bechamel, turning into a mornay, cooking real noodles, are all very time consuming compared to parboiled noodles and instant sauce.

No it isn't. It takes less time to make the sauce than it takes to bring the water to a boil and cook the noodles.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Desiree Cousteau posted:

I realize that this pushes me darned close to apostasy, but what makes Kraft Mac and Cheese into the food of the gods is to add half a tin of diced up spam into it. You may say treyf, but your tummy says "nom!"

Oh, and for the ballerina, try Pearls Before Swine:

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2009/09/08
I'm guessing that's not vegan.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Plastic Jesus posted:

No it isn't. It takes less time to make the sauce than it takes to bring the water to a boil and cook the noodles.

But, it takes two pans. TWO PANS.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PainBreak posted:

But, it takes two pans. TWO PANS.

:aaaaa:

difficulty scales with panuse

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DID SOMEBODY SAY PANNUS?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

DON'T CLICK THIS ONE OKAY.

:nms:

PANNUS

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Yeah, change of subject.

I snore a lot, and kick my husband, don't sleep well and sometimes yell for food runners in my sleep. So I got signed up for one of those nifty sleep studies. It should come as no surprise that it takes a handful of pharmaceuticals to keep me sane, healthy and reasonably functional. Two of these medications look almost exactly alike except for the drug's name on the bottle. They do two VERY different things.

You can see where this is going.

I just got home from a miserable night of being hooked up to monitors trying desperately to sleep and wondering why I was wide awake, only to get up and find my AM antidepressants on the night stand and my sleeping pills in the bag with my clean clothes. I have a feeling the doc might want to repeat the study.

At least I don't have a pannus.

e: Yes, Dr. House, I did touch base with poison control. They told me to avoid heights and expect to feel like a poo poo sandwich all day.

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 16, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Plastic Jesus posted:

It takes 20 minutes at a minimum to make a not gross roux thickened sauce.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
For god's sake, people, we just had to close the thread and purify it, and now you are tainting it with your depraved filth again!

Anyone got anymore cyst-squeezing videos?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Wroughtirony posted:

I have a feeling the doc might want to repeat the study.
Oh Wrought, that's terrible! I hope that the next day's sleep study goes better than that last one. D:

Desiree Cousteau
Jan 15, 2012

therattle posted:

I'm guessing that's not vegan.

I'm not sure if any feral ballerina is vegan.

Rowlr! Roooowrllll! (en pointe) Rrrrrowlr! Hsssst.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Wroughtirony posted:

I have a feeling the doc might want to repeat the study.

At least I don't have a pannus.

I got my cpap about 6 months ago and use it every night. About a week ago, I went to bed and was really stuffed up from a cold, so I couldn't wear my cpap. I didn't realize what a night of stopping breathing was like, but I could not function the next day. I guess when you stop breathing about ever 1.2 minutes it has a negative effect. who knew?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, I made them for my ICSA: effort entry. They're not hard, but they're hella cheap and easy to get at chinese bakeries, so I never make them.

Oh yeah, I knew I had seen them recently on here! Good entry, by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

It takes 20 minutes at a minimum to make a not gross roux thickened sauce.
Wait, what? My quick n dirty mac n cheese (bechamel plus cheese plus pasta) sauce cooks in the same amount of time that the pasta does. It may not be as silky as the roux sauce in a 3-hour beef stew, but it'll do in a hurry.