Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

i thought they'd said they weren't releasing it. What changed?

Yeah, I remember that. Though I never understood the reason - "minor Kiarostami"??? Hell, it's miles better than Tiny Furniture. I've really liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Sporadic posted:

I hope that they can get the rights to The Unbearable Lightness Of Being from Warner. The more Juliette Binoche on Blu-Ray, the better :swoon:

That is one of the movies that was bought by Lionsgate in 2010, I don't have much hope they'll be getting back any of the big chunk they lost in that sale. I'm pretty sure they're meant to be released as a part of the (so far rather disappointing) Studio Canal collection.

I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing The Tales of Hoffman when I snagged the other titles from that batch I wanted.

e: Honestly I'm not even sure what's going on with the SC Collection stateside, haven't heard much from them since the terrible Ran blu-ray I think

leokitty fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 15, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

leokitty posted:

That is one of the movies that was bought by Lionsgate in 2010, I don't have much hope they'll be getting back any of the big chunk they lost in that sale. I'm pretty sure they're meant to be released as a part of the (so far rather disappointing) Studio Canal collection.

I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing The Tales of Hoffman when I snagged the other titles from that batch I wanted.

e: Honestly I'm not even sure what's going on with the SC Collection stateside, haven't heard much from them since the terrible Ran blu-ray I think

Was it? I thought that Warner had the rights to it from the multi-year deal they signed with The Saul Zaentz Company (which included One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus)

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Sporadic posted:

Was it? I thought that Warner had the rights to it from the multi-year deal they signed with The Saul Zaentz Company (which included One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus)

I appear to have gotten their recent losses mixed up, sorry.

That gives it a better chance of coming back to Criterion though, at least (I think). :shobon:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

leokitty posted:

It seems like they took them back because they saw Criterion making money off of the Blu-Rays and wanted to make bank directly, but then did the laziest possible job, got blasted for it, and gave up because it's harder and more expensive than they thought it would be.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
The backorder code is REDO for anyone who didn't get an email.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It seems like they took them back because they saw Criterion making money off of the Blu-Rays and wanted to make bank directly, but then did the laziest possible job, got blasted for it, and gave up because it's harder and more expensive than they thought it would be.

Or more likely they lost money on them and decided not to produce more, without even noticing any of the other stuff.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The problem with Lionsgate is a combination of upper management and collateral. They get libraries in order to use as collateral in financing new films. And one of their home entertainment leads publicly said "old movies aren't worth releasing unless they have John Wayne."

The worst thing is the abandonment of the Republic library since most if it has been restored and preserved with only new transfer needed. It wouldn't be that expensive to remaster the films since there are pristine film elements ready to go with only minimal digital work required.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

And one of their home entertainment leads publicly said "old movies aren't worth releasing unless they have John Wayne."

If that's the case, why even hang on to the rights? There are plenty of interested companies out there. Or is this a case of "if we can't make any money on these movies, then no one will." :colbert: ?

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

If that's the case, why even hang on to the rights? There are plenty of interested companies out there. Or is this a case of "if we can't make any money on these movies, then no one will." :colbert: ?

Egbert Souse posted:

They get libraries in order to use as collateral in financing new films.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm not business minded, so explain how this works.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Origami Dali posted:

I'm not business minded, so explain how this works.

To get loans you need to prove to people that you have assets you can sell to pay them back if you screw up. They use back catalogues for this purpose. The more valuable stuff you own the more people are willing to lend you because it mitigates their risks.

This is true for individuals too. It's why it's relatively easy to ask for a couple of hundred grand if you've got a house as collateral, but you'll get laughed out of the bank if you go in with just an idea.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Oh, right. My naivete's acting up. I guess it's difficult for me to think of a film catalog as assets. Especially if they admittedly have no interest in it, outside of luring investors to fund SawXX or whatever garb Lionsgate puts out these days. What a waste.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I've also read that their thinking is that it isn't worth releasing an old title, but they don't want to license it out either in case it is successful and they look stupid for not doing it properly themselves.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

aga. posted:

I've also read that their thinking is that it isn't worth releasing an old title, but they don't want to license it out either in case it is successful and they look stupid for not doing it properly themselves.

Well maybe they should not have released such a crappy transfer of Ran. :mad:

Losing money on a classic, popular Kurosawa Blu-Ray release probably means you did something wrong. Or maybe I'm just bitter.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

That's just a general "why don't studios license films they're doing nothing with" answer. It's been happening forever but it's even more galling when it's rights they've taken from a perfectly competent (or in this case even better) company to either sit on the property or poo poo it out.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

What's more insulting is that Lionsgate is releasing nearly every Miramax title with an HD transfer, but is sitting on a ton of StudioCanal films ready for the shelf or already released in Europe. And it's Lionsgate that's responsible for Criterion having to take nearly all StudioCanal films out of print.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Egbert Souse posted:

What's more insulting is that Lionsgate is releasing nearly every Miramax title with an HD transfer, but is sitting on a ton of StudioCanal films ready for the shelf or already released in Europe. And it's Lionsgate that's responsible for Criterion having to take nearly all StudioCanal films out of print.

Miramax used to do the same thing, acquiring the rights to tons of flicks and then sitting on them indefinitely. It's funny that their major catalog is now getting released primarily by Lionsgate, while the deep catalog is being slowly shat out in trickles of terrible releases by EchoBridge.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Studio Canal has that new restored print of Grand Illusion that's being released in theaters in Europe in April and then DVD/Blu-Ray. Perhaps that will be hitting the US as the third release in the Studio Canal Collection here? It's the 75th anniversary of the film, afterall.

I've not looked too deep into it but I haven't heard awful things about the SCC releases after Ran. I think that one is doubly maddening to folks as we were so excited after the Criterion announcement.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Looking through the list of movies on their site, I'm reminded of some of the holes in my knowledge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Louis Malle film to start with? Other than Andre, which is the only one I've seen.

EDIT: Also, has anyone ever rented a movie through the site? I'm curious as to the quality.

robix smash posted:

The backorder code is REDO for anyone who didn't get an email.
Thank you! I've been wanting to pick up the Three Colors trilogy on Bluray for a while and now I have no excuse. (I know, I know, I have this avatar and not have picked it up yet.)

kuddles fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Feb 16, 2012

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

robix smash posted:

Criterion are totally jerks for releasing a still that looks so much like In the Mood for Love, but isn't. I can't see ever watching Certified Copy a second time honestly.

As much as I too would love a bluray of In the Mood For Love, it's a shame that you're not willing to see Certified Copy more than once. I think it's a film that rewards you with multiple viewings. There are many ways to interpret the film and it can thus provide varying degrees of emotion and resonance. It's one of my favourite films of 2011 and i'll be buying the Criterion after already picking up the UK blu. Excited for the cover art this afternoon!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

kuddles posted:

Looking through the list of movies on their site, I'm reminded of some of the holes in my knowledge. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Louis Malle film to start with? Other than Andre, which is the only one I've seen.

Malle covered so much territory that my recommendation would be jump in anywhere. Few of his films are like any of his other films. Besides Andre, I'm especially fond of Elevator to the Gallows, Lacombe Lucien and Phantom India.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Weirdly, my favorite films of his are both documentaries that you can find in the Eclipse set: Vive le tour and God's Country. But if pressed for a favorite non-doc film, I'd probably tell you to start with Au revoir les enfants, The Fire Within, or Elevator to the Gallows.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm especially fond of Elevator to the Gallows.

This right here. I saw this a couple weeks ago and fell in love with it.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Final preview picture for May releases, I got nothing off the top of my head. Announcement is later today.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Summer Interlude -- double Bergman!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

La Haine, Being John Malkovich, Summer Interlude, Summer with Monika, Certified Copy

http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/17729450080/criterions-may-line-up-certified-copy-summer

Spending your Summer with Bergman movies is probably very interesting but not necessarily fun :v:

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!
Man, who did they lose in the art department recently? Every one of those is like a terrible 80s young adult book cover. Come back, Sean Phillips, we need you!

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#381 - LA HAINE (BR, May 8)

(same as DVD)

#611 - BEING JOHN MALKOVICH (BR/2-disc DVD, May 15)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New selected-scene audio commentary featuring filmmaker Michel Gondry
•New behind-the-scenes documentary by filmmaker Lance Bangs
•Conversation between John Malkovich and humorist John Hodgman
•Director Spike Jonze discusses Being John Malkovich via photos from its production
•Two films within the film: 7½ Floor Orientation and “American Arts & Culture” Presents John Horatio Malkovich, “Dance of Despair and Disillusionment”
•An Intimate Portrait of the Art of Puppeteering, a documentary by Bangs
•Trailer and TV spots
•PLUS: A booklet featuring a conversation between Jonze and pop-culture critic Perkus Tooth

#612 - CERTIFIED COPY (BR/2-disc DVD, May 22)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview with director Abbas Kiarostami
•Let’s See “Copia conforme,” an Italian documentary on the making of Certified Copy, featuring interviews with Kiarostami and actors Juliette Binoche and William Shimell
•Trailer
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Godfrey Cheshire

#613 - SUMMER INTERLUDE (BR/DVD, May 29)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Peter Cowie

#614 - SUMMER WITH MONIKA (BR/DVD, May 29)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Introduction by director Ingmar Bergman
•New interview with actress Harriet Andersson, conducted by film critic Peter Cowie
•New interview with film scholar Eric Schaefer about Kroger Babb and Babb’s distribution of Monika: Story of a Bad Girl as an exploitation film
•Images from the Playground, a half-hour documentary by Stig Björkman with behind-the-scenes footage shot by Bergman, archival audio interviews with Bergman, and new interviews with actresses Bibi Andersson and Harriet Andersson
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film scholar Laura Hubner, a 1958 review by filmmaker Jean-Luc Godard, and a publicity piece from 1953 in which Bergman interviews himself

Eclipse Series 33: Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr. (2-disc DVD, May 22)

•Babo 73
•Chafed Elbows
•No More Excuses
•Putney Swope
•Two Tons of Turquoise to Taos Tonight

As usual, my take:

La Haine - like it, no need to buy it

BJM - been meaning to give this another chance, probable rental

CC - very much want to see it, possible blind buy but more likely a rental first

Summer Interlude - far from one of my favorite Bergmans, but of course I'll buy it anyway

Summer With Monika - a gem from his early years with a few nice extras, another obvious buy for me

Downey - only one I've heard of is Putney Swope, which I never got around to. Rental.

I can't complain about a month with double Bergman. This batch of covers is pretty lame, though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

F for :effort: on those covers, drat. Some of the few times where the real posters are far superior. Were they made in a GBS "Make Criterion Covers" thread?

Cacator fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 16, 2012

bmmello
Jul 11, 2002

Interesting month, but horrible, horrible covers. What's going on, Criterion?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
You know it's a bad month for cover art when the Eclipse Set is the best-looking of the bunch. Coincidentally, that's the only title I'm really looking forward to. Been meaning to explore Downey Sr.'s work.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Eclipse Series 33: Up All Night with Robert Downey Sr. (2-disc DVD, May 22)

•Babo 73
•Chafed Elbows
•No More Excuses
•Putney Swope
•Two Tons of Turquoise to Taos Tonight

drat, I was really hoping for a mainline release of Putney Swope with some sort of special features. Still stoked for this set, though, not gonna lie.

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

friendo55 posted:

Excited for the [Certifed Copy] cover art this afternoon!

:doh: What on earth is going on?! A beautiful vibrant film and we get a gray background & small mirrored photo? Wow.

I might just buy the Criterion and insert the UK bluray cover on top. I can't believe I'm saying that.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I do remember they've changed covers based on negative feedback (Viridiana comes to mind), so get bitching.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

The Certified Copy cover is supposed to look like the book at the beginning of the film, and since one of the questions of the film is whether a copy of something is as good as the original, it's clever that the cover itself is a copy.

That said, even with the rationale, it's ugly as hell.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
La Haine, I imported that on HD-DVD a long time ago. I remember it looking pretty good, at the time, but I imagine Criterion's will look even better.

It will be a good rental.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I like the cover for Summer with Monika, just not the font.

friendo55 posted:

As much as I too would love a bluray of In the Mood For Love, it's a shame that you're not willing to see Certified Copy more than once. I think it's a film that rewards you with multiple viewings. There are many ways to interpret the film and it can thus provide varying degrees of emotion and resonance. It's one of my favourite films of 2011 and i'll be buying the Criterion after already picking up the UK blu. Excited for the cover art this afternoon!
I thought it was a fine film, but I wasn't as blown away by the central question as most people seem to have been and couldn't really find any kind of emotional connection into it at all. Just for contrast's sake, In the Mood for Love has both a great central conceit and an emotional inlet.

friendo55 posted:

Excited for the cover art this afternoon!
You're Eddie Mush from A Bronx Tale!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Two months in a row of Criterion just putting out one Blu upgrade. :(

By the way, BFI announced Blu editions of John Cassevetes' Faces and Shadows for April 23rd. Both seem to contain the same extras as Criterion's DVDs. They also have Peter Greenaway's Belly of an Architect coming in June, which seems to be owned by MGM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Fun fact: Monika (in an edited form) grossed more theatrically in the United States than any other Bergman film would, largely because Joseph Levine distributed it and his advertising campaign amounted to "Swedish sex! It's got boobs!" You gotta love Joe Levine.

I was wrong! This wasn't Joseph E. Levine (though it was his m.o.). It was Kroger Babb and Babb, as evinced by the bonus feature "New interview with film scholar Eric Schaefer about Kroger Babb and Babb’s distribution of Monika: Story of a Bad Girl as an exploitation film." Schaefer wrote a great book about exploitation film: Bold! Daring! Shocking! True: A History of Exploitation Films, 1919-1959.