Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Manky posted:

This is a different approach, and no guarantees, but try downloading and installing Speed Download. See if it works. Then use the bundled uninstaller that's supposed to get everything back to normal, then check again.

Probably should have mentioned that I also tried that. I know that SD is something that I had initially downloaded, but I tried the 'redownload/re-uninstall'. No dice. Gonna try the separate user account, but I'm really looking for a genuine 'fix', not just a work-around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

My old computer I was using as a NAS finally died, and I've been thinking about getting a time capsule. Just about everywhere that sells them seems to be out-of-stock. Could this be a sign of an impending refresh, or just an effect of the recent hard drive shortage? Should I just order one and wait?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gism0 posted:

That's a weird one, those are 'services' from OS X. You can go to the keyboard pref pane and under 'keyboard shortcuts' select services from the left. Check there to see if they are in german.

in English they should be 'add to iTunes as a spoken track' and 'open URL'

edit: I think you can rename them in /System/Library/Services/

Yeah, they're in German. How odd. Is there a way to just make them all English again? Like a button press?

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 14, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Hmm. Looks like the RC for VLC 2 has completely broken subtitles on my machine.

Reverting to VLC1 :(

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Nut Bunnies posted:

Yeah, they're in German. How odd. Is there a way to just make them all English again? Like a button press?

Apparently not, the easiest way is to open the files that are in German (from /System/Library/Services/) with automator and do File->Duplicate then save them to the same location using the English name, then delete the original. Renaming doesn't work because the name is stored separately as a plist inside the file.

My german isn't too great but if you post the ones in German I should be able to tell you what they should be in English!

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 14, 2012

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

duck monster posted:

Hmm. Looks like the RC for VLC 2 has completely broken subtitles on my machine.

Reverting to VLC1 :(

I can't drag a folder into VLC 2 and have it play all the videos inside anymore either. How will I watch Seinfeld on random now? :cry:

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah, I think for the moment the best advice is to give VLC 2 a wide berth until they unfuck it.

I hope they keep maintaining VLC 1 whilst VLC 2 gets its poo poo together. The current RC isnt release ready , despite the name.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Anyone else use AirServer? Have you been able to stream videos from an iPhone 4S without massive stuttering problems? I sure can't and it's driving me crazy. I have a wireless-N router and have tried it on two different Mac Minis and my Mac Pro.

Apple, get off your asses and integrate Airplay into Lion...

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Choadmaster posted:

Apple, get off your asses and integrate Airplay into Lion...

hell yes. They have an API in iOS, why not OSX? I'm stuck using iTunes to play music half the time because there's no support for Airplay in anything else.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Gism0 posted:

hell yes. They have an API in iOS, why not OSX? I'm stuck using iTunes to play music half the time because there's no support for Airplay in anything else.

http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

I find this piece of software to be freaking excellent... buuuuuuuuut total agreement, why the heck isnt it intergrated

Sombrero!
Sep 11, 2001

Anyone know the name of that OSX app that can remove things from pictures yet keep the background intact?

Content aware, or whatever?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sombrero! posted:

Anyone know the name of that OSX app that can remove things from pictures yet keep the background intact?

Content aware, or whatever?

Are you just thinking of Photoshop's content-aware fill?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

There are a few apps on the App Store that do it as well.

Snapheal is the most popular, but I can't say I've ever used any of them besides Photoshop CS5.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Diabolik900 posted:

There's a standalone version from the guy who originally came up with the CAIR algorithm, but the name isn't coming to mind.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ah, never knew there were other apps specifically for that. I already have Photoshop, but it could still be good to know for the future.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Didn't Apple hand off JVM development to Oracle? Is there somewhere I should be going to get newer JVMs?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Small White Dragon posted:

Didn't Apple hand off JVM development to Oracle? Is there somewhere I should be going to get newer JVMs?

Yes, Apple stopped developing the OS X implementation of Java and Oracle picked it up. But Apple still handles distribution.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I'm pretty sure Java is fairly up to do. Update 30 or so?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

vikingstrike posted:

I'm pretty sure Java is fairly up to do. Update 30 or so?

Java 6 is up to update 30, but there's a Java 7 up to about update 4, IIRC. I don't know which Apple uses.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Terpfen posted:

Java 6 is up to update 30, but there's a Java 7 up to about update 4, IIRC. I don't know which Apple uses.

OS X is still in 6 and as far as I'm aware the main Windows installer is too

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

vikingstrike posted:

OS X is still in 6 and as far as I'm aware the main Windows installer is too

I just checked. For Windows, Java 7 update 3 is the most recent version of Java 7, with update 4 in developer testing. And Java 6 is up to update 31.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Anyone else think Safari's performance has gone to poo poo since Lion came out? I'm trying Chrome again and it just drops a big steamy pile on Safari's face. Especially with any page involving lots of animated gifs or Flash.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

UnbornApple posted:

Anyone else think Safari's performance has gone to poo poo since Lion came out? I'm trying Chrome again and it just drops a big steamy pile on Safari's face. Especially with any page involving lots of animated gifs or Flash.
Get ClickToPlugin, if only for the added security.

e: Also, the WebKit nightlies seem pretty fast. I don't really use vanilla Safari, though.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Terpfen posted:

I just checked. For Windows, Java 7 update 3 is the most recent version of Java 7, with update 4 in developer testing. And Java 6 is up to update 31.

There are so many Java updates it's ridiculous to stay up to date. I wonder if Oracle will make Java 7 a 10.8 thing.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
ROFL BRO NOOO WAY U JUST DID THAT :D HAHAH

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 24, 2014

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Grand Perspective, Daisy Disk, etc. There's a number of apps that will show you whats taking up so much space.

If you wind up finding gigs of recovered mailboxes from Mail, that'll be hilarious.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

vikingstrike posted:

There are so many Java updates it's ridiculous to stay up to date. I wonder if Oracle will make Java 7 a 10.8 thing.

10.8 is at least 12 months away, so probably not.

And yeah, there are way too many Java updates. I'm pretty sure they're mostly security updates too, making it doubly silly.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away
Suddenly this started to happen when my computer wakes from sleep. The mouse cursor makes skid marks. A restart fixes it, but after sleeping it's back. Anyone seen something like it?

mongoibur fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 16, 2012

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
From out of freaking nowhere, OSX Mountain Lion!

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/02/16/first-look-os-x-mountain-lion/

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

suddenlyissoon posted:

Oh god, I want it yesterday.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Well that was pretty unexpected.

A year between point releases - Steve wouldn't have allowed that.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
As an iPhone and MacBook Air user, pretty stoked about this, I must say. And just as I was thinking I should get the new Apple TV, too.

The anti-iOS campers are going to poo poo bricks though.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Saw this first on The Verge and my first reaction was to check the date and make sure today actually wasn't April 1st.

Messages app makes me all tingly in my nether regions.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Terpfen posted:

10.8 is at least 12 months away, so probably not.

woops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

suddenlyissoon posted:

Aren't Panthers Mountain Lions?

Maybe they'll call it 'Mac OS X Sabre tooth'

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

Integration between Apple Tv, OS X and iOS is just getting better and better. Airplay mirroring looks really cool. It's funny that Sony have been trying to do this everything connected, entertainment hub thing for over a decade and Apple seem to have done it very easily and very well.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I legitimately thought this was an april fool's joke, but goddamn, I guess this makes up for (maybe) not having Ivy Bridge updates until the summer.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
The iChat upgrade to Messages is exactly what I was looking for.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Freaking Messages for Mac OS X (iMessage) is available for download as a beta... but unfortunately the site is hammered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Their link to the messages beta goes no where... What gives?