Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Arzy posted:

The iChat upgrade to Messages is exactly what I was looking for.

No kidding. I'm extremely excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Unified notification system? I wonder if they'll make it as easy to support as growl. Could be cool.

Wait... Gatekeeper? gently caress, they're starting to turn the desktop into the iOS walled garden and they're straight up calling it Gatekeeper. gently caress you too, Apple.

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

Wait... Gatekeeper? gently caress, they're starting to turn the desktop into the iOS walled garden and they're straight up calling it Gatekeeper. gently caress you too, Apple.
From what I was reading, Gatekeeper is entirely optional and can be turned off.

From Engadget:
There's more flexibility here than in the App Store, thankfully. Users can opt into three security settings, with the most strict allowing only software from the Mac App Store to be installed. The next step down allows software to be installed from anywhere, but all software must be signed as described above. The final option is to open the gates and allow anything to be installed from anywhere.

AirPlay mirroring my MBP to my AppleTV is an instant day one purchase. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Manky posted:

Unified notification system? I wonder if they'll make it as easy to support as growl. Could be cool.

They are making it very clear that Gatekeeper puts you in control of what you install. This is great because on my parent's mac I can set it for App Store only, and on my mac I can set it for wide open.

I hope Gatekeeper settings are per account though.

Edit: This is cool too

quote:

You can even temporarily override your setting by Control-clicking, and install any app at any time.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 16, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

KidDynamite posted:

Their link to the messages beta goes no where... What gives?

The link on Apple's site works:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/messages-beta/

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Direct download link

http://appldnld.apple.com/MessagesBeta/041-4274.20120216.z5km/MessagesBeta.dmg

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

echobucket posted:

They are making it very clear that Gatekeeper puts you in control of what you install. This is great because on my parent's mac I can set it for App Store only, and on my mac I can set it for wide open.

When were you not in control :psyduck:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Manky posted:

They make it seem like it is opt-in, though.

quote:

GateKeeper has three basic options. Allow only Mac App Store apps to be installed; Mac App Store apps and apps signed with a Developer ID; and Anywhere, which allows any app to be installed.

Sounds like a way for people who aren't safe Internet users to protect themselves more than causing nerd rage.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Manky posted:

When were you not in control :psyduck:

I was speaking to the folks who are all "The sky is falling!" over Gatekeeper. Apple isn't going to lock down the mac like iOS and not let you install anything you want.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Messages beta requires 10.7.3, so if anyone is still holding out on that, don't get excited.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Interesting how it's now just called "OS X", no more "Mac".

Kinda sad. :(

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

ZeeBoi posted:

Interesting how it's now just called "OS X", no more "Mac".

Kinda sad. :(

I believe that happened with Lion.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My issue is that I don't see this as a real problem that they're trying to solve. It's a calculated step towards transitioning users to their iOS paradigm.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Manky posted:

My issue is that I don't see this as a real problem that they're trying to solve. It's a calculated step towards transitioning users to their iOS paradigm.

They are getting out ahead of the malware on Mac OS X problem. God if only Windows had something like this.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
I do wish there was a way for the App Store to pick up purchases you made outside of the app store. Especially now that software updates might come through app store in 10.8. I just want everything to update together :(

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

loop insight posted:

For instance, Safari no longer has a search box — you just type your search into the address bar and you will be taken to your favorite search engine results page.

Neato. I think this new yearly release schedule will fundamentally change the way we complain about use Mac OS X.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I really hope they're saving Siri integration for the iPad event. It would be awesome on my iMac.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

echobucket posted:

They are getting out ahead of the malware on Mac OS X problem. God if only Windows had something like this.

I'm not buying the malware argument, really. There's a few reasons why Windows struggles with it more than OS X, and being able to freely install things at the user's whim is not really public enemy one.

Or look at Android - sure it's got the market, but it's a checkbox toggle away from being able to install anything. Despite some emerging industry reports to the contrary, Android malware still isn't really a problem, and you can't make the "small install base, small target" argument that you can for Macs.

I don't know, I get this weird feeling that in a few years Mac users will be strictly separated into Developers and Endusers. Kind of a Brave New World thing.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Manky posted:

I'm not buying the malware argument, really. There's a few reasons why Windows struggles with it more than OS X, and being able to freely install things at the user's whim is not really public enemy one.

Or look at Android - sure it's got the market, but it's a checkbox toggle away from being able to install anything. Despite some emerging industry reports to the contrary, Android malware still isn't really a problem, and you can't make the "small install base, small target" argument that you can for Macs.

I don't know, I get this weird feeling that in a few years Mac users will be strictly separated into Developers and Endusers. Kind of a Brave New World thing.

People have been screaming "slippery slope!" all day. What they fail to consider is that we call it the slippery slope fallacy for a reason. It makes us nervous, sure, but as long as it's an option there's no problem here.

And at the end of the day being able to install arbitrary software without any signing check is a massive way malware gets installed. 0-day downloads only work for so long... it's shocking to see how many users are tricked into downloading Super Ultra Windows 7 Security Suite 2012 from a flashing website that shows them a virus warning. The ability to toss a killswitch blocking downloads -- which is currently baked into Android, btw -- would be a big help.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

The fact that they just came up with this new Gatekeeper level of security means they probably want to maintain the Mac's independence. If they want to go App Store only they don't need to bother with all the certificate stuff.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

UnbornApple posted:

Anyone else think Safari's performance has gone to poo poo since Lion came out? I'm trying Chrome again and it just drops a big steamy pile on Safari's face. Especially with any page involving lots of animated gifs or Flash.

I would enjoy using Chrome personally, but whenever I try on my Lion MBA, the tab content threads end up just freezing -- I can scroll up and down, but that's about it. And then I have to force quit. Console says something about an index error with some sort of MutableRLEArray object (on PC now so I can't copy it) and the problem persists with betas and nightlies. There is some mention of the problem but also a lot of complaints that CHrome just doesn't work so well on Lion. I wish I could use it as it's my go-to browser on Windows and Linux and I miss its behavior and the URL bar :(

Looking forward to Messages; I was quite frustrated at the lack of integration across iChat/iMessages on iOS/FaceTime. I wouldn't mind a Windows client just so I can use it as a full-time alternative to Gtalk either.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

asaf posted:

I would enjoy using Chrome personally, but whenever I try on my Lion MBA, the tab content threads end up just freezing -- I can scroll up and down, but that's about it. And then I have to force quit. Console says something about an index error with some sort of MutableRLEArray object (on PC now so I can't copy it) and the problem persists with betas and nightlies. There is some mention of the problem but also a lot of complaints that CHrome just doesn't work so well on Lion. I wish I could use it as it's my go-to browser on Windows and Linux and I miss its behavior and the URL bar :(

Looking forward to Messages; I was quite frustrated at the lack of integration across iChat/iMessages on iOS/FaceTime.

My upgraded Snow Leopard to Lion MBP has all sorts of issues with Chrome. I had to switch to the Beta to get it to work at one time and I still get crashes like crazy anytime Apple does an update. However, on my work iMac which came with Lion I have had absolutely zero issues.

I ended up going back to Firefox, reluctantly, because of all of the issues.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I was another one of those is this a really early April's fools joke when I saw the articles but when I actually read the Verge one I was pretty happy it wasn't a joke. Funny cause I remember telling my friend AirPlay would own if it was on the laptops. May have to finally get an apple tv and stop waiting for them to come out with an A5 update.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I'm almost tempted to bust out my exceedingly rusty programming abilities and see if I could even get a handle on what a solution might be. If Chrome is anything like I remember it to be a few years ago, however, the codebase is a monster to navigate and compile. Maybe some weekend...

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Eh, maybe you guys are right. I am overreacting. The developer signing thing could actually be a tremendous move, as it would eliminate some paranoia from downloading apps from independent developers unwilling to use the MAS. That could be a real boon, I look forward to reading some dev blogs when the story matures.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Manky posted:

Eh, maybe you guys are right. I am overreacting. The developer signing thing could actually be a tremendous move, as it would eliminate some paranoia from downloading apps from independent developers unwilling to use the MAS. That could be a real boon, I look forward to reading some dev blogs when the story matures.
Developer signing is nothing new. Microsoft has been doing it for ages now, and while it does help with some of the malware, it's not a panacea. This new option in 'Gatekeeper' is really just a way to secure the system (somewhat) against users who click on "JOES lovely poo poo SHACK OF MALWARE" and get some DMG or Zip of malware. We've seen that the methods used on Windows to get users to launch poo poo is pretty much the same everywhere, this just out and out prevents app bundles from straight-up exploding without notification.

I'd really like to see ClamAV run as a background service and do random scans while the machine is idle, and scan items that are being 'run'. I mean, they include it with Server (last I checked, anyway), it'd go a long way toward preventing malware and the spread of malicious code to other users (by way of transferring Windows viruses).

10.8 looks to be another 10.6 upgrade, which I don't think is a bad thing.

eames
May 9, 2009

I wonder if 10.8 will be another $25 upgrade or if they’ll make it free, just to spite Microsoft.

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
In some of my readings this morning, they claim that signing certs will be available for free, aka without the $100 OS X dev membership. If that's the case there's nothing to be terribly concerned about, and for most people the moderate-level 'only install signed apps' option will be protection enough.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

I wonder if 10.8 will be another $25 upgrade or if they’ll make it free, just to spite Microsoft.

In a perfect world, Apple would get their users to upgrade by selling them a new computer, but I guess selling the new OS for 30 bucks will have to do.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I believe under Sarbanes-Oxley, they can't give it away.. SOX laws prohibit a publicly traded company from giving away (or just letting you have it for free) an unadvertised new feature on a product you already paid for.

Apple could do it, but would be forced to go through a special kind of accounting hell at the end of the fiscal year to justify it.

So most likely $29-49 it is. (With all the work and man hours going into it I don't think it'll be just $29.)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would give Apple $50/year to use my computer and not even bat an eye. I mean I don't HAVE to, but I would.

iMessages beta, I will have you soon!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Someone posted a direct download of the dmg. I'm using it right now. I like it a lot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"For instance, Safari no longer has a search box — you just type your search into the address bar and you will be taken to your favorite search engine results page. I’ve been finding little things like that throughout Mountain Lion for the last week."

Oh god I want it. I mean I have that now but the SIMBL plugin makes me feel uneasy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Binary Badger posted:

I believe under Sarbanes-Oxley, they can't give it away.. SOX laws prohibit a publicly traded company from giving away (or just letting you have it for free) an unadvertised new feature on a product you already paid for.

Apple could do it, but would be forced to go through a special kind of accounting hell at the end of the fiscal year to justify it.

So most likely $29-49 it is. (With all the work and man hours going into it I don't think it'll be just $29.)

As I understand it, that was more a problem with things like enabling 802.11n functionality that was already in the computer but not activated or advertised.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Good lord, just having access to my iMessages friends on my desktop has made my week. This is the greatest surprise thing! Has anyone tried FaceTime with an iOS device yet? I don't have a camera on this desktop but am supremely curious.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

unruly posted:

Developer signing is nothing new. Microsoft has been doing it for ages now, and while it does help with some of the malware, it's not a panacea. This new option in 'Gatekeeper' is really just a way to secure the system (somewhat) against users who click on "JOES lovely poo poo SHACK OF MALWARE" and get some DMG or Zip of malware. We've seen that the methods used on Windows to get users to launch poo poo is pretty much the same everywhere, this just out and out prevents app bundles from straight-up exploding without notification.

I'll admit to basically total ignorance in terms of how MS dev signing works, but if for OS X it's tied to an Apple account, wouldn't that make it more unlikely for it to be misused? Even if Apple doesn't require serious verification, it should be easy to trace/blacklist stuff as it goes through their system.

It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if, with those gatekeeper settings, the first time you launched a non-mas, dev-signed app, it checked online (or a regularly updated local database) for the validity of the certificate. If it's flagged, it could warn the user. I don't know.

The approach Apple is taking to policing their ecosystem is interesting. On Windows, the burden is really on the user, and the best weapon is being informed of how to avoid risky behavior. Something bad happens, sure windows sucks herp derp, but it's still kind of onthe user. The way Apple is taking things out of the hands of users is - good, probably, since ideally one company can be much more effective by itself than the collective efforts of a mostly apathetic consumer base. But that's still a big responsibility, because in the future, if something goes wrong, people will blame Apple for telling them not to worry about it.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

Someone posted a direct download of the dmg. I'm using it right now. I like it a lot.

Just a note from playing around with this for a few minutes.

If your contact sends the message to your phone number it will only go to your phone, regardless of the fact it displays as using imessage on the phone. They must use your apple id email address for it to send to both the phone and your message client.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Even with all the hatred I have for 10.7 (Mac OS X Vista), I'm liking the iOS stuff more and more. Mac OS X 10.8 may be what finally gets Mac into everyone's home.

iOS, iPhones, and iPads have really made an impact, and having all that fun on a computer is just nuts. iMessage, Notes, Game Center? Yes please!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I LOVE the iOS stuff. Notes is going to make me ditch stickies (and evernote which I tried to integrate into my thing but never ended up liking). Notification Ctr. should be nice but I'm not as excited about that as I could be. I don't really care about Game Centre at all. I love the integration we're seeing though.

Right now all I really want is for them to separate the iOS App Store out of iTunes and make it its own thing. Any time I have to do anything with iTunes which involves my iPad it's usually a laggy mess. I prefer to just manage my iPad from itself now that I can in iOS5, but sometimes it's still inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I hope Gatekeeper isn't going to be a pain for developers. I have a feeling that it's Apples way of forcing developers to push there programs through the App Store, which worries me.