Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah but Kraft Mac can be easily made in five or six minutes total, using the microwave. No idea why people bother with the stove if it's just Kraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

with this bracken for a blanket, where these limbs stick out like bones
Hooray for local awesome cheap butcher!
2 lbs ground elk
1 lb duck tenderloins (!)
1 lb berkshire pork linguisa
1.3 lbs Oregon country natural beef hanger steak
$24
:3

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Only $24? :stare:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Omfg,tell me where this butcher is so I can move there and give myself a heart attack through cheap meat that actually sounds good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That works out to $4.53/lb combined, which would be a bit high for our area (though admittedly we don't get duck at the butcher because so many people give away the ones they shoot there's no market for it).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
The gently caress is a duck tenderloin?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Where the hell do you two live? 4.53/lb for elk and duck around here means there's chestbursters in the meat or it's a going out of business sale.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

Wait, what? My quick n dirty mac n cheese (bechamel plus cheese plus pasta) sauce cooks in the same amount of time that the pasta does. It may not be as silky as the roux sauce in a 3-hour beef stew, but it'll do in a hurry.

Roux-thickened sauces taste like flour if you don't cook them for 20 minutes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

20 minutes? 10-12 for a blonde roux, which doesnt taste like flour at all.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

20 minutes? 10-12 for a blonde roux, which doesnt taste like flour at all.

Sorry you don't know what flour tastes like I guess. Next time you make a roux-thickened sauce, pull some of it off after 10 minutes and the rest after 20-30 and compare them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

Sorry you don't know what flour tastes like I guess. Next time you make a roux-thickened sauce, pull some of it off after 10 minutes and the rest after 20-30 and compare them.

I guess not... I have always gone 12 minutes on the roux and then moved on with the sauce. Never had any complaints. I will try taking longer next time.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Daeren posted:

Where the hell do you two live? 4.53/lb for elk and duck around here means there's chestbursters in the meat or it's a going out of business sale.

Well like I said duck is given away here in the great open wilds of Nevada and elk goes for the same price as beef and venison, so usually in the $2-3 per pound range depending on cut etc. That's at a butcher, though. You can still pay silly amounts of money on red died industrial meat at the supermarket if you want. And Whole Foods will charge double what the supermarkets charge. The secret, really, is buying from good local butchers like kiteless is doing, or raising your own which is really the best thing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I guess not... I have always gone 12 minutes on the roux and then moved on with the sauce. Never had any complaints. I will try taking longer next time.

Oh! This includes the sauce-cooking time. You need to cook the flour and fat for about 20 minutes total. Simmering the sauce for ten minutes will do it.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

I'll give this a shot because I'm curious, but I'm not buying it. Possibility: as a personal preference I tend to take my roux a couple shades past blonde, even for white sauce. Maybe that's cooking the flour sufficiently that I don't have to simmer at as long.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Iron Chef Ricola posted:

What? Everything I've read says 2-3 minutes is sufficient.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Butcher was trying to make room for new stuff, so he had a fire sale on the elk ($3/lb; ground and frozen) and $2/lb on the sausage. Everything else is just reasonably priced.

Duck tenderloin is like a chicken tender(loin), apparently. There are a whole bunch in the bag to make up 1 lb.

Edit: Seattle area, and food is not cheap here. Grocery stores regularly sell bonelesss skinless chix breasts and flank steak for $10/lb, not that I buy them.

kiteless fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2012

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

What? Everything I've read says 2-3 minutes is sufficient.

To thicken, not to get rid of the taste. The time spent making the roux counts towards this time too.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Is that the long muscle under the breast that you use to make the mousseline for a roulade?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
every time I read this thread title, I read it as 'new thread putrification time'

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mindphlux posted:

every time I read this thread title, I read it as 'new thread putrification time'

Taint chat.... Your version is more correct.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dino. posted:

Thanks for the kind words about the book! There were some lovely 1-star reviews that said that apparently, a vegan book shouldn't discourage eating animal products. I guess they missed the big honking VEGAN right there on the cover. >_<

Also, apparently I have to sound like a loving robot when I write recipes. Any personality or chatting is horrible writing.

God I hate people sometimes.

Can I have a link to the book page on amazon?I know it's been posted in the past but not sure when.

EVG fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 17, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kiteless, did you ever make that marmalade? If so, did it turn out or did you like it? We were hoping for some feedback.

kiteless
Aug 31, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Kiteless, did you ever make that marmalade? If so, did it turn out or did you like it? We were hoping for some feedback.

I really wanted to, but I got so stupid loving busy before Xmas I barely made presents and stuff in time. And I'm still crazy busy now. It's like the neverending storm of poo poo to do. Sorry :(

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)
I made a bunch of marmalade and everyone told me to cut the peel finer.
What is your secret? Mine is to ignore the complaints.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Rule .303 posted:

I made a bunch of marmalade and everyone told me to cut the peel finer.
What is your secret?
To cut the peel finer.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
To fine the cut peeler?
To cut the fine peeler
To peel the fine cut?
Peel to the cut fine?
Cut the fine to peel?

The glory of disaster is that it also destroys our failures; we can start anew.
Except with marmalade. There we have to give it away to relatives we never really liked since gradeschool.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rule .303 posted:

To fine the cut peeler?
To cut the fine peeler
To peel the fine cut?
Peel to the cut fine?
Cut the fine to peel?

The glory of disaster is that it also destroys our failures; we can start anew.
Except with marmalade. There we have to give it away to relatives we never really liked since gradeschool.
To finer cut the peel. :colbert:

I never liked the stuff anyway. Tasted too much of peel. Don't eat the peel when I eat an orange; not going to start eating it in jam.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 17, 2012

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
But candied orange peel

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

But candied orange peel

TASTES LIKE PEEL.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

SEE ALSO: Assholes who are inconsistent. Honey is loving not vegan.

Don't be so black and white, this is something that vegans do argue about. Veggie Cuddler Girl actually bakes with honey, but she knows better then to say that on her blog, lest she start a vegan blog war.

There is no medical reason for veganism, it's a moral choice made of conscious. And therefore, inherently subjective. If you are bothered by exploitation of animals, what happens to cows at industrial milk farms is in a different league from commercial bee keeping. We need bees to fertilize our food crops anyway, so it's not like you are avoiding the exploitation of bees just by not eating honey. Plus, local honey is really good for you.

But hey, if your take on veganism precludes honey... then don't eat it! Whatever works for you, man. People should be able to eat what ever they hell they want without having to justify it to anyone else.

Phummus posted:

I got my cpap about 6 months ago and use it every night.

:hfive: CPAP brother. Impressive that you got used to it so fast, it took me a very long time to be comfortable sleeping with it. I don't sleep without it now, not even naps. Sleeping through the night is a beautiful thing, eh?

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Squashy Nipples posted:

:hfive: CPAP brother. Impressive that you got used to it so fast, it took me a very long time to be comfortable sleeping with it. I don't sleep without it now, not even naps. Sleeping through the night is a beautiful thing, eh?

I got used to it in about a week. I think the fact that my schedule puts me in bed at about 11 and up again at 5 probably helped me adjust. Just too drat tired to wake up.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

therattle posted:

To finer cut the peel. :colbert:

I never liked the stuff anyway. Tasted too much of peel. Don't eat the peel when I eat an orange; not going to start eating it in jam.
Marmalade is hit or miss for me. One of my friends sent me a jar of blood orange marmalade for Christmas, and it's spectacular. Most commercial brands either have too much pith or are oversweetened.

Mư’t Tă‘c, on the other hand, are loving delicious.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

But hey, if your take on veganism precludes honey... then don't eat it! Whatever works for you, man. People should be able to eat what ever they hell they want without having to justify it to anyone else.

You must deal with different vegans than I do. I deal with the ones that aren't just in it for a personal choice, they act like they have the moral superiority to dictate my choice too.

'cause youknow, I'm too stupid to choose my own food, feed myself and take care of any medical needs. If they were Baptists they'd be the ones that'd make blue laws and watch to see who doesn't go tot church on Wednesday.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 17, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

EVG posted:

Can I have a link to the book page on amazon?I know it's been posted in the past but not sure when.

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083

There you go, EVG. I'm not sure why the Kindle edition is priced almost the same as the print edition. Odd.

In a totally unrelated note, the chattists may remember that I left my Kindle on a subway on Tuesday. I filled out the MTA online lost and found thing. I got an email last night, saying that something with my name has been turned in, and to please come retrieve it. I have my kindle back.

Words fail me. Seriously.

dino. fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 17, 2012

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

dino. posted:

In a totally unrelated note, the chattists may remember that I left my Kindle on a subway on Tuesday. I filled out the MTA online lost and found thing. I got an email last night, saying that something with my name has been turned in, and to please come retrieve it. I have my kindle back.

As amazing and heartening that is, I have to wonder if you would have gotten a more popular electronic item back. Say, an iPad or something.

Still, faith in humanity restored.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pnumoman posted:

As amazing and heartening that is, I have to wonder if you would have gotten a more popular electronic item back. Say, an iPad or something.

Still, faith in humanity restored.
I know for a fact that the person who picked it up tried to keep it as their own. I keep in a case, where when I open it, the kindle is stored upside down, because I hate pressing the power button found on the bottom of the device. What do you know, when I have it back, it was right-side-up. Also, when I got home, the thing was deregistered already. I think I got it back, because Puppy called Amazon, and had them deactivate the thing, and essentially make it impossible for anyone except for me to use it.

I think it's mainly the fact that it was more or less turned into a doorstop, with a bunch of really bad smutty romance novels, Mercedes Lackey, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony, and other various cookery books in that made them return it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Vegan-International-Straight-Produce/dp/1604865083

There you go, EVG. I'm not sure why the Kindle edition is priced almost the same as the print edition. Odd.

I believe it's called karma. My cellphone fell out of my pocket on the tube once. I went home and called it, sure that I'd get it back, as I'd be sure to try and return it to somebody if I found theirs. After a while someone answered - a station staff member to whom somebody had handed it in. Many people are honest.

Rule .303, I hear you, but I think what you are saying is that any movement attracts people who are into a fundamentalist, self-righteous way of doing things, and the more extreme the movement, the higher the proportion of those assholes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah, I have left my iPad all over the place and always gotten it back; I'm just a bit absent-minded. A few weeks ago I left it sitting on top of the self-checkouts at Home Depot - mind you, I remembered like 15 minutes later and went and got it, but the staff had already looked through it to try and call me, and then went and locked it up when someone turned it in.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

dino. posted:

I know for a fact that the person who picked it up tried to keep it as their own. I keep in a case, where when I open it, the kindle is stored upside down, because I hate pressing the power button found on the bottom of the device. What do you know, when I have it back, it was right-side-up. Also, when I got home, the thing was deregistered already. I think I got it back, because Puppy called Amazon, and had them deactivate the thing, and essentially make it impossible for anyone except for me to use it.

I think it's mainly the fact that it was more or less turned into a doorstop, with a bunch of really bad smutty romance novels, Mercedes Lackey, Terry Pratchett, Piers Anthony, and other various cookery books in that made them return it.

Well then. At least you got it back, so that's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

pnumoman posted:

Well then. At least you got it back, so that's good.
I am totally looking at it that way. It's a huge relief. My boss was letting me use his kindle in the meanwhile, because he's a sweet man who just works like that. <3 He was doing most of his kindle reading on his iphone/ipad anyway, so he didn't mind. I'm really lucky to have gotten it back so /fast/. I thought I'd never see it again. That was one awful night.