Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Toady posted:

The DS came out before the iPhone popularized touch screens and gestures. A stylus is an increasingly niche input method these days.

Writing with your finger instead of an implement is a sure way to get an RSI, unless you're only doing it occasionally, in which case you don't care about your blobby text or carpal tunnel.

I don't think that mouses, touchpads and styli are quite in the dustbin of history, especially for content creators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Toady posted:

The DS came out before the iPhone popularized touch screens and gestures. A stylus is an increasingly niche input method these days.

The first DS came with a strap with a plastic bump that you could loop around your finger for more precise input, and many games could play just fine with a finger. I'm pretty sure the stylus was given mainly for drawing or typing on the virtual keyboard. The move to capacitive screens is really what helped get rid of the stylus for normal usage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Resistive screens work fine with a finger. They can only take one input, though, which is a bigger limiter.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Endless Mike posted:

Resistive screens work fine with a finger. They can only take one input, though, which is a bigger limiter.

They also require pressure, which makes accuracy more difficult.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Toady posted:

You're right that it's incredibly niche, but it still has a purpose for some people and in some fields so it's not useless to everyone. And it's not like we're talking about a plastic stick and a resistive touchscreen here. This isn't Windows Mobile from 2003.

Not everything has to be pitched to the largest possible audience. Most people don't need Wacom tablets either, but that doesn't stop them from being useful for those who do.

Samsung's advertising for it is dumb as hell, though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Samsung makes about a trillion different phones and tablets, of which very few have a stylus. This is a key difference between Samsung and Apple - every product Apple releases is fairly significant while Samsung fires out variation after variation most of which are forgotten immediately.

Suggesting that they're becoming reliant on a stylus is pretty dumb at this point.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Aw poo poo, wrong thread, I blame SALR. Sorry.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 16, 2012

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

I don't think that mouses, touchpads and styli are quite in the dustbin of history, especially for content creators.

Content creation is a specialized need. Graphic artists need drawing tablets; construction workers need dump trucks. But the stylus is drastically more niche compared to the mouse and trackpad. iPads now outsell desktop PCs--the era of the stylus is clearly over.

(Also, "styli" but not "mice"? :) )

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008
If i couldnt use a stylus to write on a tablet i'd ditch the whole thing. Writing with a finger? No thanks my handwriting is awful enough as it is.

What tablets need is the ability to tell when a palm or fist is resting on screen and disable the touch portion of the screen in that area so i can rest my hand on the screen and write naturally.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Toady posted:

Content creation is a specialized need. Graphic artists need drawing tablets; construction workers need dump trucks. But the stylus is drastically more niche compared to the mouse and trackpad. iPads now outsell desktop PCs--the era of the stylus is clearly over.

iPads outsold PC's in the fourth quarter of 2012, therefore I shouldn't count on being able to get a tablet with a stylus-based digitizer? I don't follow.
If a stylus is super-niche, then why are there at least a half-dozen different models mixed in with the other iPad accessories at any given store?
People have preferences that differ from yours. Stop getting cranky about it.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Resistive screens work fine with a finger.

No they don't.

Have you forgotten how awful resistive touch screens were?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

My Linux Rig posted:

No they don't.

Have you forgotten how awful resistive touch screens were?

They aren't nearly as good as Capacitive obviously, but I never used the stylus with my Touch Pro or Touch Pro2. They were resistive, but they were sensitive enough that you could use your finger on them.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Kynetx posted:

iPads outsold PC's in the fourth quarter of 2012, therefore I shouldn't count on being able to get a tablet with a stylus-based digitizer? I don't follow.
If a stylus is super-niche, then why are there at least a half-dozen different models mixed in with the other iPad accessories at any given store?

The stylus isn't popular anymore (if it ever truly was). Touch input devices are outselling traditional mouse-and-keyboard desktops.

Surely you don't actually believe styluses are a popular iPad accessory.

quote:

People have preferences that differ from yours. Stop getting cranky about it.

Huh?

Toady fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 16, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Toady posted:

Surely you don't actually believe styluses are a popular iPad accessory.

They are reasonably popular, widely available and cheap so people do buy them.

Whether or not they're useful is another matter, screen protectors are even more popular and probably more useless.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

They're widely available because they're cheap to make, so cheap that you can make your own using a pen, paperclip, and sponge.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Toady posted:

Styli aren't popular and have always been either a tool of necessity for substandard interfaces or a requirement for content creators (and not just graphic artists but people who want to write longhand without getting tendonitis in their finger). You state yourself in a later post that they aren't and were never popular, which means your whole lather about them is purely for the purpose of creating some thing to be critical of. It's typical troll behavior to create this sort of false dichotomy and then watch as people say, "Well, you know, X is useful for Y." and then you treat it like they're defending your entirely made up position that "A stylus is good and necessary for all tablet interactions!"

And the plural of electronic mouse is mouses while the plural of stylus is styli--I would have thought a pedantic sperg like you would have known that.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

They aren't nearly as good as Capacitive obviously, but I never used the stylus with my Touch Pro or Touch Pro2. They were resistive, but they were sensitive enough that you could use your finger on them.
Yeah I had one too and using your finger on it was horribly bad

Seriously have you forgotten or something or did you seriously think it was actually acceptable?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I'm still not sure why catering to a niche is a bad thing. It's not like the majority isn't already well taken care of with tons of other products, why is it ridiculous to make a product that might not reach as large an audience but still has utility for a certain subset of people and industries?

A tablet that allows for accurate stylus-based input (ie, not just a resistive screen with a stick or a capacitive screen with a stick and a sponge on the end) is a very niche product. "Very niche" is not synonymous with "bad and useless."

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Toady posted:

They're widely available because they're cheap to make, so cheap that you can make your own using a pen, paperclip, and sponge.
Or a SlimJim.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

hotsauce posted:

I've never encountered an issue with someone not receiving a delivery confirmation package, but I've always wondered...what do you do if (Asus) says they don't have it? Do you just read the delivery confirmation over and over and tell them "I KNOW IT'S THERE IT SAYS SO HERE."

Just curious if you have any recourse at all. I've always thought not...

I can kind of chime in on this. I had an Asus netbook when they were new. It broke after like 3 months. I shipped it to Asus, and a few days later they send me an e-mail saying "you sent us an empty cardboard box". I explained to them "uh, no I didn't, in fact I still have the receipt from the post office saying I shipped you something weighing 10 pounds". They asked me to fax them the receipt, and they said they'd process the RMA as normal.

About a day later the same person calls me and says, literally, "we changed our mind, this item was stolen and we're not processing any return". So yeah, delivery confirmation means fuckall if someone just wants to steal your poo poo and claim the box was tampered with. This way, the delivery confirmation would be valid, but they still get to gently caress you. :thumbsup:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

My Linux Rig posted:

Yeah I had one too and using your finger on it was horribly bad

Seriously have you forgotten or something or did you seriously think it was actually acceptable?

Please stop. We get that anything you don't enjoy using is an absolute abomination. Let's move on.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
HTC Flyers are going for 199 today on buy.com according to Android and Me. That's a decent price I suppose though the specs aren't great.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
And Asus just announced that ICS on the original Transformer has been pushed back to ~March... hopefully.

In my RSS feed, that article was followed up by a rumor that Jelly Bean will be announced and "launched" in the second quarter of this year... awesome. I like updates as much as the next guy. But when they come out but don't actually get pushed out by the manufactures... well gently caress that's just annoying.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I'm sure they'll announce Jelly Bean at IO but I would be shocked if they actually release it in Q2.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Meanwhile, on Gingerbread...

boydx
Feb 25, 2006

No school like the old school.
Does anyone have an idea when ICS will be released for the UK Wifi Xoom?

jc821
Dec 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How can these manufacturers not get their poo poo together with ICS but the 3GS can run iOS 5? The way this is going 90% of Android devices will still be running 2.3 in 2015.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rotaryfun posted:

And Asus just announced that ICS on the original Transformer has been pushed back to ~March... hopefully.

In my RSS feed, that article was followed up by a rumor that Jelly Bean will be announced and "launched" in the second quarter of this year... awesome. I like updates as much as the next guy. But when they come out but don't actually get pushed out by the manufactures... well gently caress that's just annoying.

Atleast the prime should get a timely update to jelly bean.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

jc821 posted:

How can these manufacturers not get their poo poo together with ICS but the 3GS can run iOS 5? The way this is going 90% of Android devices will still be running 2.3 in 2015.

Because Apple controls all the hardware. Realistically, they have maybe 5 devices they need to target. In the OS world that's a piece of cake. They also make money on app sales, which means they have a vested interest in supporting users after the phone is sold.

Android, on the other hand, is the wild west. Every single device out there is different. Different storage space, different processor, different screen size, different wifi/cell hardware. That alone makes it difficult. Additionally, Android phone makers make their money off of selling devices. So it's in their best interests to make the hardware as cheap as possible to keep margins high, AND it's also in their best interest to make you want to buy a new device as often as possible.

And to help spread the blame, device makers don't have any control or direct knowledge of what google will do in new builds. ICS requires more boot partition than your device has? *shrug* sucks to be you. Additionally, new Android releases are usually optimized for a single device/line of devices, and its up to the hardware vendors to make it work for other hardware.

Android's "open" nature means the current state of affairs is how it will probably always be.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2012

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there an aftermarket power charger that works with the OG Transformer? Mine's pretty much poo poo the bed. I thought there was some sort of electronic safety switch in the OEM charger that kept it from putting out too much power and I'm worried that the Transformer won't pull the charge it needs from just any old random one.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Uthor posted:

Is there an aftermarket power charger that works with the OG Transformer? Mine's pretty much poo poo the bed. I thought there was some sort of electronic safety switch in the OEM charger that kept it from putting out too much power and I'm worried that the Transformer won't pull the charge it needs from just any old random one.

The problem with the transformer is its a goofy rear end 15v charger. Some people have cut up and modified generic laptop chargers to work, on xda.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

TildeATH posted:

Styli aren't popular and have always been either a tool of necessity for substandard interfaces or a requirement for content creators (and not just graphic artists but people who want to write longhand without getting tendonitis in their finger). You state yourself in a later post that they aren't and were never popular, which means your whole lather about them is purely for the purpose of creating some thing to be critical of. It's typical troll behavior to create this sort of false dichotomy and then watch as people say, "Well, you know, X is useful for Y." and then you treat it like they're defending your entirely made up position that "A stylus is good and necessary for all tablet interactions!"

Someone posted that stylus support was a make-or-break factor in their next tablet purchase. Naturally, the conversation led into the relevance of styluses, which is a topic right now because of the Samsung Note. I simply responded to claims about their popularity that were citing the Nintendo DS and the existence of iPad styluses at Walmart.

quote:

And the plural of electronic mouse is mouses while the plural of stylus is styli--I would have thought a pedantic sperg like you would have known that.

"Mice" and "styluses" are correct and also more conventional. I was just teasing.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Crackbone posted:

Because Apple controls all the hardware. Realistically, they have maybe 5 devices they need to target. In the OS world that's a piece of cake. They also make money on app sales, which means they have a vested interest in supporting users after the phone is sold.

Android, on the other hand, is the wild west. Every single device out there is different. Different storage space, different processor, different screen size, different wifi/cell hardware. That alone makes it difficult. Additionally, Android phone makers make their money off of selling devices. So it's in their best interests to make the hardware as cheap as possible to keep margins high, AND it's also in their best interest to make you want to buy a new device as often as possible.

And to help spread the blame, device makers don't have any control or direct knowledge of what google will do in new builds. ICS requires more boot partition than your device has? *shrug* sucks to be you. Additionally, new Android releases are usually optimized for a single device/line of devices, and its up to the hardware vendors to make it work for other hardware.

Android's "open" nature means the current state of affairs is how it will probably always be.
It would be nice if there was a standard set of hardware so it could be more like PCs: Variety of hardware, yet still able to get the latest version of Windows (or Linux) in a timely manner.

Unfortunately Google and OEMs have absolutely no reason to do this.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The Merkinman posted:

It would be nice if there was a standard set of hardware so it could be more like PCs: Variety of hardware, yet still able to get the latest version of Windows (or Linux) in a timely manner.

Unfortunately Google and OEMs have absolutely no reason to do this.

Like windows phone?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Are there any good Windows phones for running Android on? :ohdear:

jc821 posted:

I think this comparison is silly, because iOS 5 runs on the 3GS about as well as ICS runs on the OG Droid: with severely impaired functionality.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Splizwarf posted:

I think this comparison is silly, because iOS 5 runs on the 3GS about as well as ICS runs on the OG Droid: with severely impaired functionality.

this is entirely false.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Don Lapre posted:

The problem with the transformer is its a goofy rear end 15v charger. Some people have cut up and modified generic laptop chargers to work, on xda.

Well, poo poo. I'm not gonna do that. Guess I'll look for a new OEM one.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jc821 posted:

To add to what was said earlier - they're hardware manufacturers. Software porting isn't where they make their money or where most of their work is, so they've got a few random dudes working for them who do the initial port and then the ports of updated versions of Android. Apple, on the other hand, both make the hardware and have the guys who wrote iOS working for them. Much handier if some problem crops up during porting or whatever.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

El Duke posted:

this is entirely false.

You mean ICS runs without any functionality issues on the OG Droid? Because that'd be cool, in which case you're right, that's not a fair comparison on my part, although it doesn't hurt the point I was trying to make about what jc821 said. Last time I read about the OG, I thought there were still a lot of issues, mostly because of a lack of space. v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Splizwarf posted:

You mean ICS runs without any functionality issues on the OG Droid? Because that'd be cool, in which case you're right, that's not a fair comparison on my part, although it doesn't hurt the point I was trying to make about what jc821 said. Last time I read about that, I thought there were still a lot of issues. v:shobon:v

No. The 3GS runs iOS5 fine. In many cases it runs better than it did on 4.3. The OG Droid is still poo poo.