Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
I'm gonna try a bastard rejuvenation.. Do you remember the Ebonite reviver?
It used a dome and an absorbent to wick oil out. Time to visit the pool supply store...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
653 tonight. Clean series and a points sweep for the team. Back in first place, too. I don't know whats up with the lanes where I bowl but it was like a soup out there, took a few games to dry up the oil to get a good line.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
237 - 199 - 176 tonight. Had a great first game, but I left a pocket 7-10 in the third frame of the second, which threw me off for a bit. I recovered, until the first shot of the 10th, which was a perfect pocket hit and I left the enemy of all right-handed bowlers, the solid 8 pin. I picked it up, but threw the next shot too high and left a 4-7.

Then, since I have a history of loving up the third game, I went ahead and left/missed a bucket in the second frame, left a Greek church in the 5th and a 5-7 in the 8th.

I'm really excited, though, because we happened to be bowling our crosstown rivals, who were 8 points ahead of us in the standings going in. But we beat them 31 - 14 to take back first. On that note, I feel bad for one of their players. He gets the first 8 in a row and loses his game, because the player on our team got the last 9 in a row. His handicap was high enough that he would have won...if he didn't leave a 6-7-10 on his first shot in the 10th. I always feel bad when someone bowls like 60 pins over average and loses anyway.

Lastly, the fact that our league does 45 points per night never bothered me until this thread made me realize that other leagues do things a lot more simply.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
279-270-223 = 772 :(

I'll never get my 800. Lost it in the 7th frame of game 3. Team swept points for the second week in a row though :)

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
235-202-190 for my 4th 600 series ever. I really wanted to get 200 in the last game to go all 200s for the first time.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Thom P. Tiers posted:

279-270-223 = 772 :(

I'll never get my 800. Lost it in the 7th frame of game 3. Team swept points for the second week in a row though :)

Good bowling regardless. Don't give up on the 800. I've seen some pretty old dudes shoot 800.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

toenut posted:

235-202-190 for my 4th 600 series ever. I really wanted to get 200 in the last game to go all 200s for the first time.

Good job man! :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
190-251-245 for a 686. Totally boned myself on the first game. Was clean up until the 10th, then went 0-2... Are you kidding me?!

High scratch series in the league thus far this season is a 707. I could have beaten that and gotten my first 700 series. Oh well, glad I finally got my 250 game.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Backends were flying tonight and I showed up late and started with the wrong ball. First four frames were a lucky strike through the nose followed by three straight splits through the nose. Switched to my V2 Pearl in the fifth frame and actually rocked poo poo the rest of the night. Haven't had a chance to throw that ball in a while and it always feels good.

Went 214 (3 opens!) - 245 - 236 for a 695. If I had switched earlier or started with a different ball I think I'm at a very high 700 for the night.

Annnnnnnd we still only took 9/27 from the first place team. They really put a hurting on us and we're going to need some outside help if we want to win the league now. Also need my brother to stop shooting 120s. Yeah, the no 120s thing would help.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Goddamn it's hard to see some of these scores when I'm busting my rear end trying to grind out 200s. I haven't even hit a 800 series (for 4 games) during the season. gently caress y'all and your wall shots.

(I'm bowling a house shot league during the summer. I'm a sucker.)

Anyway, I got invited to bowl a NEBA (New England Bowling Association) tournament this Sunday. It's basically one step below PBA regionals and had a bunch of amazing bowlers so I'm not even thinking about cashing, just going for the experience. Hopefully I don't make a total fool of myself.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
279-205-212 698 ... FFFFUUUU There's that space of 8 to 12 frames when I'm just lost and can't adjust quick enough

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Critical posted:

Goddamn it's hard to see some of these scores when I'm busting my rear end trying to grind out 200s. I haven't even hit a 800 series (for 4 games) during the season. gently caress y'all and your wall shots.

If it makes you feel any better, I bowled on sport shots in college for four years and while it was tons of fun, I feel your frustration. I was able to carry a 195 average though, which I was pretty happy with. I would jump at getting in a fall-winter sport shot league around here, but all the old fogies stick to their 230 averages on the cake house shots around here, it's really frustrating. I do bowl at the "toughest" house shot in my city, at least. There is a place that literally just pumps out 300's and 800's week in and week out. A team just set the 5-man city record for team game on Monday with a 1379. I hate that place.

On the other hand, watching all the old fogies go out to nationals and come back with 500's or low 600's is really fun.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah the summer sport league I bowl in knocks a good 30-40 pins off my average depending on what shot we're using. I'm also just under a 190 lifetime average in the ABC/USBC Open. It's good to get knocked down to reality sometimes.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

the summer sport league

This is the only time I have a chance to bowl in sport leagues. I hate bowling in the summer when I can be doing things outside, so I don't do them. Why can't people just want to bowl sport shots in the fall leagues :(

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I've tried to set one up a few times to no avail. People like shooting 230s and that's why the shots keep getting easier and the balls keep getting dumber.

Now that the PBA animal patterns are back for public use I thought about doing a one ball doubles league on the Cheetah this summer. We'd punch up a Storm Natural Pearl for everyone and that's the only ball they could use. Sounds fun to me but I don't know if I'll get any interest.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Devo posted:

Now that the PBA animal patterns are back for public use I thought about doing a one ball doubles league on the Cheetah this summer. We'd punch up a Storm Natural Pearl for everyone and that's the only ball they could use. Sounds fun to me but I don't know if I'll get any interest.

As a GM of a bowing center, I'd love to run something like this; but that would fall flat on its face at my center. Plus it would piss my mechanic off. Which is one reason why I'd love to run it :twisted:

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I NEVER get a chance to bowl on sport leagues. I bowled in one this past summer, but the center it was in was 90 miles away. gently caress that.

As for the idea of having a sport league where you only punch up a Storm Natural and put them on PBA conditions, I'm not sure I'm a fan of that. It wouldn't really showcase the bowlers' versatility or the difference in the patterns. With a urethane ball, you would play pretty much the same line (withing 5 or so boards) on all of the PBA patterns. The sport league I bowled this summer gave you two high performance Brunswick balls (oxymoron, derp derp) and allowed you one plastic ball for spares. We bowled on the chameleon the first half and the viper the second half. Also, the winner of the league got a 1 year contract with Brunswick. I thought that was a pretty good idea.

I don't know, something to think about I guess.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, I'm lucky because my house puts out a sport condition more often than not. Mondays is on Boardwalk right now, we're on Autobahn, and Friday has a league on Turnpike. Plus they throw out a random sport pattern on the first 10 lanes on Sundays. We've had grudge money matches where the two guys go up on Sunday night and have to bowl blind, not knowing what the pattern is. That's always hysterical.

Anyway, here's a video of the NEBA championship match in November. 2 game aggregate total.

Alex Aguiar, the guy in white, is the number 1 amateur in the country and I have the pleasure of competing against him on Tuesdays. He has lost a total of three games out of 48 this third. I was one of them. :smug:

John Van Hees is a pro-shop owner from Rhode Island and is probably one of the top 10 ams in the country. Disregard the second game for him, after the first couple frames he basically mailed it in. I get to bowl up against both on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjKaeZXBg2w

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Some pretty high scores this week it sounds like. It sounds like some of the leagues you guys bowl in are pretty cool. I'd like to try some pro pattern stuff cause it sounds hard as hell and I'm up for the challenge. The place I bowl at only offers it every once in a while in the summer, so if they do that again I'll have to try it. I got my average up to an all time high so I want to put it to the test.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Shot 728 last night, 236-247-245. My grandfather gave me a bunch of his old bowling equipment and I've been throwing his Track Nuke for the past couple of weeks and have been killing it. I had to slow down a bit to get the right reaction out of it but it hits so well. My team has been killing in league and were taking a big lead in first place now.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

PendingForaBending posted:

Shot 728 last night, 236-247-245. My grandfather gave me a bunch of his old bowling equipment and I've been throwing his Track Nuke for the past couple of weeks and have been killing it. I had to slow down a bit to get the right reaction out of it but it hits so well. My team has been killing in league and were taking a big lead in first place now.

It's pretty amazing how old equipment still holds up and can be used. My dad has been using the same Wizard(I think? It's purple and I think Wizard is the name on the side) for probably close to 10 years now. Averages 200+ in league and has thrown a sanctioned 300 game with it. He wants to get a new ball this year, but is in no hurry. Not many other sports where you can use equipment designed 10 years ago and still be competitive.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.

mattfl posted:

It's pretty amazing how old equipment still holds up and can be used. My dad has been using the same Wizard(I think? It's purple and I think Wizard is the name on the side) for probably close to 10 years now. Averages 200+ in league and has thrown a sanctioned 300 game with it. He wants to get a new ball this year, but is in no hurry. Not many other sports where you can use equipment designed 10 years ago and still be competitive.

Yeah, it was a really nice surprise to be able to get so much life out of it. I'd like to see how it holds up on a tougher oil pattern but on the house shot where I bowl its a perfect fit.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

loving oval office.

Position round tonight for the second third. If I take all 10 points I'd end up jumping like 5 positions and $150 in winnings. Had the first three games won and threw a spare shot the second frame. Ball got caught in the belt and came back looking like a gnome was gnawing on it. So I got to shoot all my spares on burnt back ends with my Cyclone. Ended up with a 170 with two missed single pins and lost by 2 sticks.

At least I'm getting a pretty new "Ocean Breeze" colored spare ball for free.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
The problem with having a 6-man team like we do is that every week, someone has to sit out. Usually the one who sits out will go over and bowl on (What used to be and possibly still is) the Coast Guard team, since they only have 3 regulars and 2 guys who show up on occasion.

Motherfucker from our team does that again tonight on his night to sit out, except we are bowling the Coast Guard team. Now, far be it from me to be upset at a teammate for bowling a 680, but why the gently caress did he have to bowl it against us!? He beat my dad in the first two games and they won the first game (by 10 pins, no less), so that's 7 points our team is down.

Normally this wouldn't be a problem, except that we're in first and our crosstown rivals from the plumbing team were only down by 9 points. And I won't know until Friday what that means.

I'm also upset because I bowled fuckin' 183 - 189 - 181, because I left a loving 5-7 in the 10th of the first game, and then I left a pocket 8-10 in the 10th of the second game. I was pissed, left two 6-7-10s and missed a washout in the third game, but got the last 4. Every one of those games could have been a 200 very easily.

At least, though, I did win my teammate's $5, because he bowled a 470. And his average went down a pin, so I'm now beating him there, too.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
So I've been using a slightly modified (read: not as extreme as Belmonte) two-handed release for over a year now, and I have to say I'm thrilled I stuck with it. Not only is bowling completely fun again, but I'm averaging higher and throwing more consistent shots than ever before. Hitting my mark now is a near certainty, rather than the crapshoot it was when I was bowling one-handed.

And all this with a 14-pound Storm Black Ice :psyduck: I just can't keep anything else on the lane.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Two handers are cheaters :colbert:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Toad on a Hat posted:

Two handers are cheaters :colbert:

You've got two hands :colbert:

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
At least I hope you do, because if you don't I look like a dick now :ohdear:

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

My team continued our streak of sucking rear end. Took 2/27 against a bad team. I had the only 600 on the pair and that's not good for us giving up 150 a game.

Went 212-222-207 for a 641. Completely stopped carrying the third game.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
246-236-247 for a 729 tonight, took every game to keep our one-game first-place lead. Good night, overall.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Kind of a mediocre night tonight for me... 192-211-173. Was really hoping for my third straight 600 series. Ah well, we won 3 out of 4 points.

Also, our freakin anchor... holy poo poo. He went 208-276-289! SO CLOSE! Hit the front 9 in that 2nd game, and the front 10 in the last. He took the high scratch series for the league thus far though.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.

Toaster Beef posted:

246-236-247 for a 729 tonight, took every game to keep our one-game first-place lead. Good night, overall.

Ha, you shot 1 pin higher than me in series this week. With 2 of the same scores and 1 that was 1 pin higher. :manning:

Edit: In my 245 game, I'm pretty sure I had XX9 to finish, so we almost had the exact same series game for game.

PendingForaBending fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 16, 2012

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

PendingForaBending posted:

Ha, you shot 1 pin higher than me in series this week. With 2 of the same scores and 1 that was 1 pin higher. :manning:

Edit: In my 245 game, I'm pretty sure I had XX9 to finish, so we almost had the exact same series game for game.

What up, bowling twin :hf:

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
I'm heading to Baton Rouge tomorrow morning for the USBC open championships. Going to get a good practice session in tonight before leagues and pray I can shoot 600s. I think I have it in me. Didn't have to pay a dime in entry fees since I am filling in for someone who bummed his knee.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

buffto posted:

I'm heading to Baton Rouge tomorrow morning for the USBC open championships. Going to get a good practice session in tonight before leagues and pray I can shoot 600s. I think I have it in me. Didn't have to pay a dime in entry fees since I am filling in for someone who bummed his knee.

Good luck!

I'm going in the middle of March in what might be my last USBC Open for a few years. I'm sick and tired of Reno so I'm taking at least the next two off. I thought about making a post about it when the tournament started but :effort:

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Yeah, Reno blows and it's a shame that they have the tournament there so often. They could probably get a more consistently high turnout if they kept moving it around. Maybe having it in the midwest every so often.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

It was supposed to be in Wichita either last year or this year but they couldn't get the convention center up to standards. It's been in Indianapolis in the past and was in Knoxville ten or so years ago. I just get tired of going out west every year and I know there's a lot of midwest and east coast bowlers who feel the same.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Yea, it was supposed to be in Orlando last year, but the funding for the convention center was cut/suspended so they had to shift it to Reno. Reno is basically the fall back place because its so easy to host it. I believe that after 2 more years in a row in Reno, it is only supposed to be there once every 4 years (but I'm sure Reno will win the bid again because its so inexpensive to do it there, the stadium is already there.)

Reno - 2013,2014
El Paso - 2015
Up in the air - 2016 (possibly Orlando if the convention center is finished)

I think this is correct, and yea it sucks.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some tournaments in Arlington in the near future. That's where the USBC/BPAA campus is and I know they've looked into putting a convention center there.

Better Arlington than Reno; at least I can drive there in a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Well, I was able to throw one good set in Baton Rouge. Was playing the lanes way too deep in team and only eked out a 517. Came in the next day and went gang busters in doubles with 240-182-279 for a 701. Partner shot 531. We are currently in 6th place in doubles, although there is still like 4 months left. Then I completely brainfarted in singles and shot 501. Boo. Oh well. I didn't pay any entry fees, I made plenty of money in brackets and will probably cash in doubles.

• Locked thread