Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sulk posted:

Anyone installed on a 2011 MBA yet?
That's what I used, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

4.3 does this too. Looking at the release notes, it looks like you can ask to install command line utilities. That might fix it for you?
I'll play around with it a bit in a VM (if possible) before jumping back in.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

SimpleCoax posted:

I think it will get to the point where we will begin to use the email addressing by default. I'm not sure how the phone number addressing would work on other devices. I realized that setting my caller id in facetime and imessage to my email helps when people reply by default it will use the email addressing and get to all my devices. I never thought about it, but there's no email address authentication anyway, so what happens if I just put anyone's email to receive messages at? Now I'm curious.

In order to add an email to your Apple ID account, it'll send that email address a confirmation email you'll have to click on.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I assume Xcode 4.3 won't run under Mountian Lion? (I'm guessing you can't compile and submit with 4.4, right?)

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'll play around with it a bit in a VM (if possible) before jumping back in.
There are reports that it runs inside a VM, but has not yet for me.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

That's what I used, yes.

Running just as smoothly, or more so?

Another concern I have which was just mentioned was how Xcode plays with it. I know that it's probably better to not bother (although I used iOS 5 for most of its beta and it ran just fine, so I assume it would be similarly so with OS X), but I do love tinkering with new things.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sulk posted:

Running just as smoothly, or more so?
Safari felt a bit quicker, everything else felt a bit slower but that's expected for a developer preview. I'll wait until they get a couple updates out for it before I consider putting it on my daily driver again. The iOS features are neat, but not must-have for me right now, and everything else is the same as Lion (gestures, app behavior, etc.)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Hrm, so I thought that Mountain Lion doesn't support my macbook because it's got 32-bit EFI. But according to this:

code:
MacBook:~ echo$ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi
    | |   "firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">
I've got 64bit EFI. So now I'm confused as to why I'm not supported.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
That big dumb blue Reader button in Safari needs to go. I liked it better when it only showed up in the URL bar when it was applicable. Also, does anyone remember the glory of tabs on top?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Fren posted:

Also, does anyone remember the glory of tabs on top?

I was literally just having this conversation 1 minute ago with a coworker while discussing how Apple likes to experiment with Safari's UI in betas.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Any idea why my iMessages wouldn't be updating on my iPhone? Sending works as expected but it doesn't seem aware of my other device (sending or receiving).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Any idea why my iMessages wouldn't be updating on my iPhone? Sending works as expected but it doesn't seem aware of my other device (sending or receiving).
You're definitely signed into the same iCloud/Apple ID account on your phone and your Mac?

The other thing it might be is that by default the phone sends from your phone number rather than your Apple ID. Someone mentioned on the previous page that if you go into Settings->Messages (and also Facetime) that you can change the caller ID (at the bottom of the options screens, you might need to scroll down) of the phone's messages to your Apple ID which should make all messages sent/received to all your devices.

zegadeth
May 14, 2006
Double life!!

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

It does seem to be still a bit buggy,all the messages are showing on my phone,but when i power back by MBP from sleep it has missed all the txts while it was sleeping.

I was hoping it would refresh and pull them all in,doesnt really deliver on "pick up where u left off on any device" thing.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
The smilies popup is great with the iChat SA smilies installed.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
No problem with Messages and iMessage here. I send an iMessage through Messages, it shows up on my iPhone and iPad. I get a reply, it shows up in Messages and my iPhone and iPad.

Use your Apple ID, not your phone number.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, same Apple ID. Phone has iMessage toggled on and is "receiving at" 2 addresses—my Apple ID, my phone number, and my e-mail address (which looks like 3, but whatever). Caller ID is set to e-mail. FaceTime appears to be set up the same way.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
A couple of the preview articles said iCloud will now sync browser tabs between a Mac and an iOS device. I wonder if it only sync the first 8 to iOS devices if you have more than that open in the desktop browser or what it does.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

CaptainCaveman posted:

A couple of the preview articles said iCloud will now sync browser tabs between a Mac and an iOS device. I wonder if it only sync the first 8 to iOS devices if you have more than that open in the desktop browser or what it does.

Which articles? I saw speculation that iCloud might sync browser tabs, but nothing confirmed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ZeeBoi posted:

Interesting how it's now just called "OS X", no more "Mac".

Kinda sad. :(

echobucket posted:

I believe that happened with Lion.
It definitely didn't.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Terpfen posted:

Which articles? I saw speculation that iCloud might sync browser tabs, but nothing confirmed.

MacWorld and The Verge both reference it, although MacWorld's article says they didn't see it yet in the version they tested.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Going to revive a question that was answered several weeks ago: now that Messages overwrites and supplants iChat, how does one remotely connect to and control the desktop of another Mac? iChat screen sharing appears to be on the way out.

CaptainCaveman posted:

MacWorld and The Verge both reference it, although MacWorld's article says they didn't see it yet in the version they tested.

MacWorld's version would seem to be correct; it's an intended feature not available in the developer preview.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Terpfen posted:

Going to revive a question that was answered several weeks ago: now that Messages overwrites and supplants iChat, how does one remotely connect to and control the desktop of another Mac? iChat screen sharing appears to be on the way out.

Why does it appear to be on the way out? It's still in Messages.

Messages is (at least as this point) just iChat with iMessage bolted on. Everything that was there is there, but you can now use iMessage as well.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

Messages is (at least as this point) just iChat with iMessage bolted on. Everything that was there is there, but you can now use iMessage as well.

It seems to me the big difference between iMessage and say something like Jabber or AIM, is that iMessage has no notion of a "buddy list" and there's no way to tell if someone is "online" or not.

I guess the assumption is that people will always be available with iMessage?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

rckstar79 posted:

Hmm. I have messages.app open and it has focus and my iphone is still playing the new text sound alert. :iiam:

Very odd. I only tried it with my desktop and iPad since my iPhone is still an old 3G because i'm a poors :(

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Yeah, same Apple ID. Phone has iMessage toggled on and is "receiving at" 2 addresses—my Apple ID, my phone number, and my e-mail address (which looks like 3, but whatever). Caller ID is set to e-mail. FaceTime appears to be set up the same way.

Started working for some reasonʔ cool

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

echobucket posted:

It seems to me the big difference between iMessage and say something like Jabber or AIM, is that iMessage has no notion of a "buddy list" and there's no way to tell if someone is "online" or not.

I guess the assumption is that people will always be available with iMessage?
Press Command-1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah I should probably shut up. I don't allow iOS beta chat in IYG, so it's only fair to keep quiet about Mountain Lion. :(

What NDA? Apple actively gave this out to journalists to write about...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

I believe under Sarbanes-Oxley, they can't give it away.. SOX laws prohibit a publicly traded company from giving away (or just letting you have it for free) an unadvertised new feature on a product you already paid for.

Apple could do it, but would be forced to go through a special kind of accounting hell at the end of the fiscal year to justify it.

So most likely $29-49 it is. (With all the work and man hours going into it I don't think it'll be just $29.)
(Random crap I know cause a business accounting class last year and looked at Apple's quarterly filings for an assignment)
They changed things up a few years ago cause some new accounting practices became available. Before I think the only options were to recognize revenue all at once at purchase, or evenly prorated out over some (arbitrary?) period. This is why before the iPods had paid iOS updates while the iPhone got free ones, and why iPhone revenues were all funky for a while. What they're able to do now is recognize the bulk at purchase with some smaller amount spread out over time, which is why iPods get free iOS updates now too.

tl;dr There may be nothing accounting wise stopping them from doing a free update...assuming they count Mac revenue the same way, which I forget if they do :downs:. I can check later if anyone is really anal about $30, or you can look on your own on their investor pages, just look for their quarterly filing and the section on revenue recognition.

Chainclaw posted:

I have an odd situation with the doc at the bottom I would like a solution for. I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.2. There is a piece of software I use on my Mac that I now have two versions installed, and use both multiple times per day. I would like to have both in the doc, with an obvious marking of which is which, either different colors, or ideally the version number on top of it. I tried some googling, but I don't think I understand enough about Mac OS to build a good search string.
Two quick ways I can think of:
- Make some icons yourself in any drawing app, then just copy and paste to the apps. You do that by getting info, clicking the icon, then cmd-v to paste.
- Make aliases to the apps then do the icon thing with them, and rename to whatever you want.

echobucket posted:

Hrm, so I thought that Mountain Lion doesn't support my macbook because it's got 32-bit EFI. But according to this:

code:
MacBook:~ echo$ ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | grep firmware-abi
    | |   "firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">
I've got 64bit EFI. So now I'm confused as to why I'm not supported.
What GPU do you have? I think it was on the Anandtech article that pointed out that it seemed like they were basically cutting off the oldest graphics, which is more or less (but not completely?) in line with EFI32 machines.

Fren posted:

That big dumb blue Reader button in Safari needs to go. I liked it better when it only showed up in the URL bar when it was applicable. Also, does anyone remember the glory of tabs on top?

I miss them so much. And the pie progress indicator. :(

Terpfen posted:

MacWorld's version would seem to be correct; it's an intended feature not available in the developer preview.
Presumably cause it would require iOS to implement it as well.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It seems funny to cut the "Mac" from "Mac OS X" while still having the startup disk named "Macintosh HD" by default.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

It seems funny to cut the "Mac" from "Mac OS X" while still having the startup disk named "Macintosh HD" by default.

Yeah, but, they're doing their best to hide that drive from users as much as possible, so I'm not surprised they're ignoring it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Isn't the HD icon hidden from the desktop by default anyway? At least they moved "Devices" to the bottom of the sidebar in finder windows in Lion.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cool retrospective on OSX over the years

http://twistedmac.com/index.php/mac-os-x-over-the-years

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Heh, when 10.7 was announced I remember joking that the next version would be called 'mountain lion'. :cool:

Messages is awesome for the most part, even if it makes me less patient for all the new features. I'm also pretty happy about OS X moving to a yearly update cadence in sync with iOS, though I wonder to what degree that was a post-Steve decision or not.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
I'm pretty stoked about the new OS update too, however I'm wondering if a year update cycle in "Late Summer" will alter their Mac product release line at all. I know that Lion released and iMac's got refreshed with the "Buy a mac now and get [Mountain] Lion when it comes out" type of stuff.

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
So anyone try out Messages yet? Is there no more buddy list where I can see that an AIM user is online?

edit: saw it was answered. ignore me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Arzy posted:

So anyone try out Messages yet? Is there no more buddy list where I can see that an AIM user is online?

Hit Cmd-1. We were talking about it on the last page.

e: :lol: on this page.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

FlashBangBob posted:

I'm pretty stoked about the new OS update too, however I'm wondering if a year update cycle in "Late Summer" will alter their Mac product release line at all. I know that Lion released and iMac's got refreshed with the "Buy a mac now and get [Mountain] Lion when it comes out" type of stuff.
There have been rumors Apple will introduce its first "retina" screen Mac this year, I wonder if these could be related.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Molten Llama posted:

If it's there, I'm not seeing how to use it.

Then again, every time I reopen Messages, my conversations from the previous window disappear and it prompts for a new message dialog. So maybe I'm just retarded.

FlashBangBob posted:

Very possible, but potentially for different reasons.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

TACD posted:

Press Command-1

[timg]attachment.php?postid=400659722[/timg]

That brings up the buddy list for Google Talk, or AIM.

iMessage has no such concept as a "Buddy List"

japtor posted:

What GPU do you have? I think it was on the Anandtech article that pointed out that it seemed like they were basically cutting off the oldest graphics, which is more or less (but not completely?) in line with EFI32 machines.

Intel X3100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Yes, this is the issue

osx daily posted:

Macs that are NOT expected to support OS X Mountain Lion
Older Macs and those with weaker GPU’s will likely be left behind:

Anything with an Intel GMA 950 or x3100 integrated graphics card
Anything with an ATI Radeon X1600