Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Random realisation :

I'm not sure where in the old thread it was mentioned, but Gimmick, 53 Stations, Wing Of Madoola and Ikki are download titles on the Playstation Network, in the Playstation One section under the "Sunsoft Memorial" series.

I'm not sure how it plays, though? From what I remember, it's not just a Famicom ROM runing in an emulator, because the original cartridge used a sound mapper that was exclusive to that one game, and doesn't come accross very well in emulation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tyma posted:

Random realisation :

I'm not sure where in the old thread it was mentioned, but Gimmick, 53 Stations, Wing Of Madoola and Ikki are download titles on the Playstation Network, in the Playstation One section under the "Sunsoft Memorial" series.

I just ripped my PSP off its charger with a force never before seen by the eyes of man, slammed the sliding screen into the UP position, mashed X over and over until the PSN store loaded up, entered the PSone classics section and... nothing. Not in the Japanese import section or domestic.

Its only the Japanese store isnt it... Ill have you know that you have caused me so much grief that you are no longer allowed to my birthday party.

Ever.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was just about to mention that since I just remembered it. Volume 6 which has Gimmick also has Battle Formula/Super Spy Hunter.

Even if you want some physucal media apparently the disk is only a few hundred yen. It's definitely a good option unless you really want that cart.

FWIW I've seen copies of Wing and Ikki at close to 100 yen. 53 stations on the other had seems to go for around 1200 or more.

Edit: You can get up a Japanese PSN account on a US system. You have to buy a PSN gift card in yen to buy things but it does work. The PSP doesn't let you have multiple accounts on one system though...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 16, 2012

Chaindive
Sep 3, 2011
I have about four of those Sunsoft ps1 comps from PSN & while they do play alright there's some input lag when playing on ps3. I noticed this the most when playing Ufouria (Hebereke) which took some adjusting since I spent a lot of time with it on a PAL NES & the speed was already different. I think the lag is tolerable but it makes some games like Mr Gimmick & DoDonpachi a bit harder. The sound seemed ok but I couldn't be 100% sure, if it was a Mega Drive game I was testing I'd know right away heh. Since it's not possible to do a 60hz mod on a PAL NES I only play carts on clone systems so the sound is always off for me.

I don't think the lag is there on PSP but I can't check since my 1000 & 2000 are CFW & I'm too lazy to do an account switch over on the PSP-GO.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Gutcruncher posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

Ive played a rom before, its great fun.

Wow, this looks like it could have been a potential classic, yet somehow it never had a PAL/US release? What a giant misstep.

It's impressive for a nes game in a lot of ways but for some reason that fact he jumps a lot like megaman bothers me.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I thought the stages shown in the youtube link looked a hell of a lot like Ring Man's stage in MM4. It honostly looks like a Kirby and Mega Man mash up with some Little Nemo thrown in, but I only get that vibe from the weapon, and the reason for that is mysterious to me as well.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

cat doter posted:

Wow, this looks like it could have been a potential classic, yet somehow it never had a PAL/US release? What a giant misstep.

It's impressive for a nes game in a lot of ways but for some reason that fact he jumps a lot like megaman bothers me.

It came out on the tail-end of the NES's lifespan (1992). Chances are it would probably have been overlooked like many of the games that came out for the system during that time period. And by this point SunSoft had a mixed track record depending on who you asked. Blaster Master and Spy Hunter were great, but you also had things like Fester's Quest, Xenophobe, and Batman. It would have been interesting to see how it sold, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mayor McCheese posted:

It came out on the tail-end of the NES's lifespan (1992). Chances are it would probably have been overlooked like many of the games that came out for the system during that time period. And by this point SunSoft had a mixed track record depending on who you asked. Blaster Master and Spy Hunter were great, but you also had things like Fester's Quest, Xenophobe, and Batman. It would have been interesting to see how it sold, though.

Wasn't Sunsoft just a publisher anyway? Not that they referenced their designers if they were, but I recall them publishing the Game Boy FF games in America. That would actually explain their very inconsistent track record pretty easily.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

xamphear posted:

So... The fat guy in the comedy trio who visits Arino during the 24h challenge...

What's, uh, wrong with his head?

I forgot to address this. Hiro from Yasuda Dai Circus just has an enormous fat roll on the back of his head. It is a little freaky looking.

Side view:

Back view:

And just to make this post somewhat on-topic:

Not...entirely sure what the point of this is.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Feb 16, 2012

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Gutcruncher posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc

Ive played a rom before, its great fun.

Oh my goodness. The part where he stands on top of the flipped spiky dude and gets scooted forward by its flailing feet is ADORABLE.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYcf2yUgblc#t=3m32s

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Feb 16, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

And just to make this post somewhat on-topic:

Not...entirely sure what the point of this is.

That has to be a promotion for that "Otaku Kingdom" cell phone game that came up in the last thread.

I think a better title for that game would be Sim Nerd.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Wow, poor Urakawa and that absurd amount of time he spent on Adventure Island. I wonder if it's in the job description for being an AD that you're required to finish the game if Arino gives up, no matter what?

I can't believe how absurdly difficult those clips looked. I feel like a drat pansy for complaining about Dark Souls.

e: Out of curiosity, I wondered where Tomomi Sakai ended up after working on "Gimmick!" since the video linked a couple posts back mentions it was the only game she did. A bit of searching revealed her fairly well-kept game design and programming blog. First game "commercialized" at age 15, obtained what appears to be some industry standard IT certification(s) at 18, started NES dev at 19, then continued onto other software projects, and even wrote a few books.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 16, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

^^^^ All the games are finished by ADs before Arino even touches them. Adventure Island was an exception due to being so evil, Kan actually announced this at the start of the ep because it was kind of a big deal.

So when did Arino play Gimmick? It looks stupid hard and there's no way he beat it.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 16, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Corridor posted:

So when did Arino play Gimmick? It looks stupid hard and there's no way he beat it.

It was the first challenge of season 15. I think it's a pretty good episode too.

Continuing the process of slowly building up the seeding of old episodes here's a season nine torrent.

Download torrent81 (6 files; 4.40 GB)
View torrent stats

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

That has to be a promotion for that "Otaku Kingdom" cell phone game that came up in the last thread.
I registered for that gaming site and everything, but never found the drat game! Now that I know what it's called, though, I should have better luck. (I was mostly searching for variations on "Arino" and "Yoiko".)

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Gimmick looks phenomenal. Since it was released here for some reason I checked the local auctions for the SCN releases and found two. One for 130€ and another for 245€.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Blaster Master and Spy Hunter were great, but you also had things like Fester's Quest, Xenophobe, and Batman.

You thought Batman was a bad game? Really? The quality of Fester's Quest is often exaggarated in my opinion too. It has some serious flaws but it's still very much a playable game.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

The quality of Fester's Quest is often exaggarated in my opinion too. It has some serious flaws but it's still very much a playable game.

You and I, we did not play the same Fester's Quest.

I remember Lurch giving me Vice Grips or something. I remember frogs of doom hopping everywhere. And I remember not making any progress whatsoever. That said, if you did make progress in the game? I have respect for you for that.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, but what are they doing in that video? Hiro's just writing down words Arino gives him because... his writing is bad? Were those signs used in the game itself in the end? I feel like I need to know more about the game to understand the context better.

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

You thought Batman was a bad game? Really? The quality of Fester's Quest is often exaggarated in my opinion too. It has some serious flaws but it's still very much a playable game.

I was surprised to hear Batman referred to as a bad game too. I think it's pretty cool, albeit a Ninja Gaiden ripoff.

Fester's Quest, on the other hand. "I should've listened to the Angry Video Game Nerd" is all I can say about that one. I think I'd rather play the Fester's Shock Machine.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

zari-gani posted:

Yeah, but what are they doing in that video? Hiro's just writing down words Arino gives him because... his writing is bad? Were those signs used in the game itself in the end? I feel like I need to know more about the game to understand the context better.

I was surprised to hear Batman referred to as a bad game too. I think it's pretty cool, albeit a Ninja Gaiden ripoff.

Fester's Quest, on the other hand. "I should've listened to the Angry Video Game Nerd" is all I can say about that one. I think I'd rather play the Fester's Shock Machine.

Let Everdraed heal your wounds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt0uLCI14YA

Also I kinda feel sorry for Hiro there. Poor guy's just built for comedy.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

zari-gani posted:

I think I'd rather play the Fester's Shock Machine.
I actually saw one of those machines at an amusement auction a few weeks back, I'm surprised to see that a number of these units exist. I was half tempted to plug it in and give it a try. Though I'd rather pick up an Addams Family pinball machine any day, the best Fester-related gaming option. :colbert:

On that note, it's really a shame they didn't have footage of Arino playing pinball in the USA special. During the trip I was kind of considering tweeting a picture of Funhouse or Dracula to Inoko MAX and Kibe saying "FIND AND PLAY ONE OF THESE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD", as though it would have some sort of effect. :downs: The best we have is when he played the Mario Brothers pin on the North Trip series(?). Mario Brothers is one of the worst tables I have ever played extensively. It's so bad that my local arcade can't find a buyer for it so they keep it in for shits and giggles.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Random Stranger, what complete season torrents do you have finished? Is it just Seasons 4 and 9?

Also, you should really update part of the OP to include these, torrents are way, WAY easier to maintain than the mass of Multiupload links.

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Goon torrents are always so fast. Amazing

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ShadeofDante posted:

Random Stranger, what complete season torrents do you have finished? Is it just Seasons 4 and 9?

Also, you should really update part of the OP to include these, torrents are way, WAY easier to maintain than the mass of Multiupload links.

Right now 4 and 9. I'm going to update the OP soon but I'm being pulled in a dozen different directions over the past couple of days. Every time I sit down to do something another "emergency that has to be dealt with immediately" comes up.

013 - Tokimeki Memorial
Download torrent81 (1 files; 492.65 MB)
View torrent stats

019 - Milon's Secret Castle
Download torrent81 (1 files; 446.21 MB)
View torrent stats

020 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Download torrent81 (1 files; 486.42 MB)
View torrent stats

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 17, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

It's... it's begun. I'm starting to run out of episodes I really want to translate. A lot of the ones I want to do, either someone else has called dibs on them or we'd have to find better video files of (some of the more recent episodes, and yes that includes Battletoads).

So please help me decide what to translate next.
ETA: Trains win!

46 (Season 7) - Mega Man, which surprisingly hasn't been done yet.

51 (Season 7) - Sword of Musashi, with extended Korea arcade trip footage. Also, Arino and Kibe try out the weird games they bought there.

94 (Season 12) - Go! By Train, which is a fun episode. The only not-fun part for me will be looking up a bunch of train terminology and verifying place names.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 17, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Really want to see the Mega Man run a lot. Plus, wasn't Mega Man 2 already translated?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mega Man 2 was done by TV-Nihon, because Arino played that before Mega Man 1. SAGCCX then subbed Mega Man 3. Mega Man 4, a two-parter, is also still unsubbed.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The train one!

Because seriously, look at that hat!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
The train one looks hilarious, but I also really want to see the hilarious Korean bootleg games.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

All three of those look good but I'll have to go with Densha de Go! since Tojima just looks adorable in that hat.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I vote Mega Man. With 2 and 3 done, it'd be a shame to let it linger.

You all are the best, btw.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
As I said in previous posts, I would love to see Megaman 1 translated so that the AD Takahashi Quadlogy can be completed. My second choice would be the post Korea trip episode. The fight with the Yellow Devil is one of my favorite GCCX moments.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zari-gani posted:

It's... it's begun. I'm starting to run out of episodes I really want to translate. A lot of the ones I want to do, either someone else has called dibs on them or we'd have to find better video files of (some of the more recent episodes, and yes that includes Battletoads).

So please help me decide what to translate next.

46 (Season 7) - Mega Man, which surprisingly hasn't been done yet.

51 (Season 7) - Sword of Musashi, with extended Korea arcade trip footage. Also, Arino and Kibe try out the weird games they bought there.

94 (Season 12) - Go! By Train, which is a fun episode. The only not-fun part for me will be looking up a bunch of train terminology and verifying place names.

I'd really like to see Go! By Train. it's fun when Arino takes on less familiar games.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hope in the end all three get translated. But I have to ask, why hasn't the season Mega Man 4 is in hasn't had any work done? Or the later after that (barring the USA Special).

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
At first, I wanted to say Mega Man. That train episode, however, looks and sounds too good to wait on, so I would propose Go! By Train be next.

rdbbb posted:

Here's a reaction image for no real reason:

Arino has a real "Joel Hodgson" quality to him. I'll bet they could switch jobs and do just fine.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

All three of those look good but I'll have to go with Densha de Go! since Tojima just looks adorable in that hat.

Don't let the smile fool you. That's Abe :ssh:

Rirse posted:

Hope in the end all three get translated. But I have to ask, why hasn't the season Mega Man 4 is in hasn't had any work done? Or the later after that (barring the USA Special).

Because I don't like 2-parters, and I've already done two more recent episodes. They just haven't been released yet.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I was gonna say Mega Man because it's loving Mega Man. But that screenshot of Arino in a train conductor suit, though... that has to have my vote.

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
All 3 would be awesome but man is that Densha De Go! screenshot begging for votes. Densha De Go! for me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I'm going to have to 2nd the train one. Looks like they even have the train controller. Despite having very little hands-on experience, Densha De Go! and the myriad of PC train sims in Japan has always fascinated me, as has Japan's national obsession with its train service; I once watched a train driver as he controlled the speed of the train, making sure he passed various landmarks at the right second and adjusting his speed accordingly so he arrived exactly when he was supposed to. I'd play the hell out of a Japanese train sim that had the Hokkaido train lines, which I never found when I was there :sigh:

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Voting Sword of Musashi. I don't even know what that game is nor do I care, I want to see the games they bought from Korea in action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I vote Trains! Sword of Musashi, then Megaman.

You can do whatever you want though, thanks for subbing these :3: