Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Primoman posted:

Wait, really? I never heard of that.

I always figured they just wanted to save money hiring her for a new song until KHIII.

Nope, in some interview she legit said she didn't want to do any more KH games.

burntpork posted:

The last few seconds of the new trailer are very interesting.

Screencaps from trailer:
http://i.imgur.com/iJBN6.png
Master Armor with Nightmare symbol. Sorta looks like Ven's armor. :ohdear:

http://i.imgur.com/fbXOz.png
Heartless (?) in organization cloak.

My guess is the Heartless in the Organization coat might be the Mysterious Figure you have the option of fighting in Birth By Sleep.

LemonLimeTime fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

My guess is the Heartless in the Organization coat might be the Mysterious Figure you have the option of fighting in Birth By Sleep.

He looks shorter than that guy because...
I thought that was Master Xehanort's Nobody. Not Master Xehanort/Terra Nobody -aka Xemnas, but the nobody that was produced when he released his heart to take over Terra's body...

Man, gently caress this game! :argh:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LemonLimeTime posted:

Nope, in some interview she legit said she didn't want to do any more KH games.

Man, that sucks. She has a flawless English accent, which works perfectly with localizing the songs for these games.

Well unless she hates money, I don't see her turning down the chance to make a song for KHIII.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Amppelix posted:

Honestly, what did you expect? The ending of KH3 is going to be a six-hour video where Nomura painstakingly explains to you everything that's happened in the series and answers all of the unanswered questions. And after that you get the secret video which introduces 5 new characters and villains.

Primoman posted:

You make it sound like it would be a bad thing.

I'm hoping for more villains to smack around with my giant key.

That thing was able to slice up entire buildings in KHII. It's plenty sharp to do the job.

At the rate this series goes, we'll probably get game devoted to the question of why Sora's shoe colour is yellow. But if it gives us more things to kill, that's not a bad thing.

BLOOD FOR THE BLO-um...HEARTS FOR KINGDOM HEARTS! :black101:

burntpork posted:

He looks shorter than that guy because...
I thought that was Master Xehanort's Nobody. Not Master Xehanort/Terra Nobody -aka Xemnas, but the nobody that was produced when he released his heart to take over Terra's body...

Man, gently caress this game! :argh:

To look at complete insanity, I just tried to explain to my friend who only played the first game the whole sequence of a certain character in this game:

We have Ansem - Seeker of Darkness, who is not really Ansem, but the Heartless of his student Xehanort, who possess Riku's body in KH and tries to again in CoM, and then Riku "gives into his darkness" and takes on Ansem's form, but it's Riku controlling him. Then we have Xemnas, who is the remains of the body from the Ansem that wasn't Ansem, but took on his name and added an "X", even though he was really Xehanort. And the real Ansem was some old guy who taught this Xehanort fellow, who wasn't the real Xehanort, but the heart of Master Xehanort, possessing the body of a guy called Terra, whose heart is being protected by his old Master who he unitentionally helped Master Xehanort to murder. And Terra's anger has taken the form of a Lingering Sentiment that leads a seperate existance from his bodies now.

Got that? gently caress me...

Sora is less confusing:

Sora turns into a heartless, but regains his human form, his body turns into some guy named Roxas, who looks like a different character called Ven, because Ven's heart actually wound up in Sora's years ago. Because of this, Ven's darkness given form, called Vanitas looks like a slightly older Sora. But to add to this clusterfuck, the baddies made a living entity that absorbed Sora's memories eventually looking like him, but vanished completely ridding everyone of their memories of it.

My friend's face was a mixture of :confused: and :stare:

{e]:Hehehe! I think his mind is blown enough already, that may push him over the edge :D
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 15, 2012

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
You forgot to add "And the original idea was to just have Mickey explore the Disney theme parks" at the end.

Perfect punchline right there.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

I remember giving the first Kingdom Hearts game a go sometime after it first came out and not getting very far with it, but I have just ordered a copy off Amazon(and a new PS2 video cable:argh:) and am gonna try again.

I've looked at a couple of LPs and they always seem to start by choosing the shield and sacrificing magic, is this a massive advantage for some reason? I usually like to throw magic around like it's going out of style in any game that I can, so I'd choose the staff and sacrifice the sword.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Trauma Tank posted:

I remember giving the first Kingdom Hearts game a go sometime after it first came out and not getting very far with it, but I have just ordered a copy off Amazon(and a new PS2 video cable:argh:) and am gonna try again.

I've looked at a couple of LPs and they always seem to start by choosing the shield and sacrificing magic, is this a massive advantage for some reason? I usually like to throw magic around like it's going out of style in any game that I can, so I'd choose the staff and sacrifice the sword.

Any combination is viable (and in fact choosing the Wand in KH1 is the only way to get maximum everything in stats), it's just an arranging of stats (and in KH2, the order in which you learn Abilities from levelling).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Pureauthor posted:

Any combination is viable (and in fact choosing the Wand in KH1 is the only way to get maximum everything in stats), it's just an arranging of stats (and in KH2, the order in which you learn Abilities from levelling).

The ability order thing applies to Kingdom Hearts 1 as well, not just Kingdom Hearts 2. I would guess he sees a lot of people pick the shield because it gets you Guard, Scan, and Second Chance right away, three very useful abilities. Picking the staff, on the other hand, delays guard until level 24, so you have to focus on dodging despite the game's wonky controls.

In the end it doesn't really matter what you pick though, so don't worry too much about it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You pick the shield because then you get to whack shadows with it. And then you discard magic because who would want to lose attack power?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Magic in KH1 wasn't that great, I think I just used Aeroga (buff) and cure and nothing else. They fixed how it should work in the later versions but they got it really wrong in KH1.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

you should pick the Wand because magic power is based on maximum MP, and picking it gives you the highest max MP. You cannot ever modify your max MP (except some weapons give you +1 or +2) but you can get items that raise your Defense and Attack, so you're sacrificing a stat that you can't ever improve on your own by not choosing the wand. Just saying.

Also you can reflect and guard attacks with well timed normal attacks anyway, so you don't technically need guard. Plus Dodge Roll owns bones.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Pureauthor posted:

IIRC the Wand gives you MP (way more important than anything else), the Shield gives you more HP (good, but not as good as MP due to the whole MP = strength of your magic thing), and yeah, the Sword just kind of fucks you over because it gives you attack power that you could just as easily get from farming a few Attack Up items.

Magic power is a big drat deal in KH1 because maxing it out helps you reach a point where Thundaga can obliterate entire enemy groups of even fairly advanced mob enemies.

In KH2 the choice doesn't affect your stats except for a tiny +1 bonus at the beginning, just ability progression.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also the keyblade Belle gives you is the best, has the highest crit ratio.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Shield in KH1 also gives you an extra (or two?) Item slot if you care about that.

But yeah, Wand is the best choice.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

IIRC the Wand gives you MP (way more important than anything else), the Shield gives you more HP (good, but not as good as MP due to the whole MP = strength of your magic thing), and yeah, the Sword just kind of fucks you over because it gives you attack power that you could just as easily get from farming a few Attack Up items.

Magic power is a big drat deal in KH1 because maxing it out helps you reach a point where Thundaga can obliterate entire enemy groups of even fairly advanced mob enemies.

In KH2 the choice doesn't affect your stats except for a tiny +1 bonus at the beginning, just ability progression.

and if you don't choose the Wand (?) you get Lucky Lucky at level 99 or something insane like that.

Also yeah, the shield gives you extra item slots in the first game, whoopdie loving doo

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

Alteisen posted:

Also the keyblade Belle gives you is the best, has the highest crit ratio.

Well, except for the Ultima Weapon obviously which combines the best aspects of all weapons.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Well, except for the Ultima Weapon obviously which combines the best aspects of all weapons.

and don't forget that keyblade length plays a humongous part in every game. The Ultima Weapon wins on sheer size alone, since you can hit from father away or mow down hoards of enemies all at once

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm playing Skyward Sword right now, and I got to thinking how much fun it would be to play KH with a Wii Motion Plus Remote, slaughtering lots of Heartless! :black101:

The closest we'll get to that is probably something with the PS Move. I don't have a PS3, so I have no idea how it would compare, but if it lets me swing my controller around and kill things, it sounds good to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

I'm playing Skyward Sword right now, and I got to thinking how much fun it would be to play KH with a Wii Motion Plus Remote, slaughtering lots of Heartless! :black101:

The closest we'll get to that is probably something with the PS Move. I don't have a PS3, so I have no idea how it would compare, but if it lets me swing my controller around and kill things, it sounds good to me.

Kingdom Hearts is way more mashy than Zelda. I think you'd find it a lot less fun than you think.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Speaking of button mashing, I finally managed to beat the Mysterious Figure in Birth By Sleep. That fight is so bullshit. This series has a really hard time making optional bosses difficult but interesting.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

WrightOfWay posted:

Speaking of button mashing, I finally managed to beat the Mysterious Figure in Birth By Sleep. That fight is so bullshit. This series has a really hard time making optional bosses difficult but interesting.

I assume you are referring to mashing square to dodge roll/cartwheel, because that's 90% of that fight.

No Heart is so much worse. So very, very much worse.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002
I feel like the Sephiroth and Kurt Zisa fights in KH1 (and the Ansem fight in Final Mix) were pretty sweet. KH2 Final Mix has *loads* of great and difficult optional boss fights. And in Birth By Sleep, the fight with the Vanitas Remnant is pretty drat cool (depending on who you're playing with, of course).

Really, the *bad* fights are Phantom and Ice Titan in the first game, Sephiroth and Lingering Remnant in KH2, and the Mysterious Figure in BBS (who just stomps you too hard to be interesting or fun).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the Lingering Remnant fight. It's one of my favorites in the series.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Really, the *bad* fights are Ice Titan in the first game

So very wrong. Nothing was more awesome than pressing block and reflecting all of those icicle missiles at once.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

the Rock Titan fight is way stupider than the Ice Titan.

Also I wish they had kept Tech Points :frogbon:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

I feel like the Sephiroth and Kurt Zisa fights in KH1 (and the Ansem fight in Final Mix) were pretty sweet. KH2 Final Mix has *loads* of great and difficult optional boss fights. And in Birth By Sleep, the fight with the Vanitas Remnant is pretty drat cool (depending on who you're playing with, of course).

Really, the *bad* fights are Phantom and Ice Titan in the first game, Sephiroth and Lingering Remnant in KH2, and the Mysterious Figure in BBS (who just stomps you too hard to be interesting or fun).

I was pretty proud of myself when I managed to beat Kurt Zisa and the big phantom thing in Peter Pan's world. In fact I did everything you could do in that game, got everyone's ultimate weapon, found all the pups, etc. Everything.

Except beat Sephiroth. I just didn't have the patience for it. I saw a playthrough of it and saw how many purple bars he had and was like "gently caress that". I tried to give it a go a few times before watching how to do it but never got anywhere.

Ice Titan was awesome.

If we're talking hard boss fights, the one with the Organization 13 member in Beast's Castle can suck my dick

KH2's requirments for getting the ultima weapon was stupid so I never did it.

edit: Can I just say how much I love KH's combat system? It keeps the RPG feel without the turn based nonsense. Even if it's button mashy and the second game had the triangle commands. It still is a lot more fun being basically an action hack and slash with computer controlled AI, than taking turns choosing each move then watching it. And Donald and Goofy were surprisingly good about not doing stupid AI poo poo. Donald saved my rear end on his own more times than I can count.

Also I always chose the sword at the beginning, I thought it would make me stronger :smith:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 17, 2012

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

So very wrong. Nothing was more awesome than pressing block and reflecting all of those icicle missiles at once.

The first time I played I forgot Guard existed (probably because I picked the sword and didn't learn it until the mid-30s) and fought the Ice Titan by hitting all its icicles back with attacks. It was stupid and tedious, but man, I got so many Tech Points.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It's so haaaaaard :(

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I always wanted to do that fight so bad, but Square are jerks so I can't. The Sephiroth fight in KH2 was kind of disappointing I thought.

The Vanitas Remnant fight is a rush if you try to do it legit (i.e. not spamming mines/tornado). It feels like total bullshit at first, then you notice all the openings he has. I think there's really only like 2 things he does that you can't either stuff him out of or punish afterward, though you have to be on your toes because he can just teleport out of your combo at any time and ice slam you.

BBS was the best KH game and had the best combat and systems, even if it was absurdly easy to just become horrendously overpowered.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I was really hoping that the "super-hard optional boss that's a cameo from FF" in KH2 was going to be Kefka but no, we got lame-rear end Sephiroth again.
The Kingdom Hearts games need more appearances from FF 1-6 but I guess they aren't anime enough to make the cut. In fact, if there is NOT a character/reference to FF13 in KH3 I'll be shocked.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I was really hoping that the "super-hard optional boss that's a cameo from FF" in KH2 was going to be Kefka but no, we got lame-rear end Sephiroth again.
The Kingdom Hearts games need more appearances from FF 1-6 but I guess they aren't anime enough to make the cut. In fact, if there is NOT a character/reference to FF13 in KH3 I'll be shocked.

Nomura has gone on record to say that he does not feel comfortable redesigning characters that were never designed by him in the first place, especially Amano's stuff. Dude is a massive Amano fan.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

Phantom's not bad, in fact it's easy as hell as long as you keep the clock stopped and put the clock tower in between you when he's puking up that homing laser or whatever the gently caress that thing is.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

the Rock Titan fight is way stupider than the Ice Titan.
I still don't know why Hades isn't the final boss of the Hades Cup :psyduck:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pureauthor posted:

Nomura has gone on record to say that he does not feel comfortable redesigning characters that were never designed by him in the first place, especially Amano's stuff. Dude is a massive Amano fan.

Even though he did this anyway in Dissidia.

So I guess he's comfortable enough now?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Primoman posted:

Even though he did this anyway in Dissidia.

So I guess he's comfortable enough now?

Nomura bent over backwards to ensure that original designs were almost 100% adhered to in Dissidia. Compare, say, Amano's Kefka to Dissidia Kefka.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Pureauthor posted:

Nomura bent over backwards to ensure that original designs were almost 100% adhered to in Dissidia. Compare, say, Amano's Kefka to Dissidia Kefka.

Yeah, I was under the impression there was a lot of collab work in Dissidia and that Amano is actually really fussy about his designs being used in the KH games. Is this not correct? I seem to remember it being a big hassle to get Setzer and Vivi in KH2.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Neither of those were Amano's creations though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The only ones that aren't basically 100% identical to the Amano designs in their default costumes, are, Garland, the Onion Knight and Bartz, and that's only because Garland is a completely new design with elements taken from the Cloudsea Djin and his various battle sprites, the Onion Knight is an amalgam of the OK sprite, this artwork and a few FF3DS things, and finally Bartz just has brown hair. Oh, and Sephiroth is lefthanded.

That's it. Those are all really minor things that work for the better, especially Garland.

Seriously, look at the detail they put into it.

I would kill for some more FF cameos in KH, not to the point of making the Disney stuff redendant though, there just has to be a fine balance. And on that topic, just for a laugh, I'd love to see Kingdom Hearts through the eyes of Amano.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Trauma Tank posted:

I did this exact thing on my first playthrough and it worked fine. Make sure you set the thunder spell to an easily-accessible button (I think I set mine to triangle), and spam it everywhere. And keep plenty of ethers around and quaff them like there's no tomorrow. It's pretty fun.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I would kill for some more FF cameos in KH, not to the point of making the Disney stuff redendant though, there just has to be a fine balance. And on that topic, just for a laugh, I'd love to see Kingdom Hearts through the eyes of Amano.

Since every time I think about Kingdom Hearts' story I get a headache, I'd prefer them to utilise the Final Fantasy and Disney characters over the ones unique to Kingdom Hearts. Each character seems so unnecessarily convoluted that it's hard for me to care about them, especially when the cameo characters are so much easier to understand in comparison.

For example, to even know what Organisation XIII are doing and why they are a threat, you need to have played nearly all the sequels, prequels and side-stories, while Malificent just wants the 7 princesses of heart, and Pete just wants to get in your way.

Also, Gilgamesh needs to be in the next Kingdom Hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Macaluso posted:

edit: Can I just say how much I love KH's combat system? It keeps the RPG feel without the turn based nonsense. Even if it's button mashy and the second game had the triangle commands. It still is a lot more fun being basically an action hack and slash with computer controlled AI, than taking turns choosing each move then watching it. And Donald and Goofy were surprisingly good about not doing stupid AI poo poo. Donald saved my rear end on his own more times than I can count.

Also I always chose the sword at the beginning, I thought it would make me stronger :smith:

It plays just like Secret of Mana only in 3D, with better A.I. and less teammates getting stuck in geography. When I first played KH; I was really, really surprised by it but i immediately took to the gameplay due to loving Mana when younger.