Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's really sad that this snapshot has made me realize the one thing I have always hated since it was put in: Dirt and gravel underground. Yes, I know it's realistic to have sediment underground buried beneath rocks, it adds variety to what you find in caves ingame, yadda yadda, but dammit, it's such a little thing that irks me so much and I don't even know why.

EDIT: Also, the little pegs that connect the parts of the Minecraft Lego set look like they connect OUTWARD, too, so it looks like you can link sets together if you want to channel your inner child enough to buy more than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Mongo
Jul 1, 2007
Bad Motha Fucka
A friend and I have been building up this server off and on since the Halloween update oh so long ago. The main build is on one of the old "snow" biomes, and there is a huge ice ocean as well. The gimmick is that we are filling it with pumpkin-headed denizens with lots of snarky things to say. It has actually made the world feel surprisingly alive.

Anyway, its still a work in progress, but I wanted to show off one of my favorite buildings, the FUNeral.

What's that building off in the distance? I think it says FUN...

oh...

A few pumpkin patrons outside the waiting room entrance

Doris the receptionist

A warning as you head to the showrooms

Standard Pleb Coffins

The second floor has the real merchandise. This one has an ancient warrior theme, and the one next to it is a flagrant display of wealth

This tomb is for thoughtful adventurers

Office of the shops owner

If only I could make him look like he has an arrow through the head

I want to post more but there's just so much. I'd rather just post the world for you all to explore once we're all done (soon).

The AngryScientist
Jan 1, 2011

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM, HUH?!
Am I the only one that thinks that the Minecraft LEGO set looks kinda lovely? I was really hoping for minifig scale with multiple mobs (is a LEGO Enderdragon too much to ask?).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

The AngryScientist posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that the Minecraft LEGO set looks kinda lovely? I was really hoping for minifig scale with multiple mobs (is a LEGO Enderdragon too much to ask?).

I'm not really liking it either. Looking at the sets and the concept of them really does not make me think of Minecraft at all.

It's much more Minecraft-y to buy a tub of Lego blocks than to buy these sets.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Bad legos for a bad game. Makes sense.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

All they had to do was put out some square legos with minecraft textures printed on them. Yet somehow they find a weird way to do it which doesn't look that fun to build with and is expensive as hell.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

thehustler posted:

0_o

How the gently caress did I miss that? I got bored scrolling through engine chat :)

Thanks!

I like the chat personally, but I get that. That's what browsers' search functions are for. :)

Death Himself posted:

All they had to do was put out some square legos with minecraft textures printed on them. Yet somehow they find a weird way to do it which doesn't look that fun to build with and is expensive as hell.

The problem with Lego is that they aren't square on their sides... I think it's 5mm wide and 6mm tall, meaning that even using one-third blocks results in the smallest cube being two blocks wide and one-and-two-thirds blocks tall, so either the textures would be messed up or the blocks would be very strangely shaped, both of which would've made them cost way more because of the customization involved.

edit: That said, those "weirdly-shaped" blocks would work better with the dimensions of standard Lego people, so maybe that was the most sensible way to go.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 17, 2012

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
For all the Lego talk, I am really not surprised this is the route Lego went for the Minecraft set. You have to remember, that there isn't much iconic looks for Minecraft so the designers do not have much to go off of.

Here is how I am seeing why this came out the way it did.

-Minecraft set pushed by rapid polling from Lego Cuusoo.
-Lego Designers sit down and look at source material for minecraft and begin tinkering with ideas. This is what they have to keep in mind.
1) Try to use existing block shapes, new molds cost hundreds of millions of dollars (or was it hundreads of thousands.. watched a documentary recently, it is something absurdly high for a mold, but Lego is very anal about how well they make their blocks), new shapes have to be profitable for future usage as well to at least pay off the cost of the new mold.
2) Try to keep in existing colors or paint decals. New paint decals, while not as expensive as the molds, are still very expensive and need to be justified. Three tiny decals (one for the 1x1 creeper face and two for the 1x1 studs that make up the Steve face cost significantly less than a full size minifig. If they went for minecraft texture blocks that means they would need decals for trees, stone, dirt, grass, gravel, sand and anything else in between, not only that but the decal would be printed on four sides which is a lot more ink than most blocks with custom decals get.
3) Cost of set. A micro scale set can include more pieces and still give a lot of detail at a fraction of the cost if they were trying to balloon it up to minifig size.

So keeping all those costs in mind, they have to look at the amount of votes the poll got and then consider how many sets would actually sell and design a set that wont have a huge budget, but still has consumer value. Though Minecraft is insanely popular and has the whole building aspect that Lego does, this is still a big investment risk for Lego (especially once you realize that Lego is still pulling out of a huge disaster where they almost shut down in the early 2000s, they are really only now starting to get back on their feet and that is mainly through the help of big brand names like the Star Wars series, they have been trying other brands, but nothing has met the popularity of Star Wars for them).

Honestly what I can see happening is if this set sells well we will see "expansions" to it (its already designed in such a way to allow that) and then maybe so "big" sets that are minifig scale (varied landscape with a detachable top that reveals a ravine intersecting an abandoned mineshaft or maybe a stronghold). Honestly though, this is kind of hard to design something that has consumer value and playability for younger groups. Seems they are marketing the set more like their Lego Architecture line.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 17, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I can see them doing Lego Angry Birds, Lego Plants & Zombies, etc., and just link all the sets together for a full-on geekgasm.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I'll be honest, I loved both of Minecraft's commercials. I found them genuinely funny. COME ON, BRING THE STONES.

And seriously that looks nothing like minecraft, though the whole mold argument makes a lot of sense.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Doesn't look like the Lego designers were given much time to come up with something either, design takes several months usually.

Also, correction on my part, molds cost between 40,000 and 200,000 Euros, not including cost of design and prototype mold nor the every three week upkeep they receive.

Found that documentary by the way, really interesting in that not only does it go into the history of the company, but goes through the entire process of building a new set (in this case a police station) from idea to manufacturing.

Part 1 (Starting around 13 min shows the process of making a new mold, continues into part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puo6yvgoKfI
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgDQisqx6M&feature=related
Part 3 (Decorating/Painting machines)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHjd6XmySA&feature=related

Sorry, I'll keep the Lego chat down, just a huge fan of the toy. :P

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Maybe you'd know - I dimly remember hearing that Lego gave up the Halo license because it was too violent - am I recalling a rumor?

Now we just need Minecraft Lego Starwars, to complete the circle jerk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, even my mom has heard of the Lego Minecraft thing now. Quote of the day right here:

"Say, what's that green thing from Minecraft? A Groper?"

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Maybe you'd know - I dimly remember hearing that Lego gave up the Halo license because it was too violent - am I recalling a rumor?

Halo is a Megabloks tie-in

victrix posted:

Well, there's always Blocade Runner...

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

Man, even my mom has heard of the Lego Minecraft thing now. Quote of the day right here:

"Say, what's that green thing from Minecraft? A Groper?"

"Creeper, 'tho its a Groper if it does not go off after it hugs you."

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Yeah I know, I was asking him if/why Lego dropped it - particularly in light of their financial troubles. I don't know why they'd pass on such a popular IP unless they had other reasons for doing so.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love megablocks; they really are the cheaper Lego, and they're pretty much the same size, aren't they?

EDIT: Also, this whole 'no caves' business... this pretty much means than any chunks made in the latest snapshot will be solid from here on out, and new chunks will have to be generated once it's fixed, right? I can't see it being any different.

Glad I haven't done anything save-worthy so far.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Megabloks are great if you don't mind them being literally useless, warped, and discolored in like five years.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

...Noooo, my Megabloks Halo Pelican...don't warp on me... :(

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

victrix posted:

Yeah I know, I was asking him if/why Lego dropped it - particularly in light of their financial troubles. I don't know why they'd pass on such a popular IP unless they had other reasons for doing so.

As far as I know, Lego's got a policy that prohibits depiction of modern warfare. So all the human weapons in Halo, plus the tanks and whatever, would be impossible.
The less war, the better.

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself
The Mojang guys are making a game for mojam as we speak and are streaming it here:

http://www.twitch.tv/mojang

It is interesting to see them at work.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Do they *all* have beards?

DuFfY
Oct 1, 2005

brace yourself

krushgroove posted:

Do they *all* have beards?

Minecraft chick was just taking food orders, but she didn't show her face on screen. So I can't answer that question yet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Just pop down to Ikea for some meatballs and sauce?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

victrix posted:

Never really heard Lego attempting to pick up the Halo license, they may have contemplated it, but the game was released when the company was really hurting.

As someone else mentioned before, Lego has very tight policies on weapons, mostly for depicting guns. While Lego does provide accessories that may resemble handguns/lasers, they can usually be just as easily mistaken for other things such as loud speaker. Halo would be a rather hard sell seeing it contains so many guns. Any guns you may see in custom builds are from third party sellers.

Mega Bloks (now Mega Brands) usually is the one who devours all IPs it can in order to sell their products, having sets involving anything from Halo to Transformers.

--

I have Jeb's live stream open in another tab and all the hard typing makes it sound like their drat commercial "CLACKCLACKCLACK-CLACKITYCLACK", holy poo poo guys you don't need to be beating your keyboards.

ickna
May 19, 2004

DuFfY posted:

The Mojang guys are making a game for mojam as we speak and are streaming it here:

http://www.twitch.tv/mojang

It is interesting to see them at work.

the people in the chat box seem more concerned with making creeper and steve emotes because watching someone type code is boring.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

krushgroove posted:

Lego Angry Birds

Too late. Someone else already snapped that one up:

Iacen posted:

As far as I know, Lego's got a policy that prohibits depiction of modern warfare. So all the human weapons in Halo, plus the tanks and whatever, would be impossible.
The less war, the better.

I'd ask how Star Wars fits into that (it has 'War' right there in the name!), but I suspect the answer is fairly straightforward (it prints money).

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Fantasy weapons with models that do not resemble modern guns whose parts can also be used for non-weapon purposes.

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

I seem to remember having some kind of wild west set that included pretty distinct revolvers and bows and arrows.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lego based on Minecraft is like Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wheeze posted:

I seem to remember having some kind of wild west set that included pretty distinct revolvers and bows and arrows.

I think there is some degree of non-modern guns (wild-west, ray guns) that sort of fall into a grey area. Wild-West/Cowboys is still fairly kid-friendly falls closer to other fantasy themes like medieval.

That said, I guess it's kinda neat what they did with the Minecraft Lego, but it doesn't seem particularly interesting.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

arhra posted:

I'd ask how Star Wars fits into that (it has 'War' right there in the name!), but I suspect the answer is fairly straightforward (it prints money).

It's not really that no weapons are allowed whatsoever. Lego Castle has always had swords, bows, spears, halberds, lances, catapults and other warlike stuff. And Lego Pirates had muskets, pistols and working cannons.

But mainly the difference between Star Wars™ or Pirates of the Caribbean™ on one hand, and Halo™ on the other, is that the former are mostly about romantic adventure that is suitable for kids (with parental guidance), the latter is for "mature audiences", that is, people who love to snipe others in the face and call them fags.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
So I updated the textures, found a very nice high-res space pack. Also changed the world-gen to place ancient civilization light-poles (backstory that sucks rear end, but they kinda looked neat). I decided to build my spacehouse in a sheltered location. Imagespam incoming....

Also, spacehouse-movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xF47OrUzzE

Now I really miss the transparent blocks, I better get around adding support for that. No windows in space = you gotta stay in the suit forever :(

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Bicehunter posted:

So I updated the textures, found a very nice high-res space pack. Also changed the world-gen to place ancient civilization light-poles (backstory that sucks rear end, but they kinda looked neat). I decided to build my spacehouse in a sheltered location. Imagespam incoming....

Also, spacehouse-movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xF47OrUzzE

Now I really miss the transparent blocks, I better get around adding support for that. No windows in space = you gotta stay in the suit forever :(

Gotta say, I liked it better with the Painterly textures. :D

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bicehunter posted:

So I updated the textures, found a very nice high-res space pack.

Now it looks like a DOOM wad. 100% of the charm is gone. You must change it back.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Polo-Rican posted:

Now it looks like a DOOM wad. 100% of the charm is gone. You must change it back.

Looks more like Blockade Runner to me. Which is obviously not that desirable either. But it doesn't matter at all since it's just placeholder textures, right?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Nenonen posted:

Looks more like Blockade Runner to me. Which is obviously not that desirable either. But it doesn't matter at all since it's just placeholder textures, right?

That's what I had thought. Let's all have a little faith in Bicehunter, okay?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I know it's just a placeholder but it's important for him to realize that the old ones looked a lot better. I'm bitching for his own good! All of my bitching is totally selfless!

edit:
To clarify, so my opinion doesn't feel just totally subjective: The appeal of these Minecraft-like games arises mostly from exploring an inviting world and creating nice and unexpected things with materials you find in that world. The visual direction indicated by bice's new screenshots would totally work if the game were much more focused on survival and featured scary monsters or whatnot. But the vibe I'm getting is that the world is gross and dark and anything I build will look industrial, gross, and dark. The creative possibilities are limited because the new visual aesthetic is too rigid.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 17, 2012

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So is this game (the one bicehunter is making, not minecraft) going to eventually have an atmosphere system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I like it like this because it doesn't resemble minecraft textures. It is quite dark, but space is dark.