Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

President Ark posted:

So is this game (the one bicehunter is making, not minecraft) going to eventually have an atmosphere system?

That would make 3d space station 13 very possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Boiled Water posted:

This has to be done now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Shnakepup posted:

That's what I had thought. Let's all have a little faith in Bicehunter, okay?

There was another man who once made a sandbox block building game in Java all by himself. We had faith in him too.

We won't make the same mistake twice.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

DuFfY posted:

The Mojang guys are making a game for mojam as we speak and are streaming it here:

http://www.twitch.tv/mojang

It is interesting to see them at work.

I missed the coding and am now watching them eat lunch (or dinner?) and I don't know why.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Notch must've been a virgin birth since apparently he never had someone tell him not to wear a hat while indoors and eating a meal with others.

Rude-rear end bro.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Hey hey, I'm not a graphician ;) Point me in a direction where I can find 32*32 or abit bigger textures that is not "earthlike (ie minecraft)" and fit the space-theme and I'll brigthen up the astroid too. The reason it is dark is because I like my ligthing effects :P So I wanted to see more of em. NOW! since you can define your own texture by modifying a text-file already I'd say switching texturepacks isn't to hard.. should the default texture not fit your taste :)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I do like that you're not going with a straight minecraft clone but I also gotta agree that those textures are pretty weak, they make it too dark and industrial and ruin a lot of the "build with what you have" that, to me anyway, is pretty much the point of a block based game.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I like it like this because it doesn't resemble minecraft textures. It is quite dark, but space is dark.

Maybe we should have like a whole assortment of textures, instead of falling into the Minecraft trap of everything being varying shades of grey. I really like the space/sci-fi textures, but I could also see the appeal of a moon made of cheese or a bright green jungle planet.

This game doesn't have any of the retarded limits of Minecraft, let's not pretend it does.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Bicehunter posted:

Hey hey, I'm not a graphician ;) Point me in a direction where I can find 32*32 or abit bigger textures that is not "earthlike (ie minecraft)" and fit the space-theme and I'll brigthen up the astroid too. The reason it is dark is because I like my ligthing effects :P So I wanted to see more of em. NOW! since you can define your own texture by modifying a text-file already I'd say switching texturepacks isn't to hard.. should the default texture not fit your taste :)

I think darkness is fine—it's the color palette and contrast you have to think about. Minecraft's super simple palette works because it's like being handed a set of crayons. Your new texture pack is like handing the player one cranberry crayon and two grey crayons.

If your game is going to be dark it might also be nice if you could implement a second, brighter light block. Thinking about it, the lighting in Minecraft can be annoying. It would be great if I could place a big floodlight that lit a huge radius instead of relying on a million little torches.

edit:
One more thing—if you're struggling with thinking up a "goal" or "endgame," you should just rip off the basic premise of Artifacts, a work-in-progress-since-forever mod. Forget the dungeon poo poo, just think about the "searching for artifacts" element: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/136988-modwip-the-artifacts-mod-a-goal-for-minecraft/

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 17, 2012

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Bicehunter posted:

So I updated the textures, found a very nice high-res space pack. Also changed the world-gen to place ancient civilization light-poles (backstory that sucks rear end, but they kinda looked neat).

Y'know, I am quite the accomplished backstory-smith, if you need a hand with that.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

To add to what others have said, those placeholder textures make the game world seem like the sort of place that you're not supposed to be/are trying to escape from. To contrast, Minecraft's textures are such that you are supposed to want to stay in the world, build stuff there, etc. Generally, you should choose your textures to fit what the actual idea of the game is, so you current textures could work if the game isn't going to be about building permanent settlements but rather progressing to new areas at a regular pace... if you intend people to build cool stuff rather than just explore, though, then you'll want a warmer environment.

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
I crawl to the cross with a slightly ligher world and with the older textures and present to you the duality in rayguns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc1_IuL4RIo

one that grows plants, the other that reduce them to ashes (- the ashes part since there is no blockdestruction animation yet).

*edit* also not rayguns, more like plasmaguns..

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
guys stop bashing on bicehunter's graphics.

I for one like his somewhat grimdark space game. I hope it adds some survival/exploration elements like having to make airtight structures or running out of O2

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Dibujante posted:

I for one like his somewhat grimdark space game. I hope it adds some survival/exploration elements like having to make airtight structures or running out of O2

Don't worry, it is good to hear what people say :) Besides, it a moot point since texturepack support will be available. Also, it is so early in development for me that I have not yet chosen a theme that the "default theme" will be, right now its just a bunch of textures taken from some different minecraft packs.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Enzer posted:

Doesn't look like the Lego designers were given much time to come up with something either, design takes several months usually.

Also, correction on my part, molds cost between 40,000 and 200,000 Euros, not including cost of design and prototype mold nor the every three week upkeep they receive.

Found that documentary by the way, really interesting in that not only does it go into the history of the company, but goes through the entire process of building a new set (in this case a police station) from idea to manufacturing.

Part 1 (Starting around 13 min shows the process of making a new mold, continues into part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puo6yvgoKfI
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COgDQisqx6M&feature=related
Part 3 (Decorating/Painting machines)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHjd6XmySA&feature=related

Sorry, I'll keep the Lego chat down, just a huge fan of the toy. :P

This was a really cool watch, thanks for the link enzer... hip hip hooray!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dibujante posted:

He could make it work like water in mine craft, it would drain out of things and currents would pull you to the leak.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ColHannibal posted:

He could make it work like water in mine craft, it would drain out of things and currents would pull you to the leak.

Nothing should ever work like water in minecraft.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

bango skank posted:

Nothing should ever work like water in minecraft.

*dumps a bucket onto a wall, creates a personal elevator*

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

kas posted:

Gotta say, I liked it better with the Painterly textures. :D

Hey, is it ok if/when I ever decide to release some early alpha thingie that it comes with some of your textures?

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Boiled Water posted:

When I hear "Space" and "Minecraft", I add "Trading" and think of a game that's a cross between Minecraft and Elite. And that sounds like an awesome idea.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Bicehunter posted:

Hey, is it ok if/when I ever decide to release some early alpha thingie that it comes with some of your textures?

Send me an email using the link at the painterlypack website and we'll hammer something out. :)

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

kas posted:

Send me an email using the link at the painterlypack website and we'll hammer something out. :)

:ohdear: you're going to sue him for releasing screenshots of his game and stealing your textures, aren't you?

I mean, it's already been demonstrated how NOT to do that, so you can do it right! :black101:

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

bbcisdabomb posted:

:ohdear: you're going to sue him for releasing screenshots of his game and stealing your textures, aren't you?

I mean, it's already been demonstrated how NOT to do that, so you can do it right! :black101:

I've got my torpedoes ready for him, using his own explosion animation; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLO9Jqdp7jU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bicehunter posted:

I've got my torpedoes ready for him, using his own explosion animation; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLO9Jqdp7jU

Visit scenic SpaceCraft! Make beautiful worlds! And then destroy them!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Captain Invictus posted:

I bet you call Kleenex "tissues" and Band-Aids "bandages". :colbert:

The point is that LEGO is already plural.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
No, no it is not.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Lego is a brand. Lego brick is the singular, Lego bricks is the plural.

Common usage has shortened those phrases to "lego" and "legos" respectively. Anyone who says otherwise is a pedantic fool who probably also follows arcane and depreciated grammar rules such as not ending sentences with prepositions, and using "he or she" instead of the singular "they."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Who cares because they're toys

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I could see the argument if Lego continued to make any other toys beside the brick sets and stuff to go with them, but one look at their website makes it completely clear that even they consider the name synonymous with the bricks.

edit: As a pointless contrast, even Kleenex makes non-"Kleenex" products, specifically disposable hand towels, dinner napkins, and wet wipes.

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 18, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
A side effect of caveless word is that a dungeon that tries to spawn near a stronghold will connect to it. I had a nice one attach itself nicely behind a dead end door.

I miss playing MC online but after beta 1.7 it kind of fell apart for me. It looks like the snapshot is going in the right direction at least. I really do like those rainforests and climbable vines. I built a treehouse.

To be honest I actually like the direction that indie MC like game on XBL is going. Goddamn it give me spikes, C4 and a grenade launcher in MC!
Shhh... I'm not allowed to have it because I'm Aussie.

I know I came here to say something else. I'm sick and it's hot. Brain not working too good.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

IUG posted:

Visit scenic SpaceCraft! Make beautiful worlds! And then destroy them!
What's the point of being a god if you can't be a vengeful one?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Dibujante posted:

C'mon, Bicehunter, you got what you want. Give these people air!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I think it's an avenue to run with, actually, who doesn't want to build space stations and poo poo. Gets you away from the bucolic style of Minecraft with the sheeps and cattles and swines.

I actually started thinking Kerbal Space Program with the atmosphere talk.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

bicehunter posted:

Changelog:
Implemented breathing and suffocation from lack of air.
A full pressure system- take damage when exposed to vacuum or extreme pressure.

TODO:
Implement air
Implement space suits

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Now you guys have me imagining some hypothetical minecraft clone that combines everything good about minecraft with everything good about the Garry's Mod addon Spacebuild.

Don't toy with my emotions like this. :sigh:

*Edit*
Minecraft + Spacebuild + Stranded 2 ... shiiiiiiiittttt

Locus fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 18, 2012

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Throw in some freespace style space combat and the scale of the X Universe.

... I'm... not helping, but i'd sure play the HELL out of that product.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

E: sorry wrong thread

I had a hard time telling that the screenshots above weren't from minecraft.

HATECUBE fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 18, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dibujante posted:

But... nobody is bashing his graphics? Currently he's using custom Minecraft textures, and all that people are commenting on is whether the styles suit it or not.

Hopefully he recruits a talented artist to design an original look for the project. But gameplay has to come first in priorities, visuals are secondary.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
As long as we're all brainstorming about cool Minecraft in Space ideas, let's do Battlezone with dynamic cube terrain. In other words, FPS/RTS hybrid with Minecraft blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Make it an MMORPGFPSRTSCRAFT.