Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Between the fuel pump and exup motor on the Daytona, it's the loudest startup I've ever heard. And when it does the gauge sweepy thing while it's doing it's startup fuel/air dance.. it's almost magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Deeters posted:

Hearing it prime when I first turn the key makes me feel like a fighter pilot :c00l:

Flicking the killswitch and hearing everything turn on is awesome.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

SaNChEzZ posted:

Between the fuel pump and exup motor on the Daytona, it's the loudest startup I've ever heard. And when it does the gauge sweepy thing while it's doing it's startup fuel/air dance.. it's almost magical.

Don't forget the dialup modem that activates when you turn it off!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My bikes are all carbed, so when I turn them on I feel like a ninja :ninja:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bucephalus posted:

Welp

Well WHILE YOU'RE IN THERE.
Since you've started removing poo poo... you should just keep going.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

titanium posted:

Fender (not actually installed just fitted in the pic), Tank, Risers, Bar, Seat, rear grip, light, and plate mount will all be moved to the new bike.

That frame is ridiculously weak. I like the concept of the bike though.

titanium posted:

Nazis think using a dremel to add a coolant passage and letting the metal shavings fall into the crank case is an okay thing to do.

I know African, Jewish and Asian fellows that thinks it's o.k. too, bro.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well WHILE YOU'RE IN THERE.

shutupSHUTUPSHUTUP

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's the Vmax-est looking 'wing I've ever seen. Background?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That's gorgeous

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

theperminator posted:

Don't forget the dialup modem that activates when you turn it off!

Forgot about that.. the first few times I heard that I was like :wtc: while I was taking off my gear, thought the bike was breaking or something.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Sir Cornelius posted:

That frame is ridiculously weak. I like the concept of the bike though.

It doesnt need to be strong, TW's are as easy going as I've ever ridden. It's nice to have the light frame on that tiny of an engine and for parking. *lift rear and tuck in*. My TW200 is for the city/right lane highway slow cruses/steez , SV650 for the highway fun/long rides.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Rode this route,

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=e...ved=0CBAQ_AUoAg

But we went past Walcha about 20km's to Apsley Falls.

And here's us, me on the Z750 and my friends on the CBR600F4i and Triumph Sprint 1098 (God I just want to marry the Triumph)

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Rudager posted:

Triumph Sprint 1050 (God I just want to marry the Triumph)

Fixed

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I had a nice set of ASV levers I got for my R1, but they got to me after it was sold. The brake lever won't work but the clutch lever did with some modification. I just filed down the metal to fit into the receiver for the clutch. It works perfectly and gives a much better feel for me.

I've still got the original clutch and just stuck it in the rear pouch in case I need it. Anyone see an issue with my redneck engineering? The ASV seems to be made of stronger metal than the stock clutch. The ASV is still thicker than the stock even after being filed down.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I had a nice set of ASV levers I got for my R1, but they got to me after it was sold. The brake lever won't work but the clutch lever did with some modification. I just filed down the metal to fit into the receiver for the clutch. It works perfectly and gives a much better feel for me.

I've still got the original clutch and just stuck it in the rear pouch in case I need it. Anyone see an issue with my redneck engineering? The ASV seems to be made of stronger metal than the stock clutch. The ASV is still thicker than the stock even after being filed down.

That lever looks pretty awesome... how much did you pay for the pair?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

invision posted:

That lever looks pretty awesome... how much did you pay for the pair?

I paid like $75 for the pair, I still have the Brake and will post it later for sale. It's compatible with a lot of bikes. I went through a group buy on the R1 forums and got them stupid cheap, but they didn't show up for 3 months.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I just discovered that Permatex gaset remover has been reformulated to low-VOC and is labeled [more or less] non-toxic now. In contrast, the old stuff was brain eating methylene chloride. So I'm pretty stoked about that, because the otherwise intact valve cover gasket on the GL1100 was slathered with hardened form-a-gasket that needs to be removed in order to get a decent seal. I assume that was done by the PO because of the stripped valve cover screws, in lieu of a proper fix.

Also, I just learned something new. I think the hole was tapped with a plug tap, which is why the threads don't reach to the bottom. What I need is a bottoming tap. Sadly, the local hardware store doesn't think the customer deserves to select between tap types, so m6 taps are sold as plug type only. I'll be off to use-enco.com then.

I noticed that underside of the final drive on the 650 Seca is covered with oily dirt, so it looks like I'll be replacing one or more seals when I swap the ancient Checg Shin tires off it, sometime soon. Anyone know if that's a tricky job?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
So i was skimming craiglist last night checking parts and as i was looking some lady posted a Sporty peanut tank for 25 dollars :stare:

I called after it only being posted for 2 minutes and she was pretty surprised. Picking it up this afternoon for the vt800 project.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

AnnoyBot posted:

Also, I just learned something new. I think the hole was tapped with a plug tap, which is why the threads don't reach to the bottom. What I need is a bottoming tap. Sadly, the local hardware store doesn't think the customer deserves to select between tap types, so m6 taps are sold as plug type only. I'll be off to use-enco.com then.

You can actually find some dirt cheap (but still decent) HSS taps on eBay. I grabbed a set after I snapped my cheapy carbon steel and all I needed was an M8.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Errant Gin Monks posted:

So i was skimming craiglist last night checking parts and as i was looking some lady posted a Sporty peanut tank for 25 dollars :stare:

I called after it only being posted for 2 minutes and she was pretty surprised. Picking it up this afternoon for the vt800 project.

Pics or it didn't happen.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Finally installed the battery tender that's been sitting in my apartment for well over a month. Was pleasantly surprised to see it's connected via coax and comes with mini jumper cables, too. Used them to charge the battery on the scooter that never gets used.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Forty Two posted:

You can actually find some dirt cheap (but still decent) HSS taps on eBay. I grabbed a set after I snapped my cheapy carbon steel and all I needed was an M8.

Yeah this will probably end up being the answer.

So how many days of gasket scraping have to go by before it's officially an obsession? I've been working the rubber valve cover gasket over with a dental pick and I think it's about as clean as it will ever get. The low VOC remover works, but it's slow and takes many applications. I found that a copper brillo pad is awesome where there's room to use it. Since it's softer than aluminum you can just bear down and get a perfect surface without any scratches.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
As if I can actually afford it, I bought a pair of Pilot Road 2s for the ol' Ulysses. The Battlax I have on it is pretty dangerously low. I'm only going to ride them to the shop to have the tires swapped. Actually I think I'm coming in pretty low on cost; 10% coupon code at motorcyclesuperstore (thanks whoever posted that!) brought the pair down to like $243, and Ducati Bellevue seem to like doing tires 'cause they only charge $60 to do it including wheel removal and reinstall.

I think I can finally use the handy-dandy triple tail to help secure the tires to the pillion for the trip in :D

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got paid for it. :whatup:

Getting approximately 33% more than what I paid a year and a half ago for the SV1k. Gonna send them invoices for gear later, and talk about injury compensation as well.

I'm gonna miss those grunty 996 cc's, but I don't really know what's next. Some of this will go towards getting the Ninjette back on the road in the meantime. I'm still jonesing for a DRZ or SMC 690 but I don't think that's in the cards for a while.

e; Jesus, just saw the 60 month 0% financing from Suzuki. Maybe that DRZ is closer than I thought. :swoon:

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 24, 2012

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
It was payday, and it's getting closer to riding season, so I spent monies.

Ordered some Oberon footpegs. Touring for the front, and smaller racing ones for the rear. http://www.oberon-performance.com/acatalog/Foot_Peg_Kits_FK.html

Ordered some black reflective rimtape for my black wheels.

Some V-Strom hand guards to keep the wind off my hands during cold spring/fall rides.

And some odds and ends to make my naked conversion more OEM.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

sirbeefalot posted:

Got paid for it. :whatup:

Getting approximately 33% more than what I paid a year and a half ago for the SV1k. Gonna send them invoices for gear later, and talk about injury compensation as well.

I'm gonna miss those grunty 996 cc's, but I don't really know what's next. Some of this will go towards getting the Ninjette back on the road in the meantime. I'm still jonesing for a DRZ or SMC 690 but I don't think that's in the cards for a while.

e; Jesus, just saw the 60 month 0% financing from Suzuki. Maybe that DRZ is closer than I thought. :swoon:

Free money go go go buy buy buy...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sirbeefalot posted:

Financing a DRZ is just silly. Buy a nicely modded one for 4k and be happy.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont finance a DRZ.

But DO buy a DRZ.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Financing a DRZ is just silly. Buy a nicely modded one for 4k and be happy.

Yeah, reason took over pretty much immediately after I posted that. I haven't seen one on a local lot in a while, anyway.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

sirbeefalot posted:

Yeah, reason took over pretty much immediately after I posted that. I haven't seen one on a local lot in a while, anyway.

http://www.bikefinds.com/suzuki-drz400-supermoto-for-sale Helped me a lot looking for mine, I also posted a "looking for drz sm" ad in CL. I got a few calls some were way to high, but the guy that called me saw my ad.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Changed the oil, lubed the brake lever (the grease had dried out and gotten all gungy, so the braking response was a bit jerky when you applied the brake), and installed the TechSpec grip rubber I ordered last week. Bought a couple of sheets raw and made my own pattern up as they don't have a ready-made product for my bike. The application went pretty smoothly, I rode it home easy while the adhesive is setting up (I'm a noob still so it's not like I ride that hard anyway), so looking forward to trying them out properly. Initial impressions are that they are way grippier than the satin finish paint on the tank...

I forgot to check the chain slack and lube it. Next time!

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 25, 2012

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005
Installed some Woodcrest Frame Sliders on my R6. Opted for the "cut" version after reading horror stories about the no-cut brackets breaking easily in an accident. A friend helped me with the cut and we just went slow and steady with a dremel. I think it turned out pretty well!

Next on the list of mods is a integrated rear light for turn signals since the small ones I got aren't bright enough for me.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Took inventory of what needs to be done to the Ninjette before Jennings next month:

- Go back down to 14t on the front sprocket. The 15t is nice for highway cruising, but the bike is lethargic enough as it is without losing that little bit of acceleration.
- I had planned on switching my coolant to water anyways, but doubly so now that I've learned that it's actually more efficient at keeping the engine cool, as well as being less messy.
- Fit, zip-tie-stitch, and duct-tape together the ratty set of plastics I have to use as track plastics.
- Front wheel and steering head bearings need repacking. I get some handlebar shudder under heavy braking, and I'm not entirely sure what's causing it yet.
- Lube up control cables.

Basics, but the anticipation of going is killing me :buddy:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

AncientTV posted:

- I had planned on switching my coolant to water anyways, but doubly so now that I've learned that it's actually more efficient at keeping the engine cool, as well as being less messy.

One new thing to learn might be that antifreeze contains active corrosion inhibitors and, depending on brand and method, some nice stuff that actually helps your seals and gaskets not drying out and cracking.

Running pure water is pretty goddamn stupid on a bike you don't plan to take apart after each drive.

You've also been lied to. Pure water will definitely be more efficient at cooling than water mixed with antifreeze. It's just not a brilliant idea for the above reasons.

Running pure water is for racing, since antifreeze is some nasty slippery poo poo to get on the track if you happen to do a Mootmoot.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 26, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Drop some water wetter in there if you're concerned about losing lubricating/etc properties.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Drop some water wetter in there if you're concerned about losing lubricating/etc properties.

The Norse Gods demands that you shut the gently caress up. We can't all live in California. But you're right.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Sir Cornelius posted:

The Norse Gods demands that you shut the gently caress up. We can't all live in California. But you're right.

Cornelius please don't ever change.

On that note I just ordered some water wetter...

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Cornelius please don't ever change.

If you were ever forced to read some Charles Dickens, you'd know that I'm not the one to change.

Cast is:

The Ghost of Christmas Past: Cornelius, Sir

The Ghost of Christmas Present: Mootmoot

The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come: Z3n

Ebenezer Scrooge: You

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Sir Cornelius posted:

You've also been lied to. Pure water will definitely be more efficient at cooling than water mixed with antifreeze. It's just not a brilliant idea for the above reasons.

That's what I said, that water is more efficient at cooling.

Sir Cornelius posted:

I live in Florida, so it's much of the same weather.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

AncientTV posted:

I live in Florida, so it's much of the same weather.

Fine, then I can hate both of you equally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Fine, then I can hate both of you equally.

Hate him a bit less because there are no corners in Florida!