Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

eating only apples posted:

2. There's always a risk, but for the most part the containers seem fairly safe. NPCs will take food and weapons though if you're in the same cell (and maybe if you're not?) The containers in the two player houses are definitely safe though.

Minor quibble but there are way more than two player houses: Lucky 38, Novac hotel room, the four faction safehouses, Elijah's ugly bunker and the ultimate player house, The Sink.

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're doing the Yes Man ending, yeah, give the chip to House before you kill him.

This could go either way, honestly. House has a little more backstory to give if you stick with him, but if you kill him and let Yes Man figure everything out he has pretty funny dialogue the whole way. Neither gives any actual benefit outside of flavour text, I believe.

It just depends on who you like more I think v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I kind of wish the Sink wasn't so great since it's a pain to get to, especially for those of us who risk a crash every time we go near OWB.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

vyelkin posted:

I kind of wish the Sink wasn't so great since it's a pain to get to, especially for those of us who risk a crash every time we go near OWB.

Wasn't there an item that allowed you to warp to it instantly?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Bluemillion posted:

Wasn't there an item that allowed you to warp to it instantly?

There is. It's a "gun". Shoot it and you're there. Did it enough times to move all my poo poo from Lucky 38 to there. Never crashed.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's the base game and all the DLC ("some guns" being one of the DLC releases)

according to their ad

"Beyond the Wasteland: The world of New Vegas is more expansive than ever. Each new distinct area presents a fresh set of branching-quests, remarkable personalities and more chances to play the Savior or the Pariah to the natives of New Vegas."

that sounds like it could be restored original content? or just vague enough to be BS tweaks.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
That is because the DLCs all have their own choices to make, characters to interact with etc. Granted the natives of New Vegas bit is a bit weird.

But yeah, there's no restored content or anything else. It's literally the original main game plus all the DLCs released. There's nothing new in the Ultimate Edition that hasn't been released earlier.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I gave him Christine's Sniper Rifle. poo poo just died, only it was really quiet about it.

Actually, when companions fire silenced weapons, they still make the same amount of sound as their non-silenced counterparts.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Stroth posted:

Well, if you're doing that then you probably don't want to give him that rifle since it's kind of implied that he used to kill his wife. It's sort of a dick move.

Where does it say that?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Sam. posted:

Where does it say that?

Well...

It's a +crit rifle in a spot overlooking where Boone would have likely been when he shot his wife. The implication is pretty obvious. :v:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

poptart_fairy posted:

Well...

It's a +crit rifle in a spot overlooking where Boone would have likely been when he shot his wife. The implication is pretty obvious. :v:

Not really. There's a note in Col. Hsu's office stating that both the sniper nest and the rifle were placed there by NCR rangers.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

DoctorTristan posted:

Not really. There's a note in Col. Hsu's office stating that both the sniper nest and the rifle were placed there by NCR rangers.

Nope. Firstly it's in Curtis's office, and secondly here it is!

DELIVER STATION Camp
Forlorn Hope
FOR Polatli, Joseph (Major)
OR HIGHEST RANKING OFFICER

Major,

This is to inform you that a small sniper nest has been successfully set up near Cottonwood Cove as requested. The nest should have some bedding and a small amount of supplies, but no weaponry.

The sniper should be forewarned that the position is close to the enemy camp and upon completing his or her objective, should get the gently caress out of there as soon as flamingly possible.

The coordinates are: 12, -22

Good luck and good hunting.

Signed,
De Leon, David
Field Preparations Division

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

eating only apples posted:

stuff

Oh right. Looks like I remembered incorrectly.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

CatchrNdRy posted:

according to their ad

"Beyond the Wasteland: The world of New Vegas is more expansive than ever. Each new distinct area presents a fresh set of branching-quests, remarkable personalities and more chances to play the Savior or the Pariah to the natives of New Vegas."

that sounds like it could be restored original content? or just vague enough to be BS tweaks.

No it sounds like they mean "Each DLC area has new quests with branching storylines"

They didn't alter the base game at all. It's just Fallout:Vegas + DLC

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There are people who still think that EWs suck compared to Guns. :psyduck:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

rope kid posted:

Either they haven't patched the game since release or they're way too impatient to wait for the higher level stuff. Hell, mid-level even. The RCW alone makes the Energy Weapon group worthwhile.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

rope kid posted:

I'm willing to bet that it's because of the rebalancing compared to FO3 - in FO3, Laser/Plasma rifles were mid-late game weapons rather than entry level weapons so people pick them up thinking that they're skipping forward only to find out that it's level appropriate and disappointedly blame it on EWs being "terribad" or whatever.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Alouicious posted:

Either they haven't patched the game since release or they're way too impatient to wait for the higher level stuff. Hell, mid-level even. The RCW alone makes the Energy Weapon group worthwhile.

The Gauss rifle does more damage per shot than the anti-materiel rifle, and is only EW skill 75. The biggest problem I have with EWs is the lack of unique pistols. C'mon, now, Pew Pew and the compliance regulator and that's it? Get out of my house Josh "Hitler" Sawyer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Dush posted:

The Gauss rifle does more damage per shot than the anti-materiel rifle, and is only EW skill 75. The biggest problem I have with EWs is the lack of unique pistols. C'mon, now, Pew Pew and the compliance regulator and that's it? Get out of my house Josh "Hitler" Sawyer.

If you haven't already, get Gun Runner's Arsenal and pick up the unique recharger pistol from Cliff Briscoe (or from the Gun Runners if you made him stand in front of the dinosaur or something). That poo poo's so completely overpowered that you'll only ever haul out the gauss rifle when you're hunting deathclaws or similar big game.

Forumpost
Jan 17, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

If you haven't already, get Gun Runner's Arsenal and pick up the unique recharger pistol from Cliff Briscoe (or from the Gun Runners if you made him stand in front of the dinosaur or something). That poo poo's so completely overpowered that you'll only ever haul out the gauss rifle when you're hunting deathclaws or similar big game.

Pew pew is considerably stronger than the recharger pistol, especially with max charge ammo, but it's really good if you're playing hardcore.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Forumpost posted:

Pew pew is considerably stronger than the recharger pistol, especially with max charge ammo, but it's really good if you're playing hardcore.

The catch is unless you deliberately go for it and know ahead of time, it can take a very long time to get it. My first run I didn't finish that quest until the very end when I was doing "Clean up" before the finale.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

My only complaint about Energy Weapons is that it's sometimes difficult to find certain mid-range weapons like the Plasma Defender.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Forumpost posted:

They actually cap out the same (150 dps) if you're using regular ammo. And one doesn't use any ammo at all :smug:

And besides, if something needs to get hit with max charged cells, its probably better to just use something bigger than a pistol anyway. Shrug! Pew Pew looks better, though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What is the breakdown of energy weapons vs. guns in New Vegas?

I've been working my way up from Fallout 1 over the past month or so, and I'm now up to New Vegas. In the earlier games it was basically just "small guns early, energy late", but with this game there are so many guns and so many gun stats (damage per shot vs threshold, refire rate, action point cost, so forth) that I'm having a hard time figuring out which way I should swing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've been working my way up from Fallout 1 over the past month or so, and I'm now up to New Vegas. In the earlier games it was basically just "small guns early, energy late", but with this game there are so many guns and so many gun stats (damage per shot vs threshold, refire rate, action point cost, so forth) that I'm having a hard time figuring out which way I should swing.

Short of spergy min-maxing (i.e. "Choose 'guns' over 'energy' because the top conventional weapon does 12% more damage than the top energy weapon," etc.) just remember that you can't silence energy weapons. :science:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DaveWoo posted:

My only complaint about Energy Weapons is that it's sometimes difficult to find certain mid-range weapons like the Plasma Defender.
Yeah, it was definitely more of a struggle to find/make appropriate enemies and vendors with EWs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Short of spergy min-maxing (i.e. "Choose 'guns' over 'energy' because the top conventional weapon does 12% more damage than the top energy weapon," etc.) just remember that you can't silence energy weapons. :science:

The more you know! Yeah, that's the kind of thing I was asking about, thanks (though I do tend to sperg out a bit anyway). I generally prefer "real" guns anyway for MY IMMERSION, though each time I found the Alien Blaster in the earlier games I got seduced by its lustrous sheen. I don't want to do that this time through so as to save points, so that's why I was asking.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 15, 2012

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Honestly I found a fully-modded laser rifle to be a perfectly serviceable sniper rifle, and I used it throughout the entire game. Energy weapons rule.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sheen Sheen posted:

Honestly I found a fully-modded laser rifle to be a perfectly serviceable sniper rifle, and I used it throughout the entire game. Energy weapons rule.

It's great until you get the Gauss Rifle. A Gauss Rifle with high Energy Weapons and a stealth critical is pretty much a one-hit kill on anything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Essentially New Vegas makes it so energy weapons and guns are equally available at the start, and energy weapons don't really surpass guns late game, so the character you want to play isn't dictated by game mechanics.

In short: Use the guns you think are cool flavor wise. Hell you can probably boost both of them if you have enough skill points to go around.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

RagnarokAngel posted:

In short: Use the guns you think are cool flavor wise. Hell you can probably boost both of them if you have enough skill points to go around.

I've only ever used two guns in my entirety of playing new Vegas: the varmint rifle and the anti-materiel rifle. With Boone and EDI, what else do you need? :smug:

edit: Don't get me wrong, when I pick up new weapons I tinker with them for a bit, maybe kill a few guys, but I always go back to what I know. There's just something satisfying about watching someone explode through a scope.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hell you can probably boost both of them if you have enough skill points to go around.

If you have all the dlc, and take skilled, comprehension, and the other perk that gives you 2 more skill points along with a high intelligence, you totally can max everything.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just plain prefer how guns "feel" in NV. Lasers don't hit very hard, plasma's annoyingly inaccurate even at high levels of EW skill, and the Gauss Rifle is extremely keen but it's one weapon to dump all those skill points into EW to use.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

3Romeo posted:

I've only ever used two guns in my entirety of playing new Vegas: the varmint rifle and the anti-materiel rifle. With Boone and EDI, what else do you need? :smug:

edit: Don't get me wrong, when I pick up new weapons I tinker with them for a bit, maybe kill a few guys, but I always go back to what I know. There's just something satisfying about watching someone explode through a scope.

I ended the game using Christine's Silenced Sniper Rifle exclusively. With the Elite Riot Gear I felt like some bad rear end NCR commando.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

I just plain prefer how guns "feel" in NV. Lasers don't hit very hard, plasma's annoyingly inaccurate even at high levels of EW skill, and the Gauss Rifle is extremely keen but it's one weapon to dump all those skill points into EW to use.

I like to mix it up by having an Energy Weapons guy that also has quite a few points in Melee. That way when you want something to satisfyingly go flying in a spray of blood and body parts, break out Oh Baby! or the chainsaw.

Holorifle is also quite fun to use, because it has the weird shotgun-esque pump-reload (and it hits like a brick).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The LAER (and Elijah's unique one) also owns. Especially with Laser Commander.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yo dawgs I wrote some (more) words about Fallout weapons and weapon skills on my blog if u care --,--'-@

http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/02/fallout-weapon-skills.html

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Oh god, the guy in the comments complaining about catering to 'LARPing in a computer game'. That's precious.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, I didn't really get that. LARPing in a computer game is pretty much just... role-playing, isn't it? That's specifically why it is important to support a player's character concept consistently, if possible.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

rope kid posted:

Yeah, I didn't really get that. LARPing in a computer game is pretty much just... role-playing, isn't it? That's specifically why it is important to support a player's character concept consistently, if possible.

Maybe he is a die-hard min/maxer/twinker and things that role playing is for dorks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Having just finished the main Skyrim story quest I just wanted to say this: Skyrim is very pretty, but I think New Vegas was better in every other way.