Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I would like to see Densha De Go! because I'm a train videogame enthusiast. Also if they have the controller it might be even more interesting to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
And to confuse things further I'll vote Sword of Musashi, as I wanna see the Korea games!

All of these sound like good ones to me though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Put me in for Densha de Go!. Theme episodes are always fun.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Don't let the smile fool you. That's Abe :ssh:

He stole his facial hair!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Go by Train is winning by a landslide (9 votes versus 3 and 2) so that will be next. Thanks!

I guess after that will be Mega Man, then Sword of Musashi. If I still feel like it. Sword of Musashi is kind of a dull challenge in my opinion, but it's worth watching for the South Korea trip aftermath.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 17, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zari-gani, I swear I did not bribe these people.

And Uznare, they do have the controller.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There is no way trains would not win after that picture was posted.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I've wanted to see the train one forever just so I can see what its all about. Those games are super popular there and I have no idea why, like the Horse Jockey simulator games. Has one of those been challenged, yet?

Also, Zari-Gani, you are some kind of super soldier to have translated nearly every game you wanted to do. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we cannot tell you how much we appreciate it enough

That goes for all the timers and Random Stranger too, if I knew all your names I'd thank you personally but that would take up like, a whole page.

That all said, I think Mega Man 1 and 4 are the only episodes I watched without subs, just cause I know what was going on already, and they are pretty good episodes from what I saw. When they are eventually done, I'd love to see them again.

On the live episode front, I think faxing in from the English Speaking world would really be a good idea, I'm sure they would appreciate it after having come to the US for a special recently, too.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Command Ant posted:

Arino has a real "Joel Hodgson" quality to him. I'll bet they could switch jobs and do just fine.

God, I don't know what's meaner; making Arino watch Manos: Hands of Fate or making Joel play Takeshi no Chosenjou.

I would like to see the Torgorino they would no doubt make for the commercial bumper, though.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

That's okay. I need to brush up on my train terminology anyway. That'll teach me to post a picture of Abe in a hat.

Wait, Random Stranger... do you own one of those controllers?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

Hope in the end all three get translated. But I have to ask, why hasn't the season Mega Man 4 is in hasn't had any work done? Or the later after that (barring the USA Special).

Who says nothing from season 14 or 15 has been translated?

zari-gani posted:

Wait, Random Stranger... do you you own one of those controllers?

I wish. They're really expensive unless you get one of the PS1 or Dreamcast ones and the PS1 controllers aren't compatible with the PS2 games. I suppose I could get the Wii controller but that one is sell your children into slavery expensive, only works with a game that you have to sell your other child into slavery to afford, and it's probably the worst game in the series anyway (the Shinkansen one sounds like a great idea but it is so weak; Taiwan has a much better bullet train if you want to drive one of those).

My current box from Japan is loaded down with GCCX, Super Famicom stuff, and a copy of Quest of Ki; no room for a Train Simulator or controller this time...

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 17, 2012

Plasquatch
Mar 21, 2007

Yo, PM3:00 desu ka?
Out of curiosity, are there any plans for, or ideas on what to do with, the extended "director's cut" episodes from the DVDs?

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I am hoping that the 3rd Quiz episode get subbed soon. I loved the first 2.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Random Stranger posted:

I wish. They're really expensive unless you get one of the PS1 or Dreamcast ones and the PS1 controllers aren't compatible with the PS2 games.

Are there resources enough to build one? Admittedly, I'm not getting a good look at the controls, but they look like the sort of thing you could kitbash without an unacceptable loss of quality...

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As tempting as that hat is, I also want to place my vote for the Sword of Musashi episode.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

FredMSloniker posted:

Are there resources enough to build one? Admittedly, I'm not getting a good look at the controls, but they look like the sort of thing you could kitbash without an unacceptable loss of quality...

You're paying for the authenticity, though? The whole point of the CS games is that they feel like the arcade experience. I can't imagine playing Densha De Go on a kitbash controller would much more fun than playing it with a dual-shock :{

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Plasquatch posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any plans for, or ideas on what to do with, the extended "director's cut" episodes from the DVDs?

At the moment there are no plans on the DVD edits. Long term that may change but right now people seem to want the broadcast version.

Whileit isn't impossible to assemble your own basic Densha de Go controller there are two problems with this. First, it won't be accurate to the original train and that's most of the reason for getting it. Second, I'm not sure you could get the gauges to work correctly on the controller.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh please? Is it Go by Train!? I mean, what's not to anticipate with that one? In some regards, I don't want to see it, because that means this image I have in my head of Arino sitting in his chair, wearing a conductor's hat, and making train noises probably isn't anywhere near reality...

And because of that, I suddenly have lost the urge to live.

I hate to quote myself, but this was from far back when we were guessing what episode was going to be translated, and as a joke, I said this one.

And now I see that my image was correct! Does this mean I can see into Arino's mind? Honestly, I am excited, and I thank you, Zari-gari, again, for translating my dreams into English from Japanese.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

A lot of the ones I want to do, either someone else has called dibs on them or we'd have to find better video files of (some of the more recent episodes, and yes that includes Battletoads).

Better video files? Hmmm, that should be doable...

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

You thought Batman was a bad game? Really?

Yes. :colbert:

I'm hyped about trains now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

Better video files? Hmmm, that should be doable...

The problems with the video files now are very different from the ones we used to have. The person who is in Japan that has been encoding the versions I get has been doig an incredibly lovely job of it lately. In one episode in the middle they hit FF and ran about two minutes of the episoe at 1.5x speed. On the second Battletoads episode they split the video into two parts and encoded the first ten minutes at 59.8 fps and therest of the episode at 60 fps. They aren't trimming the network bumper and cable box data correctly. They like to encode into a wmv format. The colors tend to look oversaturated though that might not be their fault.

It's still better than the ugly flv files that are out there. I can fix most of these things. It's just that if I can find something better it would be nice.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

joek0 posted:

I am hoping that the 3rd Quiz episode get subbed soon. I loved the first 2.
If anyone is taking note of future episodes to add to a recommendations list, I'd like to just say I really enjoyed this Feudal Lord Quiz episode, surprisingly. The game itself isn't terribly exciting to watch but the entertainment comes from how the staff gets together and reminds us of how we'd do the same thing as kids when we'd "cheat" by maxing out the options, using second player continues, and collective group knowledge. In addition, you get to learn a fair bit about the staff.

Over The Top, transport buffs, and... Cream Lemon? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at that. Oh, and don't forget pics of Arino's youth years... Hopefully the other quiz episodes are just as good.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 17, 2012

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Super Mario World 2-parter :negative:

But really, Densha de go looks interesting!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

softcorps posted:

pics of Arino's youth years...

Someone needs to track down some tunes by his band.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I am having a blast :geno:

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Hah, oh christ. Translating technical jargon (in the general sense of 'technical') is one of those things that sometimes makes you hate life, but the next time you're able to answer a question about it, you feel like a loving wizard.

"Trust me, it's mascon lever. Look it up if you want but you'll just be wasting time." :smugbert:

Back here in the real world, I doubt many people are going to be too critical if you don't get some train conductor jargon 100% correct, except maybe the train hobbyists or Selphie from FF8. Don't flog yourself too hard over it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Here's hoping Arino points at the signals as he passes.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

zari-gani posted:

You suffer for your art.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

It's still better than the ugly flv files that are out there. I can fix most of these things. It's just that if I can find something better it would be nice.

I did some poking around last night, but only found 640x360 30fps versions of the Battletoads episodes. I'll do some more digging over the weekend.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

zari-gani posted:

zari-gani, you are an amazing person and we lowly goons are truly blessed to have you on board with this.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

zari-gani posted:

Holy poo poo. If I were the translation team I'd have just pretended that episode didn't exist. :v:

Instead, you guys actually recommended it. That's dedication.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

More torrents coming up.

031 - Umihara Kawase
Download torrent81 (1 files; 466.27 MB)
View torrent stats

032 - Contra
Download torrent81 (1 files; 511.87 MB)
View torrent stats

036 - Shadow Lands
Download torrent81 (1 files; 471.75 MB)
View torrent stats

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 17, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Haha, well I'm only doing it because it's a fun episode to watch. Here's another preview so that my other one doesn't scare people off.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I wish there were some way I could help get these out faster. :stare:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
By those grabs alone Trains is going to be splendid.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

I did some poking around last night, but only found 640x360 30fps versions of the Battletoads episodes. I'll do some more digging over the weekend.

The Japanese just don't put the care and attention into their TV stealing like we do. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

zari-gani posted:

Haha, well I'm only doing it because it's a fun episode to watch. Here's another preview so that my other one doesn't scare people off.

:laffo: "too much horn"

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I've already seen the train episode on that blog, but it will be awesome to watch it in English. :)

zari-gani posted:

"An out-of-control conductor. From Kawasaki to Tsurumi, he starts a drag race with the train next to him."

Arino would've been the coolest and most dangerous train conductor if he went down that career path.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Obeast posted:

"An out-of-control conductor. From Kawasaki to Tsurumi, he starts a drag race with the train next to him."
I think we just found the subject matter for Abe's next manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
This is very important.

..Does Arino constantly point at the TV, whenever he sees a signal?