Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pope Ron Paul II posted:

Man, that is a drat shame. I mean, that brick wall was pretty old. :downs:

Serious post: What kinda damage would you say that 'stang would've sustained? That tyre is looking mighty outta shape.

It is a shame, the owner was pretty sad. I didn't ask him how it happened. I completely spaced on getting pictures of the side which took the brunt of the damage unfortunately. The passenger wheel is bent severely from the curb, the front bumper, side panel, and hood are all crushed in around 9-12" from the wall. Oil and coolant on the ground in various quantities, but I saw it after the kitty litter was tossed on it.

At worst he should be able to part out the interior and rear end. It wasn't in perfect condition, but I would say fair-good for the age. The upholstery seemed to be standing up well, I assume the 4-speed is fine, steering wheel was missing the center cap. He volunteered that he had really good insurance on it, though I doubt repairing the wall is all that expensive unless the engineers say something really bad. The building is held up more or less by wood rafters these days for earthquake retrofitting.

Edit:
Our office manager who also happened to drive by got this picture of the damage:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I'm down for a NE meet especially if things will get blowed up. I'll see what I can dig up around here for lawnmower engines and 2 strokes that I can bring to explode. I have a landscaping equipment graveyard.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Billy Tully posted:

I'm down for a NE meet especially if things will get blowed up. I'll see what I can dig up around here for lawnmower engines and 2 strokes that I can bring to explode. I have a landscaping equipment graveyard.

I've got an old Husqvarna 345 chainsaw that needs to die... drat EPA limiter caps and crappy compression.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If we hold this event at my place I can try and blow up the motor in my 98 XJ, it's got a bad head gasket and it's getting so bad it will barely accelerate. I have the new motor sitting there waiting to go in but I feel like I should give it a proper send-off.

I'd do it in Nashua too, but I don't feel like paying the tow bill to get the stupid thing home after.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

If we hold this event at my place I can try and blow up the motor in my 98 XJ, it's got a bad head gasket and it's getting so bad it will barely accelerate. I have the new motor sitting there waiting to go in but I feel like I should give it a proper send-off.

I'd do it in Nashua too, but I don't feel like paying the tow bill to get the stupid thing home after.

Ever heard of AAA plus? 100 miles of free towing.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

kastein posted:

Is it an automatic? Because seized engines and automatic transmissions are a big holy loving pain in the rear end.
This picture sums up how I feel about it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

sharkytm posted:

Just used mine for a 35 mile tow - tow driver told me that would have been a nearly $300 tow without AAA.

So yeah, Plus easily pays for itself for a few years the first time you use it for more than a few miles.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
More than once my 300 miles trip to/from college included a portion on the back of a flatbed. I think I used up my 100 miles every year for like 4 years in a row.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So we had a turbo workshop today, and... well, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

sharkytm posted:

I've got an old Husqvarna 345 chainsaw that needs to die... drat EPA limiter caps and crappy compression.

I also have an old saw you might like so I'll bring it along of we all do this thing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I haven't been a member long enough to sign up for it yet or something.

chrisgt posted:

Is it an automatic? Because seized engines and automatic transmissions are a big holy loving pain in the rear end.
This picture sums up how I feel about it.

Yeah, they are... I'll probably have to pull the torque converter with the motor and then separate afterward. I have a spare transmission, transfer case, a few flexplates, and a reman'd torque converter on hand though so I might just drop those all in at once and then rebuild the transmission and transfer case coming out of it to keep as spares.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!

Billy Tully posted:

I also have an old saw you might like so I'll bring it along of we all do this thing.
I'd be down for a NE AI goon meet/destructothon. I'm about an hour from Nashua so that works for me

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

kastein posted:

Yeah, I haven't been a member long enough to sign up for it yet or something.

Yeah, they are... I'll probably have to pull the torque converter with the motor and then separate afterward. I have a spare transmission, transfer case, a few flexplates, and a reman'd torque converter on hand though so I might just drop those all in at once and then rebuild the transmission and transfer case coming out of it to keep as spares.

There's enough room in a jeep to pull the engine with the TQ attached?
that makes it a lot easier. There isn't enough room on the subaru (due to a two foot rod in the TQ). So sawzall and grinder time...

That engine made the most horrible bone chilling noise ever before it went. It was like the sound of someone dying in pain...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

chrisgt posted:

that makes it a lot easier. There isn't enough room on the subaru (due to a two foot rod in the TQ). So sawzall and grinder time...

That engine made the most horrible bone chilling noise ever before it went. It was like the sound of someone dying in pain...

I usually take the front bumper, grille/nosepiece, and radiator out. Then remove the driveshafts, all hoses and exhaust and stuff you'd normally move to get an engine out, then disconnect a few extra linkages, unbolt the transmission crossmember, and simply pull the entire drivetrain as one assembly. Takes a little bouncing or a tall engine hoist to get the oil pan over the front crossmember with it like that, but I've done it alone twice and with help three or four more times now. My favorite method is to simply roll the jeep out from under the drivetrain a few inches at a time while adjusting the angle the drivetrain is at using a load balancer to make it clear everything.

If I don't care about the chassis I can have the drivetrain out of a jeep in under 2 hours, if I do, it takes more like 3 or 4. Putting it back in takes about the same amount of time.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

PainterofCrap posted:

OTOH, anything's rebuildable if you have the money...

Especially since the first-gen Mustang is probably one of the few cars you can build entirely from mail-order parts. What other cars are on that list? The '57 Chevy was actually done awhile back by Boyd, I'm pretty sure the generic '32-ish hot rod can be done too, and I know from aftermarket 4x4 catalogs that a Jeep CJ is definitely possible (you may not be able to get an aftermarket AMC engine block, but if you want a Chevy V8 in it you're golden).

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

SwashedBuckles posted:

I'd be down for a NE AI goon meet/destructothon. I'm about an hour from Nashua so that works for me

Could you guys do us a favor and make your own thread about it? I doubt I'm the only goon west of the Mississippi who is tired of hearing about it in this "post pictures" thread.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Delivery McGee posted:

Especially since the first-gen Mustang is probably one of the few cars you can build entirely from mail-order parts. What other cars are on that list? The '57 Chevy was actually done awhile back by Boyd, I'm pretty sure the generic '32-ish hot rod can be done too, and I know from aftermarket 4x4 catalogs that a Jeep CJ is definitely possible (you may not be able to get an aftermarket AMC engine block, but if you want a Chevy V8 in it you're golden).

Or go with a new Mopar 4.6L Stroker I6 or any of the reman 4.0 engines available if you want to keep it Jeep but can't locate an AMC block in a junkyard.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Or wait for all the hoarders with the cheater block collections to die.

That Mustang is a hardtop though. It's worth nothing compared to a fastback.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

chrisgt posted:

I've pulled engines from two different Subarus with the torque converter attached with no problems. They were both due to stuck torque converter bolts. Remove the radiator, leave the A/C condenser with cardboard in front of it, remove the front accessories from the motor and it all comes out easy. I don't even break the A/C or power steering lines open.

First one was a '92 Legacy Turbo with all the turbo plumbing still attached, even. The second was a '97 Outback with the EJ25D.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Alphius posted:

I've pulled engines from two different Subarus with the torque converter attached with no problems. They were both due to stuck torque converter bolts. Remove the radiator, leave the A/C condenser with cardboard in front of it, remove the front accessories from the motor and it all comes out easy. I don't even break the A/C or power steering lines open.

First one was a '92 Legacy Turbo with all the turbo plumbing still attached, even. The second was a '97 Outback with the EJ25D.

Hmm, interesting to hear that! A couple people told me that there was no way and I'd have to pull both at the same time. Which I didn't want to deal with.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

chrisgt posted:

Hmm, interesting to hear that! A couple people told me that there was no way and I'd have to pull both at the same time. Which I didn't want to deal with.

What? I thought it was standard procedure when pulling an engine with an automatic transmission that the torque converter comes out with it and just be ready to clean up the ATF that spills out when you tilt the engine to get it out.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've always left the converter in the transmission, but I've never encountered stuck bolts in the converter-flexplate assembly, either. Mostly because I don't want to accidentally shred the torque converter seals. Especially in transverse FWD vehicles, you've either got to leave the torque converter in the transmission, or just yank the whole powertrain assembly out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

What? I thought it was standard procedure when pulling an engine with an automatic transmission that the torque converter comes out with it and just be ready to clean up the ATF that spills out when you tilt the engine to get it out.

Pulling it out that way is fine, though it comes apart much easier if you leave the torque converter on the transmission since the splines don't have to be perfectly aligned and not side-loaded for it to slip apart.

Putting a torque converter on the engine and trying to stab it into the transmission is a recipe for a shredded torque converter, fluid pump, and/or input shaft on the transmission though. I know a few people who have done that.

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009
Yes, the only time it's acceptable to leave the torque converter attached to the engine to pull it out is when the bolts get stuck. Otherwise unbolt it and leave it in the transmission. If you try to re-stab an engine with the TC attached to it, you run a huge chance of destroying the pump, which is not too fun to replace.

If you have to pull the TC with the engine, make sure you're gentle pulling it off the input shaft and make sure you gently put the TC back on the transmission input shaft and fully seat it before stabbing the engine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Now you guys got me wondering how I separated mine when I had my motor rebuilt in 2010...

Ah.

+1 for unbolt the TC

VVV Ja...and the fucker ran hot anyway. Go figure

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 17, 2012

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Looks like you found the emergency reserve of coolant that always hides in a fully drained block until you get it out of the vehicle, too.

I hate that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

kastein posted:

Looks like you found the emergency reserve of coolant that always hides in a fully drained block until you get it out of the vehicle, too.

I hate that.

There's always more coolant. Took the lower radiator hose off and let it drain for half an hour? You're gonna get a shower when you go to put a new hose on.

I haven't had trouble stabbing transmissions into clutch disks yet and I loathe automatic transmissions (the one engine I helped pull that had an auto behind it was pretty janky and stuck). I'm having trouble visualizing the technique for taking the torque converter off of the flex plate without separating the engine and transmission first though...

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
-Remove inspection cover
-Rotate engine until converter bolt appears
-Remove said bolt
-Repeat x2

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Bucephalus posted:

-Remove inspection cover
-Rotate engine until converter bolt appears
-Remove said bolt
-Repeat x2

You forgot the massive cursing and swearing as you realize none of your wrenches can get a good angle on the bolts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sponge! posted:

You forgot the massive cursing and swearing as you realize none of your wrenches can get a good angle on the bolts.

this is the one and only reason I own a 15mm flex-head gearwrench.

drat XJs have 4 bolts, too...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

kastein posted:

This is one of the reasons I buy craftsman wrenches and have a torch and a vise.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

kastein posted:

Yeah, I think mine need tightened too.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

:stare:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

The Third Man posted:

:catstare:

Found the thread.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
that could actually be worse. the fact that the upper spring perch is wedged against the strut tower means that those long bolts aren't load bearing, and only see the forces generated by the damper, which are not as high or abrupt.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

The Third Man posted:

This is the thread:
http://stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26342

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Lord Gaga posted:

This is the thread:

Tags: deez nuts

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Lord Gaga posted:

This is the thread:

I found it here (linked earlier, but in the catstare, so probably not as noticeable).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Lord Gaga posted:

stanceworks

Mystery solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

jamal posted:

that could actually be worse. the fact that the upper spring perch is wedged against the strut tower means that those long bolts aren't load bearing, and only see the forces generated by the damper, which are not as high or abrupt.

Theoretically, it should work fairly well. It's just hideous/scary-looking. A solid spacer would be ideal.