Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
New setup for 2012, my neighbors will hate me:

Also taking suggestions for subwoofer placement.

Belldandy fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Belldandy posted:

Also taking suggestions for subwoofer placement.

Put the subwoofer where you sit. Move around the room and listen to the sub. Determine where the sub is loudest; this is where you want the sub to be in the room. I suggest standing/sitting in areas where the sub is an acceptable location (such as along your walls or next to couch).

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Belldandy posted:

They should cut you some slack, at least it isn't as bad as FF13-1. The AV setup looks nice though.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll try out some other locations.

And yeah, if it was FF13-1 I'd be kicked out by now.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Belldandy posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try out some other locations.

And yeah, if it was FF13-1 I'd be kicked out by now.

I would also suggest moving your left speaker closer to the center of your screen by swapping it and the sub. Seems like you would have issues with imaging with the left speaker so far away from center of the LCD.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Just finished setting up a pair of Energy RC-10's bi-amped with a cheap Lepai LP-269FS amp.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

goobernoodles posted:

Just finished setting up a pair of Energy RC-10's bi-amped with a cheap Lepai LP-269FS amp.

In your last image, you still have your terminals bridged which means you aren't bi-amping. If you remove the gold bridge, it will then be bi-amped. Then your woofer will be powered independently of the tweeter.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Wow you'd think that would do something bad, like fry your amp.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Hes likely not bi-amped only bi-wired

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

jonathan posted:

In your last image, you still have your terminals bridged which means you aren't bi-amping. If you remove the gold bridge, it will then be bi-amped. Then your woofer will be powered independently of the tweeter.

I was going to say, "Hey, it looks like you didn't pull the bridges off" but then I figured that if he was bi-amping, then he knew what he was doing and maybe that gold-colored rectangle wasn't a bridge after all. :shobon:

coolskillrex remix posted:

Hes likely not bi-amped only bi-wired

Either way, those bridges should be off.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Well seeing as bi-wiring is purely aesthetic leaving the bridges on or off doesnt change the performance of the speaker at all.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Well seeing as bi-wiring is purely aesthetic leaving the bridges on or off doesnt change the performance of the speaker at all.

Good point. I figured it as a safety thing before realizing that was stupid.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 29, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
so where in the hell do I find mid-range A/V Furniture?

I'm looking to upgrade my TV Stand from industrial post shelving to something more adult-like. It seems like there's a HUGE gap between ~$200 poorly designed/mediocre quality stuff and ~$1500+ Salamander amazingness.

I'm looking for something in the style of Salamander's triple 236 series because I have a decent amount of stuff I want to tuck-away... Receiver, Center Channel, Cable Box, Router, Boxee Box, PS3, Wii...

I'm also looking for a stand-alone cabinet that could hold dvd's/games/controllers and act as a stand for my record player.

Has anybody found any good Salamander alternative brands?

I like pretty much all of these, salamander has great designs:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

Has anybody found any good Salamander alternative brands?

Looks like something you could build from Lundia parts. Their US pages are among the most terrible I've ever seen but I have a complete bookshelf, two A/V shelves (one low for TV and CC speaker, one medium for everything else) and a two-meter wide work shelf for papers.

One example build:

e: a couple quick shots of what I have:

Hob_Gadling fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 20, 2012

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MMD3 posted:

so where in the hell do I find mid-range A/V Furniture?

IKEA has some really nice looking/solid stuff if you know how to look for it. I'm a big fan of their BESTA and BESTA BURS lines, which run between ~$150 and ~$850. They definitely look a lot nicer (and are built more solidly) than the stereotype particleboard stuff that you'd see at Target. A lot of the components are modular too, so you can build a wall unit or what-have-you to your specs or mix and match colors and finishes (glossy wood/glass doors/red foil/etc.).

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/11794/?pageNumber=0

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
What I did was buy/hack an Ikea Tobo (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20117674/) for my living room. I didn't bother attaching the metal legs and rebuilt the top drawer to serve as a center speaker cubby. You could modify one of the drawers to serve as a slide-out turntable shelf, too.

pastis fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 20, 2012

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Yes and no. Bi amping is useful if you're running highs off one amp, woofers from another. If they're programmable amps, you could even do away with the crossovers in the speaker.

Biamping from a single amp ? Arguably a waste of speaker cable.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

I'll have to stick with a bedroom setup for now:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Synathaesia posted:

I'll have to stick with a bedroom setup for now:

Is that a desk or a workbench? It looks tall.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Temporary setup (5 months and counting -_-)

Not pictured are the B&W DME110s that the Concept 16.5 is powering, since it's my computer that they're hooked up to right now. I need to get the TV up on the wall so I have room on the ikea shelves to spread my stereo stuff on and use my speakers with it.

Synathaesia
Jul 4, 2009

it's been a hard day's night
and I'd been workin' like a dog

qirex posted:

Is that a desk or a workbench? It looks tall.
It is a desk. A lovely, awful desk that I wish I could burn.

doctor_god
Jun 9, 2002
I just moved out of an apartment into my first house, so I took the opportunity to upgrade all my home theater gear:

Projector: Panasonic AE-7000
Screen: VisualApex 120" fixed-frame
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1021K
Speakers: Pioneer "Andrew Jones" set (SP-FS51-LR fronts, SP-BS21-LR rear surround, SP-C21 center, and SW-8 sub)
HTPC: Habey EPC-6568S running XBMC on Linux
Shelving: Slightly customized IKEA Besta

The wiring has been properly hidden in the walls since this picture was taken, and everything is connected to a 20TB media server and whole-house UPS tucked away under the stairs.

My old Onkyo HTIB setup is now serving as hilariously overqualified computer speakers.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

AzCoug posted:

I have a Monster PowerCenter similar to this, http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4445, the other night the power at my house turned off and then on again right away. Everything rebooted, however my Time Capsule has had an flashing amber light ever since. It says the disk needs repair, after some research it sounds like the hard drive is shot.

Has anyone had any experience with filing a claim under Monster's Equipment warranty? How does it work? What are my chances of them covering my Time Capsule? That is the point of these PowerCenters after all...

I don't think Monster is going to help you. From what you are describing it's an issue with the Time Capsule. If the PSU was fried on that device then you'd have a complaint to make.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010

Tremblay posted:

I don't think Monster is going to help you. From what you are describing it's an issue with the Time Capsule. If the PSU was fried on that device then you'd have a complaint to make.

Ya, I suppose. Even if I did want to pursue it, it sounded like they were going to make it as difficult at poo poo to jump through all the hoops. To the point where you would just give up after spending 8 weeks without your equipment and paying for freight.

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

HKR posted:

Temporary setup (5 months and counting -_-)

Not pictured are the B&W DME110s that the Concept 16.5 is powering, since it's my computer that they're hooked up to right now. I need to get the TV up on the wall so I have room on the ikea shelves to spread my stereo stuff on and use my speakers with it.

Is that a Hitbox on top of the amp?

frenchyfff
Feb 11, 2012

I HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING OF BASIC HUMANITY OR EMOTION. ASK ME ABOUT FOOD PAIRINGS FOR CHILD MURDER

pastis posted:

What I did was buy/hack an Ikea Tobo (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20117674/) for my living room. I didn't bother attaching the metal legs and rebuilt the top drawer to serve as a center speaker cubby. You could modify one of the drawers to serve as a slide-out turntable shelf, too.

How big exactly is the shelf? Also how sturdy? My turntable weighs 24lbs according to the manual and fairly large. I have been looking for something like this and had the same thought but Ikea doesn't list the dimensions on the site or weight capacity. Thanks

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Time for a bedroom update. :quagmire:

Got rid of uverse, replaced a wdtv live with a boxee box, and with judicious application of velcro and a couple of screws, mounted it underneath the shelf so the wife stops complaining about the shape. Crappy blackberry pictures ahoy!

modig
Aug 20, 2002

devmd01 posted:

velcro

Velcro is the key to a clean look!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

TV: Samsung LN46A630
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-919AH
Blu Ray: Samsung BD-1600
Xbox 360
Cassette Deck: Sony TC-WE475
Turntable: Technics SL-1400

The floor speakers are JBL ND310s. I got them from a friend about 10 years ago in exchange for a set of cooking knives he couldn't afford. Speakers for knives: best trade ever. Have loved them so much that when I finally upgraded to 5.1, I preferred to match the rest of the speakers to them. Ebay and Craigslist were very helpful. The center is a JBL S-CenterII (mounted on a self-made shelf that rests lightly on the TV and is attached to the media center behind it). Not pictured are the rears, JBL N24s. Sub is a Polk PSW10.

The remote is a Harmony 550. I'll be sad if it ever dies; I like it far more than the current models.

In the bottom right-hand corner you can see a shelving/display unit I made for my growing-too-fast record collection.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

danbanana posted:

Turntable: Technics SL-1400

Does it work well for you to access the turntable when it's in the media center like that? Looks like it would be hard just getting the dustcover off.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Does it work well for you to access the turntable when it's in the media center like that? Looks like it would be hard just getting the dustcover off.

i detached the screws on the back hinges. to access, i remove the whole dustcover. it's not ideal and in my laziness, i leave the cover off far too much, but it works.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Anybody utilize fake plants? I'm trying to make my A/V living room more roomy and welcome.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

89 posted:

Anybody utilize fake plants? I'm trying to make my A/V living room more roomy and welcome.

I use one and I actually think it adds a lot to the room, since I can't exactly use the fireplace anymore anyway.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

89 posted:

Good fake plants can look good, just expect to spend way more on them than actual plants.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

2x Tri-X speakers (center channel is being built, so an Onkyo is there as a placeholder)

12" dayton SUB-1200

55" LG 55LW5600

2x Pioneer S-IW831-LR in wall speakers in the rear (not shown)

raej fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 15, 2012

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

raej posted:

2x Tri-X speakers (center channel is being built, so an Onkyo is there as a placeholder)

12" dayton SUB-1200

55" LG 55LW5600

2x Pioneer S-IW831-LR in wall speakers in the rear (not shown)

Where is the TV stand from?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I ask here because I don't know where to ask. This thread really initially inspired my thought anyways. Is there a proper place or thread here on SA to discuss room/living room setups and arrangement ideas? I guess like remodeling projects or mostly I'm interested in just ideas. Especially out of the box ideas. Not buying new furniture kind of stuff, but originality and ingenuity for room decorating ideas.

My room is half bedroom half living room (it's massive and it's the living arrangement I have with my two roommates). But, even though I have a bunch of cool stuff, I just feel like the room feels empty. Lacking in personality. So, I want ideas and inspiration, yo (especially considering the idea like...not having a lot of money. Like hunting at flea markets kind of stuff). Seems like there would be a place to find that at SA and I'm just looking right over it.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

Tomahawk posted:

Where is the TV stand from?

It's the Linnarp TV Unit from Ikea

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

89 posted:

I ask here because I don't know where to ask. This thread really initially inspired my thought anyways. Is there a proper place or thread here on SA to discuss room/living room setups and arrangement ideas? I guess like remodeling projects or mostly I'm interested in just ideas. Especially out of the box ideas. Not buying new furniture kind of stuff, but originality and ingenuity for room decorating ideas.

My room is half bedroom half living room (it's massive and it's the living arrangement I have with my two roommates). But, even though I have a bunch of cool stuff, I just feel like the room feels empty. Lacking in personality. So, I want ideas and inspiration, yo (especially considering the idea like...not having a lot of money. Like hunting at flea markets kind of stuff). Seems like there would be a place to find that at SA and I'm just looking right over it.

Not that I know of. a few tips right off the back is to think vertically, and use a lot of prints/paintings/other wall art. The biggest contributor to that "spartan" feeling in my experience is a lack of verticality. Furniture is all low to the ground, nothing but low stands and AV racks. It leaves a lot of empty space.

That can work if you say, have large windows, exposed brick, or other interesting features that add texture and depth, but most people just have a lot of plain drywall. It would be nice if we all lived in homes with baked in character, but we don't. The trick then becomes to cut into all that blank space. Think of your empty walls like a skyline. What looks more interesting a small midwest town or a major city?.

There are other things to. I prefer contrast, dark furniture with lighter linens and walls to add depth. I am also a big fan of quirky hanging light fixtures. Really though, just getting some stuff up on the walls and breaking up the "skyline" will help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Edit: Never mind.