Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I couldn't help but think of this parody comic, edited to fit the situation. Arino, tearin' up the rails with eurobeat blasting in the background...

e: Decided to flog myself and play Takeshi's Challenge with the help of a walkthrough, save states, an English patch, and liberal use of the "select trick" as described in the Gamefaqs walkthrough. God drat pain the rear end even with all that. I honestly can't help but feel it's a (unintentional?) brilliant parody of the state of NES games at the time with their absurd difficulty, unforgiving deaths, and completely illogical and obscure "secrets" that were sometimes necessary to beat the game. Remember that spot in Mario 3 where you can duck on that random block and walk in the background? You have to do that no less than four times, or else be unable to finish the game.

I also discovered that the game was apparently at one point the subject of gross misinformation, speculation, and rumor, all of which seem to be conveniently included on this page.

quote:

When you finally break through, it's time for your first task: singing karaoke for an hour.

Your next task is to....do nothing for the next four hours. With one catch: to make sure you're really doing nothing, your finger must remain on the A button.

Once you get to the end of the level and touch a shrine, your screen changes and becomes entirely black except for what looks like Beat's head. All online evidence points to this being the final boss. Which doesn't make much sense; how are you supposed to beat a black screen with a head on it? The answer: by hitting him with any button. TWENTY THOUSAND TIMES.

softcorps fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I need to get some sleep soon, but I decided to check Twitter just now and saw that Kan posted this.

Kan's Twitter posted:

GCCXアメリカロケ時、住宅街のゲームショップで有野さんが「将来こんな感じで店開けたらええな〜」と岐部くんに話してましたが、僕の場合ゲームセンターの親父さんが理想です。昔の筐体置いて…ただメカにからっきし弱いのでメンテができなさそう…(^_^;)
Seeing GCCX mentioned, I decided to give Google Translate a shot to see what he was talking about and it came out with this.

Google Translate posted:

The Kibe-kun was talking with the United States when GCCX Roque, Mr. Arino "~ Yes I feel when I opened this shop in the future" in the game shops in the residential area, father of the game's center is ideal in my case. It can be a maintenance mechanic Karakkishi so weak ... but we put the old enclosure ... (^ _ ^ ;)
I know Google Translate is far from perfect, but I'm curious about why Kibe was talking "with the United States". I highly doubt that they're planning a second trip already, nor do I think it has anything to do licensing the show out again since they seem to be talking about game centers. Could someone give a better translation to see what this might be about and if it could be important?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Obeast posted:

I know Google Translate is far from perfect, but I'm curious about why Kibe was talking "with the United States". I highly doubt that they're planning a second trip already, nor do I think it has anything to do licensing the show out again since they seem to be talking about game centers. Could someone give a better translation to see what this might be about and if it could be important?
I think Kibe is reminiscing about their US trip, specifically the bit where he and Arino were at the used game store and talking about how sweet it would be to open up a game store of their own.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

I'm sure someone'll come along with a better translation but the key thing in relation to your query is 'GCCXアメリカロケ時' and that just means 'when they were filming in America'.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Obeast posted:

I need to get some sleep soon, but I decided to check Twitter just now and saw that Kan posted this.

GCCXアメリカロケ時、住宅街のゲームショップで有野さんが「将来こんな感じで店開けたらええな〜」と岐部くんに話してましたが、僕の場合ゲームセンターの親父さんが理想です。昔の筐体置いて…ただメカにからっきし弱いのでメンテができなさそう…(^_^;)

"When we filmed GCCX in America, in the suburban game shop, Arino was saying to Kibe 'Wouldn't it be great to open a store like this some day?' but if it were me, I'd run a game center. With lots of old arcade cabinets... But I'm really bad with mechanics, so I wouldn't be able to do any maintenance on them."

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I can't wait for that train game episode, it looks like it'll be hilarious. In case anybody still need convincing that train sims can be entertaining to watch, check out Giant Bomb's Quick Looks of the Railworks series:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-railworks/17-2557/

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-train-simulator-2012-trains-vs-zombies-dlc/17-5180/

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Alpha3KV posted:

I can't wait for that train game episode, it looks like it'll be hilarious. In case anybody still need convincing that train sims can be entertaining to watch, check out Giant Bomb's Quick Looks of the Railworks series:

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-railworks/17-2557/

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-train-simulator-2012-trains-vs-zombies-dlc/17-5180/

Imagine the opening of the episode being similar to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rulElJITIVY

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I just got a 27 inch monitor and loaded up Railworks because of this episode discussion and I'm in train heaven.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

I just got a 27 inch monitor and loaded up Railworks because of this episode discussion and I'm in train heaven.

Make sure to buy all related DLC

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

softcorps posted:

I also discovered that the game was apparently at one point the subject of gross misinformation, speculation, and rumor, all of which seem to be conveniently included on this page.

That page is definitely full of misinformation. Funny how it uses a GCCX clip as proof, because the 2-hour live challenge of that game dispels the hour-long-karaoke myth, among other things.

By the way I'm done with Go By Train! and am moving onto Mega Man.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Chwyldro Dawnsio Dawns

zari-gani posted:

That page is definitely full of misinformation. Funny how it uses a GCCX clip as proof, because the 2-hour live challenge of that game dispels the hour-long-karaoke myth, among other things.

Can someone knowledgable and/or called RDBBB explain how the microphone implementation actually works? My understanding was that the Famicom microphone can only detect whether a noise is being made, or whether no noise is being made, in the way that a button is either pressed, or not being pressed? It can't actually analyse the sound being made in any way?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Although the Giant Bomb article about Takeshi's Challenge also has wrong info about the game, this sounds accurate:

Giant Bomb posted:

Although it is impossible for the Famicom hardware to detect the actual vocals themselves, at minimum, one needs to blow into the microphone for the duration with proper timing in order to pass the challenge. The game has measures in place which can notice whether or not this is actually being accomplished. Since later Famicom revisions removed the microphone from the second controller, it is possible to pass this segment by holding the A-button down on the second controller and then hitting down on the d-pad with proper timing.

Now I'm more eager to translate the 2-hour Takeshi's Challenge challenge so people can get a better idea of what the game is like.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I just passed the segment using the A button ('Hello!'), but even with that I had to reload my save state way too many times. Maybe there's a trick to it but I tried just about everything -- pressing in time with the music, pressing in time with the syllables, pressing for the duration of the words... nothing. I think I just passed with luck.

So I found an 80GB torrent of raws (nyaa.eu), picked out the Takeshi's Challenge episode and now I discover there's a drat continue trick. Would've been nice to know earlier, although I guess the select trick worked too.

I found a Let's Play that leaves off where the GCCX two-hour challenge leaves off:

part 5 | part 6 -- warning: player/narrator is annoying as all hell, even moreso than the two measures of music that repeat through the whole game.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on GCCX, LPs, or elsewhere is that if you fly past your target island in the hang gliding segment, you run into military jets trying to shoot you down, and eventually a communist-looking landmass, complete with large red banners of some guy's face.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Hey guys, time for another replacement torrent.

Season six:
Download torrent81 (8 files; 2.63 GB)
View torrent stats

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 14, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Holy poo poo! I just realized who Beat Takeshi is! He's the guy from Sontatine - aka, the only reason you would have to buy the Zatoichi movie on DVD. It was a bonus disc, and it was a really good but really stark and dark movie. He plays a troubled mob boss.

Pretty much, he was a comedian who turned into a serious film maker, and if you can find Sonatine, watch it.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Holy poo poo! I just realized who Beat Takeshi is! He's the guy from Sontatine - aka, the only reason you would have to buy the Zatoichi movie on DVD. It was a bonus disc, and it was a really good but really stark and dark movie.

This is worded really weird.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 19, 2012

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
Translate Princess Tomato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

Holy poo poo! I just realized who Beat Takeshi is! He's the guy from Sontatine - aka, the only reason you would have to buy the Zatoichi movie on DVD. It was a bonus disc, and it was a really good but really stark and dark movie. He plays a troubled mob boss.

And he directed and starred in said Zatoichi movie, which he's most well known for here.

My first exposure to Beat Takeshi was the Battle Royale movie. I thought he was such a bizarre character, then later learned it was pretty much Beat Takeshi playing Beat Takeshi. I mean, the character's name is even Kitano (his real name).

sexy wheely
Oct 11, 2008

nene. posted:

Translate Princess Tomato!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please do this, I would love to see Arino play through this game

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

And he directed and starred in said Zatoichi movie, which he's most well known for here.

That's what threw me off about his post.

zari-gani posted:

My first exposure to Beat Takeshi was the Battle Royale movie. I thought he was such a bizarre character, then later learned it was pretty much Beat Takeshi playing Beat Takeshi. I mean, the character's name is even Kitano (his real name).

Mine as well.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Princess Tomato was requested several times in the other thread; I addressed the issue then and I'll do it again here. I'm a huge fan of the game but neither I nor Nagoyan are interested in translating that episode because we both find it dull. Probably because Arino didn't enjoy it.

^(Arino playing Princess Tomato)

It's pretty much a straight play through with Arino struggling to stay interested. He doesn't joke around much. It might be interesting to people who've never seen the game before, but it's not a top priority for either of us. Sorry.

There is, however, a Japanese class somewhere in the US who told me they're interested in possibly translating that episode as an end-of-the-year major collaborative project, and that's all I'm going to say about that for the sake of discretion. Now let us never speak of royal fruits and vegetables again.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 19, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Is there some technical issue in the way of Super Mario World? I saw the RAW of that recently and it's an instant classic.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

In my case I haven't done it yet for several reasons. It's a two-parter and I shy away from those. There are other episodes I want to do first. I'm generally not a fan of episodes where he challenges well-made games because I don't find them as interesting. The ending's been shown a dozen times. Etc. And I think someone else on our team is interested in translating that one; I stay away from episodes someone else wants to do 'cause I don't want to hog too many and take away any fun from others.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Nagoyan just dropped a huge surprise on the team with his next translation: there's an awesome supplemental video that's coming with it. I don't know how he found this video but it is something to behold.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

Nagoyan just dropped a huge surprise on the team with his next translation: there's an awesome supplemental video that's coming with it. I don't know how he found this video but it is something to behold.

Is it one of the Nintendo Channel exclusive videos?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

Do you want the surprise ruined for everyone who reads the thread? Just be patient.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rirse posted:

It is not. I've got all of the Nintendo Channel videos.

The supplemental video is not a GCCX video. It's something extra special.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Cemetry Gator posted:

Pretty much, he was a comedian who turned into a serious film maker, and if you can find Sonatine, watch it.

If you want to see him in a good funny role, watch Kikujiro.

He still plays a stiff jerk, but it's heartwarming! Really.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
How about the Comix Zone episode? The middle section of that was a dramatic reading of a Megaman game script right?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

7c Nickel posted:

How about the Comix Zone episode? The middle section of that was a dramatic reading of a Megaman game script right?

That was just the new segment for that season.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

zari-gani posted:

^(Arino playing Princess Tomato)

It's pretty much a straight play through with Arino struggling to stay interested. He doesn't joke around much. It might be interesting to people who've never seen the game before, but it's not a top priority for either of us. Sorry.

I did a Let's Play of that stupid game way back in the dark ages of the LP forum. His expression is pretty accurate for anyone who has had to play that game. Death is not a good enough punishment for that stupid persimmon who drops all your items every level.

Kinda surprised at the lack of jokes though, as the game is incredibly nonsensical as it progresses.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

7c Nickel posted:

It was great. :haw:

BAKOON
Feb 1, 2008

the fart doctor
How about Bio Senshi DAN? It is a cool game.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The second error in that shot is that 100 yen is too much to pay for a game of Space Invaders DX.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

zari-gani posted:

"When we filmed GCCX in America, in the suburban game shop, Arino was saying to Kibe 'Wouldn't it be great to open a store like this some day?' but if it were me, I'd run a game center. With lots of old arcade cabinets... But I'm really bad with mechanics, so I wouldn't be able to do any maintenance on them."
Ahh okay. Thank you and the other people who were able to translate that. I am kinda disappointed that there aren't any plans for a second US trip (yet), but at least it's cool that it sounds like they still talk about it. :)

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Donkey Kong Country!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Novasol posted:

Kinda surprised at the lack of jokes though, as the game is incredibly nonsensical as it progresses.

It's not nearly as nonsensical as one of those freaking bizarre western games!

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

redmercer posted:

If you want to see him in a good funny role, watch Kikujiro.

He still plays a stiff jerk, but it's heartwarming! Really.

And you can't forget he was one of the (atrociously dubbed) hosts of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge (Takeshi's Castle) that was on Spike TV for years. So weird watching him in that old goofy show and realizing that's the same guy from all the mob movies/Zatoichi/Battle Royale.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Can we get all the torrents edited into the op?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Oh man, Densha De Go episode? I will watch the hell out of that because it's an awesome game series.