Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tae posted:

You know that Prince Fielder is there, right?

On the "for player" part, which doesn't make any sense for a "bargain" list anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

Well that is certainly a thing. Jesus gently caress, Heyman. Kill yourself.

Having just finished it myself, I have to completely agree with you there. I suspect they couldn't get as much dirt as they hoped for and just started stuffing pages with business BS filler.

I hope they revisit it in 10 or so years, when the interviewees will all be retired or out of sports media and won't give a poo poo anymore, the kind of attitude that made their SNL book awesome.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Hey, you might say the phrase they used for Lin is just an expression. Could happen to anyone, right?

Or...maybe this is just what they do.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Oh and the parts of the ESPN book about the NHL are a must-read for anyone who wonders why the NHL went to OLN/Versus/NBC Sports

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tae posted:

Hey, you might say the phrase they used for Lin is just an expression. Could happen to anyone, right?

oh for gods sakes :ughh:

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands

Tae posted:

Obviously a photoshop, mentions a Western Conference playoff game and the NBA scorebar has East and West teams playing each other

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Heaf posted:

Obviously a photoshop, mentions a Western Conference playoff game and the NBA scorebar has East and West teams playing each other

Those are games from yesterday.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jon Heyman made a "best signings of the offseason" list. It's worse than I could have ever imagined.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34892221

1. Francisco Cordero 2. Brad Lidge 3. Carlos Beltran 4. Ryan Madson 5. Alex Gonzalez 6. Joel Pineiro 7. Chris Capuano 8. Paul Maholm 9. Lyle Overbay 10. Jon Garland 11. Ryan Spilborghs 12. Mike MacDougal 13. Kosuke Fukudome 14. Micah Owings 15. Jonny Gomes 16. K-Rod

I completely honestly did not know Brad Lidge had signed a contract with anyone.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Tae posted:

I'm getting the feeling this ESPNM headline guy is trying to be the NHL.com pun guy, but failing quite miserably.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Tae posted:

Those are games from yesterday.

Right, and the headline is about a game that happened like five years ago.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

MorningView posted:

Right, and the headline is about a game that happened like five years ago.

So is the photo: there's a Playoffs logo on the court. It's from 2007.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If it's a fake, I've been wooshed since that was posted in another thread here.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Tae posted:

If it's a fake, I've been wooshed since that was posted in another thread here.

I have a friend who works at ESPN.com who referenced the Dirk headline today in terms of "it happened again" with the Lin headline, so I don't think it's a fake.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dallas hasn't played Golden State this year.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

OrangeKing posted:

I have a friend who works at ESPN.com who referenced the Dirk headline today in terms of "it happened again" with the Lin headline, so I don't think it's a fake.

It probably did happen back in '07, but that picture is a fake.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Nut Bunnies posted:

Jon Heyman made a "best signings of the offseason" list. It's worse than I could have ever imagined.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34892221

1. Francisco Cordero 2. Brad Lidge 3. Carlos Beltran 4. Ryan Madson 5. Alex Gonzalez 6. Joel Pineiro 7. Chris Capuano 8. Paul Maholm 9. Lyle Overbay 10. Jon Garland 11. Ryan Spilborghs 12. Mike MacDougal 13. Kosuke Fukudome 14. Micah Owings 15. Jonny Gomes 16. K-Rod

I know there's many reasons to find this hilarious (depending on your sense of humor) but I can't get past Jonny Gomes. I mean, really? Gomes? He is on a list? That is not of players with various chin hair arrangements?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
is there a moratorium on posting dan shaughnenenesesssesesy columns yet?

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...ll_Sports_links

really all you have to read is the headline

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Dan Shaughnessy once made a really good point that because baseball holds such a hard line on gambling, no one even considered that maybe Buckner threw the game. That was his one contribution to society. I honestly can't believe that guy is the same guy as the turds that get published every other day in Boston's paper.

Ya know, we're talking about, in this very thread, why the best and brightest minds in sports writing go elsewhere. The workload is difficult and it eventually makes you hate sports.

On top of that, we encourage horrible opinions because we read them. Think of all the times you've written a well-thought-out sports opinion. Now think about how few page views that got compared to the above Shaughnessy article.

Columnists eventually have to (pretend to) be outraged at every minor thing because that's what gets page views (that and WAG articles). Writing an opinion every other day is exhausting and good writers will take that opportunity to think about what they value in life and hammer those points home (Jeff Pearlman deeply, deeply values humanity in baseball players; Plaschke is all about "protecting the kids" in college sports). Others just spew whatever they're thinking and actually end up being that opinionated.

So already we're promoting bad ideas by forcing the fit.

The other problem is the current crop of professional baseball writers who are more focused on actually coverage and seem to be sensible, like Bastian and Castrovince, are the ones being phased out. We're getting to a point where there will be no need for daily sports coverage and opinions are the only thing in sports writing getting any page views. There'll still be a few hardline news coverers--your Bill Shaikins and your Ken Gurnicks--but let's be honest, they'll be the exception that proves the rule. We're at a point now where every tidbit that Shaikin gets is tweeted and then retweeted for free by anyone who has a twitter account. People are taking his work for free. And worse, it earns no money for his paper when he does that.

I mean, how often do you click on a link when they post it? I click on maybe one every month or so.

Kids are taking these jobs now, working for pennies, and rarely getting raises. They'll work their fingers to the bone, get burned out and quit when they realize they could start a blog, do as much writing for that without an editor, and work a job that pays with better hours. That's pretty much how it's always been, except now there's no room for promotion. Those who have jobs above them aren't quitting because there's no growth in the industry. Even if these kids stick, when they earn as much money as Shaikin or Gurnick earn now, they'll be fired.

Twitter is the future of journalism, but if that's true, then there's no future in journalism. All of the money is going to Twitter and that's not a very sound business model for any news source. It is, however, really good for people who do blogging for a hobby. People like Crashburn Alley or our own leokitty, who occasionally break a story, write good analysis and don't rely on their writing financially.

So what's the end game in this? Looks to me like we're gonna keep the horrible opinions and suffer in journalism.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In less depressing news, Jeff Sullivan is on a roll lately.

10 Worst Pitches of 2011

As soon as I saw #10, I knew it was going to be a Good List.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

In less depressing news, Jeff Sullivan is on a roll lately.

10 Worst Pitches of 2011

As soon as I saw #10, I knew it was going to be a Good List.

Thanks for that. It brightened my day.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

My favorite baseball player in the whole world, Slammin' Sammy Fuld, has a great article on Game 162 from the Rays' perspective. Not a lot of articles by baseball players that make explicit references to win expectancy tables.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 20, 2012

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

R.D. Mangles posted:

My favorite baseball player in the whole world, Slammin' Sammy Fuld, has a great article on Game 162 from the Rays' perspective.

Thats seriously superb.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Come back to Des Moines, Sam. :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Garza is awesome, but watching the Cubs win 70-75 games until they get rid of Soriano and rebuild something resembling a farm system would be far more satisfying if I got to watch Fuld running into walls every day. That Fuld April (my new term for a player having an awesomely unsustainable hot streak for a month) was so bittersweet because he wasn't doing it on the Cubs.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

The broken bones posted:

So what's the end game in this? Looks to me like we're gonna keep the horrible opinions and suffer in journalism.

I have no idea, and I don't think anyone in the journalism industry does, either. That's what makes it an even scarier proposition.

excellent post, btw.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

R.D. Mangles posted:

My favorite baseball player in the whole world, Slammin' Sammy Fuld, has a great article on Game 162 from the Rays' perspective. Not a lot of articles by baseball players that make explicit references to win expectancy tables.

That is wonderful.

If only because JP Howell greets people with "What it do?"

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
This is...well, it's an article, I guess.

Richard Griffin posted:

Back on June 15, 1976, as the first wave of MLB serfs-in-spikes was about to hit the open market under the original rules of free agency, a commissioner’s decision cited as “in the best interests of baseball” was made by then-commissioner Bowie Kuhn.

Commissioner Bud Selig should have repeated that veto power with the Yankees and A.J. Burnett.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

quote:

It’s great for the Pirates because they are not a real contender and now have a short-term starting ace who won’t get attached and be looking for something awkward — like, say, an extension. It’s great for the Yankees because now they can add in other areas and win it all again.

No risk for the Yankees and plenty of reward.

Something doesn’t make sense.

:psypop:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Is he arguing that Selig should veto any not horrible trade the Yankees want to execute...?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I'm still struggling with the comparison to Finley's trades back in 1976.

Edit: Also he thinks that Burnett can only be good if there are better starters on the team which is pretty dumb all in all.

purkey fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2012

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
FWIW, The Star's sports section is trash. It's what publishes Damien Cox on a regular basis.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

leokitty posted:

Is he arguing that Selig should veto any not horrible trade the Yankees want to execute...?

His argument is basically "baseball isn't fair because the finances are a complete joke, therefore the Yankees shouldn't be allowed to make trades."

Which, now that I think about it, I can kind of get behind. :v:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
https://twitter.com/#!/JoseCanseco/status/171799945173667840

He did it again, in case you missed it

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

https://twitter.com/#!/JoseCanseco/status/171799945173667840

He did it again, in case you missed it

oh my god yes

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Jay Kang at Grantland has been doing some really stellar, personal writing on Jeremy Lin.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Has all of Duff McKagan's writing for ESPN been this awful?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Wait why is Duff McKagan writing for ESPN

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

That almost reads like an Onion article.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

leokitty posted:

Wait why is Duff McKagan writing for ESPN

Wait why does ESPN have a music section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Where else would you read about Nelly's song about lovely bowl games?