Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
For your peel problems, try using a vegetable peeler to get the minimum of pith; we use y-peelers at one of my jobs to cut twists, and sometimes I feel they don't give enough pith to keep from damaging the oil cells and reducing how much oil you can spray over the drink.

Also, why are ebooks at nearly the same price as paperbacks? I understand the need to keep profits up, but anybody with fingers can figure out that it costs dick-all to reproduce digital copies. Is there a conversation you can have as an author with Amazon, d? Or is that your publisher's arm you'd have to twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Vegetable Melange posted:

For your peel problems, try using a vegetable peeler to get the minimum of pith; we use y-peelers at one of my jobs to cut twists, and sometimes I feel they don't give enough pith to keep from damaging the oil cells and reducing how much oil you can spray over the drink.

Also, why are ebooks at nearly the same price as paperbacks? I understand the need to keep profits up, but anybody with fingers can figure out that it costs dick-all to reproduce digital copies. Is there a conversation you can have as an author with Amazon, d? Or is that your publisher's arm you'd have to twist.

I think it's an Amazon thing, and they more or less set the price. It still makes no sense. That being said, a very unexpected side-effect of having a kindle version is that I've been getting emails from folks with visual difficulties. One lady is even blind, and was appreciative of how I describe what the food should sound like/smell like at various stages in the cooking process.

I was absolutely floored and humbled at the same time. While I'm bitching about having to cook after a shift at work (which I rarely do, but there are some nights that I'm feeling self-indulgent and lazy), there's this lady who's blind and not only taking the effort to cook for herself, but to use fresh ingredients and do it from scratch. And then, after all of that, had the kindness to reach out to me and tell me that she appreciates my work.

It never ceases to amaze me what an adaptable, creative, wonderful species we really are, and what an fantastic time it is to be alive. I know that even 20 years ago, getting a cookbook for a person who's blind would have involved all kinds of annoyances. Now, she just had to go online, press a few buttons, and she has it in no time flat! And she was able to cook from it! I guess it's times like these that I understand why I love people so much, and enjoy hearing their stories.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
It's not an Amazon thing, Kindle prices are always set by the publisher. And publishers are greedy as poo poo.

A Gremlin Eel
Jun 29, 2006

Well, it was a nice idea while it lasted, I suppose.
Exactly. My wife has a Kindle, but after seeing that the books she wants are generally $10-12 each for the electronic versions, she usually just hangs out at the Sally Ann or thrift stores and grabs what she wants for like a buck and a half each. It's silly.

I'd support a pricing scheme for e-books that runs from say $3.99 for new release paperbacks to $7.99 for new release hardcovers. There's no reason for an $11 paperback to cost $9.99 in digital format.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Ahh.. but see - every time I buy a hardcopy I have to pay freight from the states, then I have to pay 25% added import tax, because of no free-trade agreement with the states. Alternatively I have to buy it in Denmark, where the price for a book is at standard around USD 30-40, alternatively I can buy them in UK, but still at a higher price, and not get as much diversity..

So the kindle is good to me..

But then again - I've been reading poo poo, so perhaps I'm the one losing out.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm going to boston in a couple months. is there like one place I shouldn't miss? or anyone doing anything crazy on the high end? I'll be downtown.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I hate electronic books. I like real books. I like the smell, the feel, the way they treat my eyes. I like my shelves lined with them. I like to not have to worry about batteries. I like being able to browse used book stores. I like the analogness of them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I hate electronic books. I like real books. I like the smell, the feel, the way they treat my eyes. I like my shelves lined with them. I like to not have to worry about batteries. I like being able to browse used book stores. I like the analogness of them.

via telegraph from somewhere in the Reno wilderness six minutes ago

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I think some higher power just does not want me to be in possession of delicious duck fat. Last month I rendered out a good bit. Used a touch of it once and forgot to put it back in the fridge. Wasted. Today I was filtering a new bunch when it tipped over and ended up on the floor and my pants. What have I done to deserve this fate :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

pile of brown posted:

via telegraph from somewhere in the Reno wilderness six minutes ago

Irony ++

I really do feel that way, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Irony ++

I really do feel that way, though.

I used to feel that way, and still enjoy libraries. I have to travel a lot, though, and the convenience of ebooks pushed me over the edge. It helps that e-ink is basically the same visual experience as a paper book.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like normal books but a kindle is a bloody godsend for reading scripts. Instead of lugging a few around all the time (read once, chuck, multiply by x colleagues), PDFs just get emailed to us. It's also a lot easier to read one-handed while commuting, and one never had to spend time looking for one's place.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I used to be the same way, until I started reading a lot of bad smut. It's less sketchy to have an e-book version of some dude with rippling muscles on the cover than to have an actual smutty romance novel in your hands. Makes the others on the subway less creeped out at a tall, brown man standing in the subway with filthy smut. Also, it helps that while Puppy is sleeping, I can read for a while until I fall asleep. He's a fairly heavy sleeper once he gets started, but getting him to sleep takes a bit of time, so I tend to prefer the lights out until he falls asleep. The regular e-readers require some kind of lighting rig. Also, when I'm at home, and Puppy is watching his animu on the big TV, I can watch Julia Child on the small screen via Amazon Prime video. Her show was broadcast over tiny screens anyway, so the Fire doesn't look half bad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sometimes it's fun when other people see what you're reading, though. For instance, right now I'm reading The Mercy of Allah, and the looks I get from people are spectacular.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sometimes it's fun when other people see what you're reading, though. For instance, right now I'm reading The Mercy of Allah, and the looks I get from people are spectacular.

thetechnoloser and I both have Nook Colors (rooted, running cyanogen.) They are fantastic for reading in bed, since they're backlit with adjustable brightness. No bedside lamps necessary. I also love mine because it fits in my handbag. I read it on the metro, in waiting rooms... As far as buying books, there's plenty out there for free, and sometimes we'll buy a "dead tree" version for the house and to lend to friends, and acquire the e-version for the Nooks.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Just got caught up with RouxChat...

Does anyone making a mornay really cook their roux for 10+ minutes? I want the absolute lightest roux I can possibly have, while having cooked the 'floury' taste out of it. We're talking 2 minutes, tops...just when it goes from foamy to grainy. I couldn't imagine darkening it up more than that... Bleh...

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
(Instructions are just some other guy's opinion)

Happy Hat posted:

Ahh.. but see - every time I buy a hardcopy I have to pay freight from the states, then I have to pay 25% added import tax, because of no free-trade agreement with the states. Alternatively I have to buy it in Denmark, where the price for a book is at standard around USD 30-40, alternatively I can buy them in UK, but still at a higher price, and not get as much diversity..

We may have to mail you random paperbacks then. Hope you like Doc Savage?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The single most homoerotic line I've ever read is from the first Doc Savage story. The good Doctor is looking for a hidden wire, right? But the line is "His supple, sensitive, yet steel-strong hands explored."

The whole story is basically like that, it's remarkable.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Yeah, there are also the first in-print description of night vision (from the 30's, using the spinning disk with slots to make raster Nipkow version of mechanical television) and the first "we stole the 3rd nuke and are blackmailing the world" plot.
It is literally steam-punk from the other side.

Now, the writing is poor, the characters are one-dimensional, the ploting is hackneyed, and the action is stylized as an epic poem, but Robeson wrote the entire series for his magazine AND it was a magazine that survived the rationing of paper during the war.

Rule .303 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 18, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I never said it wasn't awesome. What I can't handle is that the real name of Kenneth Robeson is Lester Dent, which is way pulpier than his pen name.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

PainBreak posted:

Just got caught up with RouxChat...

Does anyone making a mornay really cook their roux for 10+ minutes? I want the absolute lightest roux I can possibly have, while having cooked the 'floury' taste out of it. We're talking 2 minutes, tops...just when it goes from foamy to grainy. I couldn't imagine darkening it up more than that... Bleh...

youre not comprehending RouxChat... the ten minutes is TOTAL cooking time after adding the flour. So if you cook your roux for two minutes you need to be sure to cook your roux-thickened sauce for at least eight more minutes to make sure it doesn't taste like flour. In home applications youre probably going to have the sauce on the stove for far longer that that and it would never come up

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I'll buy books for you here in the uk and post them to you. You can pay me via PayPal.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

pile of brown posted:

youre not comprehending RouxChat... the ten minutes is TOTAL cooking time after adding the flour. So if you cook your roux for two minutes you need to be sure to cook your roux-thickened sauce for at least eight more minutes to make sure it doesn't taste like flour. In home applications youre probably going to have the sauce on the stove for far longer that that and it would never come up

Yeah, it's not that I didn't comprehend so much that it doesn't make sense. The temperature at which you maintain a bechamel, which then becomes a mornay, isn't high enough to "cook" the flour taste out, in my opinion. I saw someone mention "simmering" their sauce. Personally, I'd never take mine to a simmer, but that's because I don't like broken sauces.

Anyway, maybe the real point that was being made is that induction burners boil water in 4 minutes, and that's not enough time to put together a proper mornay.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

I have never, not once, experienced a bechamel or mornay separating. A gentle simmering for a little while doesn't do any harm. Plus, if I'm making bechamel it's always to top a lasagne, which gets the sauce another 30-40 minutes of high-heat exposure.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

I'll buy books for you here in the uk and post them to you. You can pay me via PayPal.

Thanks for the offer :) Most of what I read is more readily available on the kindle though, the main objection I have for the kindle is that there is one price for americans, and another price for danes (bet most of you didn't know that).

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

PainBreak posted:

Yeah, it's not that I didn't comprehend so much that it doesn't make sense. The temperature at which you maintain a bechamel, which then becomes a mornay, isn't high enough to "cook" the flour taste out, in my opinion. I saw someone mention "simmering" their sauce. Personally, I'd never take mine to a simmer, but that's because I don't like broken sauces.

Anyway, maybe the real point that was being made is that induction burners boil water in 4 minutes, and that's not enough time to put together a proper mornay.

How do you break a sauce that is based on flour?

I have never experienced that happening!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

The dairy can break, but you have to screw it up pretty badly for that to happen.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

yeah, but wouldn't that happen below simmering, and be dependent on adding something acidic?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

troll it for like 45 minutes straight, it will start to weep eventually

never fails :clint:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I worked 34 hours in the past two days. I am going to drink all the whiskey in Brooklyn. gently caress Whitney Houston forever.

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Trust me. If you drink all the whiskey in Brooklyn you will be Whitney Houston. Stop at a fifth, your liver will thank you.

I have a lot to say about drunks and the people that enable them, but....time and place.

Hey, you know, yesterday I would not have known what a bechamel sauce was if I drizzled it down my leg and it left permanant scars. I feel that's $10 well spent.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Thanks for the offer :) Most of what I read is more readily available on the kindle though, the main objection I have for the kindle is that there is one price for americans, and another price for danes (bet most of you didn't know that).

You could just make an Amazon.com account, and buy your books on that account.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

mediaphage posted:

You could just make an Amazon.com account, and buy your books on that account.

That is what I have, but they're smart enough to check credit card information against the address you provide, meaning that if you're card is danish you get to pay the premium of being a foreigner.

..also - you cannot buy a kindle (or content) in the uk store, you have to buy it in the US store.

Same thing with iTunes, where you can circumvent it, and get to buy in the american store by using gift cards (which can be bought at a 10% premium at eBay), and registering with an american address (I am Voodoo Donuts in Portland).

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
Oooh, Voodoo!

There's one about 5 blocks away from where I work. (well, across I-84, but...)

I may take a picture and show you what you look like!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mindphlux posted:

I'm going to boston in a couple months. is there like one place I shouldn't miss? or anyone doing anything crazy on the high end? I'll be downtown.

jus gonna bump dis lil question ~_~

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011
I sell candied bacon to university students. This is a profitable market.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

jus gonna bump dis lil question ~_~
I hate Boston, but Haymarket is /really/ worth at least a visit. It's a convocation of Massholes like you've never seen. The Boston accents will be flying. Bring a backpack, and bring small bills. The vendors suck at change. Also, don't get anything that you can't personally tell is worth buying. :3

dino. fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 19, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

That is what I have, but they're smart enough to check credit card information against the address you provide, meaning that if you're card is danish you get to pay the premium of being a foreigner.

..also - you cannot buy a kindle (or content) in the uk store, you have to buy it in the US store.

Same thing with iTunes, where you can circumvent it, and get to buy in the american store by using gift cards (which can be bought at a 10% premium at eBay), and registering with an american address (I am Voodoo Donuts in Portland).

You can't set up a new Amazon.com US account, then buy US gift cards for it?

Rule .303
Dec 9, 2011
There was someone once who said that cheating the excise was not a crime against people, but a violation of customs; mere bad manners in other words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Ooooooooooooooooof.