Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

He has principles and you guys are all whores!

I support this statement!

When I posted the HFL email retort on FaceBook, a high school friend of mine (that I've recently got back in touch with) commented that he bought a brand new Harley a few years out of high school with all of his savings (2002-2006). He put 11k on the bike in the first 1.5 years of ownership, and in that time, it blew two different gaskets, had a rear brake failure, and the electrical system shat itself, and it ended up being too much to repair so he just sold it. He then got a twice-wrecked VTR750. He says the VTR was the best, most reliable bike ever.

So, that's a sufficient-enough retort to all things Harley-Davidson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't think many would argue that Harleys aren't overpriced, and opinions on reliability vary a bit as far as I can tell. The fact is, he rejected an opportunity to watch a failing company's attempts to pull itself out of a downward spiral so he could gain sweet internet cred. It might not be as amazing as Hunter S. Thompson walking into a DEA conference with a suitcase full of drugs, but it still would've been a good article.

There's been too few pictures, so have a few in exchange for some double-sikk internet credz

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 19, 2012

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Slim Pickens posted:

That's pretty much how I imagine my 1st wheelie attempt going :(

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
It's a bit easier to understand his hatred of harley if you caught an earlier article he did, featuring these:

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

The goon-cyclist's dream

http://www.buymotorcyclehelmets.com/view_category.asp?cat=76&page=6

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011
This thread is on the fast track towards derail.

Let's try to kick her back with a few pictures of orange Italian brilliance.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 19, 2012

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Pike posted:

The goon-cyclist's dream

Ok, that's my lifestyle indicators set. Working on this tattoo design, have booked it for next Friday. Input, critique?

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

Ok, that's my lifestyle indicators set. Working on this tattoo design, have booked it for next Friday. Input, critique?

I'm not really good at this, but I tried. Somebody will probably be able to clean it up a bit.

Edit: Check Exif data. Totally made in Gimp 2.6 on a machine running a Linux kernel.

Sir Cornelius fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 19, 2012

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is that a free font? You wouldn't want any proprietary fonts tattooed on you. You wouldn't steal a car.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Already have a heart one, it says "previous iteration <3"

Googling for GNUgothic.ttf now, tyvm.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Ola posted:

Already have a heart one, it says "previous iteration <3"

Googling for GNUgothic.ttf now, tyvm.

You're not really one of us. If we miss a font we call our 2400 baud simplex modems via analogue connections and just whistle our fonts to Fontforge over TTY.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gnaghi posted:

It's a bit easier to understand his hatred of harley if you caught an earlier article he did, featuring these:

I know, but can you imagine the gigantic smarm collision? :)

Content: I know they're ugly, so WHY CAN'T I LOOK AWAY????

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

Except that that could be out of the test ride handbook of Aprilia, Ducati, Bimota, Radical, or any one of dozens of other bike makers out there. Anyone who believes that motorcycling doesn't have an ingrained posing ideology wrapped up in it's very creation is lying to themselves. Some makers of bikes sell more on that than anything else, but to cast off the chance to ride one brand for that while readily fapping over exotic Italian brands or one off customs is painfully myopic.

Anyways, here's the BED sumo ripping around SF:
[video type=""]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKuDYaBQSNI[/video]

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

By biggest "what" though is how Harley Davidson can get away with selling bikes for ~20 grand. I mean, mid-life crises and all aside, for that price you can get some really loving awesome other bikes. At least I'd know that my 20 grand Ducati or Aprilia has a pretty solid bang-for-buck.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Because AMERICA and FREEDOM and "I don't need no crotch rocket to kill myself on *points at ninja 250*, I want a MAN'S bike"

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Z3n posted:

Except that that could be out of the test ride handbook of Aprilia, Ducati, Bimota, Radical, or any one of dozens of other bike makers out there. Anyone who believes that motorcycling doesn't have an ingrained posing ideology wrapped up in it's very creation is lying to themselves. Some makers of bikes sell more on that than anything else, but to cast off the chance to ride one brand for that while readily fapping over exotic Italian brands or one off customs is painfully myopic.

I agree with the above statement. I see Ducati as the second largest "motorcycle lifestyle" company. Have you seen a Ducati apparel fashion show? That's what I hate the most about being a Ducati owner.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

bung posted:

I agree with the above statement. I see Ducati as the second largest "motorcycle lifestyle" company. Have you seen a Ducati apparel fashion show? That's what I hate the most about being a Ducati owner.

Somehow KTM manages to get away with it. Seems if you own a KTM there's no end to the orange being you buy, for Christ's sake, they make a toaster that burns the logo into your toast.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Xovaan posted:

By biggest "what" though is how Harley Davidson can get away with selling bikes for ~20 grand. I mean, mid-life crises and all aside, for that price you can get some really loving awesome other bikes. At least I'd know that my 20 grand Ducati or Aprilia has a pretty solid bang-for-buck.

You're right, you could assemble a respectable stable for $20K and not limit yourself to go-fast bikes. I ride an HD but have no use for their ancillary garbage. It isn't always the companies with the "best" products that win and survive, it's the ones that think strategically, fight dirty, and know their clientele. That rarely makes them likeable. People don't buy a Camaro and go WHOAH, DAN AKERSON ROCKS! I am not writing this and thinking, Awwwww yeah, VISTA PREMIUM EDITION, Beeyach. The 20K parade float is for a certain customer that isn't me or you, but is enough of someone to justify its continued production. Personally, I'd rather throw $20K at a piece of land in the middle of nowhere, flog a dirtbike and shoot beer bottles with a .22, maybe even simultaneously.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Haters Gon' Hate.

I get the feeling that the HFL peeps don't want to cover Harley any more than they have. They keep hitting the same note when they mention HD, which is that they'll cover them when they do something new and innovative, but aren't interested in propelling the Genuine Harley Davidson Motorcycle tm lifestyle.

For the record, I can't help but love the above bike. I'm so confused :psyduck:

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 19, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Marv Hushman posted:

You're right, you could assemble a respectable stable for $20K and not limit yourself to go-fast bikes. I ride an HD but have no use for their ancillary garbage. It isn't always the companies with the "best" products that win and survive, it's the ones that think strategically, fight dirty, and know their clientele. That rarely makes them likeable. People don't buy a Camaro and go WHOAH, DAN AKERSON ROCKS! I am not writing this and thinking, Awwwww yeah, VISTA PREMIUM EDITION, Beeyach. The 20K parade float is for a certain customer that isn't me or you, but is enough of someone to justify its continued production. Personally, I'd rather throw $20K at a piece of land in the middle of nowhere, flog a dirtbike and shoot beer bottles with a .22, maybe even simultaneously.

I'd match your 20k and we could share a border and have 40k worth of land just for badassery in the middle of nowhere. I'll host bike jousting and skeet shooting and you can host supermoto target slalom circuits.

I think I've found my retirement plan. :madmax:

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Slim Pickens posted:

Because AMERICA and FREEDOM and "I don't need no crotch rocket to kill myself on *points at ninja 250*, I want a MAN'S bike"
The easiest way to piss off your stereotypical harley rider is to inform them that their ignition system is Japanese.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Xovaan posted:

I'd match your 20k and we could share a border and have 40k worth of land just for badassery in the middle of nowhere. I'll host bike jousting and skeet shooting and you can host supermoto target slalom circuits.

I think I've found my retirement plan. :madmax:

Is it too late to get in on this? I don't even know where you are, but I'll put in my 20k too ;-)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Aargh posted:

Somehow KTM manages to get away with it. Seems if you own a KTM there's no end to the orange being you buy, for Christ's sake, they make a toaster that burns the logo into your toast.

Toast?

My favorite was the branding iron. Such a great metaphor for the entire power wear catalog.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Lemmie bite my wallet then hit me right on my left rear end

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

-Inu- posted:

The easiest way to piss off your stereotypical harley rider is to inform them that their ignition system is Japanese.

And the front end (Showa). And the carburetor, where applicable (Keihin).

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
First GoPro video I've done. Todays ride + camera falls off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_KfTSZbIA

Sorry about the lovely music. The camera audio is terrible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Marv Hushman posted:

And the front end (Showa). And the carburetor, where applicable (Keihin).

And Brembo brakes on the modern ones.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

And Brembo brakes on the modern ones.

"IM SO ANGRY THAT MY BIKE USES TOP SHELF COMPONENTS THAT ARE WIDELY REGARDED AS THE BEST IN THE WORLD"

-A Harley Owner

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Except that that could be out of the test ride handbook of Aprilia, Ducati, Bimota, Radical, or any one of dozens of other bike makers out there.
We got instructions like that from Genuine Scooter on how to sell scooters better. I think they only sent them to us because we weren't selling enough scooters. The instructions were more like flash cards, and they were on the intellectual level of "BE NICE TO CUSTOMER" and "TELL CUSTOMER BIKE HAS GOOD WARRANTY" and that was about it.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
Translation: I am absolutely mortified to learn that there are US-made parts on this thing. The slide after this says "Pawking Metaws."

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Marv Hushman posted:

I know, but can you imagine the gigantic smarm collision? :)

Content: I know they're ugly, so WHY CAN'T I LOOK AWAY????

I love how this looks like it has an indignant hand on its hip.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

the walkin dude posted:

He put 11k on the bike in the first 1.5 years of ownership, and in that time, it blew two different gaskets, had a rear brake failure, and the electrical system shat itself, and it ended up being too much to repair so he just sold it. He then got a twice-wrecked VTR750. He says the VTR was the best, most reliable bike ever.

So, that's a sufficient-enough retort to all things Harley-Davidson.

I don't buy that this is a problem specific to Harley-Davidsons. You need neither a Harley nor a million neglectful miles to have bullshit problems with a motorcycle. I have personal experience in this realm.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

I don't buy that this is a problem specific to Harley-Davidsons. You need neither a Harley nor a million neglectful miles to have bullshit problems with a motorcycle. I have personal experience in this realm.

I read this post thinking "oh yeah there was someone on the forum with a..oh it was him".

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Aargh posted:

I think with KTM they get away with it because generally they are a bit more tongue-in-cheek. KTM sell a KTM Racing Toaster because it's funny; If HD sold one they would be telling you about how it's the ultimate man's toaster for the manly 'murrican man to eat manly toast with his manly biker buddies; comes with genuine chrome toasting accessories and a 3D HD emblem over crying eagle decal;

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
If it toasts a bar and shield into my breakfast, consider it sold.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xj900
http://theracecafe.com/

Little Horse Cycles

http://holidaycustoms.blogspot.com/2012/01/just-another-day-at-shop.html

this is loving fantastic:

I like how stealthy that rear swingarm is. It almost fools you into thinking the bike's a hardtail.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This homemade bashplate doesn't want to be bashed at all. :(

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I like how stealthy that rear swingarm is. It almost fools you into thinking the bike's a hardtail.

I probably wouldn't like getting my foot ripped off by that belt drive.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sir Cornelius posted:

I probably wouldn't like getting my foot ripped off by that belt drive.

Impossible. It'd have to run in order for that to happen, and being that it's a Harley, the closest it'll get to running is rolling backwards off the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
My dad has an ultra glide now after owning imports all his life. I made the mistake of asking if he was taking his bike somewhere and he replied "I don't ride a bike, I ride a Harley :smug:." Then I was forced to beat him to death with a shovel.