Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yes, that is not uncommon. Switching to 5ghz is a good fix. Also you could try using your oven, that's a pretty long time to put anything in a microwave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!
I need to upgrade my modem for my new 105/20 plan and I figure it's time to upgrade this Time Capsule that's been fairly good to me for the last 4 years. Cisco has refurbished E4200s (not the v2) here for $99. As far as I can tell these still support dd-wrt and based on my preliminary research I can't find anything better for <$150. I know the E4200 was recently removed from the recommended list because the v2 revision doesn't support dd-wrt, but I'm still OK with the original model, right?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
If anything, an E4200 will be slower then a Time Capsule, doesn't matter how old.

Protokoll
Mar 28, 2003

Here we go Lina.
Here we go Lina.
COME ON, LINA!

NOTinuyasha posted:

If anything, an E4200 will be slower then a Time Capsule, doesn't matter how old.

I'm not actually too concerned with speed. All of the computers that matter will be plugged in physically. The main reason I don't like the Time Capsule is that every small change requires a reboot and you have to download software to change router settings which I do daily from different computers. What would you recommend that's similar to the E4200 in terms of features, can run dd-wrt, etc. I don't really have a budget, but I also don't want to overpay for my small home network.

I'm used to using enterprise-level Cisco stuff at work, so everything is a downgrade all things considered.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003
I have a Cisco e3200 that is giving me some issues. I'm trying to stream relatively low bitrate 720p content to XBMC on my jailbroken aTV2 and it pauses to "buffer" at random intervals and way too much. It should be running at N bandwidth and thus not be an issue. Wiring the connection fixes this problem (even using a 100 Mbps older router) but I'm trying to not have to run a 100 ft cable across my house. Is there any solution to this issue or am I stuck with a wired connection to stop the lag?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Uuudar posted:

I have a Cisco e3200 that is giving me some issues. I'm trying to stream relatively low bitrate 720p content to XBMC on my jailbroken aTV2 and it pauses to "buffer" at random intervals and way too much. It should be running at N bandwidth and thus not be an issue. Wiring the connection fixes this problem (even using a 100 Mbps older router) but I'm trying to not have to run a 100 ft cable across my house. Is there any solution to this issue or am I stuck with a wired connection to stop the lag?

Wired is best, as you already know. Since it's your house, why not get the house wired with gigabit ethernet?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Nask26 posted:

We picked up a new microwave last weekend and I just figured out that this thing is destroying my wireless network when its on. Does this sound normal? I'm running a single band n/g network. If we microwave something for over 4 or 5 minutes my laptop will disconnect from the network. I've never had this problem before. thanks

It tends to vary but old microwaves are usually the worst for this. The fact that a new one leaks that much is rather terrible. Basically microwaves operate on 2.4 GHz which is exactly where your wireless network is.

There's not a lot you can do unless you want to switch to 5GHz wireless, or somehow try to find a well shielded microwave.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

What's the concensus on the time capsule? I'm looking for something to replace my aging Linksys WRT54G (it just randomly lost all it's settings on friday while I was at work) and provide a backup solution for the 2 Macs on my network. Any alternatives?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Apparently any USB drive plugged in to an Airport Extreme can be used as a TC drive, so if you have a decent sized on of those laying around already, you could save yourself some cash.

I don't think I'd trust my backups to something that's just a single drive, though. Especially not given the number of user reviews that say their TC died around the 14 month mark.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I'm rocking a 1GB TC from around the time they finally became reasonably priced a bit more than 2 years ago and it's still going strong.

ArterialTool
Jan 21, 2010
So in an attempt to save me hours of research can anyone give me some suggestions to replace my wireless router. What's the concensus on the best bang for the buck router these days? I currently have a Linksys WRT110. I have it set to "G only" mode because when it's in mixed mode the N mode does not play nice with the Xbox 360 N wireless adapter. We have a 30Mbs Comcast connection but the speed through the wifi is topping out at 5-10Mbs. My priorities for the router are as follows:

1. Range - Will be upstairs and needs to reach all the way across the house to the downstairs.
2. Compatibility - It MUST be compatible with the X-box 360 N wireless adapter.
2. Reliability - Doesnt drop connections.
3. Speed - 802.11n? - Will run 30+ Mbps.
4. Ability to run DD-WRT ( not necessary, but would be nice to have).
5. Cost - Don't mind spending a bit on it, but nothing top of the line. I'm guessing $100-$150?

I've have good experiences with Netgear and varying experiences with Linksys and would be comfortable with either brand or a different brand entirely.

ArterialTool fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 16, 2012

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Hours of research have been distilled down to a wonderful, concise summary of 90% of the information you want.

Give the OP a read and you may find you have no further questions.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The ASUS RT-N16 appears to be a drat good choice. Open for firmware upgrades if you want and very easy to configure right out of the box.

I also have great coverage in a 2 story, 2000 sq foot house from the backyard patio into the garage. $95 from NewEgg

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004
I need some suggestions for operating 2 routers on the same network. I have poor wifi downstairs, so I'm thinking of putting in another router in a more central location. This is what I envision:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1N6Mbsj6PXwYWRjN2RlMzctN2QwZC00YjI4LWJlNzctYzBhMjJkMGM3ZWY5

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I want the second router to be "invisible" to the user. I want someone to be able to walk from upstairs to downstairs without having to connect to a new network. It would be like there's just magically a high wifi signal strength downstairs. The ultimate goal is that "laptop upstairs" will be able to see "laptop downstairs" and able to share files through Windows Homegroup.

I have a WRT54GL sitting around that I can use for this, but I'm not sure how to configure the WRT54GL. I saw the client bridge configuration on the previous page, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what I want.

fnkels fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 17, 2012

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Connect to second wrt54gl directly
set a static address in the same range as your current network (.2 works well)
configure wireless ssid/security to be identical to the other router
configure one router to be on channel 1, and one on channel 11
disable dhcp services on the second router
plug in ethernet cable lan to lan
profit

Dogen
May 5, 2002

If you use the same SSID and WPA2 key you should be good to go. Just set the downstairs WRT54 to not be a router or serve DHCP addresses.

From your diagram the upstairs->downstairs is wired, with ethernet running from your main router to a switch downstairs, right?

fnkels
Aug 17, 2004

Dogen posted:

If you use the same SSID and WPA2 key you should be good to go. Just set the downstairs WRT54 to not be a router or serve DHCP addresses.

From your diagram the upstairs->downstairs is wired, with ethernet running from your main router to a switch downstairs, right?

That's correct.

Thanks devmd01. I'll give that a go and see if any issues pop up.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

fnkels posted:

I need some suggestions for operating 2 routers on the same network. I have poor wifi downstairs, so I'm thinking of putting in another router in a more central location. This is what I envision:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1N6Mbsj6PXwYWRjN2RlMzctN2QwZC00YjI4LWJlNzctYzBhMjJkMGM3ZWY5

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I want the second router to be "invisible" to the user. I want someone to be able to walk from upstairs to downstairs without having to connect to a new network. It would be like there's just magically a high wifi signal strength downstairs. The ultimate goal is that "laptop upstairs" will be able to see "laptop downstairs" and able to share files through Windows Homegroup.

I have a WRT54GL sitting around that I can use for this, but I'm not sure how to configure the WRT54GL. I saw the client bridge configuration on the previous page, but I'm not sure if that's exactly what I want.

I'm pretty sure that there's a Tomato or DD_WRT firmware out there somewhere with settings to behave as a WAP instead of a router.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
I'm thinking of buying an Airport Extreme base. Is there a similar product that's cheaper or better? If you have one, do they work with Xbox Live out of the box?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ok, so my Netgear WNDR3700 is making GBS threads the bed quite frequently (momentarily freezing, rebooting, pissing me of, etc), and I'm getting tired of it. It's the original version running the latest firmware. Not to mention the coverage is pretty poor.

So, what's the best router money can buy? I have a 3200 sqft (3-story) house and the router has to be in the basement, where my modem is.

I was looking at the following:

Linksys 4500v2
Asus RT-N16
Asus RT-N56U
Any Buffalo variant

I'm willing to drop $200 or more on something that can:

Run a bunch of devices (8+ simultaneously)
Reach all over my house and outside (streaming while cutting grass, BBQing, etc)
Not lockup
Not drop packets
Not poo poo the bed under a Netflix/uTorrent/Ooma load

I know that's quite a wishlist, but it's 2012 and the technology to do all of this with flying colors has to exist.

Advice?

Edit: and if one exists that will blast my neighbor's signals (about 8 with annoying AP names like "ViRus teSt" and "FBI") I won't feel bad. In fact, I want to rape their signals with something...powerful...just for fun.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 19, 2012

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hotsauce, I had the same issues with a Netgear and wanted similar performance. I bought a Mikrotik based on http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388528 and it's been pretty awesome. It's a bit more work to set up, I think, but it's been awesome. The guys in that thread are awesome, which made it work. I don't mind doing some work, but I'm definitely not a network engineer.

What I bought was http://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/routerboard/rb493g-complete.html with an N radio, but it's probably overkill.

http://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/routerboard/rb493g-complete.html is "Coming soon", but promises to be a slightly scaled down, prepackaged version of the one I bought. I may snag one for my girlfriend's place at some point.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Hotsauce, I had the same issues with a Netgear and wanted similar performance. I bought a Mikrotik based on http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388528 and it's been pretty awesome. It's a bit more work to set up, I think, but it's been awesome. The guys in that thread are awesome, which made it work. I don't mind doing some work, but I'm definitely not a network engineer.

What I bought was http://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/routerboard/rb493g-complete.html with an N radio, but it's probably overkill.

http://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/routerboard/rb493g-complete.html is "Coming soon", but promises to be a slightly scaled down, prepackaged version of the one I bought. I may snag one for my girlfriend's place at some point.

Hmm, at first glance, that thread looks kind of scary. I'm certain I can get it set up and all, but I travel a lot. If it needs rebooting while I'm gone, can it simply be unplugged and plugged back in and boot up into full working order? My wife can hardly boot up her Macbook, so any techy stuff is out of the question if I'm not there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Any off the shelf routers you'd or anyone would recommend?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

hotsauce posted:

Hmm, at first glance, that thread looks kind of scary. I'm certain I can get it set up and all, but I travel a lot. If it needs rebooting while I'm gone, can it simply be unplugged and plugged back in and boot up into full working order? My wife can hardly boot up her Macbook, so any techy stuff is out of the question if I'm not there.

Yeah you can just unplug it, you can also manage it from the Internet if you so desire. I replaced a lovely D-Link router which I had to reboot several times a day a couple of months ago and I've never had to reboot the Mikrotik.

The pony guide that's linked in the OP of that thread makes it really easy to set up, but you need a bit of networking knowledge to use any of it's advanced features.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

poty posted:

I'm thinking of buying an Airport Extreme base. Is there a similar product that's cheaper or better? If you have one, do they work with Xbox Live out of the box?
Still the best consumer router I've ever used. And yes it works with XBL just fine.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Toast Museum posted:

SB6120 has been working well for me.

Is this still the best way to replace the awful Comcast modem I'm renting for insane amounts of money each month? Let me tell you, I'm sick of their crap.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Still the best consumer router I've ever used. And yes it works with XBL just fine.

Would you recommend this over all other available routers in terms of reliability and signal strength? I assume so based on your comment, but wanted to confirm.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Smegmalicious posted:

Is this still the best way to replace the awful Comcast modem I'm renting for insane amounts of money each month? Let me tell you, I'm sick of their crap.

Yup. Just call up tech support, tell them you have your own modem, they'll want some information off of it (Mac, serial, etc) to set up the provisioning, then plug it in and reboot it and you should be good to go. Make sure you get the rental one returned and the monthly fee canceled...

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

devmd01 posted:

Yup. Just call up tech support, tell them you have your own modem, they'll want some information off of it (Mac, serial, etc) to set up the provisioning, then plug it in and reboot it and you should be good to go. Make sure you get the rental one returned and the monthly fee canceled...

And that modem is the one to get? Is it functionally any better or does it just not have a fee attached?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I'm currently using some Ubiquiti NS2 Locos for my home network, and while it works well I want to move up to some wireless N. Is there a product out there I can deploy N /w that is as good as the NS2Locos? Ubiquiti's newest N products seem to require some kind of server (No windows/Mac computers @ home) and I don't see a version of the NS2Loco /w N functionality.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It uses NAT-PMP instead of UPnP, but XBL and PS3 work fine with it, so yeah.

I started using Apple equip for reliability based on the experience of friends despite it not having the rep for being the 'best' online and have yet to have anything go bad on me (knock on wood). I upgraded from netgear poo poo that had to be restarted every other day.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

I have a Linksys WRT54GS2 v1 router that had needed to be reset daily after I upgraded the stock firmware. After reading this thread and the documentation on dd-wrt, I successfully flashed it with the micro version as a last-ditch effort to get rid of the daily resets.

Setting up a password-protected wireless network has not yet worked. As soon as I change the SSID to the name of my old network and set a password, both Windows 7 machines that need to connect to it give me a message to the effect of "your system is not properly configured to connect to this network". Is there another important setting that I'm missing here?

e: solved it. dd-wrt doesn't work with TKIP encryption and the default setting is to use AES/TKIP.

Social Media fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 20, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I ended up grabbing a 5th gen Airport Extreme locally for $100. It's a solid router and my internet finally doesn't drop every few hours like the WNDR3700 did. The range is quite amazing...highly recommended.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

hotsauce posted:

I ended up grabbing a 5th gen Airport Extreme locally for $100. It's a solid router and my internet finally doesn't drop every few hours like the WNDR3700 did. The range is quite amazing...highly recommended.

Where did you get a 5th gen for $100?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nask26 posted:

We picked up a new microwave last weekend and I just figured out that this thing is destroying my wireless network when its on. Does this sound normal? I'm running a single band n/g network. If we microwave something for over 4 or 5 minutes my laptop will disconnect from the network. I've never had this problem before. thanks

If you have your AP set to "Auto" channel selection, the increased interference from using the microwave can cause it to decide to change channels, which will cause your wireless to disconnect.

Or it could just be a noisy microwave and/or lovely wireless devices. The microwave at my parents' house used to be able to stomp all over my Netgear 802.11b AP back in '04, but I've never had any problems with a variety of WRT54G/GS/GLs or the similar WHR-G54s, nor the Netgear WNDR-series device that's currently handling my 802.11n.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

Is there an advantage to using the Linksys E2500 over the older E2000. And at that point might it just be better to use the E3000 since it's only a few bucks more?

I'm trying to avoid spending the $180 on the Airport Extreme Base here, but it's tempting. I'm really really sick of a lovely wireless connection.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Smegmalicious posted:

Where did you get a 5th gen for $100?

Local craigslisty website (ksl.com - local classifieds).

eBay has the gen5 for $129. The seller seems to be legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRPORT-EXT...#ht_1550wt_1037

I was very close to buying this, but found a good deal locally.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

hotsauce posted:

Local craigslisty website (ksl.com - local classifieds).

eBay has the gen5 for $129. The seller seems to be legit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AIRPORT-EXT...#ht_1550wt_1037

I was very close to buying this, but found a good deal locally.

Are you going to run dd-wrt on it? Or can you?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Smegmalicious posted:

Is there an advantage to using the Linksys E2500 over the older E2000. And at that point might it just be better to use the E3000 since it's only a few bucks more?

I'm trying to avoid spending the $180 on the Airport Extreme Base here, but it's tempting. I'm really really sick of a lovely wireless connection.

I can't give you firsthand knowledge, but looking at the specs it looks like the e2500 is actually lower end spec-wise than the e2000. E2000 has gigabit and a higher clock speed processor.

If you get the E3000, Newegg has it for cheaper ($80 shipped, or if you don't mind getting a refurb, $60 shipped.)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Smegmalicious posted:

Are you going to run dd-wrt on it? Or can you?

I don't think that's possible. I also don't have a reason to. It's solid with stock firmware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Much like everything else Apple, it costs more, is slower (well, maybe this is unfair to other apple products, but generally the airport line has less favorable throughput on wireless, doesn't support jumbo frames etc.), and less customizable, but it JUST WORKS. Which is pretty important in home networking gear.