Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

TACD posted:

The thing that makes me sperg out the most with that is the colored lights are clearly inspired by traffic lights. So if they're showing vertically shouldn't green be on top and red at the bottom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

UnbornApple posted:

The thing that makes me sperg out the most with that is the colored lights are clearly inspired by traffic lights. So if they're showing vertically shouldn't green be on top and red at the bottom?

No.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

UnbornApple posted:

lol when's the last time you drove a car?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they are analogous to traffic lights, the only one that really makes sense is red = close/stop. Green = Maximize and Yellow = go hide in the dock don't really seem to have traffic equivalents.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

I wish there was a way to consolidate Skype, Facebook Chat, Google Chat, and now iMessages. Most of my friends IM me on Facebook Chat which the Skype and new Messages client support, but only Messages supports iMessages and Google Chat. I think Adium has a Skype plugin, but from what I heard it's terrible and still requires Skype to be running.
Somebody mentioned this a page or two ago but Facebook chat is just Jabber. You can find the settings on Facebook's site.

Skype will never happen because it's a closed encrypted protocol and they're fighting to keep it that way :(

Edit: Oh I think you already knew that and I just misread your post. Oh well!

TACD fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 19, 2012

anagramarye
Jan 2, 2008

Array Age Man

Gordon Cole posted:

I think Messages is a big improvement too, but I really wish they would have taken the opportunity to make it a single-window app. They need to get rid of the floating buddy list and just stick it in the chat sidebar.

I just with developers would do this for everything, ever, with inspector palettes and drawers. :sigh:

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

You can still uninstall Messages if you installed it in Lion.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

TACD posted:

Somebody mentioned this a page or two ago but Facebook chat is just Jabber. You can find the settings on Facebook's site.

Skype will never happen because it's a closed encrypted protocol and they're fighting to keep it that way :(

Edit: Oh I think you already knew that and I just misread your post. Oh well!

Skype just recently released an API to use their service without their client, I think the latest Trillian for Windows has it included. Hopefully Adium and Messages include it, although I think it's only matter of time before Skype is folded into Windows Live Messenger.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

So, Mountain Lion isn't going to be compatible with my old Mac Pro 1,1. Can anyone shed any light on exactly what prevents it from being compatible?

Lots of sites are saying its to do with the lovely graphics chips in older Macs. I've recently upgraded the graphics card in mine to a Radeon 5770; will this mean I'm now able to run it? Or am I still poo poo out of luck?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

moron posted:

So, Mountain Lion isn't going to be compatible with my old Mac Pro 1,1. Can anyone shed any light on exactly what prevents it from being compatible?

Mountain Lion runs a 64-bit kernel. The original Mac Pro only has 32-bit EFI support and can't boot a 64-bit kernel.

Whether this applies only to the current developer preview or will carry through to release has yet to be seen; Apple so far hasn't made public announcements either way. Previous OSes have seen the support list grow as development continues.

On the other hand, Mac Pro 1,1 is headed for the vintage products list (5 years since discontinuance) in short order and may well end up unsupported. It doesn't officially go vintage until January 2013, so we may possibly squeak in for one more update. Cross your fingers.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 19, 2012

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I've just noticed that in the past six hours, I've downloaded about 4GB and uploaded about 1GB that shouldn't have been there. Is there a way to view a log file of sent and received data, so I can try and figure out what might be going? I'm on Snow Leopard on this machine.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Honest to gently caress, I'd love to understand what it is about ECC RAM and Xeons that makes people stick to their 5-years-discontinued Mac Pros. I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't get whatever cash for it you can right now and use it toward a new iMac.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

wdarkk posted:

No.

Actually, I have seen upside down traffic lights some places. I've also seem them do sideways lights the wrong direction.

Red should always be on the top or left so that colorblind people know what's up.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

timb posted:

Actually, I have seen upside down traffic lights some places. I've also seem them do sideways lights the wrong direction.

Red should always be on the top or left so that colorblind people know what's up.

Report it to the state DOT and I bet some city engineer gets a stern letter.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Is there a DownThemAll alternative for safari?

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

fleshweasel posted:

Honest to gently caress, I'd love to understand what it is about ECC RAM and Xeons that makes people stick to their 5-years-discontinued Mac Pros. I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't get whatever cash for it you can right now and use it toward a new iMac.

Most of the time those people have very specific needs and a certain version of a program that may not or cannot update based on some reason or hardware. Once you have the super expensive cards and software and it Just loving Works (tm) you don't really want to do anything to change that unless you shell out for the specific program update and needs OSX 10.X Snow Gopher. And reselling a Mac Pro is not like reselling an MBP. Very small market and most will just buy new when they have the cash.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

withak posted:

Report it to the state DOT and I bet some city engineer gets a stern letter.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipperary_Hill

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ptier posted:

Most of the time those people have very specific needs and a certain version of a program that may not or cannot update based on some reason or hardware. Once you have the super expensive cards and software and it Just loving Works (tm) you don't really want to do anything to change that unless you shell out for the specific program update and needs OSX 10.X Snow Gopher. And reselling a Mac Pro is not like reselling an MBP. Very small market and most will just buy new when they have the cash.

which pretty well contradicts concerns about support for new OSes.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

moron posted:

Lots of sites are saying its to do with the lovely graphics chips in older Macs. I've recently upgraded the graphics card in mine to a Radeon 5770; will this mean I'm now able to run it? Or am I still poo poo out of luck?
If you're lucky you'll get supported. If you're semi lucky you'll be able to do some minor tweaks and get it running fine, like I've more or less done with one of my old Mac minis to get Lion on it (I just edit a whitelist file).

I believe people have already gotten it running on that Mac Pro...but it involves using some kext from 10.7, so who knows when that might break. If it's a production/work type machine and you'd be hosed if something went wrong I'd wait and see before trying any hacks like that. I guess take it from the standpoint of running a semi hackintosh at that point.

Otherwise you would be boned.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Re: uninstalling Messages, isn't there an "uninstall Messages beta" option under the File menu in Messages? (I'm away from my computer today so I can't check.)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

fleshweasel posted:

which pretty well contradicts concerns about support for new OSes.

Not unless an update to the program with a new wizbang thing is only supported by the latest and greatest OS which happens pretty frequently, unless you are talking Adobe. And you don't want to invest in a brand new machine by that time, which could be years later.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Choadmaster posted:

Re: uninstalling Messages, isn't there an "uninstall Messages beta" option under the File menu in Messages? (I'm away from my computer today so I can't check.)

Yup.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I had thought that netkas or someone released a 64 bit EFI implementation for old Mac Pros and such. 10.8 might be doable even if unsupported.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

fleshweasel posted:

I'm talking to a reseller around here about doing just this. I love my Mac Pro, but it isn't long for this earth as far as new OS versions are concerned.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I forgot to ask, does VLC 2 do anything novel with GPU accelerated video on Macs?
Or does it just use Apple's own implementation?

The reason I ask is because the one in QuickTimeX only supports a couple of NVidia and Intel GPUs.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I hope they fix the interface and menu options for Messages. Right now it's a huge cluster gently caress. When you put it fullscreen, just the messaging pane goes, and it doesn't even go widescreen. It's literally 4:3 with linen behind it. Plus, your buddy lists don't even to the fullscreen pane. The buddy list(s) really need to be integrated with the main messaging window.

The menu options are completely non-intutive. There's far too many options, most of which are grayed out unless you have a specific window focused. (For instance, changing chat bubbles to normal boxes can ONLY be done when you have an open IM with someone. Why?)

I know it's a beta, but a lot of this stuff was this way in iChat, and never addressed.

The UI looks like iChat drank some Santana DVX and hosed The GIMP.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I can't seem to get messages to work properly and I think its something fundamentally wrong with imessage but i'm not sure what.

My wife and I can use iMessage on our iPhones just fine. Problem is that we both have each others names twice in the messages list and messages seem to randomly come from one contact or the other. In my case, one contact is from my email and the other my phone number. Our phones seem to just randomly switch which one they're sending with.

I've installed the messages beta here and the problem above is making things lovely. If she sends me a message my Mac will never get it. If I send her a message from the messages app and she replies to that then the mac will get the entire conversation.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

8ender posted:

I can't seem to get messages to work properly and I think its something fundamentally wrong with imessage but i'm not sure what.

My wife and I can use iMessage on our iPhones just fine. Problem is that we both have each others names twice in the messages list and messages seem to randomly come from one contact or the other. In my case, one contact is from my email and the other my phone number. Our phones seem to just randomly switch which one they're sending with.

I've installed the messages beta here and the problem above is making things lovely. If she sends me a message my Mac will never get it. If I send her a message from the messages app and she replies to that then the mac will get the entire conversation.
Delete all current conversations on your iDevices, and then change your Settings>Messages>Caller ID setting on your iDevices to your AppleID.

That should fix the "multiple accounts / erratic replies" problem. iMessages is still a clunky mess when it comes to consolidating/syncing conversations from different devices though. Just give it time.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

fleshweasel posted:

I completely fail to understand why you wouldn't get whatever cash for it you can right now and use it toward a new iMac.

Where do you find the iMac's 4 internal 3.5" SATA bays and 3 PCIe slots? Where do you connect your eSATA peripherals? (Probably not to OWC's adapter. No multiplier.) Where do you connect your third through sixth screens? How do you get rid of the (admittedly decent) space-hogging consumer-grade display many users neither want nor need?

A lot of users could technically and theoretically shoehorn themselves onto an iMac courtesy of Thunderbolt, but it would be an unholy abortion of yet-unreleased Sonnet PCIe enclosures and JBOD/RAID enclosures and other crap piled in front of an oft-superfluous 27" iMac screen. And you'd end up at the point you've spent more than the cost of another drat Mac Pro, Mid-2010 refresh date notwithstanding.

There is, at this stage of the game, nowhere good for many original Mac Pro owners to go.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Well, I got my one for free from my last job (it got 'damaged in a flood' and they were throwing it out, so they said i could have it, and it turns out it worked absolutely fine). I bumped the RAM up to 16GB, put a decent video card in, and fitted a Crucial M4 SSD to boot from alongside a couple of 1TB drives, and it's actually a pretty decent machine now. To be honest, though, I mainly use it for light internet browsing/media consumption, so don't really push it enough to see how lovely the CPUs have become, but it runs really well.

So, I guess I'll be selling it over the coming weeks; hopefully before people catch on that Mountain Lion won't run on it and it's value really bottoms out. I think I'll be lucky to get more than a few hundred pounds for it, though. I won't be able to afford a decent replacement with the money I get back from it, anyway. Urghh.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...

moron posted:

Well, I got my one for free from my last job (it got 'damaged in a flood' and they were throwing it out, so they said i could have it, and it turns out it worked absolutely fine). I bumped the RAM up to 16GB, put a decent video card in, and fitted a Crucial M4 SSD to boot from alongside a couple of 1TB drives, and it's actually a pretty decent machine now. To be honest, though, I mainly use it for light internet browsing/media consumption, so don't really push it enough to see how lovely the CPUs have become, but it runs really well.

So, I guess I'll be selling it over the coming weeks; hopefully before people catch on that Mountain Lion won't run on it and it's value really bottoms out. I think I'll be lucky to get more than a few hundred pounds for it, though. I won't be able to afford a decent replacement with the money I get back from it, anyway. Urghh.

Dibs on it depending on price and if you'll ship to the US. lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Anyone's CPU going a little nuts with VLC 2? I have a video open in it and it's eating up 26% of my CPU, while the same video is registering as ~10% with 1.1.5. What an I do, here?

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want to connect Facebook Chat to one of them but the Skype client is really terrible, and the Messages client (unless it was changed since iChat) creates individual buddy lists for each protocol, which is hilarious.

iChat as of Lion added an option for a unified buddy list if that's your thing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone's CPU going a little nuts with VLC 2? I have a video open in it and it's eating up 26% of my CPU, while the same video is registering as ~10% with 1.1.5. What an I do, here?
Try messing with the Post-Processing Quality in the Input & Codecs in prefs. Not really sure if that's it but worth a shot. Also no clue if it does anything since there's still a post processing setting in the Video menu.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Will there be an OS X 10.7.4 and so on? I mean now that Mountain Lion is released. . . I am on a late 2007 Macbook and won't get the Mountain Lion, but all I really care about is Safari 5.2, which I think can be installed on Lion.

*er, now that mountain lion is announced and I think it even has an estimated release date?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 20, 2012

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Mountain Lion isn't released...

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Is there a safari extension that allows you to modify your HTTP request headers?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

THE LUMMOX posted:

What program should I be using to delete mistakes and splice audio back together?

SoundStudio is great. Bias Peak LE is even better.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ZShakespeare posted:

Is there a safari extension that allows you to modify your HTTP request headers?

Preferences -> Advanced -> 'Show Develop menu in menubar'

This should give you a list of user agents. Is this what you're asking about ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm on a Mac, and I'm using dropbox to get a bunch of photos to someone who's on a PC. What I did was compress the folder (on my mac side) and put it in my "public" dropbox folder. I then gave them a link to that zip file, which they downloaded and extracted. But the files they've downloaded are read-only. I can confirm this happens, I've tested it using vmware. Just to test further I extracted the dropbox zip files on my mac side, and they're fine, set to write and completely editable.

What am I doing wrong that's making my files read-only on windows? How do I avoid this without having to do all my dropboxing from windows?