Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
For those of you that have gone through DQV, how in the world are you supposed to beat any of the T'N'T boards? Compared to DQIII on the Game Boy, these seem ultra difficult. Even the first one is very hard to beat, I've gone through 20 tickets and never ended up anywhere near the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Harlock posted:

Dragon Quest III (GBC v)

For the love of God, find the SNES version and a translation patch. It is one of the best looking, best sounding and most fluidly animated games on the Super Nintendo.

Not to mention that it's my favourite in the entire series.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Armitage posted:

For those of you that have gone through DQV, how in the world are you supposed to beat any of the T'N'T boards? Compared to DQIII on the Game Boy, these seem ultra difficult. Even the first one is very hard to beat, I've gone through 20 tickets and never ended up anywhere near the end.

One of the boards, possibly the final one awards an infinite reuse ticket. After that its just patience and luck

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

That loving Sned posted:

For the love of God, find the SNES version and a translation patch. It is one of the best looking, best sounding and most fluidly animated games on the Super Nintendo.

Not to mention that it's my favourite in the entire series.

Dragon Quest III is my favorite Dragon Quest game, and I loved the GBC version but never played the Famicom or Super Famicom ones. Are they worth it? I just bought a SuFami and I think I might pick up Dragon Quest III for it but A) It's a little expensive and B) I'm afraid due to the battery. Still, it would help me practice my Japanese while playing a game I really like. I'm just afraid that it might be hard since it might lack some of the conveniences of the GBC version (Which I'm told was toned down difficulty-wise).

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Armitage posted:

If I recall correctly, I would usually save before attempting a board and reset if I lost too many times. Cheap, but so is searching a field and SUPRISETRAPDOOR!

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Armitage posted:

Are you kidding? I love those things. They were too easy, though...

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Magikoopa189 posted:

Are you kidding? I love those things. They were too easy, though...

The GBA ones were fairly easy. The DQ5 ones, too many times I've had a streak where I'd roll a 3, get to a space to go back 3 spaces, then roll a 3 again, over and over and over again.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Armitage posted:

The GBA ones were fairly easy. The DQ5 ones, too many times I've had a streak where I'd roll a 3, get to a space to go back 3 spaces, then roll a 3 again, over and over and over again.

The RNG has a time component, if it's anything like the boards in GBC/SNES DQIII (play the boards with save states, you'll see what I mean). If you're getting stuck in a loop like that, alter your button pressing timing. I know it sounds stupid and maybe it's just confirmation bias but, in my experience, it works.

The only practical advice I can offer is save before playing, so you don't waste too many tickets, and never search fields if you're trying to reach the goal.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If you don't have it by now, Best Buy has DQ9 for $5 today. Currently only store pickup is available, though.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

iastudent posted:

If you don't have it by now, Best Buy has DQ9 for $5 today. Currently only store pickup is available, though.
Thanks a lot for pointing this out! I just bought a copy. I've been wanting DQIX for a long time.

First Other M and now this, what's with these sales from Best Buy lately?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I don't know why but I've had this urge to play one of the Gameboy Dragon Warrior Monsters games. I think it's because I recently found my Gameboy Color copy of Dragon Warrior III. Fond memories. :3: I KNOW I have DWM2 around here somewhere, I saw it a while ago and just went "oh hey, neat" and put it back wherever it was, but Cobi's Journey is only 10 dollars on eBay. How does it, or the first one, hold up? I played them, one of them anyway, but it's such a blur.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I learned Cop Out in DQVI, and why bother using anything else? Let the enemy beat the crap out of themselves :3:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't know why but I've had this urge to play one of the Gameboy Dragon Warrior Monsters games. I think it's because I recently found my Gameboy Color copy of Dragon Warrior III. Fond memories. :3: I KNOW I have DWM2 around here somewhere, I saw it a while ago and just went "oh hey, neat" and put it back wherever it was, but Cobi's Journey is only 10 dollars on eBay. How does it, or the first one, hold up? I played them, one of them anyway, but it's such a blur.

Probably late on this, but DWM2 in general has more stuff than the first one and has the main quest structured around going to worlds to do quests rather than going through dungeons like the first game. Both DWM2 games have some differences in what kinds of monsters you're likely to find and I think what random side worlds they generate as well, but there's nothing in one you can't catch in the other. Or, failing that, you can breed any monster in either version.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Not really related to anything, but I've been playing DQ5, and I was making my way through the final dungeon just now. Got what had to be pretty close to the final boss, and I had a random fight with a Metal Slime King. I had been doing great going through the dungeon, no problems, and I was pumped to finally be beating the game because I've been playing it in bits and pieces for a while. Then the Metal Slime King cast Hocus Pocus and it drained my entire party of MP. No way to replenish MP for the entire party and I'm guessing the final boss isn't much fun with 0 MP. Had to leave the dungeon and turn off the game because there's no way I'm playing through the entire thing again right now. I am furious. That is all.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Dunbar posted:

Not really related to anything, but I've been playing DQ5, and I was making my way through the final dungeon just now. Got what had to be pretty close to the final boss, and I had a random fight with a Metal Slime King. I had been doing great going through the dungeon, no problems, and I was pumped to finally be beating the game because I've been playing it in bits and pieces for a while. Then the Metal Slime King cast Hocus Pocus and it drained my entire party of MP. No way to replenish MP for the entire party and I'm guessing the final boss isn't much fun with 0 MP. Had to leave the dungeon and turn off the game because there's no way I'm playing through the entire thing again right now. I am furious. That is all.

This reminds me of the way RPGs used to be. I love these stories. :allears:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dunbar posted:

Ahahaha you poor guy. Have you tried again?

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Yeah, I beat it a few days later. It was a breeze to get through the dungeon again because I'd already cleared it of items and beaten the miniboss. Nimzo didn't give me any trouble either, I only had to use 1 elfin elixer before beating him. Great, great game.

Going through the final dungeon, I fought another enemy further into the dungeon than previously, and he cast Hocus Pocus. I actually yelled NO! out loud but it fired with some other effect. Pretty sure I'd have thrown my DS across the room if it had happened again.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It has a post-game, you know. :)

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

My girlfriend got a 3DS, so I've been using her old DS now to catch up on all the Dragon Quest games I missed. I've purchased V, but was wondering if IX is a good solo game at all, or if I would be better off just purchasing two copies for me and her to play with.

edit: vvv decided to pony up and get two copies, which wasn't so bad since it's on sale on http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-IX-Sentinels-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002I0EH6I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329658393&sr=8-1 amazon right now.

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 19, 2012

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

My girlfriend got a 3DS, so I've been using her old DS now to catch up on all the Dragon Quest games I missed. I've purchased V, but was wondering if IX is a good solo game at all, or if I would be better off just purchasing two copies for me and her to play with.

9 was DESIGNED to be a party game, so you may have to pony up...I played it single player, but it definitely felt lacking. Also in the plot, since it was obvious that the extra party members may as well have been ghosts since they were never intended to matter.

In a way, Dq9 is like Dq1.

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Dragon Quest 9 is one of the best jRPGs of all time, and you should probably just get two copies. Especially because the game only has one save. Don't feel too much pressure to get two copies if you think she wouldn't like it that much, though. The game is great solo or in a group. I went through the game completely solo and I had a blast, while my boss went through the game with his wife and enjoyed it just as much.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mister Roboto posted:

I played it single player, but it definitely felt lacking.

Chalk it up to personal opinion I suppose, but dear god I could not disagree more. Closing in on the three hundred hour mark on my DQ9 save file entirely solo and still absolutely loving the post game. It's *the* perfect "watching a TV show and want something to grind" game with it's crafting and gathering systems, class switching, etc.

The only titles that even come close to challenging DQ9 as my favorite DS title are Pokemon Black/White and Etrian Odyssey III. The only regret I have about DQ9 is that I can't purchase some sort of DLC packs to expand the ridiculously deep post game even further.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Personally I enjoyed the lack of characterization, since my main problem with most JRPGs is I don't feel like I'm playing a role at all.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I was fine with lack of characterization because the towns had enough characterization as is.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

BGrifter posted:

It's *the* perfect "watching a TV show and want something to grind" game

Definitely agree, I made so much progress on DQ9 just passively playing it like this.

There needs to be a thread dedicated to games like these.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I couldn't help but notice that DQ5 DS is going for just a hair under $12.50 on Amazon right now. Probably the lowest it's been on there.

How does monster recruiting work in that game?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BGrifter posted:

It's *the* perfect "watching a TV show and want something to grind" game

I've always found that this is a poor reason to play a game; shouldn't it be immersive rather than passively barely registering?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

iastudent posted:

I couldn't help but notice that DQ5 DS is going for just a hair under $12.50 on Amazon right now. Probably the lowest it's been on there.

How does monster recruiting work in that game?

You fight a monster, kill it - maybe it'll join your party, maybe it won't. It's pretty random and ineffective as far as monster recruitment goes but it works. The thing is, if you recruit specific monsters the game becomes a complete breeze.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I've always found that this is a poor reason to play a game; shouldn't it be immersive rather than passively barely registering?

A summation of standard push-x-to-win rpgs

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mister Roboto posted:

As I said, likely a difference of personal taste. I love games with a wide variety of things to do and acquire that sometimes take my undivided attention and at others can be played during commerical breaks/on the bus/while half-watching the evening news on TV. I liked MMOs for a lot of years for much the same reason.

On the flipside I rarely get a chance to play stuff I'm enjoying on the PS3 because it requires my undivided attention and preferably no competing noise from the TV/laptops/etc. I'm loving Batman Arkham City, but it can be weeks between opportunities to play.

It sounds like you only played the main storyline, if so you might want to pick it back up again. The main storyline is just a speed bump on the way to the real meat of the game, a massive complex randomly generated dungeon crawler with the end goal of levelling and defeating classic Dragon Quest bosses. It's not for everybody, but for people who find that appealing it's incredibly well done.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mister Roboto posted:

You act like beating Metal Slimes is time extensive or even something that requires your undivided attention.

Dragon Quest IX is easily my favorite ds game. Phenomenal. I dumped 80 hours into that game and still haven't finished the post game. It took me almost 40 hours just to get the boat because I was so busy questing and loving around. If DQ9 had a more interesting story ala DQ4/5 and better quests to unlock classes, it would be my favorite DQ.

It's a shame DQ10 is an mmo for the loving wii. I may just skip it, which is sad, because I heart me some DQ, which has replaced Final Fantasy as my go to jrpg series, aside from SMT.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BGrifter posted:

As I said, likely a difference of personal taste. I love games with a wide variety of things to do and acquire that sometimes take my undivided attention and at others can be played during commerical breaks/on the bus/while half-watching the evening news on TV. I liked MMOs for a lot of years for much the same reason.

Well, to each their own.

I really just don't enjoy dividing my attention between games/other activities; it makes me as a waste of time--why do it if you're not actually paying attention to what you're doing? It's like studying while out with friends or texting the whole time on a date, you're not really putting 100% into either so the outcome is sort of lacking for both.

I don't really like grinding much either, though. This is why I liked DQ as a little kid but nowadays find grinding to be a waste of time. Hence why I like FF, while you CAN grind, they're designed nowadays to be way more fluid in their difficulty stacking.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mister Roboto posted:

I don't really like grinding much either, though. This is why I liked DQ as a little kid but nowadays find grinding to be a waste of time. Hence why I like FF, while you CAN grind, they're designed nowadays to be way more fluid in their difficulty stacking.

It's probably why Square-Enix have split the franchises the way they have. I've hated the direction the Final Fantasy games have gone for years, FFX is one of the worst games I've ever played. The only main series Final Fantasy title I enjoyed in recent years was the MMO FFXI.

Now that I think on it FFXI and DQ9 have a lot in common.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Fooley posted:

Personally I enjoyed the lack of characterization, since my main problem with most JRPGs is I don't feel like I'm playing a role at all.

JRPGs allow you to play roles, they're just already written. Sort of like how the actor who plays Hamlet is role playing.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BGrifter posted:

It's probably why Square-Enix have split the franchises the way they have. I've hated the direction the Final Fantasy games have gone for years, FFX is one of the worst games I've ever played. The only main series Final Fantasy title I enjoyed in recent years was the MMO FFXI.

Now that I think on it FFXI and DQ9 have a lot in common.

That's probably it. I personally see grinding as a waste of time. Like, 10 mins of fighting neat and weird monsters, that's cool to watch, but 90 minutes of that? Man, that's not stimulating my brain. To each their own, of course.

The FF games and the DQ games have very, very different design philosophies. DQ has kept its formula almost the same for the entire series, town-grind-town dungeon-next town. Arguably this is the basis for all jRPGs, but FF has definitely tried to shake it up with the various worldbuilding focus ever since the FFX days. Some people screamed their lungs bloody that FF13 had only two towns and you spent hours with Sazh and Vanille just talking, but to me, that's actually something different than the norm.

DQ's stories are simple and usually have very little to do with the overarching plots, i.e. the little towns with the usual mayor's daughter being sacrificed or whatever. FF, on the other hand, aims to have consistent worldbuilding and make everything grandiose and interconnected.

Neither is perfectly done, but I can definitely see why some people prefer one to the other.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mister Roboto posted:

That's probably it. I personally see grinding as a waste of time. Like, 10 mins of fighting neat and weird monsters, that's cool to watch, but 90 minutes of that? Man, that's not stimulating my brain. To each their own, of course.

The FF games and the DQ games have very, very different design philosophies. DQ has kept its formula almost the same for the entire series, town-grind-town dungeon-next town. Arguably this is the basis for all jRPGs, but FF has definitely tried to shake it up with the various worldbuilding focus ever since the FFX days. Some people screamed their lungs bloody that FF13 had only two towns and you spent hours with Sazh and Vanille just talking, but to me, that's actually something different than the norm.

DQ's stories are simple and usually have very little to do with the overarching plots, i.e. the little towns with the usual mayor's daughter being sacrificed or whatever. FF, on the other hand, aims to have consistent worldbuilding and make everything grandiose and interconnected.

Neither is perfectly done, but I can definitely see why some people prefer one to the other.

Yeah, we're pretty much opposite sides of the RPG-fan coin. I felt like the FF series abandoned interesting gameplay ages ago in favor of becoming lousy "interactive movies". If the characters grab me that can be tolerable, but in the case of FFX as an example I loathed pretty much every single character they introduced. More recent games have done little to change that trend, so we end up with a story-driven game full of people I wish death and misery on. It doesn't work very well.

Dragon Quest on the other hand keeps the stories simple and unoffensive, same could be said of the other two DS franchises I mentioned Etrian Odyssey and Pokemon. They contain enough of a plot to tie things together, but the focus is the gameplay mechanics.

Out of curiosity did you enjoy titles like Diablo II or Torchlight? The former is one of my favorite games of all time and the latter I've just started but love so far. D2 is pretty much the ultimate grindy loot-hunting game and I've not gone a year without playing it since buying D2 Classic at launch.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 20, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
If you're grinding in DQ you're probably doing it wrong.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Himuro posted:

If you're grinding in DQ you're probably doing it wrong.

For the storyline absolutely. Postgame DQ9 finding a grotto with Metal Slime Kings and going 1-99 in an evening isn't a particularly bad grind. Was worth the effort to have a bit of class flexibility and revocate my main for improved maps.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My problem in DQIX is that I'm scared to sell any of my items in case I can use them in an alchemy recipe, but at the same time I still buy every piece of equipment I can find, both for stats and for the fashion. I have no goddamn money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

YggiDee posted:

My problem in DQIX is that I'm scared to sell any of my items in case I can use them in an alchemy recipe, but at the same time I still buy every piece of equipment I can find, both for stats and for the fashion. I have no goddamn money!

If you don't mind a little grinding you can set yourself up for money pretty easily.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/faqs/61074

Takes a few cycles of the Ear Cosies til you can do Gold Mail. Once you get up to that 400kish range you'll never be short for money. Just do a lap or two of Gold Mail whenever you're short on cash.

Once you get to the post game you'll rake in a ton of cash farming legacy bosses for coloured orbs and vendoring the boots/gloves/whatever that drop.