Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

I really like Bulleit Rye, but it felt somehow thinner than Bulleit Bourbon. It's the first rye I've ever bought, so I dunno if this is just common among ryes in general, but its mouthfeel was much less syrupy than bourbon, and it definitely had less sugar. Still very good, but somehow less substantial, which is why I really like it for mixing but perhaps not as much for drinking straight.

Bulleit Rye is much, much lighter than most other ryes. It's got a really great floral, fruity aspect to it closer to pink peppercorn that you don't find as strong in other ryes. Whereas other ryes such as Old Overholt, Rittenhouse, and Russel's Reserve are very rich and deep in color, Bulleit is very smooth and makes for a great warm weather sipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I tried Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 and enjoyed it. Then I bought laphroaig and can't say the same. It tastes like campfire :(

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

But that's awesome.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

d3rt posted:

Then I bought laphroaig and can't say the same. It tastes like campfire :(

Yeah I didn't like the flavor either except I kept getting cravings for it.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

The first time I had laphroaig I thought it tasted like gasoline.

The second time I had laphoaig I thought it tasted like gasoline but in a good way.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

d3rt posted:

I tried Glenlivet and Glenfiddich 12 and enjoyed it. Then I bought laphroaig and can't say the same. It tastes like campfire :(

You can stay with the light stuff for now, but someday you'll graduate to the manly stuff. :v:

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

esquilax posted:

The first time I had laphroaig I thought it tasted like gasoline.

The second time I had laphoaig I thought it tasted like gasoline but in a good way.

Four years ago I bought a 30 year Laphroaig to put under the bar at my wedding (if you knew it was there, the bartender would pour you some).

Out of the 10 or 15 people who had some, maybe only two or three really could get past the "oh my god it's smoky" and realize "oh my god this is an absolutely orgasmic Scotch." So in hindsight I feel kinda dumb for doing that.

The only consolation was I got the bottle for $125 instead of $300 thanks to a pricing mistake at the liquor store. Apparently now they go for $600 so I guess I won't be getting any more.

natsea
May 31, 2005

d3rt posted:

I'm in the exact opposite boat. On my 21st I purchased a bottle of Quarter Cask and then a few months later I purchased Glenlivet 12. Looking back I really wish I had purchased another bottle of Quarter Cask. Any recommendations for my next purchase, or should I just go with Quarter Cask again?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm selling the whole bottle (minus 60ml) to my buddy for $20 so it's not a total write-off :)

If I like Glenlivet 12 and want to try something around that flavor profile, do I just go up in age to 15? Or is there something else a little more pricey from another distillery?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

natsea posted:

I'm in the exact opposite boat. On my 21st I purchased a bottle of Quarter Cask and then a few months later I purchased Glenlivet 12. Looking back I really wish I had purchased another bottle of Quarter Cask. Any recommendations for my next purchase, or should I just go with Quarter Cask again?
I guess I'll say it before someone else does. Ardbeg Uigeadail jumps out as something peaty, but distinct from Laphroaig.

I personally quite enjoy Caol Ila DE as well, it's my favorite of all the ACE'd Distillers Editions.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I'd recommend branching out slightly - go to a bar and try the Macallan 12 year (Sherry cask) and the Macallan 10 Fine Oak, Aberlour 12, and a Highland Park 12. They are all very good, all common enough, have quite a lot in common with the Glenlivet, but with enough differences that they will give you some solid info about what scotch to buy a bottle of next. If you really want something like the Glenlivet, you could try a Jura bottling, or find an independent bottler's take on the Glenlivet.

Natsea - I would suggest you try anything by Ardbeg, or Caol Ila.

ETA :arghfist: kidsafe!!! That'll teach me to leave a posting window open for ages!

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

natsea posted:

I'm very much in the same boat in that the super smoky/peaty Islay whiskies do it for me in a way that others generally don't, so I'd definitely second the recommendations of Ardbeg and Caol Ila.

Also, I'll reiterate pork never goes bad's recommendation of Highland Park. For a long time I found all non-Islay whiskies uniformly less enjoyable, but Highland Park 12 really made me rethink that stance. It has some of the stuff that I love about Laphroaig, but they're much more balanced against the other flavors.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans
Tried a bit of the Yamazaki 12 this weekend - mostly for the novelty of drinking a Japanese whisky. It was actually very good. It reminded me a lot of Highland Park 12, with light, honey notes but had absolutely no smokiness (turns out its an unpeated whisky). At about $40, its pretty reasonable, but I'd rather put that toward my favorite Islays.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 20, 2012

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I like Japanese whisky. I do get the feeling that there's a difference in philosophy which you can taste.

In Scotland it was more or less luck of the draw where you'd build your distillery, how your stills were shaped, how the water was etc... If you were on a peat-rich island you'd dry your malt with peat, if not, you'd use something else. Took a lot of experimentation with different kinds of malts and barrels and distilling to get it right. It wasn't an exact science but it turns out that for the most part it worked out good and you got a nice whisky.

It seems to me that the Japanese tried to copy the success of the Scotch distilleries. They are very meticulous about their whisky, with importing stills from Scotland made to exact specification and such. (Something distilleries in Scotland do now too, of course). Taking a very calculated approach to get the exact kind of distillate they were aiming for.

I find that you can taste the meticulous care in the quality of Japanese whisky, but it lacks a certain character, it's almost too well-rounded. Scotch whisky may have some imperfections here and there, but it adds to the character of the dram.

If y'all get what I mean. :shobon:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I know exactly what you are saying about Japanese whiskies, spankmeister.

Having said that, some of the single cask bottlings have more variety (as you'd expect) but you get the impression that the attempt is to make the 'perfect' dram.

I'm confident that Hanyu will provide more variety (for want of a better word) when they start ramping up their number of releases.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Any thoughts on Kirkland Signature Premium Small Batch Bourbon from Costco?

I know their vodka is rebranded Grey Goose. A quick google search says this bourbon is pretty much Knob Creek.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

skooma512 posted:

Any thoughts on Kirkland Signature Premium Small Batch Bourbon from Costco?

I know their vodka is rebranded Grey Goose. A quick google search says this bourbon is pretty much Knob Creek.

I haven't tried it yet, but I do know that it's a Beam product, and I'm not particularly fond of any particular Beam bourbon, so I'll probably just pass on it entirely.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Schpyder posted:

I haven't tried it yet, but I do know that it's a Beam product, and I'm not particularly fond of any particular Beam bourbon, so I'll probably just pass on it entirely.

Have you tried any of the Beam bourbons that don't have Beam on the label, like Knob Creek? I prefer woodford over knob but it's not bad.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

spankmeister posted:

Have you tried any of the Beam bourbons that don't have Beam on the label, like Knob Creek? I prefer woodford over knob but it's not bad.

Ya, this, seriously. How can you say you don't like any Beam products. Basil Hayden's? Bakers? Bookers?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

spankmeister posted:

Tigren posted:

Ya, this, seriously. How can you say you don't like any Beam products. Basil Hayden's? Bakers? Bookers?

Yes, I've tried all of Beam's small batch collection, numerous times. And I certainly appreciate what Booker and Fred did for the industry, essentially creating the small batch bourbon market out of whole cloth. And I'm not saying they're bad, just that I don't particularly prefer them. That is, at any of the pricepoints of any Beam bourbon or rye, there are numerous other bourbons or ryes I'd rather be drinking. I vastly prefer, say, the Wild Turkey product-wide character over that of Beam. The same goes for most Buffalo Trace and Heaven Hill products in comparison to Beam.

I won't turn down any offered drink of a Beam product, but I'm not going to go out of my way in any fashion to pick some up when I like pretty much everything else more.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anyone try the new Grouse yet?

The Naked Grouse:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

spankmeister posted:

Anyone try the new Grouse yet?

The Naked Grouse:

Haven't seen that yet, the bottle looks awesome though. What's the price point on that do you know?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Haven't seen that yet, the bottle looks awesome though. What's the price point on that do you know?
Between £25 - £30 depending on retailer, as far as I can tell.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I'm looking at local prices around €30, which puts it in Monkey Shoulder territory. (Probably the market they're going for anyway).

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Hmmm, I've honestly never had any Grouse products, what would you guys compare them too? That's a blend correct?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
Any opinions on good rye whiskeys for sipping? I've been thinking about trying Bulleit. I haven't had much experience with rye, outside of some Jim Beam rye in a Manhattan.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

NightConqueror posted:

Any opinions on good rye whiskeys for sipping? I've been thinking about trying Bulleit. I haven't had much experience with rye, outside of some Jim Beam rye in a Manhattan.

Russel's Reserve
Sazerac
Rittenhouse BIB
mmmmmmmmaybe Bulleit, but I find it makes a better Manhattan than just drinking it neat or on the rocks. I'd put it right around WT Rye as far as that goes.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I could see Bulleit Rye in a Manhattan.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

If you're in one of the few places where it's available, Templeton rye is amazing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Hmmm, I've honestly never had any Grouse products, what would you guys compare them too? That's a blend correct?
It's a blend, yes.

I don't really know what I'd compare Grouse products to, I only know that it's probably my favourite of the "big" blenders. The Black Grouse for instance that came out a couple of years ago is a cracking dram for the money.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've really wanted to try some Black Grouse, but for some reason Virginia ABC only sells it by the handle. I wanted to get my Dad some for Christmas, but he's not going to drink a handle any time soon when he's an occasional sipper and he's got a couple bourbons in his cabinet as well.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I'm getting a promotion/bonus/raise at work, and I want to buy a really special bourbon. I had a glass of the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year a couple weeks ago and it was shockingly good. I would happily go out and buy a bottle of it, but it apparently flies off the shelves here in Chicago. Short of one of the Van Winkles, does anyone have suggestions for a really great, preferably long-aged bourbon? The 20 year runs around $150, let's consider that a firm price point (though I'm always willing to spend less to get a better product :) )

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 23, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

crazyfish posted:

I'm getting a promotion/bonus/raise at work, and I want to buy a really special bourbon. I had a glass of the Pappy Van Winkle 20 year a couple weeks ago and it was shockingly good. I would happily go out and buy a bottle of it, but it apparently flies off the shelves here in Chicago. Short of one of the Van Winkles, does anyone have suggestions for a really great, preferably long-aged bourbon? The 20 year runs around $150, let's consider that a firm price point (though I'm always willing to spend less to get a better product :) )

You might have some luck with some single barrels or small craft bourbons, but I think it'll be tough to find them in anything other than specialty liquor stories. Here's a list from Bourbon Enthusiast with reviews and prices listed. It might help give you some ideas. I've heard good things about Eagle Rare 17, which runs about $50-60. I haven't tried it, however.

Just out of curiousity, do you like scotch at all? Because I certainly don't have any problem thinking of some really fantastic scotches for less than $150 ;)

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

NightConqueror posted:

You might have some luck with some single barrels or small craft bourbons, but I think it'll be tough to find them in anything other than specialty liquor stories. Here's a list from Bourbon Enthusiast with reviews and prices listed. It might help give you some ideas. I've heard good things about Eagle Rare 17, which runs about $50-60. I haven't tried it, however.

Just out of curiousity, do you like scotch at all? Because I certainly don't have any problem thinking of some really fantastic scotches for less than $150 ;)

I do, but I'm much more of a bourbon fan. I've got a Balvenie Doublewood 12, Glenlivet 12, and a Dalwhinnie (sp?) 15 on my bar right now that I have been making my way through slowly but steadily.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

crazyfish posted:

Try using wine-searcher or a similar website to look for Pappy in your area. Decent wine stores usually carry other fine high end products, and sometimes use the web to move rare wine (and spirits).

I have the 15-year and the 20-year in my cabinet right now that I use as celebration pours, both were basically impossible to find in New Jersey and were lucked into. I actually prefer the 15 year, it's got more fruit and satisfying hotness to it.

Pees With Boner
Jun 7, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just got some Laphroaig 10 year for the first time tonight and holy poo poo it's like the top of my mouth is just passionately loving the bottom of it

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been curious about Fighting Cock, a 103 proof, 6 year, bourbon by Heaven Hill (Elijah Craig, Evan Williams) and found it on sale ($12.50) so I grabbed a bottle. You might expect it to be thin, fiery and alcoholicish because of the age, price and proof but I was pleasantly surprised. There is definitely a strong rye content. It is not particularly complex but more so than Evan Williams or 1783. Quite smooth despite the proof. The first taste was almost off-putting but the aftertaste was pleasant and after a few glasses I would definitely buy this again. It would make an excellent cooking bourbon that you wouldn't be shy of serving on casual occasions.

crazyfish posted:

...does anyone have suggestions for a really great, preferably long-aged bourbon? The 20 year runs around $150, let's consider that a firm price point...

The only long aged bourbon I've had was Elijah Craig 18 at a tasting and I was very disappointed. Just be aware that because bourbon ages relatively quickly, a long aged bourbon can lose it's best qualities if too long in the barrel so spend your money carefully. Personally I would never spend $150 on bourbon without tasting it first.

The Woodford Master's Collection runs $100/bottle and is well worth it but their Double Oaked (a previous Masters) will soon be a regular offering at $50/bottle.

i r bat
Sep 1, 2008
This whole scotch thing is taking a while to grow on me. Ive tried a Famous Grouse 12 YO and now a bottle of Johnnie Blue and I'm still finding it difficult to enjoy anymore than 1 glass.

To be honest I actually prefer the Famous Grouse to the blue label

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Why did you buy the Blue Label anyway?

Because it's "the best"? (Because it's not)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i r bat
Sep 1, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Why did you buy the Blue Label anyway?

Because it's "the best"? (Because it's not)

Originally bought it to share with a friend when he got back from Afghanistan (big scotch drinker), still have a 1/4 of a bottle left, having a glass right now :)