Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

YggiDee posted:

My problem in DQIX is that I'm scared to sell any of my items in case I can use them in an alchemy recipe, but at the same time I still buy every piece of equipment I can find, both for stats and for the fashion. I have no goddamn money!

That's what the supplies you find on the world map are for. Since they respawn, there's no need to worry about supply limitations too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Dragon Quest IX is not like Dragon Quest I. It's more like Dragon Quest III which is something I loved about it. It's not quite on the same level in terms of scale but I don't think having generic party members in a game like that is a problem.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thing I disliked most about DQIX is the fact that it doesn't really have an ending. This is good if you want More Game, but the opposite side of the coin is that when you do stop playing, it's because you're sick of it. I also really disliked grottoes; if you don't live in a major population center, eventually there's nothing left to the game but slogging through an incredibly bland random dungeon in the hopes that the reward it gives you is access to another one with better stuff in it. You really lose your sense of forward progress.

The idea that Dragon Quest usually requires grinding is libelous and false, but if you play IX for long enough, it becomes true. However, until you reach that point - and a hundred hours would be a very low estimate - it's very good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bongo Bill posted:

The idea that Dragon Quest usually requires grinding is libelous and false, but if you play IX for long enough, it becomes true. However, until you reach that point - and a hundred hours would be a very low estimate - it's very good.

I just checked my save file and I'm sitting at 232+1/2 hours so far, so I probably won't make it to 300 before I've accomplished all I want but I should be pretty close. Right now I just need to snag a few more sets of orbs, three Metal King Armors and a bunch of Agates of Evolution to finish upgrading all my Soul Suckers/Heavenly Helms/Invincible Trousers and an Aurora Staff/Seraph's Robe for my Priest. Once that's done I'll level all the legacy bosses to 99 and call it a day.

I may at some point go back to 100% alchemy and items, but it's nothing I'm in a huge rush to do. Having my party fully kitted out in the best gear and killing all the bosses at max level is enough.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Bongo Bill posted:

The thing I disliked most about DQIX is the fact that it doesn't really have an ending. This is good if you want More Game, but the opposite side of the coin is that when you do stop playing, it's because you're sick of it. I also really disliked grottoes; if you don't live in a major population center, eventually there's nothing left to the game but slogging through an incredibly bland random dungeon in the hopes that the reward it gives you is access to another one with better stuff in it. You really lose your sense of forward progress.

To be fair, that's mostly post-game. The story ends, but the game itself is loving huge.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, we're pretty much opposite sides of the RPG-fan coin. I felt like the FF series abandoned interesting gameplay ages ago in favor of becoming lousy "interactive movies". If the characters grab me that can be tolerable, but in the case of FFX as an example I loathed pretty much every single character they introduced. More recent games have done little to change that trend, so we end up with a story-driven game full of people I wish death and misery on. It doesn't work very well.

Dragon Quest on the other hand keeps the stories simple and unoffensive, same could be said of the other two DS franchises I mentioned Etrian Odyssey and Pokemon. They contain enough of a plot to tie things together, but the focus is the gameplay mechanics.

Out of curiosity did you enjoy titles like Diablo II or Torchlight? The former is one of my favorite games of all time and the latter I've just started but love so far. D2 is pretty much the ultimate grindy loot-hunting game and I've not gone a year without playing it since buying D2 Classic at launch.

Never played either, but I didn't like Diablo 1 at all. It was just clickclickclick. Of course, I was like 8, so maybe I am misremembering a bit...

In any case, yeah, DQ has never really been about characterization--and this is not necessarily a bad thing (or good). It's just a thing it does. FF tries to create people with real histories and personalities and flaws and differences, and it works. When I say works I do not mean everyone likes them, because man do people love to rant about which FF character they hate. If anything, people hating them SHOWS that FF's formula works in creating characters that are 'real' enough to dislike.

No one dislikes any DQ characters. For that matter, no one really likes them either. No, put your hand down, no you don't--you like their great, distinctive, Toriyama designs and the fun you had playing them, but really almost all DQ characters are barely more than blank slates and from that point on it's all in your imagination. They're like early SNES FF characters. In fact, I'd put good money that people who love DQ now are also the types to say they only like early <SNES era FFs.

Again, this is not a BAD thing, it's just a different narrative tool.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I can think of boat loads of great DQ characters. FF is about war; DQ is about people. Torneko is charm incarnate and he doesn't even talk. The hero's story in DQ5 goes through a more interesting arc, trials and tribulations than most if not all FF characters. The characters in DQ8 are fantastic. DQ's characters mostly come from the vignettes and general populace - the king with a failure of a son who needs his son to complete his right of passage, the tragic figure turned to stone in DQ7, the various people who find the fruit of the tree in DQ9 - not the main characters.

This is why I say DQ is about people. Each town you visit has their own unique story that services the plot; someone out there is being effected by these event in their own way. Your characters are there to appease them. Some DQs are vignette heavy particularly 6,7,8 and 9. Some are character based, namely 2,4, and 5. But the overall point is that it's never really about YOU - with the exception being DQ5 - but the world itself and the people thst reside within it.

This is simplistic, sure, maybe even minimalist, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I rather enjoy how DQ gives the player credit, let's them do their own thing and let's them get wrapped up in a grand adventure with a charismatic group of characters.

Despite having more melodrama and characters that talk, I don't think any scene in any FF has managed to top the scene in DQ5 that will go unmentioned do to spoilers. What a powerful, impactful scene. I never felt so helpless in an rpg as I did during that moment.

The interesting thing about FF fan complaints about DQ story and characters is that they worship Chrono Trigger, a game that has everything I mentioned in it to a tee, down to the simplistic motivations and development of the main cast. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

As someone who has no clue where the gently caress S-E is taking the Final Fantasy franchise, at one point (not anymore due to DQ10!) it was refreshing and even alleviating that DQ treats the player with respect, it doesn't have to spell everything out, and it doesn't have to make everything cinematic to do so either. I'm far from a SNES only FF fan, and I find DQ games to be some of my more cherished rpg experiences.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 20, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest's characterization is understated, but that's miles away from saying its characters are insubstantial. I think Mister Roboto just never availed himself of the Party Chat button in the games that had it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest's characterization is understated, but that's miles away from saying its characters are insubstantial. I think Mister Roboto just never availed himself of the Party Chat button in the games that had it.

Even then.

:allears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Sd9HP8njA :allears:

Sigh, DQ.

This is the scene from DQ5 I was talking about. Major spoilers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlMDlXnJ_5c

:allears:

edit: Please remake DQVIII for 3ds with a first person battle mode. It'd be the best DQ with first person battles.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 20, 2012

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Himuro posted:

edit: Please remake DQVIII for 3ds with a first person battle mode. It'd be the best DQ with first person battles.

They need to remake DQ7 first. That seems a likely 3DS game, since the carts are large enough to handle all that content and the previous DS remakes aped DQ7 graphically and stylistically.

DQ8 feels like it'll be a mid- to end-of-life remake on the Vita.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We're about due for remakes of the first three, aren't we?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Bongo Bill posted:

I'd just like to see all remakes in the DQ8 style. I have yet to see a 3D RPG nail the world map so well as that game. It just felt so huge and immersive. I always felt like I was exploring a real place.

Combine that aesthetic with 9's pacing and such and I'm a happy camper. DQ9 just had a great flow in general.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Terpfen posted:

They need to remake DQ7 first. That seems a likely 3DS game, since the carts are large enough to handle all that content and the previous DS remakes aped DQ7 graphically and stylistically.

DQ8 feels like it'll be a mid- to end-of-life remake on the Vita.

DQ7 needs something to make it about 50 times shorter. :(

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Bongo Bill posted:

They already exist (or will soon exist? I forget) on the Wii in Japan. I don't think they're getting translated.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Captain Vittles posted:

They already exist (or will soon exist? I forget) on the Wii in Japan. I don't think they're getting translated.

Those are just ports of the snes version of the games, which are the best versions of 1-3 available. Highly suggested.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I've started making Dragon Quest Formees on 3DS Freakyforms.
I've got a few more on this thread, and I'll be adding more.

Baby Panther.
The leopard spots were impossible to do.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm about 6 hours into DQ5DS and recently got a wagon. Even though the monster recruit mechanic, as stated earlier, is pretty random, it's kinda fun to be running around with a mixture of humans and monsters in my party. In some ways, the game resembles a proto-DQM with not as in-depth taming mechanics.

Also party chat is one of the best additions to the DS titles. My Brownie has a stutter. :allears:

Now if only those drat slimes would stop getting up after every other battle wanting to join up. I already have two of you, I'm not running a drat ark here. :argh:

E: Finally, got a Slime Knight to join up. At least half my party isn't small and blue now.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 25, 2012

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

iastudent posted:

E: Finally, got a Slime Knight to join up. At least half my party isn't small and blue now.

You must rename him Pierre. :colbert:

He was named Pierre in the fanslation of the SNES ROM and I thought that was the funniest thing.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Luceo posted:

You must rename him Pierre. :colbert:

He was named Pierre in the fanslation of the SNES ROM and I thought that was the funniest thing.

Was that the Dejap translation or a different one? It's kinda funny that thinking back to all those years ago, when I was just getting into emulation, that Dejap's work was hot poo poo. Eventually I realized just how incomplete all that was.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

iastudent posted:

Was that the Dejap translation or a different one? It's kinda funny that thinking back to all those years ago, when I was just getting into emulation, that Dejap's work was hot poo poo. Eventually I realized just how incomplete all that was.

Yeah, that was Dejap. It was pretty drat complete when I played it; I don't think I ever saw an untranslated string.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Luceo posted:

Yeah, that was Dejap. It was pretty drat complete when I played it; I don't think I ever saw an untranslated string.

Huh. I thought work on it had stagnated at one point but the last time I had looked at it was probably 04-05.

Also are there some monsters that won't join you in DQ5, aside from bosses.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Luceo posted:

The japanese names for the first two slime knights are Pierre and Arthur (I forget what three and four were), so don't give the fanslation the credit. Beyond having the sense not to change it, I guess.

(Technically ピエール and アーサー, obviously, but you get the idea.)

Don't recall what they were in the english DS version.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

iastudent posted:

Also are there some monsters that won't join you in DQ5, aside from bosses.

Yes, quite a few. When you finally get your hands on the Big Book of Beasts, it will tell you if a monster is recruitable and how tough it is to do it.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I would always change the name of my first Slime Knight in DQ5 to Goolahad.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

thark posted:

The japanese names for the first two slime knights are Pierre and Arthur (I forget what three and four were), so don't give the fanslation the credit. Beyond having the sense not to change it, I guess.

(Technically ピエール and アーサー, obviously, but you get the idea.)

Don't recall what they were in the english DS version.

Of course I give the fanslation the credit, because they translated it. If they hadn't, I wouldn't have been able to play the game until the DS remake. That's the point. What the original moon-language version was is of no concern to me.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Anyone have good class path recommendations for Dragon Warrior VII? Or maybe just some hints? I don't want to screw this up because the class system is what gets a lot of gamers annoyed at DQ7.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

Eggie posted:

Anyone have good class path recommendations for Dragon Warrior VII? Or maybe just some hints? I don't want to screw this up because the class system is what gets a lot of gamers annoyed at DQ7.

GodHand is a class that can kick lots of rear end. It's also the fastest class to master. The general path is Warrior -> Fighter -> Priest -> Dragoon -> Paladin -> GodHand, though I prefer going Fighter -> Priest -> Paladin -> Warrior -> Dragoon -> GodHand. I really like some of the Paladin skills, and you'll have some decent healing spells available as backup (your future GodHand should not be your main healer).

You could actually plow through the game pretty easily with four GodHands, but that's pretty boring. I like having a GodHand, a Summoner, a Monster of some sort, and a Hero (built up from the intermediate classes that don't make up GodHand or Summoner). The straight paths to these classes can be found in any decent FAQ/walkthrough except for the monster, but Monster classes are for loving around with anyway so don't sweat it.

The real pain in the butt for classes is the Hybrid skills, as the best skills require some messed up combinations (e.g. SwordDance is awesome, but Warrior -> Dancer - or vice versa - is an unproductive path for anyone but the final party member). It's up to you if you want to pursue any of these but getting a lot of them will amp up the grinding by a fair margin. I try to steer my oddball-Hero build to grab a few of these but, again, they're not necessary to finish the game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Oh man. Big decision time in DQ5. Which girl should I marry, and does it basically tell you what kind of party tag-along you end up with or are there other consequences later on? :ohdear:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

iastudent posted:

Oh man. Big decision time in DQ5. Which girl should I marry, and does it basically tell you what kind of party tag-along you end up with or are there other consequences later on? :ohdear:

In strictly gameplay terms, each of the characters you can select is different and fairly unique, but the decision has no other long-term consequences. Since you can and should fill any gaps in your party with monsters, you can safely (and I encourage you to) make the decision based entirely on what you feel will enrich your story the most.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

iastudent posted:

There are no real ups or downs in choosing one wife over the other. In the SNES original, the choice was between Bianca and Flora/Nera, with Bianca being the correct choice and the game guilt-tripping the hell out of you if you chose Flora/Nera. Bianca's father would die, Flora/Nera was level capped at 20, etc. In the DS version, it depends on what kind of a party member you want. Bianca is sort of a jack of all trades; she's good but not great at magic and attacking, and can use the Gringham Whip, and has decent but not great HP/MP. Flora/Nera is a healer and is not level capped in this version. Debora is a physical attacker and is the only person in the game who can equip Akilics-type weaponry. She also makes the hero sleep on the floor at inns.

I always choose Bianca because that's the "correct" choice, and because I like having that type of skill set in my party. But you'll eventually have to go without your wife for a while because of plot reasons so don't stress out too much over their battle capabilities. Pick whichever one you like the most.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I was watching my then-18 year old daughter play DQV, and, without any hesitation, she chose Flora. I was aghast and asked why.
She rolled her eyes, "What, you'd marry an older girl when you can marry into vast wealth?"

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I was watching my then-18 year old daughter play DQV, and, without any hesitation, she chose Flora. I was aghast and asked why.
She rolled her eyes, "What, you'd marry an older girl when you can marry into vast wealth?"

They're all the same age. Also the joke's on your daughter, because 3 game hours later… plot twist!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Frankly, choosing Flora deepens the central tragedy of the game. Without the benefit of the player's metagame knowledge, here we have a hero who's afraid to be closer to those he loves, for fear of losing them again; a hero who is prepared to give everything, even his own happiness, if he can remember such a thing, in pursuit of his quest, which is the only thing he has left of his father. It's as much a marriage of obligation for his wife as it is for him, and that's all they have in common other than innate goodness. But that proves to be enough, as they discover in the time they've been married, they've come to truly love each other - just in time for them to be separated from each other and their children. It's... it's just so sad, and I love it.

I use my imagination a lot when playing Dragon Quest.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I chose Debora in my playthrough. Gotta go with the most 'honest' wife, I'd say. At least she's not full of bullshit! I kinda felt Bianca was a bit of a jerk and liked to belittle the hero, and Flora/Nera seemed to have feelings for Crispin, more so than the hero. I felt kinda bad for the poor sap.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Armitage posted:

Flora/Nera seemed to have feelings for Crispin, more so than the hero. I felt kinda bad for the poor sap.

This is the correct interpretation, and it's a continuation of the SNES version, where you were basically beaten over the head that Bianca was the correct choice. Andy/Crispin's obvious love for Flora/Nera and her "I really suck at traveling, are you sure?" warning message if you pick her are reinforcements of Bianca being the "correct" choice.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Bongo Bill posted:

I use my imagination a lot when playing Dragon Quest.

Yeah, that's probably far deeper than the original writer intended, especially as the game makes it blatant that there really are right or wrong choices.

But that's the norm for early jrpgs, older FF fans have the same imagination-gone-farther-than-the-plot in FF4-6, too.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 5, 2012

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

There are three choices.
There are three save slots.
Problem solved.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, that's probably far deeper than the original writer intended, especially as the game makes it blatant that it really are right or wrong choices.

But that's the norm for early jrpgs, older FF fans have the same imagination-gone-farther-than-the-plot in FF4-6, too.

A holdover from games older than that where there was no characterization. Which, I suppose is a holdover from PnP RPGs. The original Final Fantasy was definitely influenced by Dungeons and Dragons.

I remember being a kid and watching my dad play FF1, and he'd have created these backstories for the Fighter, the Red Mage, the Thief and the White Mage in his party, and why they're all together in the first town. It's something I took with me, and I brought it over to DQIX when I was creating my fightbot party members at the Quester's Rest. The Warrior wanted to be a palace guard, but was laughed out of the academy for being a woman, so she struck out on her own. The Martial Artist wanted to become the Strongest Man in the World. The Thief was a bored, spoiled rich-girl who was slumming and wanted to tag along.

As the game progressed, the motivations for the characters changed, and I made their skill and vocation choices reflect that.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Leofish posted:

As the game progressed, the motivations for the characters changed, and I made their skill and vocation choices reflect that.

Yeah, and I think this is part of the reason there's so many angry rageouts about how :argh::argh: SQUARE ENIX RAPED MY CHILDHOOD WITH GAY GIRLY MEN HEROES NOT LIKE WHEN I WAS A KID :argh: :argh:

It's just not the same experience anymore, because the characters aren't blank slates for you to project yourself into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I love that about jrpgs. People say jrpgs often don't have role playing, but I disagree, particularly in the case of games like SMT and Dragon Quest. It's something that really clicks with me and yet I can't explain why.