Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Novasol posted:

I did a Let's Play of that stupid game way back in the dark ages of the LP forum. His expression is pretty accurate for anyone who has had to play that game. Death is not a good enough punishment for that stupid persimmon who drops all your items every level.

Kinda surprised at the lack of jokes though, as the game is incredibly nonsensical as it progresses.

That LP was fantastic. I discovered that lovely game many years ago by total chance, and was in constant bewilderment as to why it was even made, much less translated. The screenshot of the gulag with the dying vegetables will haunt my nightmares forever.

(also gently caress that rear end in a top hat persimmon)

It is weird how Arino has very little to say about it. Even the most amateur of comedians couldn't miss some of the opportunities it softballs your way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Are you implying Arino is the type to go for cheap gags? :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

and was in constant bewilderment as to why it was even made, much less translated.

Well, it was the Age of the Choose Your Own Adventure... on the computer! It felt like a very, very weird and mildly disconcerting Dragon's Keep, really. They were just capitalizing on the Sierra Games For Kids market.

The one that ended in, like, 1985.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Bocc Kob posted:

Are you implying Arino is the type to go for cheap gags? :colbert:

He just wants to throw a ritzy party.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Shock Trooper posted:

He just wants to throw a ritzy party.

He just wants to go where fashion sits...:rimshot:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Just as a reminder guys, requesting episodes doesn't do a lot of good (unless one of the translators is actually asking, of course). We've got four translations done right now that I can't think of anyone ever asking for them and I promise you that they are going to be amazing episodes even if they weren't on your radar. There's a fifth translation finished that until yesterday no one had ever requested and that's going to be an amazing episode.

If we went by popular requests then we'd only ever touch the ones about famous games. You guys would have missed out on truly great episodes if that was the case.

So trust the translators' episode selection. They know what they're doing.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
How I feel when I don't have any new GCCX episodes to watch:

Thanks again for all your hard work, guys. I can't even tell you how much I appreciate it.

Keidrych
Feb 3, 2011

Thank god. Your precious SCOTTY DOGS are still here. You don't know what you'd do without them. You don't want to even think about it.
As far as season torrents go there's only 4, 6 and 9 so far, right? I wouldn't want to have missed one.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Random Stranger posted:

So trust the translators' episode selection. They know what they're doing.
I've been happy with the translators' episode selections so far with a few minor exceptions (mostly Mario 64, which wasn't a bad episode, but part one in particular didn't show Arino struggling as much as usual), so I already trust them enough to make the right choices. :)

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Corridor posted:

gulag with the dying vegetables
Welp, I guess I know what I'm playing next time I get bored.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Obeast posted:

I've been happy with the translators' episode selections so far with a few minor exceptions (mostly Mario 64, which wasn't a bad episode, but part one in particular didn't show Arino struggling as much as usual), so I already trust them enough to make the right choices. :)

I didn't want to do Mario 64 but did it to complete Season 4, which had an ongoing plot (same with Final Fight). So I wouldn't say that was my "selection." There are times when I translate an episode just for the sake of another episode.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If they only translate the best episodes, we'd eventually get to some point where all the new episodes were (comparatively) lame ones.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I'm definitely aware of that but that's our problem to deal with when we get there. There are some episodes I don't like that other people think are great and vice versa. Who knows, Princess Tomato may end up being an all-time fave.

That's also not necessarily true because like I said in the post before yours, there are times when I do so-so episodes for the sake of an ongoing plot or for completing a season (as was the case with seasons 4 and 9). Filling in the gaps, so to speak. I have a feeling that at this rate, I'm going to try to help complete the first 100 episodes first and then start doing things in more of a chronological order.

It really depends on my mood too. Sometimes I'll feel like doing an episode I like even if I'm not sure if it will be well-received. Sometimes I'll feel like doing an episode to fill gaps (as is the case with Mega Man and Sword of Musashi). Sometimes I feel like taking requests (out of a selected bunch). Sometimes I'd rather do a documentary-style episode instead of a game challenge episode.

I just don't want to feel obligated to do anything, because that takes the fun out of the project. I'm going at my pace because I don't want it to feel like a chore and lose interest. At least this way if SAGCCX ends up stopping for whatever reason before everything's translated, I won't regret not being able to do that episode or this episode.

I'll also add that Nagoyan wants to do a lot of the episodes I don't want to do, which works out well.

:words: I think about translations a lot.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 19, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

softcorps posted:

Welp, I guess I know what I'm playing next time I get bored.

trauma

Others may find this cathartic

Awesomonster
Feb 26, 2008

Because there's always an ending.
Awww, you guys are harsh! Princess Tomato is one of my favorite games ever :( I can't imagine it being an interesting episode of GCCX at all, but its super cute and super harmless. I genuinely can't imagine anyone being traumatized by it!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I would also defend Princess Tomato to the fullest (Percy drops any items you don't need anymore, dangit!) but judging from Arino and my boyfriend's reactions it doesn't seem to be everyone's cup of tea.

I should get the Famicom version, actually. The English version changed/censored a few things.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

zari-gani posted:

I just don't want to feel obligated to do anything, because that takes the fun out of the project.

Chiming in just to say that this should never happen and I am grateful for everything you (guys) do. I am learning Japanese and you're pretty much my hero. If SAGCCX had/has a donation option somewhere I'd definitely throw some bucks your way so you can have a pizza or something and stay motivated :3:. Thanks for all the free entertainment.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

Chiming in just to say that this should never happen and I am grateful for everything you (guys) do. I am learning Japanese and you're pretty much my hero. If SAGCCX had/has a donation option somewhere I'd definitely throw some bucks your way so you can have a pizza or something and stay motivated :3:. Thanks for all the free entertainment.

I and I'm sure the rest of the team appreciate(s) the sentiment.

By the way, I just finished watching the Detective Saburo Jinguuji episode so I checked to see how much the DS version is on Amazon... It's a mere 4 bucks. That's not much to lose.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Has there been a list of how many episodes have been completely subtitled versus how many there are total? I haven't been able to keep up with the new releases lately.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

miscellaneous14 posted:

Has there been a list of how many episodes have been completely subtitled versus how many there are total? I haven't been able to keep up with the new releases lately.

First post.

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
I was playing Monster Party last night and man, that would be an amazing episode. I'd love to see Arino's reaction to "Sorry, I'm Dead."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time for some more revived torrents.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Download torrent81 (1 files; 462.83 MB)
View torrent stats

Korea Trip

Download torrent81 (1 files; 525.37 MB)
View torrent stats

Quest of Ki Part 1

Download torrent81 (1 files; 677.41 MB)
View torrent stats

Also, why must they put this much text on an interface:

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 20, 2012

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012

zari-gani posted:

By the way, I just finished watching the Detective Saburo Jinguuji episode so I checked to see how much the DS version is on Amazon... It's a mere 4 bucks. That's not much to lose.

If you do, let us know how different it is from what Arino played. I played it myself and watched the episode and it seemed QUITE different but seeing as I'm still completely defenseless against Japanese without spending five minutes looking up each word, I couldn't tell how different. Though, I'm pretty sure the DS version doesn't have a hotel or hotel staff as part of your investigation which Arino clearly did.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

torrents

Do any of the episodes you're reuploading have differences from the original releases? Like fixing spelling errors and such?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Sideways text overlays :aaaaa:

Are you going to put up the interface text every single time?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Do any of the episodes you're reuploading have differences from the original releases? Like fixing spelling errors and such?

Some of them do since I'm seeding the torrent based on the most recent version I have. I don't recall off hand which episodes have the changes though.

zari-gani posted:

Are you going to put up the interface text every single time?

Yes. I had to do that with Tokimeki Memorial too.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
So I know you guys don't take donations, but is there anything the translators or timers need in terms of equipment? Hard drives, video cards, books, pens, paper, anything? Is there anything you guys need to make your lives easier that I/we could help out with? It would please me greatly if I could contribute something that would be of use to the team.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Oh man there is gonna be a metric poo poo-tonne of pausing in our future.

I hope my keyboard can hold up to the stress. :ohdear:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

xamphear posted:

So I know you guys don't take donations, but is there anything the translators or timers need in terms of equipment? Hard drives, video cards, books, pens, paper, anything? Is there anything you guys need to make your lives easier that I/we could help out with? It would please me greatly if I could contribute something that would be of use to the team.

I can only speak for myself and say that the offer is appreciated but not necessary.

However, we are in the very early stages of a project for those GCCX fans who do want to support the team. It's going to be a while before we're ready but you'll know when it's time.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I would think one of the best resources a translator could have are specialized knowledge resources, as opposed to physical equipment. There are/can be a lot of times when you come across some very niche or specialized topics and you know there's got to be a specific way to say it in English, but you're either not quite sure how to get to the answer, or doing so would require way too much research and effort, or maybe you just want to be extra sure of your translation.

I doubt it's a problem that comes up incredibly often in a show like GCCX, and I don't know how much research the train thing involved, but if people really want to help out then maybe they can share those semi-obscure topics they have perverse knowledge about? ... Like Arino and his Cream Lemon.

This isn't the best example, but in some of the earlier (TV-Nihon?) episodes, they mention "axels" whenever they talk about movement on motor vehicles, but always in a way that didn't quite make sense. So if the translator notices this kind of context problem, a quick question to a motorhead probably would've cleared it up to be an "accel(erator)" or throttle.

If nothing else, it can't hurt and at best it'd potentially save people some time when making these things.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
So, what has been the hardest episode to translate so far? Is it games with a lot of text, or are there some episodes that have more obscure terminology or are tougher to put into English?

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

softcorps posted:

in some of the earlier (TV-Nihon?) episodes, they mention "axels" whenever they talk about movement on motor vehicles, but always in a way that didn't quite make sense.

I think my favorite TV Nihon mixup is during an early Tama-ge when they had "Zebius" instead of Xevious, only to get it right a few minutes later.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

xamphear posted:

I definitely need a new external drive but that doesn't really help with my translating. Would just make my day job easier and a give me a place to put all my GCCX files! Besides, I already got the best thing I'll ever get -- recognition from the show itself :v:

softcorps posted:

I would think one of the best resources a translator could have are specialized knowledge resources

This is very true. And Google is the best resource for stuff like that. It also helps that I know a lot of Japanese gaming terms, internet slang and comedic slang.

softcorps posted:

This isn't the best example, but in some of the earlier (TV-Nihon?) episodes, they mention "axels" whenever they talk about movement on motor vehicles, but always in a way that didn't quite make sense. So if the translator notices this kind of context problem, a quick question to a motorhead probably would've cleared it up to be an "accel(erator)" or throttle.

It's funny that you bring this up because I made the same mistake when translating a motorcycle question in Quiz: The Feudal Lord's Ambition. I think it was univbee who caught the mistake and fixed it to "throttle." Words that sound like the right English term can trip me up sometimes. I try to be more careful about those now and double check with Google. But that was one episode where I was doing a lot of research online to make sure all the trivia was correct. It must've slipped past me.

Cemetry Gator posted:

So, what has been the hardest episode to translate so far? Is it games with a lot of text, or are there some episodes that have more obscure terminology or are tougher to put into English?

For me, Adventure Quiz: Hatena's Quest was the hardest. Not only did I have to translate all those questions and answers and fact-check everything, I had to deal with the pun-tastic riddles too. Some of those had me stumped for a while. Special trip episodes like South Korea and Cannes also take more work due to having to verify facts and names (especially the South Korea one).

Games with a lot of text actually aren't that bad because everything is laid out there to read; I don't have to listen to the same clip over and over again to make sure I'm hearing it right. The hardest part is re-wording everything in English and making sure it's clear, concise and natural-sounding. So I guess anything that requires a lot of fact-checking take me the longest to do. All I can say is thank god for Japanese Wikipedia.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 20, 2012

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Arino on your phone! Sort of. Triotos I mean TRIOTS (ahem) from RGC2 is on iTunes now. (I think they're doing an Android version too?)

1337_CroniX
Nov 22, 2005
The Warrior Of Ruin

zari-gani posted:

I definitely need a new external drive but that doesn't really help with my translating. Would just make my day job easier and a give me a place to put all my GCCX files! Besides, I already got the best thing I'll ever get -- recognition from the show itself :v:

Could you elaborate on this? It sounds great that you guys actually had GCCX acknowledge your efforts.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

zari-gani posted:

For me, Adventure Quiz: Hatena's Quest was the hardest. Not only did I have to translate all those questions and answers and fact-check everything, I had to deal with the pun-tastic riddles too. Some of those had me stumped for a while. Special trip episodes like South Korea and Cannes also take more work due to having to verify facts and names (especially the South Korea one).

I was the one who complimented and offered to help you translate the South Korea episode. I was wondering if you needed help with the translating the short Korea TamaGe segment in episode 51, Sword of Musashi.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Train geeks in Japan LOVE that kind of information.

The funny thing is, Densha De Go has an exclusive intro on the Playstation port (see it here) that shows a ton of trains that you don't even get to drive in the game. I think there's a Shinkansen part but there definitely is not a steam locomotive in the game (they made an entirely separate game called Kisha De Go for that). Most of the other ones are in Densha De Go 2 or Professional (which is a combination of the two with some other trains added in, I think it has the largest number of trains and routes out of the entire series)

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

rdbbb posted:

Arino on your phone! Sort of. Triotos I mean TRIOTS (ahem) from RGC2 is on iTunes now. (I think they're doing an Android version too?)

This rules so much, thanks for posting it!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

1337_CroniX posted:

Could you elaborate on this? It sounds great that you guys actually had GCCX acknowledge your efforts.

It happened about a month or two back, they put Zari-ganis fanart into the latest book and then sent her a free copy. It was freekin rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

This isn't a recent pic (taken by Nakayama at TGS '11) but somehow it's the manliest photo of Abe I've seen.