Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

buffto posted:

Well, I was able to throw one good set in Baton Rouge. Was playing the lanes way too deep in team and only eked out a 517. Came in the next day and went gang busters in doubles with 240-182-279 for a 701. Partner shot 531. We are currently in 6th place in doubles, although there is still like 4 months left. Then I completely brainfarted in singles and shot 501. Boo. Oh well. I didn't pay any entry fees, I made plenty of money in brackets and will probably cash in doubles.

Team is really hard to do anything in unless you've got 10 guys who are all on the same page as far as gameplan goes. That's why I've resigned my self to never cashing with my current team. Nice shooting in doubles. My high series in the Open is a 645, also in the doubles event.

How was the weather? I'm getting tired of Illinois :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
655 tonight, 228-190-237. 3 opens in the second game, and leaving single pins like crazy too. Average up to 207, highest I've ever carried this late in the season.

To everyone bowling in the Open, good luck, I hope to join you guys someday.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
First day I was in LA it was storming. After it cleared up it was pretty nice though. A lot better than Missouri.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
280-222-232 = 734 for Friday night.

Two of the guys on my team are not good enough for a scratch league, but we took two games and won 19/25 points. First time we won two games in a long time. Bowling tonight, hopefully I can keep rolling well.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I actually got to bowl head to head against one of the higher average bowlers in the league tonight. It was nice getting pins each game. Especially since I lost the first game by 1 and the second game by 7. I won the third game by 2 but my 13 pins handicap got me a clean sweep :)

Wish I could have carried a little better the first game. I left like 6 ten pins in a row during warm-up tosses and it carried over into game 1.

184 - 210 - 247 for a 641

We took a whole bunch of points from the second place team and more or less put the first place team way on top of the mountain. But hey, poo poo happens.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
588 Wednesday, 1st game was a trainwreck.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
So apparently Pete Weber won the Open? Did he tell anyone to "suck it" in the process?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Scarf posted:

So apparently Pete Weber won the Open? Did he tell anyone to "suck it" in the process?

No, but he did go batshit crazy

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Hey, me and ole Petey use the same ball! That means we're BFF's right?! :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Holy poo poo that trophy looks like it was crafted by one of those American Inspirations companies that sells bullshit coins and collectors plates on daytime TV.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Rough night last night. 196-175-191. In the 2nd game I left 7 single pins in such a way that if I carried any of them it would've produced a double. All this, and I have to watch the other team go Brooklyn for half the night and carry everything. My spare shooting was horrendous to say the least, but I was in the pocket all night. I was doing something weird with my wrist shooting 10 pins so I'll have to get that straightened out, because position night is next week.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Petey striking on his fill ball to win his 5th US Open was pretty god drat pimp, though.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
I have been casual bowling for awhile now, and recently decided to take it a bit more seriously, just bought my first ball (Ebonite Cyclone) and shoes. I spent quite a bit of time talking to the proshop guy as he was measuring for drilling and such, he said I'd probably be happy with a fingertip grip, based on my answers to his questions. I have always had my fingers completely out of the holes and just used the pads of my fingers over the holes to create the spin.

All of that being said, I'd like to learn how to correctly through the ball and generally understand the fundementals of good form. However, I am in rural Missouri (fairly certain there isn't a coach nearby), and the youtube videos I have looked through have a lot of negative comments. Usually saying something about how inaccurate the content/information is. Are their any videos or guides you chaps would recommend? Or should I just suck it up and try to find a coach in Kansas City? It's about an hour drive. :(

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
2 or 3 one hour coaching sessions spread out over a couple of months could get you very far. So I would recommend sucking it up and going to a coach. If you don't mind me asking, what town do you live in? I am in the Columbia area.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
I'm living in Warrensburg, I bowl at Whiteman AFB. Columbia is about the same distance as KC, if you know of anyone in particular. Otherwise I'll just start looking on my own. Thanks.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
660 last night 222-245-193 ;just ran out of gas the last game .. 9-0 match so we should be up to 2nd. Total inferno just matches up so damned well,had 10 in a row across the back of the second , first three of the third.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Couldn't carry for poo poo last night and I had too many splits to squeak something decent out anyway. Second game I started with a strike, and then the next nine frames were seven 9 counts in the pocket and two splits including one in the tenth.

196 - 167 - 202 for a whopping 565

Already found a sub for my little brother for next week since he's a whiny little bastard who starts punching chairs and poo poo every time he throws a bad ball. He started out in the 190s last night and then something set him off and he went 130 - 114. Our dad came out to watch and left in the middle of the second game because it was so painful to watch. This is a couple of weeks after he put up a stellar 210 - 120 - 118 series. It's hard not to lay almost all the blame on him after we've slid from 2nd place to 8th over the last 4 weeks.

I don't even care if he's bowling bad, I just can't stand him being a crybaby who stops trying after the first bad ball he throws. If he's going to do that I'll just sub him out the last 5 weeks of the season.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

brother :words: brother

Is your brother 12? Sounds like kids in the junior leagues. Also, is the league you play in not handicapped? Surely he wouldn't be causing you to lose the league with those scores if it was. What's his average? Going from that high of a game to that low of a game consistently is absurd, even if he isn't trying at all.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

He's usually about a 195 average but he's at 183 or some poo poo this season. Yeah it's a handicap league but bowling 50-60 pins under your average in games 2 and 3 every week doesn't really help the rest of the team.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Devo posted:

He's usually about a 195 average but he's at 183 or some poo poo this season. Yeah it's a handicap league but bowling 50-60 pins under your average in games 2 and 3 every week doesn't really help the rest of the team.

Understood with what his average is at, holy poo poo how does he average 190 when he throws 110 games. I would be frustrated with him as well.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
213-159-233 for a 605. No clue what happened in that second game... I had some spot on pocket hits and would just have the oddest leaves. We also had to spot 246 pins to the other team! Thankfully we had no problems beating them all 3 games.

Our anchor has had some tough times the last two weeks after throwing a 771 three weeks ago. He had his ball resurfaced and now it's not moving much at all. We think the guy may have polished it to 2000 instead of 1500...

Hopefully we can get it sorted out. We're doing a charity tournament next weekend. Really excited to go up against some stiffer competition. Don't get me wrong, we've got a great group of characters in our league, but it's not exactly a league that drives you to better your game.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 1, 2012

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Yeah, those are some ridiculous swings in scores. For a guy who averages around 190 I think that they should be able to at least pull 150 out of their rear end on their worst days.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin

Kamakaze9 posted:

I'm living in Warrensburg, I bowl at Whiteman AFB. Columbia is about the same distance as KC, if you know of anyone in particular. Otherwise I'll just start looking on my own. Thanks.

There is a lady who coaches in Columbia who is pretty good at coaching. Problem is, she is always really busy, so it would be pretty hard to get a time for a session. You can go to http://www.thepindeck.com to get their phone number. Her husband runs that pro shop and might be able to set you up.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Always exciting to go 257-245 and be staring at 101 in the 7th frame of game 3.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So, I've finally signed up for my first league! Starts May 1st. Will be bowling with my dad who carries a 225 average and 2 other guys who are 200+ averages. I'm going to shoot to hopefully carry at least a 175. My question is, should I pickup a spare ball? Right now I have my Storm Frantic and my Ebonite Evolve(needs to be redrilled, not using at the moment). Should I pickup a cheap plastic ball and start practicing spares with it? How many of you guys use a dedicated spare ball?

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
I think its good to have one even if it doesnt get used every week. Right now, I bowl at a place that just cakes the lanes in oil so there isn't much of a break on the back ends of our lanes, so I can pretty much shoot any ball I have at any spares. If you have an aggressive ball though sometimes it can turn over at the last second and start chopping spares and missing single pins and that can be frustrating, so its good to have something that will go straight lying around. So I would recommend it.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I refuse to ever buy one. I'm able to flatten my hand out and shoot straight at all the spares I need to. I can definitely see it helping someone who cannot flatten their hand out and still be accurate, though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I use one because 1. I throw very high rev, and 2. I don't have to alter my hand. It's much easier for me to keep my hand the same and throw pretty much the same with a different ball than it is for me to alter my throw.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

If you ever bowl on a pattern that isn't house a spare ball becomes a necessity. Even if you can flatten your hand out shooting at a 7 pin on a pattern with no oil in the middle becomes very iffy. Grab it just a tiny bit and the ball is going in the left gutter.

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Or if you are in a marathon style tournament and the lanes get absolutely scorched. Throw a reactive ball at your 10 pin and it will react with just the slightest rotation. I am guilty of just throwing my reactive ball flat at all of my right side spares, but I recently started using a urethane ball at all of my spares that don't have sleepers.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
I had an issue with my new ball last night. My thumb could not get in the hole, at least not easily and it would stick when I tried to throw it. My only thought is my fingers expanded due to heat as it was pretty warm in there. Is this possible/known? No issues when I bought the ball and I just went and checked it out a few minutes ago and it all seems fine. Any other thoughts?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Your fingers and thumb will definitely swell if it's warm and humid inside. Your best bet is to get the thumbhole widened and put a piece of tape in there. When your hands start to swell you can just remove the tape and continue throwing comfortably.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
212-235-256 for a 703. 3rd 700 in 6 weeks and the 5th of the year. I think my previous high for a season was 2. Took 5/7 on position night and we bowl against the 2nd place team again next week. So we have a really good chance to gain some ground.

Edit: For the thumb, it can depend on how much you bowl too. When I used to bowl a lot, my right thumb would get almost twice the size of my left. But yeah, I always keep my thumb drilled big and just tape it up anyway.

PendingForaBending fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 6, 2012

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Yeah, tons of things can impact how swollen your hands are on any given night. I get migraines, which tend to wreck my blood pressure. Even if the headache itself isn't bad at all (some of the migraines are just a visual aura thing), there's no way I could throw a game that day because my thumb would be swollen all to hell.

Salt intake, water intake, humidity, temperature ... everything's a factor. Constant worrying about my thumb is one of those things I don't miss at all.

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!
Is there a good rule of thumb :haw: for over-sizing the hole? 1-2 steps up maybe?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
If you are getting a new ball drilled or re-drilled, I would suggest getting the newish thumbhole slugs that actually lock and unlock. That way you can just switch out thumbholes as necessary.

http://www.turbogrips.com/products_learn_sw_grip.php

^These things.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The ball was coming out of my hand real nicely last night and I was absolutely owning poo poo on the left lane, but the right lane was a little inconsistent and it killed my series. I had 14/18 strikes on lane 9; the four I missed were three 10 pins and a 4 pin. I covered all my spares there. On lane 10 I only had 9/16 strikes including five splits that I did not cover. Game two I had a 290 pace going but went through the nose for an 8 count on lane 10 in the 10th frame. In the middle of the third game I alternated splits and strikes for six straight frames.

213 - 268 - 170 for a somewhat disappointing 651

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Doing my first tournament this weekend with one of my teammates. Doing doubles and singles. The rules stated "proper attire required." What does that mean? Do I need khakis/slacks over some jeans?

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Khakis and any old collared shirt will be fine for 99% of tournaments. You could probably get away with a nice pair of jeans too. Most of the time that rule is just in place to keep people from showing up in tanktops, ripped jeans, super short skirts and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffto
Feb 11, 2005
ass assassin
Yeah, even the USBC Open Championships allow jeans now.

• Locked thread