Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Retarded Pimp posted:

He's the guy that did this amazing real time chart.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahp7QhbB8G4

This is a bad thing because he is presenting history in a very dishonest way. By plotting income on a log scale, what he's actually showing is an ever increasing inequality between rich and poor. Yes lifespans have increased, the majority of all people are now living longer only to be exploited for longer which will continue to increase economic inequality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Awful
Oct 2, 2005

Tell your friends they don't have to be scared or hungry anymore comrades.

TLG James posted:

Apparently having sex with donkeys is common in Colombia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiGcWzw9QjY

:nws: There is some actual donkey loving at about the 13 minute mark. The rest is just interviewing people about it.

This is so loving awesome. I love how it is completely normal.

TheHordor
Jul 3, 2011
This has probably been mentioned before, but Crips and Bloods: Made in America is an extremely well done documentary about gang culture and what creates a gang and it's members. It's on Netflix instant streaming and everyone should check it out.

Tentakulon
Apr 12, 2010

BEHOLD THE REMAINS OF ANCIENT AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT! IF ONLY GBS WOULD LISTEN TO ME. MY TALK COULD SAVE THE WORLD FROM THE SAME FATE! ALSO BOOK YOUR SEATS NOW FOR PEAK OIL TO HIT THIS SUMMER!

The Mutato posted:

Someone suggest me the best documentaries about big scary animals. I think I've seen a lot of lion ones though.Not looking for something informative, just stylistically impressive.

BBC's Natural World aired its episode "Great White Shark" again a few days ago. It's about a dude from South Africa who used to make a living with tourist boat trips to feed the sharks and do cage diving, but over time decided he'd like to get to know them better and became sort of a shark whisperer. He now dives with the sharks every day, without a cage, learning more and more about them and being allowed into their world on a basis of mutual respect, so to say.

And here's something more about sustainability and permaculture:
Toby Hemenway - How Permaculture Can Save Humanity and the Earth, but Not Civilization
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nLKHYHmPbo

It's a talk about sustainable modes of culture, and Hemenway makes an amazing point against agriculture while talking about human history and our relation to the biosphere in very vivid, and often enlightening terms. Everybody should watch this.

edit: I just saw the second sentence in your request, The Mutato, so rest assured that there's some amazing slo-mo footage of 1 ton sharks jumping out of the water.

Tentakulon fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 13, 2012

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

GoldenWeapon posted:

Dr Alice Roberts explains the unique evolutionary path from monkeys to us, including the shape of our body, how food and the use of tools changed our evolution and the evolution of the thing that makes us more unique than any other animal: the brain.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/origins-of-us/

Not only is Alice Roberts amazingly knowledgable and very entertaining, she's ridiculously hot as well. Something for everyone!

The BBC series Coast featuring her is also great.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

thehustler posted:

Alice Roberts

The BBC series Coast featuring her is also great.

I love that show.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Ropes4u posted:

Bear 71

Tentakulon posted:

BBC's Natural World aired its episode "Great White Shark"

Amazing guys, thanks. Can't wait to be awed.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Tentakulon posted:

BBC's Natural World aired its episode "Great White Shark" again a few days ago. It's about a dude from South Africa who used to make a living with tourist boat trips to feed the sharks and do cage diving, but over time decided he'd like to get to know them better and became sort of a shark whisperer. He now dives with the sharks every day, without a cage, learning more and more about them and being allowed into their world on a basis of mutual respect, so to say.

This description reminds me of Grizzly Man without the tragic ending (yet).

Action Potential
Sep 7, 2004
Quoting a post I made in D&D's prison thread a while ago. Slavery by Another Name airs tonight on PBS, and is quite good.

Action Potential posted:

Just saw a preview of Slavery by Another Name. Both the Pulitzer-winning writer and the Emmy-winning director were there for a Q&A. It is a really cool documentary on the justice system of the south immediately following the civil war. Black men and women were thrown into an effective literal slavery via convictions due to the wording of the 13th amendment all the way through middle of the 20th century. By slavery, I mean legislatures wrote laws targeted at African Americans, local sheriffs convicted them on bullshit, threw them in jail and then sold them for a profit to plantation owners. The plantation owners used whips and chains to "control" their "convicts" that they bought and forced them to work their fields.

It is not too drastically different from our current justice system, so I would encourage all of you to check it out on Feb 13 on PBS when the full thing airs.

They did touch on the issue, but would not fully commit to saying how hosed up our current justice system is in front of 100+ old southern conservative people.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Sorry if its been posted already
Life In A Day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaFVr_cJJIY&feature=watch-now-button&wide=1

An amazing look into one day around the world from thousands of videos shot over the course of one day by youtube users and compiled together.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Dawkins and Krauss just uploaded an interesting two hour long discussion (actually more a circle jerk, but still amazing) on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH9UvnrARf8

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Imapanda posted:

I just finished Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and am feeling this big urge to watch anything else related to the knowledge of the cosmos.

I've already seen Cosmos, and Brian Cox's segments of it. Could any of you recommend some other similar documentaries? I heard there's a Stephen Hawking one? Are there any others? I just don't want to look through 50+ pages of the thread, and I don't want to be reminded of all the :smith:-talk regarding Dear Zachary again.

I actually asked just up the page, and Fayez Butts gave me this

Fayez Butts posted:

I think the current goon favorites are Discovery's How The Universe Works, narrated by Mike Rowe and Into The Universe, narrated by Stephen Hawking and Benedict Cumberbatch (of Sherlock fame).
I checked out the Stephen Hawking one. It's a little sensational (it's only 3 eps, and one is entirely on time travel) but the special effects are at least new.

If you're interested in the pure science without pretty graphics, I highly recommend this Lawrence Krauss lecture, A Universe from Nothing

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Elijya posted:

Lawrence Krauss lecture, A Universe from Nothing

Wow this is a great lecture, thanks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
A non politicial biased and detailed documentary about the Russian Revolution. One of six parts.

Finding one about the civil war is next to impossible though :(.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Imapanda posted:

I just finished Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and am feeling this big urge to watch anything else related to the knowledge of the cosmos.

I've already seen Cosmos, and Brian Cox's segments of it. Could any of you recommend some other similar documentaries? I heard there's a Stephen Hawking one? Are there any others? I just don't want to look through 50+ pages of the thread, and I don't want to be reminded of all the :smith:-talk regarding Dear Zachary again.

I'm assuming that if you have seen Wonders of the Universe you have also seen Wonders of the Solar System, the Brian Cox series that came before it. But if you haven't, you should since it is exactly the same sort of thing as Wonders of the Universe.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Poor America (BBC)

This aired earlier in the week and the title says it all. Poor Americans who live in storm drains/tent cities, a kid eating rats, people who can't afford healthcare, schools that give kids food to eat over the weekend just to make sure they get something to eat and politicians who don't give a gently caress.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

SeanBeansShako posted:

A non politicial biased and detailed documentary about the Russian Revolution. One of six parts.

Finding one about the civil war is next to impossible though :(.

I had no clue that little girl in the beginning was where the idea of giving a rose to riot police came from.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Sodium Chloride posted:

Poor America (BBC)

This aired earlier in the week and the title says it all. Poor Americans who live in storm drains/tent cities, a kid eating rats, people who can't afford healthcare, schools that give kids food to eat over the weekend just to make sure they get something to eat and politicians who don't give a gently caress.

Jesus CHRIST, that comment by Gingrich made me mad. "Oh, your kids are hungry? Let's fire the unionized janitors and hire the kids for less. Make them work for their meals!"

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

NightConqueror posted:

Jesus CHRIST, that comment by Gingrich made me mad. "Oh, your kids are hungry? Let's fire the unionized janitors and hire the kids for less. Make them work for their meals!"

Young children working so that their family can eat is NOT the cornerstone of a healthy country. What the poo poo, Gingrich? :(

That and the douche who keeps saying poor Americans don't have a food shortage problem makes me so MAD.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

marktheando posted:

I'm assuming that if you have seen Wonders of the Universe you have also seen Wonders of the Solar System, the Brian Cox series that came before it. But if you haven't, you should since it is exactly the same sort of thing as Wonders of the Universe.

Also he has another show coming soon talking about how life began. Wonders of Life, I think?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

TheHordor posted:

This has probably been mentioned before, but Crips and Bloods: Made in America is an extremely well done documentary about gang culture and what creates a gang and it's members. It's on Netflix instant streaming and everyone should check it out.

I finally got around to watching this today, and I will echo this post - it's a very well made doc and very educational not only about gang culture, but the racial conditions that lead to the formation of gangs in the first place (and race relations in America in the 60s in general).

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Can anyone recommend a good documentary about druids? I just watched A History Of Celtic Britain, which was not only fascinating, but one of the prettiest documentaries I've seen.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 19, 2012

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

Sodium Chloride posted:

Poor America (BBC)

I came into this with an open mind, but it was hard to watch, as they are poorly informed. The government report shows 900,000 homeless children, but here they report 1,500,000. Someone making $5000/yr would be eligible for Medicaid. The guy with the broken teeth would qualify for Medicaid. Many of the people are not availing themselves of all available resources.

As an aside, it would be nice if there were more of an effort to educate the homeless and the poor about how to avail themselves of government programs that would keep food on their plates. You'd think there would be government support for this kind of outreach.

Also, the interviews with the children were upsetting, but not in the way they wanted it to be. They seemed to be leading the children to give certain answers, in my opinion.

I'm not denying that they were reporting on a real problem, because they were...they just did it in a misinformed, low-rent way.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

I really enjoyed Poor America. Can anyone suggest other good Panorama videos that I might locate on youtube?

Defnoops
Aug 25, 2006
Cheese is a kind of meat
Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but UK channel 4 has a load of documentaries available on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/4oDDocumentaries

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Defnoops posted:

Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but UK channel 4 has a load of documentaries available on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/4oDDocumentaries
Even though they're on youtube, I can't watch them in the states. I wish there was a way around that...

edit: herp derp actually it was really easy to find a UK proxy.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

PainBreak posted:

Someone making $5000/yr would be eligible for Medicaid. The guy with the broken teeth would qualify for Medicaid. Many of the people are not availing themselves of all available resources.

Medicaid doesn't cover most dental services. It only covers a yearly exam, a limited number of fillings, and pulling teeth. Crowns, root canals, dentures, etc. are not covered.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009
Does anybody know where I might find Unlawful Killing, the documentary about Princess Diana's death which tries to provide evidence that she was murdered by the Royal Family? It's banned in the UK and I'm not having any luck looking for it online (although one site was helpful enough to provide the entire thing as a free download in a handy .exe file, how nice).

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I highly recommend "Manda Bala"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manda_Bala_%28Send_a_Bullet%29

quote:

The film details many of the reasons for Brazil's corruption including the fact that politicians in office there are exempt from civilian court proceedings, with the consequence that they will never be punished for crimes they commit in office. Another factor and the other driving point of the film is the ubiquity of kidnapping in Brazil, which ensures that the likelihood of redressing these crimes is fairly low and that someone's enemies (political or otherwise) are apt to disappear fairly easily.

Being Brazilian myself (and from Sao Paulo city), I can verify that yes, it really is that bad and absolutely nothing is being done or will ever be done about it.

Makes me really glad that I moved to America.

Unfortunately I can't find a link to it online, but it should be fairly easy to find. It's on Netflix.

Here's the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbff7PBDUP8

e: don't watch this if you can't stomach violence as it shows actual footage of kidnap victims having their ears cut off, among other horrible poo poo.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

PainBreak posted:

I came into this with an open mind, but it was hard to watch, as they are poorly informed. The government report shows 900,000 homeless children, but here they report 1,500,000. Someone making $5000/yr would be eligible for Medicaid. The guy with the broken teeth would qualify for Medicaid. Many of the people are not availing themselves of all available resources.

As an aside, it would be nice if there were more of an effort to educate the homeless and the poor about how to avail themselves of government programs that would keep food on their plates. You'd think there would be government support for this kind of outreach.

Also, the interviews with the children were upsetting, but not in the way they wanted it to be. They seemed to be leading the children to give certain answers, in my opinion.

I'm not denying that they were reporting on a real problem, because they were...they just did it in a misinformed, low-rent way.

Why the gently caress would you believe official government figures on anything at all? It is all totally manipulated to gently caress.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rycalawre posted:

Why the gently caress would you believe official government figures on anything at all? It is all totally manipulated to gently caress.

Anyone with an agenda is suspect..

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Rycalawre posted:

It's not just the government figures either. And rather than manipulated, the figures for our homeless population are completely estimated. The government likes to estimate low and other organizations like to estimate high.

The bottom line is that it's very VERY hard to accurately count a transitional part of our population that lives in tents in the woods, inside sewers, etc. Census takers can't just show up and count our homeless population.

That being said, I'm watching the newest episodes of Big Fat Gypsy Wedding on youtube and it's marvelously entertaining. It's like the world's trashiest documentary and I'm ashamed to enjoy it.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

MagicalDuck posted:

Medicaid doesn't cover most dental services. It only covers a yearly exam, a limited number of fillings, and pulling teeth. Crowns, root canals, dentures, etc. are not covered.

I just looked up the dental coverage for medicare, and...that really sucks.

Also, as far as not believing government figures, I apparently forgot to put on my tin foil hat. Ron Paul 2012. 9/11 was an inside job. Audit the fed.

In other news, PBS is showing an excellent, long documentary (from American Experience) about Bill Clinton, and the first part is now available on their site:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/clinton/

PIckle Toes
Jan 13, 2012

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

That being said, I'm watching the newest episodes of Big Fat Gypsy Wedding on youtube and it's marvelously entertaining. It's like the world's trashiest documentary and I'm ashamed to enjoy it.

Oh dear I watched that when it aired, and yep, it is horrifyingly delicious.

Ignatius-J-R
Feb 18, 2003

Credo quia absurdum est.

mod sassinator posted:

Wow this is a great lecture, thanks!

QFT; this is a fantastic lecture.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Ignatius-J-R posted:

QFT; this is a fantastic lecture.

I've watched it over a dozens times. Glad to hear others dig it as well.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Children Full of Life:
Part 1/5- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=armP8TfS9Is

This documentary is so inspiring. I saw it last year in a class and I was very moved. It's about a teacher in Japan whose classroom is a safe haven. The children are taught about how very important emotion is in our life, especially compassion. Watch this if you want to feel teary-eyed, but very good by the end. That said, be prepared to cry at least twice.

Barbie Nation:
just a small clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDIY0NPnR_U

If this is on netflix, watch it. I can't seem to find the full but this is an amazing documentary about the beginnings of Barbie, her creator Ruth Handler (whose husban co-founded Mattel), her life as one of America's most pioneer female business women to her being kicked out of Mattel and ostracized for creating the doll who sets impossible standards for girls. It also follows the lives of people who literally obsess over Barbie's, my favourite is an "artist" who blames Barbie for her not being a model and never feeling like she's pretty enough (the best part is her talking about only drinking an extra-large coffee with whipped cream from Starbucks every day and whining about how she wasn't skinny like Barbie was) all the way to a homosexual man whose basement is Barbie Shangri-La. Great documentary.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 22, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Toriori posted:

Children Full of Life:
Part 1/5- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=armP8TfS9Is

This documentary is so inspiring. I saw it last year in a class and I was very moved. It's about a teacher in Japan whose classroom is a safe haven. The children are taught about how very important emotion is in our life, especially compassion. Watch this if you want to feel teary-eyed, but very good by the end. That said, be prepared to cry at least twice.
I second this recommendation, this is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

the kawaiiest posted:

I second this recommendation, this is one of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

It should be what every educator aspires to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
Dioes anyone have any suggestions about medeival documentaries concerning warfare or even day to day life? I have seen the Terry Jones series qnd loved it. I just really want to find more about medeivia war and lifestyle preferably that I can watch on netflix.