Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Meh.. overpriced with mods you can do for yourself on a used sporty for 500 bucks and some Roth Metal Bomb rattle cans.

That can be said for basically any Sportster with factory mods.

It's a good looking bike. As you said, it can be done for a lot less money doing it yourself but the vast majority of riders are the type that buy their bike from the dealership and then take it back to the dealer to get all the parts switched onto it so they would end up paying that much to change a standard Sportster into the '72.

Clearly Harley's deal with the Sportster in the last few years has been to check out what guys are doing in the aftermarket scene and then incorporate it into a model in the next few years.

Guys were switching to wideglides and 16" front wheels and a few years later you see the 48.

Black became the new chrome with guys blacking out their bikes and then you see the Nightster and Iron come along.

Bobbing fenders and you see that on the newer bikes.

Apes have seemed to made a resurgence and now you get the '72.

Good marketing really. I mean they are slow with it and expensive but, well, that's Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm loving the poo poo outta the new '72 Sportster:

Looks so drat cool with those whitewalls.

Eh, I'm with Errant Gin Monk. It looks cool until you know it's just a factory option and no creativity went into it.

Now, I'm not a fan of theirs but I actually like icons new take on the Sporty'

Why does it have a winch? Because gently caress you.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Scrapez posted:

That can be said for basically any Sportster with factory mods.

It's a good looking bike. As you said, it can be done for a lot less money doing it yourself but the vast majority of riders are the type that buy their bike from the dealership and then take it back to the dealer to get all the parts switched onto it so they would end up paying that much to change a standard Sportster into the '72.

Oh I know, I just find it funny that they have to come up with a new name and charge 3 grand more for basically the same bike with some mini apes and a peanut tank.

I never will understand people that dont work on their own bike. I knew poo poo about gently caress when it came to bikes and my buddy has been teaching me all about them and how to maintain, modify and chop them ever since I got mine. Its more fun and wallet satisfying to take the 10 minutes to change the oil and filter yourself than to get charged 100 bucks to have someone else do it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Harley's been doing the same "change two parts, make it a new model" routine since the 80s. I want to say that that idea was part of the reason they were able to buy themselves back from AMF.

As for not working on your own bike, when I worked at the Harley dealership, I got a tip from a guy for zip-tying an American flag to his sissy bar because he couldn't figure out how to do it himself.

And street-tracker sportsters are the best sportsters.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh I know, I just find it funny that they have to come up with a new name and charge 3 grand more for basically the same bike with some mini apes and a peanut tank.

I never will understand people that dont work on their own bike. I knew poo poo about gently caress when it came to bikes and my buddy has been teaching me all about them and how to maintain, modify and chop them ever since I got mine. Its more fun and wallet satisfying to take the 10 minutes to change the oil and filter yourself than to get charged 100 bucks to have someone else do it.

Completely agree with you. Working on the bike is second only to riding it in enjoyment for me. Learning how things work, how to make them better, etc is part of the fun for me.

Sadly, I think we're the minority.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Completely agree with you. Working on the bike is second only to riding it in enjoyment for me. Learning how things work, how to make them better, etc is part of the fun for me.

Sadly, I think we're the minority.

Per their H-Ds own stats, the average Harley owner puts 1200-1600 miles a year on his/her bike, depending on the model. Yeah, we're in the minority alright.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

ReelBigLizard posted:

Now, I'm not a fan of theirs but I actually like icons new take on the Sporty'

Oh god, it's both Icon urban-combat wannabe AND a Harley...and I love it.

I need a shower.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Agreed. I'll happily spend a couple of hours busting my knuckles swapping tyres with levers and elbow grease than spend the (entirely reasonable) £25 to take it to a tyre place. But I also have some trust issues with the local mechanics; Saw a bike a while back where my ex-dealer hadn't torqued the front caliper bolts properly :stare:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Im on the lookout for a used Sporty right now to chop and make into something awesome (read: ridiculous) and skinny. But people here want 5500 bucks for a '95 883 and I cant take them seriously.

vvvvvv San Antonio, TX

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 10, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Where is here?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Im on the lookout for a used Sporty right now to chop and make into something awesome (read: ridiculous) and skinny. But people here want 5500 bucks for a '95 883 and I cant take them seriously.

vvvvvv San Antonio, TX

You should be able to get a used rigid mount for 3000-4500 pretty easily. I see them all the time around here.

I did a search on searchtempest.com and came up with a couple:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/2833888587.html
'96 with a stupid tank but otherwise looks good. Asking $4000

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2830346985.html
'03 with some extras. Asking $3500 - This one looks good if it's in good order. Last year of the rigid mount. Has 4 piston calipers that the '96 wouldn't and sealed bearings in the wheels.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2835214077.html
'01 Custom with chrome stuff. Asking $4400 - I'd probably go with the '03 over it for what you want to do since you're paying for the chrome stuff that you are going to take off anyway. Depends on what kind of shape I guess.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
That 03 looks pretty good. Athough I would have to wait until I can flip my VT800 I just bought before I could buy it (otherwise the wife might literally kill me).

Also yes I refuse to pay extra for chrome since its all getting stripped off and tossed in a box. One of the reasons I will end up wrenching a bike together frame up then buying a factory one from HD. I would rather spend 10K on a stripped down, no frills EVO hard tail then 15K on a bunch of chrome and hardware I have to rip off.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ReelBigLizard posted:

Agreed. I'll happily spend a couple of hours busting my knuckles swapping tyres with levers and elbow grease than spend the (entirely reasonable) £25 to take it to a tyre place. But I also have some trust issues with the local mechanics; Saw a bike a while back where my ex-dealer hadn't torqued the front caliper bolts properly :stare:

I did that... on my own bike. Maybe I should start trusting mechanics?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I noticed the other day that there were five different "bagger" magazines and two "custom" Harley magazine out of about nine magazine total at the fancy demi-suburban grocery store.

Do these magazine stay in business? Can you make money writing for them?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

thylacine posted:

I noticed the other day that there were five different "bagger" magazines and two "custom" Harley magazine out of about nine magazine total at the fancy demi-suburban grocery store.

Do these magazine stay in business? Can you make money writing for them?

Some do, some don't. As for making money...lol no. You can make a few bucks freelancing but budgets for mags like that are shoestring at best. The full time dedicated staff is typically two people with a few others being shared with similar publications. At least that's how we do it (I forget the names of all the ones we own. I know Baggers is one of them.)

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
So, Babby's First Mod is going to be adding a 12v power adapter to my 2012 Night Rod Special.

Does Harley make something like this?

The only relevant thing I see on their website is this:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/...&bmLocale=en_US

Would I need some kind of aftermarket 12v cigarette lighter socket that plugs into this?

I'm sort of surprised this is even an issue...You'd think Harley would have a simple solution for people who want to run a GPS or radar detector or camera on their handlebar.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

CombatMedic posted:

Would I need some kind of aftermarket 12v cigarette lighter socket that plugs into this?

Harley has a cigarette lighter plug (91843-97), it's probably listed under Touring. You should be fine with an aftermarket one to save some money, but I'm pretty sure that official Harley one has the right clips on the end of it to make things a little easier. Your V-Rod's wiring harness probably doesn't have an open accessory plug though, which is what the adapter you found was for.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

Deeters posted:

Harley has a cigarette lighter plug (91843-97), it's probably listed under Touring. You should be fine with an aftermarket one to save some money, but I'm pretty sure that official Harley one has the right clips on the end of it to make things a little easier. Your V-Rod's wiring harness probably doesn't have an open accessory plug though, which is what the adapter you found was for.

Ah, perfect. The only thing that concerns me is that the wire length on both those would be pretty short. Do you know what kind of plug that is, if I needed to buy an extension?

Also "Laser-etched Bar and Shield Logo" on a Goddamn cigarette lighter. Oh H-D, you so crazy.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They're called Deutsch connectors. A dealership should have them if you want to try to splice your own wire, and I'd imagine you can find an extension somewhere. Or just buy the connector and put it on an aftermarket cigarette lighter plug.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I suck at phones, why can't I make pictures look right?

Bike rips real good. Took it for a lap around town after I got it home. Haven't heard the fan come on but it's cool out and the engine wasn't super hot when I parked it. Standard (tall) saddle is TALL. I was so tired of scraping board at like 15 degrees or whatever, being able to corner is so nice.

I could have rode out to get the bike, didn't really need the truck. It would definitely have been pretty cold though.

Today I learned that if you do a trade with no cash involved, you get out of title transfer taxes. Cool.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 12, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
So my dad has an '03 XL883R he half-heartedly wants to get rid of, and every now and again I toy with the idea of buying it from him. Then I think about pushing a 530lbs beast around and dealing with Harley shops for parts and I reconsider.

But then I see poo poo like this...

From here: http://www.bikebros.co.jp/vb/american/apc/hdpc-04/ Google translate is moderately useful.

This is loving beautiful. It's not even far from stock, it looks like it's just some bolt-ons and powdercoating. gently caress, I want it. I want it so bad.

For reference, here it is stock:

My dad's has a lower-profile solo seat, detachable windshield, and detachable sissy bar/luggage rack, but is otherwise totally stock (even the exhaust!).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would absolutely ROCK THE poo poo out of a tracker or scrambler converted sporty.

:swoon:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

So my dad has an '03 XL883R he half-heartedly wants to get rid of, and every now and again I toy with the idea of buying it from him. Then I think about pushing a 530lbs beast around and dealing with Harley shops for parts and I reconsider.

An 883 is no superbike but it's a fun little scoot and the R is probably the best trim package. In fact I have a friend who recently got a XL883R to go with his 2t Stella and he absolutely ADORES the Harley.

As far as parts go, order them online if you dislike Harley shops. Sound Harley up north of Seattle is actually not too bad, I like going in there. Seattle HD in Lynnwood, though, is terrible - they really vary shop to shop.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah for the 86-03 bikes, you can find so much stuff on Ebay. I've only bought one thing from an actual Harley shop since i've owned my bike and it was a clutch bearing.

The 883r it's one of the best looking sportsters in my opinion. It and the 1200s sportster sport (most retarded name ever)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

clutchpuck posted:

An 883 is no superbike but it's a fun little scoot and the R is probably the best trim package. In fact I have a friend who recently got a XL883R to go with his 2t Stella and he absolutely ADORES the Harley.

As far as parts go, order them online if you dislike Harley shops. Sound Harley up north of Seattle is actually not too bad, I like going in there. Seattle HD in Lynnwood, though, is terrible - they really vary shop to shop.

I've spent quite a few hours on the 883R, and I have enjoyed all of them. It's just so heavy and vibratey, I'm not sure it's what I'd want to spend a few grand on. But those pictures! gently caress!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Alright I took my buddies 06 dyna street bob home today (we are tabbing him a sissy bar and pegs). First off those twin cams are nice but anything less than 40 mph and that bitch vibrates like its going to shake itself apart. Otherwise nice bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Looks like the Buffalo Chip is nailing down mainstage performers for the Black Hills Rally right about now, I have "more than a feeling" that Boston is playing on the 7th.

So which of you goons are planning on making the trek this summer? I don't want to hear any "I don't like country music" or "I am too much of a sperg to leave my house", or "lol Hardleys aren't they uncomfortable"; those are little boys'/little girls' excuses. Ride your poo poo to Sturgis and gawk at middle-aged titties like a proper adult.

I'll be rolling in on the 6th mid-afternoon and getting out on the morning of the 8th. Plan is to see Mt. Rushmore, drink beers at One Eyed Jack's, hang out at the Full Throttle Saloon, and see Boston at the 'Chip.

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

Yarrrr! I be here to plunder the fun outta me workplace! Avast!

FREE DECAHEDRON!
I just picked up this '78 Sportster over the weekend. I don't care if it's a girl bike, I love it :swoon:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That looks like fun but the handlebars make my wrists weep.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

clutchpuck posted:

Looks like the Buffalo Chip is nailing down mainstage performers for the Black Hills Rally right about now, I have "more than a feeling" that Boston is playing on the 7th.

So which of you goons are planning on making the trek this summer? I don't want to hear any "I don't like country music" or "I am too much of a sperg to leave my house", or "lol Hardleys aren't they uncomfortable"; those are little boys'/little girls' excuses. Ride your poo poo to Sturgis and gawk at middle-aged titties like a proper adult.

I'll be rolling in on the 6th mid-afternoon and getting out on the morning of the 8th. Plan is to see Mt. Rushmore, drink beers at One Eyed Jack's, hang out at the Full Throttle Saloon, and see Boston at the 'Chip.

More like :gonk: at middle aged titties.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Is that an excuse?

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

IcedPee posted:

I just picked up this '78 Sportster over the weekend. I don't care if it's a girl bike, I love it :swoon:

That looks drat good... Sportsters are great bikes, even if they are HD.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

IcedPee posted:

Nice bike, but two questions:

1) is there no rear brake rotor?
2) are there no rear wheel adjusters on the swingarm?

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

FREE DECAHEDRON!

clutchpuck posted:

That looks like fun but the handlebars make my wrists weep.

I'm not a fan either. Dude I bought it from gave me a different bar that I'll be mounting at my earliest convenience.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Nice bike, but two questions:

1) is there no rear brake rotor?
2) are there no rear wheel adjusters on the swingarm?

1) No. It's a drum on the rear. Looks like this one.
2) The rear axle mounts in what appears to be a slot. I'm guessing you loosen the lugs, adjust, then tighten down.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Just made my annual large purchase at J&P Cycles. New ignition, front brake rebuild, and some seal replacements coming up this weekend or next week sometime.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

This is loving beautiful. It's not even far from stock, it looks like it's just some bolt-ons and powdercoating. gently caress, I want it. I want it so bad.

Clutchpuck is right, the now out-of-production Roadster variant was a great setup that fell out of favor with the advent of the slammed rear end and all the form over function choices that accompanied it. Next to the ground clearance and tachometer, I am probably most envious of the seat they shipped with these, as it was unavailable on any other model.

As far as online parts go, Zanotti was unbeatable pricewise, but they shut their doors at the end of last year--I've read a rumor HD is getting into the online spares business themselves, so goodbye discounts. Fear not. You wouldn't need them for consumables--black and chrome Frams can be found at any Wal-Mart, fluids are fluids, the exception being maybe their branded Sport Trans fluid. You may be stuck with them for batteries--they do a pretty good job of squashing the aftermarket in this case.

In terms of hard parts, I have had to replace exactly ONE component in six years, and the computer threw an error code telling me what it was.

IcedPee posted:

Great find. It's like getting the new '72 without signing your life away, and while the bars look like a carpal tunnel nightmare, at least they're not apes. Congrats, it's a beauty.

Could the Sporty be nipping at the heels of the SV as CA hivemind weapon of choice? I demand a recount :)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

Could the Sporty be nipping at the heels of the SV as CA hivemind weapon of choice? I demand a recount :)

IcedPee
Jan 11, 2008

FREE DECAHEDRON!
So, I'm starting to learn that just because a part came off a sportster the same year as yours doesn't mean it's the same part.

I had the kickstand snap on my bike when I had it on the trailer (it was tied down well enough that nothing else was damaged) so I ordered a new one from a parted out sportster of the same year. Lo and behold, it isn't the peg-and-screw style kickstand that mine had and it's also much longer, meaning I need a different spring. Assuming I can get a peg and cotter pin that will work and a longer spring at the hardware store, there's no guarantee that it will even keep the bike up.

FFFFFFFFFF.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

IcedPee posted:

So, I'm starting to learn that just because a part came off a sportster the same year as yours doesn't mean it's the same part.

I had the kickstand snap on my bike when I had it on the trailer (it was tied down well enough that nothing else was damaged) so I ordered a new one from a parted out sportster of the same year. Lo and behold, it isn't the peg-and-screw style kickstand that mine had and it's also much longer, meaning I need a different spring. Assuming I can get a peg and cotter pin that will work and a longer spring at the hardware store, there's no guarantee that it will even keep the bike up.

FFFFFFFFFF.

Sounds like my experience with the sissy bar I got my '83.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
http://www.bulova.com/en_us/watch/harley-davidson?collection_id=871

Aw yeah.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread