Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
There is no issue with customs, I happily pay the 25% for US not being a free trade country - the problem is that Amazon puts on a premium if you're a foreigner...

On the other hand - still cheap as dirt, and why should I bother so much.

Seen in the light of me spending well above USD 800 a year on books I don't want to risk losing them at some point in the future - meaning that I do not want to cheat amazon. (Which reminds me that I have to get USD 150 reimbursed by work that I completely forgot about).

Stupid amazon stuff (it was that or a penis mushroom)

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Tried a new Sichuan joint last night. Just me and the lady, none of our Asian (or Asian looking) friends, so we stood out more than usual. Ordering went like this:

Me: We'll have -
Waitress: Number nine.
Me: ... Actually yeah, dan dan noodles, number nine, and we'll also -
Waitress: Number 24.
Me: Uh, no, we'll have -
Waitress: Number 28.
Me: Yeah, chongking chicken.
Waitress: [gone]

I guess we order the same as other white folks who go in there.

Ten minutes later, we realize: she didn't ask us how spicy we wanted it! Sure enough, the food comes, and it's babby's first sichuan food level of spicy.

I was annoyed at first, but it turned out pretty good that way. I really got to experience the numb tongue from the Sichuan peppercorns - usually, the spiciness makes it so that I don't know what's going on in my mouth. And there was still enough heat to get a little bit of a sweat going by the end.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

mindphlux posted:

jus gonna bump dis lil question ~_~

Go to Salumeria Italiana in the North End (151 Richmond Street, but really it's just sort of a twisty alley off Hanover). It's the size of a generous walk-in closet and occasionally full of tour groups. Ignore these people and ignore the canned goods and cookies and coffee. You can get that at home. Go to the deli, go to the cheese counter, buy a loaf of bread that is usually still hot from the oven. (This bread will not make it back to the hotel with you. It will probably not even make it back to the T. This is okay. This is not a place of judgement.) Every single employee knows and loves what they are selling.

Go to Hing Shing Bakery in Chinatown (67 Beach Street, or, almost directly inside the dragon gate.) It is small. It looks questionable. The lady behind the counter will be short with you. Everything is super cheap. I recommend the almond cookies, egg custard buns, Dai Bao (I think they just call it "big bun" on the signs, though), and red bean donuts. Everything is less than $2, most things are less than $1. All the curry buns freeze beautifully.

I would personally skip Haymarket unless you are going to be in town and ready to shop around dawn. By eight a.m. you're left with the bits that didn't pass muster with the professionals. It won't be impressive. If you do choose to shop here, pay attention to what's going into the bag- if you want the healthy looking produce in the front, either pick it up yourself or watch the clerk, because they will -always- try to slip the crap from the back in if you aren't alert. I don't blame them. It's a fun game we play here in New England called "misanthropopoly".

Dino is -wrong- about hating Boston, but he is right about the accents.

Sweet Custom Van fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 19, 2012

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

That was a good post, I've never been and probably never will be to Boston, but I could picture it from how you put it. The reason I actually responded though is to say that Dino is a dude, why do people always think he's a girl?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Heteronormativity is a real bitch.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Pester posted:

That was a good post, I've never been and probably never will be to Boston, but I could picture it from how you put it. The reason I actually responded though is to say that Dino is a dude, why do people always think he's a girl?

I... I do not know why I thought dino was a girl. I am very sorry. I will fix.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Pester posted:

Because he posts frequently about his husband and people assume a person with a husband is female.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Note to all GWS regulars that aren't actually women: if I sent you a PM titled `My dilznick [56k warning]', I sent that by mistake and it was only a joke anyway. Please forward to your Mom.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why haven't I ever gotten one of those then Sub? Well, other than I don't have PMs.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
XD It's the Internet, and I don't have an avatar or any other indication as to what my sex is. Honest mistakes happen, eh? I enjoyed my trip to Haymarket (or should I say, hay-mahket), because it really was a lot of fun to wander around, and see that level of wheeling and dealing of produce, and people watching is primo. Sweet Custom Van is freaking not joking about the watch what's going into your bag thing. Keep a hawk's eye on everything, so that the vendor doesn't try to sneak poo poo past you.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

dino. posted:

XD It's the Internet, and I don't have an avatar or any other indication as to what my sex is. Honest mistakes happen, eh? I enjoyed my trip to Haymarket (or should I say, hay-mahket), because it really was a lot of fun to wander around, and see that level of wheeling and dealing of produce, and people watching is primo. Sweet Custom Van is freaking not joking about the watch what's going into your bag thing. Keep a hawk's eye on everything, so that the vendor doesn't try to sneak poo poo past you.

Thank you, dino.

There is great people watching at Haymarket- I once saw a grown-rear end man assault another grown-rear end man -with a very large cod-. He picked up the fish, three fingers hooked in under the head, and just started hitting him with it. Slapping, really. There was a conversation taking place in what I believe was Italian, but it didn't seem to be an argument... it was weirdly relaxed and chill, except for the fact that one man was slapping another about the face with a dead fish.

I loving love this city forever.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Sweet Custom Van posted:

I loving love this city forever.

Meh, I like Boston from a distance. I live in the burbs.

mindphlux posted:

I'm going to boston in a couple months. is there like one place I shouldn't miss? or anyone doing anything crazy on the high end? I'll be downtown.

Haymarket is worth it for the sights, and yeah, very masshole. Crazy vegan girl scores good veggies cheap there. You've got to haggle! (and elbow your way to front of the line)

Most of the restaurants I could recommend are dumps, like Fasika. Great food, but cheap, and you asked for "crazy on the high end".

Well, that's a little tougher... The only expensive place I've been to in Boston more then a few times is https://www.craigieonmain.com I've also heard rumor that Cragie serves an entire pig head... I've always wanted to try that. At the bar, they also sell a $20 burger that is worth every penny.

Wanna split a pig head with me?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

Wanna split a pig head with me?

whoah yes i am down for splitting a pigs head with u :lron:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ok here's a pretty annoying problem with me and pasta.

a. I can't ever make filled pasta look pretty {but that's a problem with me}

b. fresh pasta always toughens up on me after I cook it! like, if I make udon or sheets of egg pasta for ravioli or whatever, I'll be sitting there cooking it for a few minutes and taste it while its hot, and it's pretty good and al dente, etc. but when I drain it, or run it under cold water to stop cooking, it always loving freezes up and gets dense as hell and generally unpleasant. this happens no matter what thickness the dough is. it's not as bad if I don't run the pasta under cold water, but it's still noticeable, and nothing like the more superb fresh pastas I've had at whatever restaurant. I've tried all the recipes I can find - the udon one comes out of my coveted japanese cookbook where every recipe is gold, I've tried batali's pasta dough, the one out of keller's laundry cookbook, food & wine, cooks illustrated, jamie oliver, etc etc. one of those has to be right.

maybe I'm just not rolling it thin enough, but with udon or whatever its not even supposed to be thin, so...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

Why haven't I ever gotten one of those then Sub? Well, other than I don't have PMs.
Because I'm human, sorry. So I sent your copy to mindphlux.

*quickly PMs pic of BBC to mindphlux despite being a white guy*
*claims it looks that way because of the camera and it was pinker irl*

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011
mindphlux, may I know the identity of this most coveted japanese cookbook?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

He probably means Shimbo's The Japanese Kitchen. Or at least that's the one he recommended in the cookbook thread. I remember because ever since I ordered it, amazon's been recommending all kinds of weeaboo poo poo to me like anime buttplugs and pocky.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mindphlux posted:

whoah yes i am down for splitting a pigs head with u :lron:

YAY! Turns out it's actually only half a head, but still enough for two people.

http://peckthebeak.com/2011/03/craigie-on-main-pigs-head-for-two/
http://www.thehightea.com/boston/543

Maybe I can get The Beet to come take pictures, she loves that place.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

He probably means Shimbo's The Japanese Kitchen. Or at least that's the one he recommended in the cookbook thread. I remember because ever since I ordered it, amazon's been recommending all kinds of weeaboo poo poo to me like anime buttplugs and pocky.

Right, and I suppose it was just because of that cookbook. Nice try. Do they make pocky buttplugs?

That reminds me! I tried to replicate Japanese spinach with sweet sesame dressing (gomaae?), going just by gut feel. I used tahini, sugar, mirin, and a dash of soy, and it was loving awesome. Better than I've had in many restaurants.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Tahini? No way dude, you need crushed sesame seeds for goma-ae. Your version is completely inauthentic and bogus. (Gonna go try it now, that would kick the hell out of sitting around like an idiot with my mini mortar and pestle.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Macaroni posted:

Tahini? No way dude, you need crushed sesame seeds for goma-ae. Your version is completely inauthentic and bogus. (Gonna go try it now, that would kick the hell out of sitting around like an idiot with my mini mortar and pestle.)

What, pray tell, is tahini if not crushed sesame seeds? I was very proud of myself.

Actually, yesterday I was proud of myself too. For lunch I made zuppa di pasta e fagioli with rosemary and sage foccacia and garlic-butter cavalo nero (blanch cavalo nero, drain, then fry with butter and garlic). So when it came round to dinner, I cooked some beaten eggs with the left-over cavalo nero and some grated cheese, and served that atop some toasted foccacia, and it was good.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mindphlux posted:

ok here's a pretty annoying problem with me and pasta.

a. I can't ever make filled pasta look pretty {but that's a problem with me}

b. fresh pasta always toughens up on me after I cook it!

how long are you trying to store cooked fresh pasta and why? I have never actually tried to store fresh pasta after cooking it, usually I store the uncooked pasta in a single floured layer in between sheets of parchment and cook it to serve.

also I have found that one of the secrets to non-ugly raviolos is to make sure that the top is securely on the bottom (and sealed with egg wash) and tight around the filling, otherwise you get weird wrinkles and bubbles. also as thin as you can get the pasta without breaking it all the drat time

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 20, 2012

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Wanted to throw a thanks to Wiggles for direction on the baque stew, it turned out great, squid, cod, shrimp and scallops in a spicy paprika-tomato broth. Sooooo good.

Also big thanks to gravity for the chinese cleaver I got for secret santa. It owns owns owns, I like it better than my chef knife, I made the whole meal using only that cleaver!

Veggie Melange did call me out on having a table that had only whiskey, weed, and tums on it. Pretty funny.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Halalelujah posted:

Veggie Melange did call me out on having a table that had only whiskey, weed, and tums on it. Pretty funny.
Oh to be young...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Yep, that's the one! This was one of the first cookbooks I ever bought when I was like 15, and I'm so glad I did. It's well written and explains a lot of core concepts behind japanese cuisine, as well as context of recipes and nice illustrations of some techniques that could otherwise be a little confusing for most home cooks.

It sort of stuck the notion of what a good cookbook should be in my head early on - IE, not just a collection of recipes. Now, whenever I am looking for a cookbook on a certain cuisine, I look to see how much of the book is explaining history, context, and techniques - and if it's less than 25%, I pretty much just put the book back on the shelf.

pile of brown posted:

how long are you trying to store cooked fresh pasta and why? I have never actually tried to store fresh pasta after cooking it, usually I store the uncooked pasta in a single floured layer in between sheets of parchment and cook it to serve.

I'm not trying to store cooked fresh pasta? are you asking why I rinse it under cool water? if so, I guess I just read somewhere that it was good to stop the cooking process, even if you were immediately serving - but I've also stopped doing that because it makes the pasta so goddamn dense and chewy.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 20, 2012

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Halalelujah posted:

Wanted to throw a thanks to Wiggles for direction on the baque stew, it turned out great, squid, cod, shrimp and scallops in a spicy paprika-tomato broth. Sooooo good.

Good, good. Basque food is good stuff.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

mindphlux posted:

I'm not trying to store cooked fresh pasta? are you asking why I rinse it under cool water? if so, I guess I just read somewhere that it was good to stop the cooking process, even if you were immediately serving - but I've also stopped doing that because it makes the pasta so goddamn dense and chewy.

Don't do this!

Yes - I know you've stopped it.. but...

This is also the worst advice I've ever received about pasta (that and 'remember to pour oliveoil over it before serving, or melt butter in it, so you make drat sure that the delicious sauce that you prepared will not stick to it').

Based on that advice my heart was filled with sadness, and I had to eliminate precious friends from my inner circle.

I have a hard time comming across with how bad that advice was...

This is advice that ranks up there with "Cook chicken to pink", "You can use the same board for everything" - this is advice that resembles the state of Rambling Vagrants kitchen when we first saw it.. This is really really bad advice!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 20, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Rinsing off pasta is fine if you're eating it cream-based sauces or olive oil and vegetables, etc. It's terrible if you're eating it with tomato-based sauces, though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

what? Never rinse a pasta.

Halalelujah posted:

Also big thanks to gravity for the chinese cleaver I got for secret santa. It owns owns owns, I like it better than my chef knife, I made the whole meal using only that cleaver!

Awesome, I'm glad you like it!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Good, good. Basque food is good stuff.

Thems poo poo was delicious, I have to hand it to Halal, he cooks some mean squid

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Sjurygg I still can't get over the fact that you put leverpostej in your lasagna ragú, I'm gonna have to try that.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I got one of those Zoku popsicle makers at a thrift store, and oh man. I'll use this thing all the time. Totally worth the eight bucks I spent on it.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I'm in the market for an enamelled cast iron dutch oven. Amazon has the lodge 6 quart bad-boy for $50. The 7.5 quart one is $75. Is it worth the extra $25 for the added capacity, or will 6qt do the trick for most applications?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
How many people you cooking for, Phummus? Only times I regret not having colossal pots are the 2-3 times a year we have big family gatherings. But then I get over my regret by making two batches in smaller pots a couple days in advance.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I cook for a family of 4. If we have company I cook for as many as 8.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

I cook for a family of 4. If we have company I cook for as many as 8.

I think you know the answer. Why you need validation from a group of strange people on the internet is a matter for you and your therapist. (Mind you, you've probably got bigger fish to fry).

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Phummus posted:

I'm in the market for an enamelled cast iron dutch oven. Amazon has the lodge 6 quart bad-boy for $50. The 7.5 quart one is $75. Is it worth the extra $25 for the added capacity, or will 6qt do the trick for most applications?

Look for Old Mountain brand as well. I got my enormous dutch oven from them for $35.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

therattle posted:

I think you know the answer. Why you need validation from a group of strange people on the internet is a matter for you and your therapist. (Mind you, you've probably got bigger fish to fry).

Validate meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Phummus posted:

Where are you parked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

By the way, it's a good thing I'm not projecting at all!