Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I'd say play DDS1-2 since they're the most accessible and it has the press turn system so when you do play Nocturne you'll know what to do instead of getting slaughtered immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom
Woah hey, what's this? A youtube user named AtlusxP5? With what looks like Persona 5 soundtrack? :hawaaaafap:

Spoilers obviously: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATLUSxP5

Edit: I suck at googling things, and I'm too hopeful for a new Persona. gently caress me. :smithicide:

appletonoutcast fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 21, 2012

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

appletonoutcast posted:

Woah hey, what's this? A youtube user named AtlusxP5? With what looks like Persona 5 soundtrack? :hawaaaafap:

Spoilers obviously: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATLUSxP5

You probably should have read the last two pages to save yourself some embarrassment.

appletonoutcast
May 31, 2007

Om nom nom nom nom nom

Justice posted:

You probably should have read the last two pages to save yourself some embarrassment.

See, I checked the post history of this thread going back to when the earliest song was uploaded and saw nothing. Then I searched and saw he pulled everything and reuploaded. So yea, go me!

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

appletonoutcast posted:

See, I checked the post history of this thread going back to when the earliest song was uploaded and saw nothing. Then I searched and saw he pulled everything and reuploaded. So yea, go me!

Atlus Co. and Atlus USA will never have to make a separate youtube account in order to upload things. Also, neither one will ever upload a game's soundtrack before the game is even formally announced! Just a heads up.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Looks like whoever it is uploaded a bunch of new tracks as well. At this point i really wish it would actually be the real soundtrack, because it really grows on me fast.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Are there any particular demons that I should be trying to fuse for my party in Overclocked? I seem to remember people saying Thor was a good one to have.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tyrants! Tyrants are the best. The highest level Tyrant and Megami demons available at any given time were always mainstays in my party. The really high end Divine and Kishin demons were also immensely useful.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Flight demons are also godsends for getting around maps, even if the actual demons themselves aren't the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Are there any particular demons that I should be trying to fuse for my party in Overclocked? I seem to remember people saying Thor was a good one to have.

You want to keep a reasonably leveled Flight or Phantasm type around. Preferable multiple ones. This makes several missions significantly easier because you can just skip obstacles. Devil Speed is also good but lesser.

Tyrant-class demons are, almost universally, really god damned good. They just are also almost universally Unique so you can't keep them forever.

Anything that has Holy Dance or Drain is worth raising if just for fusion fodder.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Don't play Nocturne, it's not really that great. Get DDS and DDS2

Marogareh posted:

I'd say play DDS1-2 since they're the most accessible

Strange Matter posted:

I'd suggest playing Digital Devil Saga before Nocturne.

Man, now I'm feeling weird for thinking Nocturne is a much better game. From what I remember, DDS is a frustrating piece of poo poo that feels like I'm constantly getting screwed over by the RNG.

For anyone new to the mainline megatons, I'd suggest Strange Journey or Nocturne. Both are fantastic, but I'd probably lean towards SJ. Just because it has grids and its on the DS (I adore rpgs on my portables).

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

vkeios posted:

Man, now I'm feeling weird for thinking Nocturne is a much better game. From what I remember, DDS is a frustrating piece of poo poo that feels like I'm constantly getting screwed over by the RNG.

For anyone new to the mainline megatons, I'd suggest Strange Journey or Nocturne. Both are fantastic, but I'd probably lean towards SJ. Just because it has grids and its on the DS (I adore rpgs on my portables).

DDS is a lot easier regardless though, I never died as much in DDS as I did in Nocturne. Though I agree that Nocturne is a superior game, I liked DDS's story better because of how loving bananas it is.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

vkeios posted:

If it's better, doesn't it make more sense to let them build up to it? :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

CharismaticHorsey posted:

All right, goons, I need your help. I'm a… "mainstream" Altus fan and have only played Persona 3 and 4. If I want to get into the rest of series, what game should I try next? I have a PS2, PS3, and a 3DS.

One important thing to consider: are you sick of fusing demons yet? If you are, you may want to go with DDS, which lacks it entirely (you are the demons), or Devil Survivor where you still fuse demons but can choose your skills to transfer. On the other hand, Devil Summoner, Strange Journey and Nocturne have much the same fusion system as the recent Personas.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Personally I would say to play Nocturne, mostly because I played it before DDS 1 and found it to be overall more enjoyable. This probably makes me sound weird but I think DDS gets nastier earlier, every boss I fought in that was a case of 'hope you took this specific resistance!' whereas Nocturne at least held off on that until a little later on, from what I remember. And hey, if your guys are getting weak you can at least ditch them in favour of stronger ones.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
It's much easier to brute force you way through the game in DDS though, since there's no fusion and you have full control over what skills everyone learns. Especially if you obsessively grind like I did. In any other game the amount of grinding I did would be inexcusable, but DDS's gameplay is so good that I barely even noticed.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So, is Persona 5 going to be Persona 4 without the high school and television? Because I would like that.

Also, which SMT game are on PSN or PS3?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

uncleKitchener posted:

So, is Persona 5 going to be Persona 4 without the high school and television? Because I would like that.

No one knows what Persona 5 is going to be like. I wouldn't hold my breath for a non-highschool setting, but it will probably not involve the TV world.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

I doubt they'll try something new at this point with the Persona series, considering how well P3 and P4 did.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

BurningCourage posted:

Personally I would say to play Nocturne, mostly because I played it before DDS 1 and found it to be overall more enjoyable. This probably makes me sound weird but I think DDS gets nastier earlier, every boss I fought in that was a case of 'hope you took this specific resistance!' whereas Nocturne at least held off on that until a little later on, from what I remember. And hey, if your guys are getting weak you can at least ditch them in favour of stronger ones.

Matador fucks your life over a lot quicker than any boss in DDS does.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DDS1 is a lot easier / more manageable than Nocturne, but I still overall found Nocturne more enjoyable.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, which SMT game are on PSN or PS3?

None of them. DDS1/2 are supposedly coming out on the EU PSN store soon, and Persona 1, P2: Innocent Sin, and P3P are all up for the PSP, but you can't play them on a PS3.

Artix fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 21, 2012

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Honestly I had more trouble with Dante than with Matador. Before Matador you should be able to buy the Hifumi magatama which nulls force. Also, you should be spamming Fog Breath and Bright or Dark Might on as many demons as possible which should help with any boss fight.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

It's pretty obvious that P5 is going to be just like P3 and P4 in pretty much every way, because Atlus realized that they could make money WITHOUT coming up with new ideas.

Unless they just decide to drop the dungeon crawling and make it a full-on dating sim, which honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point. :v:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Azure_Horizon posted:

If you have no idea what you're doing in JRPG's in general, then yes Matador would be tough for you. For those of us who know how to beat a game like Nocturne thats difficulty lies in surprise attacks, instant deaths and enemies abusing the press turn abilities, then it's not nearly as hard. Megaten games in general are not that hard, aside from maybe Demi-Fiend in DDS who's hard no matter how strong you are.

EDIT: I'm not the kind of guy trying to sound like I'm top poo poo at JRPG's or something, but Nocturne is highly overrated in how difficult the game actually is. Matador is not nearly as tough as he is made out to be, you can easily beat more than 3/4's of the bosses in the game with just genuine strategy, even bosses like Noah (Who have bullshit gimmicks) aren't that tough as long as you have some semblance of strategy. I should know, because the first time I played Nocturne, I never lost to a boss more than two times unless it was to Trumpeter and as I said... bullshit gimmicks.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 21, 2012

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
With the way that Catherine was tied in via cameo into P3P, it wouldn't surprise me if Persona 5 goes down a similar route as that game. Not necessarily the puzzle game bits, but dealing in a more adult setting than the last two Persona games.

It probably will not happen but if it did it would make perfect sense.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Strange Matter posted:

With the way that Catherine was tied in via cameo into P3P, it wouldn't surprise me if Persona 5 goes down a similar route as that game. Not necessarily the puzzle game bits, but dealing in a more adult setting than the last two Persona games.

It probably will not happen but if it did it would make perfect sense.

So what you're saying is that it would also make perfect sense if it did not happen.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Justice posted:

So what you're saying is that it would also make perfect sense if it did not happen.
...Yes.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I just want a Persona game with a cast over 20 again. But alas teenagers saving the world is a religion in Japan.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Welp we are getting the P4 fighting game.
I really hope they announce The Golden...

http://atlus.com/p4arena/

E: From here if you are curious: http://twitter.com/!/atlususa

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 21, 2012

maketakunai
Jan 11, 2006

What do you mean,
"it's only a game"?!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Welp we are getting the P4 fighting game.
I really hope they announce The Golden...

http://atlus.com/p4arena/

E: From here if you are curious: http://twitter.com/!/atlususa

Yeah, they just sent out the mail for it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Really? "Arena" was the best they could do? Not "Ultimate Midnight Arena" or something like that?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
That abbreviation will just make things confusing too. It's the same one the anime is using.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I have the PS2 version of Persona 4 but I wanted to wait for the Vita port to play through that instead. I don't want this game (or the anime) to spoil it for me. :(

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
"New Console-Exclusive Story and Online Modes"?

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

"New Console-Exclusive Story and Online Modes"?

Japan's getting the game in arcades. Now, I don't know why they'd highlight the arcade and console differences for the US ad though.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd guess that the people who would actually register for an Atlus online newsletter would be the people who would also be very familiar with what Atlus is doing overseas. So for their benefit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

vkeios posted:

Japan's getting the game in arcades. Now, I don't know why they'd highlight the arcade and console differences for the US ad though.

I thought it meant there'd be some platform exclusive stuff (PS3 versus 360), but your explanation makes much more sense.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm wondering if P4: The Golden will even come out for the US. If the Vita sales are as low here as in Japan, there may not be much of a market for it. I'd love to see Persona on the 3DS, but that's probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Also, the P4 Arena US localization could put the console story on one system while putting the arcade story on the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dehry posted:

Also, the P4 Arena US localization could put the console story on one system while putting the arcade story on the other.

That doesn't even begin to make sense.

Anyways, I'm expecting them to do something akin to what BB does, which makes sense considering they're both done by ASW and the system mechanics are mostly similar. A separate story mode with routes for each character, and the regular arcade stuff, with about three lines of dialogue.