Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, so in my newbie testing...

My hario coffee came out a little thinner and a little harsher than in the CCD. I have a blade grinder and I could see that there was a mix of coarse bits and fine powder. I'm guessing the CCD is a lot more forgiving of sloppy grinds. Yes/no?

At any rate, time to buy a burr grinder...

Hario is a bit of a mine field. It can make really good coffee, but the problem is that it drains so fast that pouring technique matters a lot, in addition to the other stuff.

I fully support your decision to buy a burr grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Has anyone tried out this kettle for using with pour overs? http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV3825B-1-Liter-Electric-Kettle/dp/B005YR0GDA/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 it seems to have the same spout style that makes the buono so great, but you're not paying $50 for a non-electric, thin-sided kettle.

I just got one a few days and am really happy with it so far. It heats up fast and is solidly built. Pours nicely as well, but I don't have too much to compare it to.

I originally tried to save a few bucks and bought this thing straight out of China: http://www.homeloo.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=562 Don't even bother. It's made like absolute garbage. The solder joints look like poo poo and are discolored. The quality control is terrible to -- there are a few dents that happened before shipping. The main reason I replaced it after a few days was because I genuinely fear I will get lead poisoning from it.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I've been looking into brewing at the office, but the hot water source only gets to 190 when pouring out. Is that too low to bother with?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

I've been looking into brewing at the office, but the hot water source only gets to 190 when pouring out. Is that too low to bother with?

There's probably a mini potentiometer that controls the temp, pop the back open and mess with it. :science:

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

195 to 205 is supposed to be ideal, but 190 will work fine. You could put it in the microwave for a few seconds if you really need to be persnickety about it.

Progressless
Apr 10, 2010
Has anyone here successfully gotten the slightest amount of crema from a moka pot? I know it technically isn't espresso due to the difference in pressure when brewing but I'm wondering if it is at all possible to produce some in one.

I'm using a Bialetti Moka Express, for reference.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I use a moka pot to brew most of my coffee, and i do get crema. It doesnt generally hold up to being poured into a cup but the crema is there when it comes out of the little spout.

Progressless
Apr 10, 2010

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

I use a moka pot to brew most of my coffee, and i do get crema. It doesnt generally hold up to being poured into a cup but the crema is there when it comes out of the little spout.

What brand moka pot do you use? Also how finely grinded are your beans? Do enlighten me on the proper method to get that drat crema to appear.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

Progressless posted:

Has anyone here successfully gotten the slightest amount of crema from a moka pot? I know it technically isn't espresso due to the difference in pressure when brewing but I'm wondering if it is at all possible to produce some in one.

I'm using a Bialetti Moka Express, for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCDE6m-nwek

Shorter version - the key to crema is:

-Natural processed coffee
-Don't use a dark roast
-Use soon after roasting but allow a few days for outgassing

This is for espresso machines but I assume the same rules would apply for a Moka Pot.

magnetic
Jun 21, 2005

kiteless, master, teach me.
I had all but given up on great coffee then I moved back to Belligham, and found a great little coffee place.

Since I found this place I have tasted far and away the best coffees of my life. What great is the variety and menu changes daily, the are expensive.

In recent tastings, the Esmerelda from Stumptown is one of the more elegant coffees I have had. Heart roasters are doing amazing things as well if you get a chance check them out.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

magnetic posted:

I had all but given up on great coffee then I moved back to Belligham, and found a great little coffee place.

Since I found this place I have tasted far and away the best coffees of my life. What great is the variety and menu changes daily, the are expensive.

In recent tastings, the Esmerelda from Stumptown is one of the more elegant coffees I have had. Heart roasters are doing amazing things as well if you get a chance check them out.

Onyx Coffee Bar? Gotta be Onyx. Such a cool space!

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

Progressless posted:

What brand moka pot do you use? Also how finely grinded are your beans? Do enlighten me on the proper method to get that drat crema to appear.

Honestly I couldnt tell you the brand of the pot. It came from Central Market, I think it cost me about $20. I typically grind the beans to a fineness between that of a paper filter and an espresso, which comes about to be about 1-2 mm in diameter. I boil the water in a different pan first, then pour the hot water in to the bottom of the moka pot then put the pot together and place it on my stove top which is at medium heat. I'm not sure if all that is necessary, but its what I do. The beans I get have been roasted in the past week.

I should also mention its no where near the amount of crema you get from a real espresso machine, its just a little bit of foam.

SweetJuicyTaco fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 20, 2012

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I had Trader Joe's Sumatra Blend.

I'm never drinking coffee again. That poo poo gave me a stomach ache all day and a wicked bad withdrawal headache even into the next day.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

*pops into the Beer thread*

I JUST DRANK A 40 OF OLDE ENGLISH gently caress BEER THIS SUCKS

Progressless
Apr 10, 2010

SweetJuicyTaco posted:

Honestly I couldnt tell you the brand of the pot. It came from Central Market, I think it cost me about $20. I typically grind the beans to a fineness between that of a paper filter and an espresso, which comes about to be about 1-2 mm in diameter. I boil the water in a different pan first, then pour the hot water in to the bottom of the moka pot then put the pot together and place it on my stove top which is at medium heat. I'm not sure if all that is necessary, but its what I do. The beans I get have been roasted in the past week.

I should also mention its no where near the amount of crema you get from a real espresso machine, its just a little bit of foam.

Boiling the water first, that's new. I'll try that and see if it produces different results for me, thanks!

do you feel me
Jan 5, 2012
What is the best coffee i can order from starbucks?

Forumpost
Jan 17, 2012
Just recently bought a Bonavita BV1800TH. I was looking at buying a permanent filter for it, a goldtone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007E7LT/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Any reason why I should stick to paper filters, or are there better paper filters to look for? For some reason I always notice that slight papery taste and it bothers me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Forumpost posted:

Just recently bought a Bonavita BV1800TH. I was looking at buying a permanent filter for it, a goldtone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007E7LT/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

Any reason why I should stick to paper filters, or are there better paper filters to look for? For some reason I always notice that slight papery taste and it bothers me.

rinse the filter before using, a lot of what you're tasting is just paper dust on the surface of the filter from manufacturing that gets washed into the cup, rinsing the filter removes a lot of this. Gold tone filters negate the biggest strength of drip coffee and that is the clean cup. They also get gross over time because the holes get clogged with the fines and eventually start getting stale coffee taste going into the cup. Stick to paper.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

do you feel me posted:

Can you get their reserve coffees? If not I'd go for the Sumatra. It's not saying much, but I like it more than the Christmas Blend or Colombia medium roast. I'd go for the French Roast after the Sumatra.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

do you feel me posted:

I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this in the thread, but the Pikes Place actually makes a really really good french press. Yes their roasted to hell and super oily, but done in a french press it really has a nice kick to it, brilliant for an afternoon when you're super tired.

I do order most of my beans from HasBean, honest!....I'll just go stand in the corner now....

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Lord Dekks posted:

I'm probably going to get crucified for saying this in the thread, but the Pikes Place actually makes a really really good french press. Yes their roasted to hell and super oily, but done in a french press it really has a nice kick to it, brilliant for an afternoon when you're super tired.

I do order most of my beans from HasBean, honest!....I'll just go stand in the corner now....

You'd get more of a kick from a lighter roasted coffee. The most caffeine you're going to get out of coffee is a city roast done in a french press.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

rockcity posted:

You'd get more of a kick from a lighter roasted coffee. The most caffeine you're going to get out of coffee is a city roast done in a french press.

I'm having the hardest time convincing my family that longer roasted beans is not what coffee should taste like, but they've been completely brainwashed by Starbucks :(

That said, their new Blonde roast is tolerable when I'm in a hurry to get to work.

script kitty
Jan 2, 2005

GOTTA GO CATTES
I did a search for it in this thread but found nothing. Does anyone have an opinion on the coffee sold at Deans Beans ?

I just ordered the Roadside Blend and Timor Atsabe. I know nothing of coffee but I'm itching to use my Kyocera grinder and french press in some actual GOOD coffee for once.

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

rockcity posted:

Nah its not so much the caffiene as just a very bold flavour with no subtley whatsoever, I didn't say it was the greatest coffee in the world, but if out of beans and waiting for more to be delivered its not a bad stop gap.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef

Progressless posted:

Boiling the water first, that's new. I'll try that and see if it produces different results for me, thanks!

Progressless, I made some coffee this afternoon at lunch time and took a picture of my typical Crema. This is after I took the pot off of the stove:

lags
Jan 3, 2004

How long ago was your coffee roasted?

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Well, I just get mine in bulk from the central market (whole foods type store in Tx) here in Fort Worth, but the coffee comes from Austin and is roasted on tuesdays and delivered on wednesday. I bought that coffee last night so I imagine its about a week old at this point.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
It's not worth obsessing over "crema" with a moka pot. At best with a pot with a pressure valve like the Brikka, you will get a bit of quickly collapsing bubbly foam. Moka pots don't produce anywhere near enough pressure to make crema in the espresso sense, and no amount of fiddling with variables will change that. Use freshly roasted, freshly ground coffee and enjoy it.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
Bob, I agree. That foam didnt survive the pour into my coffee cup. Somebody had asked about it so I just wanted to demonstrate thats what I got. I am planning on getting a real espresso machine eventually, I just can't justify a $1200 outlay right now when I can make decent coffee with the tools at hand.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Doh004 posted:

I'm having the hardest time convincing my family that longer roasted beans is not what coffee should taste like, but they've been completely brainwashed by Starbucks :(

That said, their new Blonde roast is tolerable when I'm in a hurry to get to work.

That's really the case for a lot of people. I know a lot of people who have just conditioned themselves into thinking that burnt bitter taste is what they like. Given drinking properly brewered, fresh roasted coffee for a week or so they'd probably change over, but sometimes it hard just giving them good coffee once because their palate has adapted to drinking charbroiled coffee remains. The people who drink it nearly daily are pretty much impossible to convert. My mom however likes starbucks coffee, but rarely gets it. I took her to a coffee roaster and had her try freshly roasted coffee and now she's hooked.

A lot of the people who are starbucks junkies are also not brewed coffee drinkers, they're "double shot, mocha latte with whipped cream" type of coffee drinkers, so getting them into drip coffee might be a challenge of its own anyway.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Going to be in Tacoma Washington next week, around the convention centre. Wanted to ask the Coffee thread since I've seen some Seattle people here if there are any good Coffee places near by I could go to while down there.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
SF Bay Area folks, can I just ask what in the gently caress is the deal with Philz? I'd never been into one, but I'd seen how popular the chain is online, so I finally dropped in to one over the weekend.

First, it seems like they only have blends. Their beans look roasted quite dark. It seems like most people are getting drip, but it's really unclear. I get up to the counter, tell the person working there that I'm looking to buy some beans from them and that I prefer light-medium roast African coffees, and ask for a recommendation. They recommend me their signature blend Tesoro, or something, but tell me they're out if it. It appears to be a dark roast. They ask me again what I like, and I tell them, and they recommend two other coffees they're out of that are their only African coffees, both blends and dark roasts, so I just tell them I'll come back later and try their signature blend.

Is Philz actually a good place for coffee, or is it just one of those places that's popular and not that great. The whole experience (selling Fedoras, cutesy names for things) reminded me of a tourist trap more than anything else. What am I missing? Should I go back and give them another try?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

AriTheDog posted:

SF Bay Area folks, can I just ask what in the gently caress is the deal with Philz? I'd never been into one, but I'd seen how popular the chain is online, so I finally dropped in to one over the weekend.

First, it seems like they only have blends. Their beans look roasted quite dark. It seems like most people are getting drip, but it's really unclear. I get up to the counter, tell the person working there that I'm looking to buy some beans from them and that I prefer light-medium roast African coffees, and ask for a recommendation. They recommend me their signature blend Tesoro, or something, but tell me they're out if it. It appears to be a dark roast. They ask me again what I like, and I tell them, and they recommend two other coffees they're out of that are their only African coffees, both blends and dark roasts, so I just tell them I'll come back later and try their signature blend.

Is Philz actually a good place for coffee, or is it just one of those places that's popular and not that great. The whole experience (selling Fedoras, cutesy names for things) reminded me of a tourist trap more than anything else. What am I missing? Should I go back and give them another try?

Philz has a list of coffees on their counter with the different roasts + flavors (some over-embellished) listed on it. THe names are cutesy but there're some great coffees on the list.

Most people there get the single-drip coffee. I'm not really sure why you thought that was unclear - they have these custom made drippers that they make their coffee out of.

I personally love what they call Ambrosia, which is a medium roast. Next time you're there, try out the Ambrosia, Tesora, and the Dancing Water. All are pretty solid cups of coffee.

Also, which Philz did you go to? The one in the Mission is probably their most original one with the most random stuff, the one near the ball park has the hottest coffee brewer girl, and then one on Van Ness is probably their smallest.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
I stopped in the Berkeley location. The only reason I was unclear on what they offered is because their menu is incredibly wordy and positioned in a place people crowd in front of. I'm sure I'll give them another chance at some point, but I guess I suspected something a little less heavily branded!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've gotten cups at their ball park location, by caltrain, a few times. Excellent.

Seems like a dumb place to buy beans though.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Going to be in Tacoma Washington next week, around the convention centre. Wanted to ask the Coffee thread since I've seen some Seattle people here if there are any good Coffee places near by I could go to while down there.
Well, the Northwest Barista Championship was just in the area. Maybe they had a reason for that? Unfortunately I don't know that area, but the tourney was hosted by Dillano's. Never heard of them, so I can't say anything.

I do know that that tourney had an after party at Milstead & Co. in Fremont, and they're great. If you don't mind the drive, go there.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

AriTheDog posted:

I stopped in the Berkeley location. The only reason I was unclear on what they offered is because their menu is incredibly wordy and positioned in a place people crowd in front of. I'm sure I'll give them another chance at some point, but I guess I suspected something a little less heavily branded!

Philz is awesome. I actually respect them a lot for doing their own thing and ignoring the single origin craze. All of the blends are good and some are really great. I'll second the Ambrosia recommendation and also suggest you try the Canopy of Heaven - it's a really lovely light roasted blend. I like it with just the tiniest touch of cream.

And for the record, I spent a long time as a Barista and pretty much only buy single origin stuff for my home needs. I still love Philz and tend to beeline for one every time I visit the bay, even before I hit blue bottle or ritual (who are also clearly unafraid of merchandising).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Whisker Biscuit posted:

Philz is awesome. I actually respect them a lot for doing their own thing and ignoring the single origin craze. All of the blends are good and some are really great. I'll second the Ambrosia recommendation and also suggest you try the Canopy of Heaven - it's a really lovely light roasted blend. I like it with just the tiniest touch of cream.

And for the record, I spent a long time as a Barista and pretty much only buy single origin stuff for my home needs. I still love Philz and tend to beeline for one every time I visit the bay, even before I hit blue bottle or ritual (who are also clearly unafraid of merchandising).

I'm definitely going to pick up a bag of Canopy when I head home today. I've also been curious about this blend, only because of the sheer expense associated:

http://www.philzcoffee.com/Online-Store/Specialty/Jamaican-Blue-Mountain

Also, has anyone ever tried the bean that is used after it passes through the digestive tract of an animal? (Can't remember what the bean or the animal even is)

Edit: Here it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

I'm definitely going to pick up a bag of Canopy when I head home today. I've also been curious about this blend, only because of the sheer expense associated:

http://www.philzcoffee.com/Online-Store/Specialty/Jamaican-Blue-Mountain

Also, has anyone ever tried the bean that is used after it passes through the digestive tract of an animal? (Can't remember what the bean or the animal even is)

It's called Kopi Luwak and the animal is the civet. I had it once at a farmers market and I can honestly say, it was one of, if not the best coffee I've ever had. It is incredibly smooth and easy drinking. Because of how smooth it is it lets you focus on the different notes in the coffee more than some of the more acidic ones (though I enjoy acidic coffees too). That being said, it's prohibitively expensive for most people. It's usually somewhere in the $80-100/lb price range. I think I paid $7 for a cup of it. If you ever get a chance to try it (any can get over the thought of drinking something that's been through an animal) I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Coffee guys.. I'm going to be purchasing a few different types of methods to try them out and decide which is best for me. I currently have a french press which I like, but want to go to something without oil (and the cholesterol effects, because I have a problem with that and don't want to futz around with it)..

So I'm looking at the following:

Clever Coffee Dripper
HIC Porcelain / Frieling Cilio Porcelain / Miletta Plastic Ready Set Joe
AeroPress

If I'm going to get a CCD, should I even bother with the other pour over, considering a CCD when placed over a cup is an automatic pour over, right? If there is a significant difference worth me purchasing a dedicated pour over, which would you recommend.. porcelain vs plastic? Seems like the two differences are heat transfer and the BPA impact.

And last but not least... who makes the best #4 filter for the price?